Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

empty whippet box posted:

I always thought CS Lewis loving sucked too and it irritates me to no end that christians hold him up as some kind of example. His bullshit made no sense and they probably haven't actually read it anyway.

I took a fantasy course as an undergrad. Good god. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe is just not good. But I might be an elitest cause I also thought Tolkien was trash. Northern Lights was alright but I didn't really give a poo poo. Literally the only two books from that class I enjoyed were Fire Logic and Batman Year One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Pander posted:

e: I loved FC3 but held off on FC4 because I'd JUST played FC3 and wasn't jonesing for more of it. Now I'm jonesing for more of that so FC5 is definitely on buy list

I loved FC3. Was a great game when it came out. Still kinda is. That said, FC4 is seriously an improvement upon it in every way, with the most major one being plot. It's easily one of my favorite games from the last 5 years. I cannot recommend it enough.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Alter Ego posted:

I am SO going to buy this if that's the case.

How are you going to get a tiger into missourah though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've never played a far cry game but that's the first one that sounds remotely interesting, dunno if there's even been a game with that premise. Feel like I'd have hears fox news or something going absolutely ballistic about it.

Edit: also I knew Christians have been trying to undermine education for a while now, but never realized they had an entire organization devoted to it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Apoplexy posted:

On the opposite note of Baptist Anime: Far Cry 5 info is coming out and it looks like the game is not only going to loving own, but be about killing white Christian supremacists in Montana. What're the odds the MAGA chuds are out in full force already, complaining about how it's not Muslims you're shooting and that LIBTARDS ARE RUINING ARE GAMES?

Oh my goodness, is that real? Day one loving buy.

Goddamn, how could you not post the release image!

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Pander posted:

oh my god that last guy is getting warm

Me?! A BAD GUY?! *threatens all his daughters boyfriends with physical violence*

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Goddammit, my brain forgot which series was which, and I thought that the next Just Cause game was going to be in Montana, which would have been AMAZING

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crain posted:

Oh my goodness, is that real? Day one loving buy.

Goddamn, how could you not post the release image!

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Captain Invictus posted:

I've never played a far cry game but that's the first one that sounds remotely interesting, dunno if there's even been a game with that premise. Feel like I'd have hears fox news or something going absolutely ballistic about it.

It's going to be a fun game but all the people who are excited about the plot of 5 are totally forgetting how awful and heavy handed the plots from 3 and 4 were

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

The 7th book of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure involves the main characters finding Jesus and using the power of Christ to solve their conflicts.

This is actually not quite correct: it is the bad guy who acquires the full power of Jesus, our heroes have to stop him by unleashing the power of italian renaissance art. Also, that bad guy: the President of the United states, somewhat topical, I guess.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Edit: I'm a slow idiot, again.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ubisoft striking while the iron's hot, for once.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

I like to think the villain is wearing as seen on TV HDvision glasses

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

That's the weirdest reality.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingorc posted:

Tolkien hated the Narnia books and they were SUPER good friends, so you're hardly alone.

I think a number of Narnia books hold up really well for what they are.

I was referring to his collections of essays mostly but Narnia also sucks and is garbage.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

I just don't understand how that could rationally hold u... Oh, Fox News reporter. Okay.

For a moment there, I thought I was taking crazy pills. I just don't see how the CBO finds these three prongs under the policy I read.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

empty whippet box posted:

I always thought CS Lewis loving sucked too and it irritates me to no end that christians hold him up as some kind of example. His bullshit made no sense and they probably haven't actually read it anyway.

I remember liking the first Narnia book as a kid well enough, but I tended to lap up pretty much any fantasy books I could find in my school library. I also remember not liking the other books as much and eventually just being completely bored with the last ones because it was dealing with a bunch of crap I didn't give a drat about and was an incoherent mess and I could never figure out why.

That is until I as an adult was told it was all basically a retelling of bits from the Bible, almost word for word in some places.

I wish I could say I now read better fiction except I barely read books anymore :(

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

theflyingorc posted:

Tolkien hated the Narnia books and they were SUPER good friends, so you're hardly alone.

I think a number of Narnia books hold up really well for what they are.

I read those books as a kid and the allegory completely flew over my head and I only heard about it later

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Moxie posted:

I like to think the villain is wearing as seen on TV HDvision glasses

Shooting/hunting glasses. Lots of them Hickenese folks wear them around.

If the character were older you could also just call'em glaucoma driving glasses.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/867451298353905665

Get hosed Spicer.

quote:

Pres. Trump met with Pope Francis and Sean Spicer, a Catholic who eagerly anticipating the meeting, wasn't with him

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Memnaelar posted:

I just don't understand how that could rationally hold u... Oh, Fox News reporter. Okay.

For a moment there, I thought I was taking crazy pills. I just don't see how the CBO finds these three prongs under the policy I read.

That's going to happen because the lovely plans allowed by the MacArthur amendment. Compared to the last bill there will be less uninsured and lower premiums, because there will be cheap lovely plans that don't cover much. But it's expected to save less (compared to the previous bill).

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

evilmiera posted:

Did they cross two katanas to supercharge them even more or was that the basic method? This is important stuff here.

No, but the only way you could become a ninja was by undergoing a full immersion baptism, which had been made illegal by ~the government~.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

RiggenBlaque posted:

It's going to be a fun game but all the people who are excited about the plot of 5 are totally forgetting how awful and heavy handed the plots from 3 and 4 were

Don't you rag on 4. 3 was pretty awful, but 4 had some great characters and moral bleakness that should permeate any civil war setting. Game spoilers: The Bad Guy had a totally good reason for starting being bad. The Good Guys are following the footsteps of a baby-murdering rear end in a top hat. The 'Good' Good Guy is a religious nutcase who consigns his neice (I forget if Sabal and the girl whose name I can't remember are related) to religious forced child marriage if he wins. The 'Grey' Good Guy Who's A Gal is a loving psycho who literally conscripts children to continue fighting their civil war while turning Kyrat into a narco-state.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Sean Spicer's continuing total humiliation is the only thing that makes me smile some days.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Apoplexy posted:

Don't you rag on 4. 3 was pretty awful, but 4 had some great characters and moral bleakness that should permeate any civil war setting. Game spoilers: The Bad Guy had a totally good reason for starting being bad. The Good Guys are following the footsteps of a baby-murdering rear end in a top hat. The 'Good' Good Guy is a religious nutcase who consigns his neice (I forget if Sabal and the girl whose name I can't remember are related) to religious forced child marriage if he wins. The 'Grey' Good Guy Who's A Gal is a loving psycho who literally conscripts children to continue fighting their civil war while turning Kyrat into a narco-state.

Don't get me wrong, I like 4, but the plot was pretty heavy handed.
Pagan was a Good Villain though

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Sean Spicer's continuing total humiliation is the only thing that makes me smile some days.

I almost feel bad for him, but then I remember that he's Joseph Goebbels.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Apoplexy posted:

On the opposite note of Baptist Anime: Far Cry 5 info is coming out and it looks like the game is not only going to loving own, but be about killing white Christian supremacists in Montana. What're the odds the MAGA chuds are out in full force already, complaining about how it's not Muslims you're shooting and that LIBTARDS ARE RUINING ARE GAMES?

https://twitter.com/9_volt88/status/867443580692045824

https://twitter.com/aarond/status/867444718040477697

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Moatman posted:

Pagan was the best villain because he'll literally seat you at a dinner table, explain the history of your family, and then take you out shootin' some FUCKIN' GUNZ if you stay put at the beginning.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Mummy Xzibit posted:

I'd give better than even odds that Trump did it deliberately. He can't remember ten minutes ago, but god drat is that spite reflex buried brainstem deep.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/867416368127279104

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Moatman posted:

Pagan was a charismatic rear end in a top hat. I loved him.

I still remember the secret fast ending with him suggesting you go blow some poo poo up with him as being totally :black101:

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I am the ineffective middle manager who is for the 3rd time today emailing the CBO and CC'ing a few random higher ups asking when the report will be delivered.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Blitz7x posted:

Dress for the job you want, right Melania?

few pages ago, but HOLY poo poo!

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I was gonna say, aren't the Call of Duty games about shooting Islamic terrorists? Also I bet these people think that Comstock was the good guy in Bioshock Infinite

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I always think its really telling when Christians identify with the weirdo cultish Christians enough to be offended when they are portrayed in the media somehow.

I guess it goes for any bigot though. For example when someone says "Racist white people are bad" and a bunch of white people get all offended, not realizing that they just outed themselves as racist.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Who let him out into the light? Someone needs to get him back to posting about his new pillow collection.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
For those who have not yet had the pleasure (and would additionally like to stare jaw-agape at a genuine horror this fine afternoon) this is an actual advertisement for "Accelerated Christian Education". In this video children a very cheery and professional voice describes ijn detail how the entire philosophy of A.C.E. can be explained using a metaphor wherein children are compared to livestock that must be constantly rewarded/punished for every action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBUw4iWepk0

This entire system is designed quite literally as a life-size "Skinner Box" for children. I am not exaggerating here, A.C.E. quite literally admits that it bases its approach on the operant conditioning theories that B.F. Skinner developed by experimenting on pigeons. The entire program has been quietly supported behind-the-scenes for years by the conservative "Council for National Policy" and the heavy influence of conservative ideology pervades the entire curriculum. The entire framework of A.C.E. is quite explicitly designed to churn out office drones to work in public office for the GOP.

As a result A.C.E. simulates a corporate office environment in as much detail as possible. Students work alone in silence filling out endless reams of paperwork packets called "PACES" (Packets of Accelerated Christian Education) and students must raise flags to request assistance from a "Supervisor". (There are no teachers in A.C.E., only Supervisors.) The curriculum itself is exceedingly dry and repetitive- and this is by design. The student is forced to engage over and over and over and over with busywork that involves dissecting/repeating/interacting with conservative propaganda. Here are some examples:

And to end all this here is a British activist reading through a 9th grade history PACE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_2tCMlHEBI

This is what the future of American education looks lie under Betsy Devos :smith:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain Invictus posted:

it will easily be the second best far cry after blood dragon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dofacvjRkc

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Trump and Pence have pre-recorded messages for Gianforte going out in phone calls in Montana.

Robocalls are illegal in Montana.(they get away with it by having a live caller call and ask if they can play them a message from the president)

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

I was gonna say, aren't the Call of Duty games about shooting Islamic terrorists? Also I bet these people think that Comstock was the good guy in Bioshock Infinite

Generally yes, although the last one was set in space so I'm not sure how they worked it in there.

• Locked thread