Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was under the impression that CMANO was particularly brutal towards helicopters, and that was one of the reasons we avoided using them.

That's entirely possible, The helicopters that we've seen so far didn't exactly make a huge impact (except Dos Santos' of course :v: ).
It just seems like a missed opportunity to not try everything that CMANO has to offer. (Even if it means just leasing helicopters/botes/whatever for an op.)

That's very meta-LPing of course.

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Yes, it would be nice if the enemy did something else other than keep lifting jets to be shot down by missiles they can't even see. Most of the Angolan planes were just marks on the radar, helpless before the Meteors.

Also, I dunno what kind of high-end strikes do you have in mind where you leave AA in place.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
1 Ivanov Attack
2 K&P Attack
3 Ivanov Support

cannonfodder43
Jul 15, 2004
Considering the strong boat lobby combined with the very fair point that boats are super expensive and very campaign specific, I would suggest they be contracted as needed. Like how we get assets such as Rohan, at the start of a campaign be given some choices on who to contract. Then we could have lots of potential play styles, like getting one aegis ship to serve as theater AA, or a mob of cheap pirates to go along with our crazier ideas.

And of course, any mercenary boats we contract would still report to Admiral Grey Hunter and have to deal with us randomly renaming everything.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

JcDent posted:

Yes, it would be nice if the enemy did something else other than keep lifting jets to be shot down by missiles they can't even see. Most of the Angolan planes were just marks on the radar, helpless before the Meteors.

Also, I dunno what kind of high-end strikes do you have in mind where you leave AA in place.

Standoff on things at the edge of the umbrella or just not having to scour even Korean War era machine guns from the earth before hitting targets.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
1: K&P Fighter
2:K&P CAS/Attack
3: Blfm attack

I think having missions that force choices will create more fun that trying to limit specific assets

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
  1. Ivanov Fighter
  2. Ivanov Attack
  3. K&P Attack

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It's sort of a tautology in CMANO: helicopters work fine in missions where helicopters work fine. You don't want to run them against air defenses but you can use them for all sorts of interesting stuff like coastal raiding, limited strikes, and of course CAS where things are undefended. In mixed scenarios the key is usually to manage their timing so that dangers have already been eliminated by other assets or to do openings with them before forces are marked hostile by either side.

e: Plus naval. Helicopters work well doing certain naval tasks like dealing with very small boats, emplacements/offshore oil rigs and platforms, ASW, and recon.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 24, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I guess helos would do OK in a GWoT/Operation Bomb Useless Dirt situation, it's just that CMANO isn't made for that.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

JcDent posted:

I guess helos would do OK in a GWoT/Operation Bomb Useless Dirt situation, it's just that CMANO isn't made for that.

dunno, those helos would have pretty helpful during our last hitch where we blew up a hell of a lot of SAMless ground forces

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

The way I see it helos could be a fantastic money maker for us.

Just about EVERY theater has stuff that needs VTOL transports of some kind.and having a fleet of 20 or so cheap helos to run supply/transport/insertion missions for customers could be a potential goldmine.

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 24, 2017

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

power crystals posted:

Wait hold on, CMANO has the A-10 flying with 6x Mavericks which was never used in reality (and iirc 6x AGM-65K isn't even possible, I'm pretty sure those need the single rail due to their larger size) but we can't get dual rails for our Maverick Phantoms?

It does? Link?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
1) K&P Attack
2.) Ivanov Attack
3) K&P Fighter

Down with the wrong-votersbote lobby. Seriously I choose to believe it when the top 2 mission planners we have say it's going to be a terrible idea.

BOTE melek kol ha'olam!!!

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 24, 2017

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Dimitris posted:

It does? Link?

Look at the link in Yooper's procurement packages.

Z the IVth posted:

1) K&P Attack
2.) Ivanov Attack
3) K&P Fighter

Down with the wrong-votersbote lobby. Seriously I choose to believe it when the top 2 mission planners we have say it's going to be a terrible idea.

BOTE melek kol ha'olam!!!

The boat is pretty unimpressive (and those Fishbeds are hilariously awful) but I want to at least see what kind of weirdness that gets us into. K&P's packages are just more of the same which is terribly boring even if stat-wise they're the best choice. I guess consider me firmly on Team Buy A Bunch Of Weird poo poo regardless of the exact brand of said poo poo.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

power crystals posted:

The boat is pretty unimpressive (and those Fishbeds are hilariously awful) but I want to at least see what kind of weirdness that gets us into. K&P's packages are just more of the same which is terribly boring even if stat-wise they're the best choice. I guess consider me firmly on Team Buy A Bunch Of Weird poo poo regardless of the exact brand of said poo poo.

Ivanov attack for you, then.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

power crystals posted:

I voted for K&P CAS because of the MPA and the F-16s but I'm seriously considering changing my main vote to the BFLM CAS package just because holy-gently caress-drones-and-MALDs.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Dance Officer posted:

Ivanov attack for you, then.

That was my third choice after BFLM attack (I want MALDs so bad) and Ivanov support (team boat deserves a chance).

PenguinSalsa posted:

I voted for K&P CAS because of the MPA and the F-16s but I'm seriously considering changing my main vote to the BFLM CAS package just because holy-gently caress-drones-and-MALDs.

Join us :getin:

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

power crystals posted:

That was my third choice after BFLM attack (I want MALDs so bad) and Ivanov support (team boat deserves a chance).

Join us :getin:

(Changing vote)

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 24, 2017

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

power crystals posted:

Ivanov support is a step back to the 70s era. Hinds got downed in big numbers in Afghanistan and Chechenya by MANPADS now 40 years old and very common, and the version on offer to us has no defensive measures installed. The Fishbed hasn't had its weapon loadout updated since the 70s and so is as effective as the SK60B's are. They are also missile magnets at this point. The Buyan is actually a decent missile corvette (yooper mislabeled it) but there's only one, it's not particularly useful and it will bite the dust when it comes under any sort of determined attack unless we divert precious CAP resources to protect it. I don't know anything about the Su-24 and An-12, but apparently they're OECM planes? Still, 4 OECM planes is much more than we need.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
Ivanov Support
K&P Attack
Ivanov Fighter

Always vote Bote!
Failing that, whatever an Atlantic Baguette is, I want one.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Dance Officer posted:

Ivanov support is a step back to the 70s era. Hinds got downed in big numbers in Afghanistan and Chechenya by MANPADS now 40 years old and very common, and the version on offer to us has no defensive measures installed. The Fishbed hasn't had its weapon loadout updated since the 70s and so is as effective as the SK60B's are. They are also missile magnets at this point. The Buyan is actually a decent missile corvette (yooper mislabeled it) but there's only one, it's not particularly useful and it will bite the dust when it comes under any sort of determined attack unless we divert precious CAP resources to protect it. I don't know anything about the Su-24 and An-12, but apparently they're OECM planes? Still, 4 OECM planes is much more than we need.

USSR helicopter losses in afghanistan were actually relatively light. We're talking 74 hinds over the span of 9 years to all causes (with 333 helis of all types lost altogether and 118 fixed wing aircraft). Compare the nearly 8400 aircraft the US lost over Vietnam, the majority of which were helis and not counting the additional 2500 lost by the south Vietnamese.

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 24, 2017

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

orcbuster posted:

USSR helicopter losses in afghanistan were actually relatively light. We're talking 74 hinds over the span of 9 years (with 333 helis of all types lost altogether and 118 fixed wing aircraft). Compare the nearly 8400 aircraft the US lost over Vietnam, the majority of which were helis and not counting the additional 2500 lost by the south Vietnamese.

the big difference here is that in afghanistan the russians were fighting a bunch of poorly equipped yokels in a relatively small conflict and the US had to deal with a large, capable, well-equipped army.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Dance Officer posted:

the big difference here is that in afghanistan the russians were fighting a bunch of poorly equipped yokels in a relatively small conflict and the US had to deal with a large, capable, well-equipped army.

Vast majority of US aircraft losses were in South Vietnam fighting against the VC in what amounted to COIN duty and vast majority of losses were to good old fashioned AAA and small arms fire. SAMS were mostly a threat to the comparatively rare strikes against the north. USSR had it right by making their Hinds virtually immune to small arms fire.

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 24, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Excluding those lost to small arms fire.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

orcbuster posted:

Vast majority of US aircraft losses were in South Vietnam fighting against the VC in what amounted to COIN duty and vast majority of losses were to good old fashioned AAA and small arms fire. SAMS were mostly a threat to the comparatively rare strikes against the north. USSR had it right by making their Hinds virtually immune to small arms fire.

aye and the truth is still that a man with an igla still makes an area of 3nmi around inaccessible for a hind

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Dance Officer posted:

aye and the truth is still that a man with an igla still makes an area of 3nmi around inaccessible for a hind

If that was the case then USSR losses would have been far higher. Truth is that MANPADS ain't all that even against helis, considering the countermeasures that were developed by both the USSR/Russia and the US like flares and infrared dazzlers. Considering the mindboggling number of CAS missions flown by both the US and Russia with apaches and Hinds in recent years compared to the very small number of losses in an enviroment where manpads are plentifull I'd say their threat is largely overstated.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

power crystals posted:

Can't find a link with loadout, sorry! Can you share? thanks.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dimitris posted:

Can't find a link with loadout, sorry! Can you share? thanks.

I think it's this one they're referring to.

https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataAircraft?ID=3889

:catdrugs: :catdrugs:

4 Hours to go!!!

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

BTW I'm not advocating that we get Attack helicopters. I'm actually firmly against them as I believe they have limited utility in the sort of missions we conduct. Weapon capable Helis can wait untill we get boats and ASW helis.

Utility helis on the other hand would be sweet.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks! I'll take it up with our DB gods.

Last time i checked that, LAU-88s were retired because they had electrical problems in the triple-load setup and firing the inner Maverick scorched the flaps so it was allowed only as a wartime load.

Maybe it's 6 Mavs spread over 6 pylons instead of 2 triples. I'll check.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Dimitris posted:

Thanks! I'll take it up with our DB gods.

Last time i checked that, LAU-88s were retired because they had electrical problems in the triple-load setup and firing the inner Maverick scorched the flaps so it was allowed only as a wartime load.

Maybe it's 6 Mavs spread over 6 pylons instead of 2 triples. I'll check.

A-10 only has 2 Maverick capable hardpoints.

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 24, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, sign me up as a pilot, callsign Aster. I'll fly anything as long as it's a early Cold War rustbucket deathtrap

IllustriousChen
Feb 16, 2012
1. Ivanov Support
2. Ivanov CAS
3. Ivanov Fighter

Put me on the bote if we get it. Or whatever otherwise. Call sign Salty

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I assume the option exists to model the LAU-88 option being there, even if not used today. I know DCS lets you use two of the three pylons, with the inner of each being left empty due to mentioned reasons.

My "gently caress you, aerodynamics" loadout was 4 Maverick Ds and 4 CBU-105.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

It seems Ivanov Attack and K&P Attack are well ahead. I think Ivanov has the edge in votes.

Can we take out a loan for the bote? I mean, what's 10 million in interest, right?

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 24, 2017

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Dandywalken posted:

I assume the option exists to model the LAU-88 option being there, even if not used today. I know DCS lets you use two of the three pylons, with the inner of each being left empty due to mentioned reasons.

My "gently caress you, aerodynamics" loadout was 4 Maverick Ds and 4 CBU-105.

My "gently caress you, gravity" loadout was about 20000lb overweight. Max fuel, max weapons.

It would still just barely take off with a lot of care and every last inch of runway. I would not recommend it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

RA Rx posted:

I'm pretty sure either Ivanov Attack or K&P Attack are well ahead. I think Ivanov has the edge in votes.

Can we take out a loan for the bote?

Oh well, at least Ivanov Attack gives us carrier-capable fighters that we can use for our flagbote.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

RA Rx posted:

It seems Ivanov Attack and K&P Attack are well ahead. I think Ivanov has the edge in votes.

Can we take out a loan for the bote? I mean, what's 10 million in interest, right?

I count 43-35 in K&P attacks favour.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I think K&P Attack is slightly ahead at the moment. If you want some sweet Fencer action, you know what you have to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

orcbuster posted:

I count 43-35 in K&P attacks favour.

Does that include alternate votes?