Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

sharktamer posted:

Law looks just as boring as a girl.

Law is the best non-Straw Hat Supernova

oddium posted:

when kizaru first showed up someone said it might be nanomachines. maybe this is wrong it was a while ago

Oh my, I might have to track down that manga thread tbh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

EmmyOk posted:

What is the nanomachines joke, pals?

nerds think citing nanomachines as a joke answer to "why is character able to do [thing]" is still hilarious a decade after MGS4 came out

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

IIRC, it was mentioned that the Pacifista laser weapon was "based on" Kizaru's powers. This goes along with Vegapunk researching devil fruits and generally doing mad scientist stuff (ie building cyborgs and robots). People assumed this meant he had figured out how devil fruits worked and it was NANOMACHINES.

Something like that, anyway.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

The original three were also drawn to look like three famous actors but I'm not sure if that's true of the two new ones.

It was probably just the glasses but I would always think of walter sobchak when I saw kizaru.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

It is actually quite amusing to watch the manga thread repeat itself, many years later. I remember that whole discussion about the 3 admirals codenames and their actor inspirations being discussed independently at least twice.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Have we actually seen Dr Vegapunk in person yet?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mabels big day posted:

Have we actually seen Dr Vegapunk in person yet?

Aside from the decent possibility that Oda did it again, nope nothing outside a silhouette a time or two and similar nothings in the Punk Hazard flashback.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Borsalino looks like Adam Sandler

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Genocyber posted:

My baseless guess would be that Kuma was acting as a deep cover agent for Dragon and did some sort of "betrayal" to the Revolutionaries to get the WG to trust him, along with agreeing to be the prototype Pacifista to strengthen that trust.
Seeing as how he made an agreement to carry out one last favor for the Straw Hats before he went full Pacifista, it kind of makes Vegapunk look like a more reasonable guy -- that or he's just interested in science and not politics which is a pretty common mad science troupe too.

Genocyber posted:

As awesome as it would be for Croc to be a trans dude I don't expect Oda to do it well given how he handled Ivankov.
Ivankov was more of an ode to Rocky Horror type characters than serious representation of trans people. Although that doesn't really excuse the whole island and Sanji's interactions with them played as total comedy.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 24, 2017

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Helmeppo is Green Bull. You have been warned.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

Helmeppo is Green Bull. You have been warned.

It's Coby.

Speaking of Coby though I wonder how he fits in at the end. I'm thinking he becomes the Fleet Admiral and begins reforming the Navy into an actual force for justice while Smoker is to Luffy what Garp was to Roger.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Green Bull is Garp wearing a mask

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

RealFoxy posted:

Ivankov was more of an ode to Rocky Horror type characters than serious representation of trans people. Although that doesn't really excuse the whole island and Sanji's interactions with them played as total comedy.

To be fair to Oda Sanji comes out the other side of his ordeal liking and respecting the island's inhabitants and at no point does Oda imply that they're bad or broken people for living the way they do (Same with Bon Clay). In a weird way it's actually pretty progressive.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

It's Coby.

Speaking of Coby though I wonder how he fits in at the end. I'm thinking he becomes the Fleet Admiral and begins reforming the Navy into an actual force for justice while Smoker is to Luffy what Garp was to Roger.

you're probably right but I hope smoker seems like less of a joke the next time he shows up

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

readingatwork posted:

To be fair to Oda Sanji comes out the other side of his ordeal liking and respecting the island's inhabitants and at no point does Oda imply that they're bad or broken people for living the way they do (Same with Bon Clay). In a weird way it's actually pretty progressive.

When Ivankov is introduced there's a double page spread where he tells someone "your father wanted to be a woman, deal with it. People can be whoever they want to be".

Okama Island is loving horrific, but it at least seems like an awful stereotype that he didn't stop to think about rather than actual malicious intent.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Smoker being the eventual Garp analogue is weird as hell even though it's inevitable. Like, Garp owns and near as we can tell always owned. Smoker did one thing of vague success (on-screen) and has proceeded to functionally be a trashbaby loser ever since. Only reason he even keeps getting promoted is because he gets the credit (or at least used to) for stuff the Strawhats did so the Marines could save face.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

you're probably right but I hope smoker seems like less of a joke the next time he shows up

Yeah he seemed pretty great all through Alabasta up until he went to a stalemate with Ace. I didn't mind him losing to Law because it was a cool and close fight up until Law remembered his power is super OP and took his heart. Losing to Vergo was unexpected though even if he was later revealed to be Pica/Trébol/Diamante level. He's definitely Garp's analogue but is in no way his equal. In fact I'm not entirely sure Garp won't be the Garp to Luffy's Roger.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Smoker is the Worf of One Piece.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

To be fair, all we know about Garp's early days is that he failed to catch Roger repeatedly.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Begemot posted:

To be fair, all we know about Garp's early days is that he failed to catch Roger repeatedly.

They probably punched each other in the face, laughed and shared a couple of drinks and then brofisted before both heading home.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So smoker and luffy except without the massive cigar up smokers rear end.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I personally still think they'll have Coby capture Luffy in the end, having achieved his own dream and helped all his crew achieve theirs Luffy will help Coby achieve his dream of becoming a Great Marine, after all it takes a truly Great Marine to capture the second King of the Pirates. Luffy survives because at this point the World Government is no longer a lovely organisation led by awful people and his own Crew save him from Jail anyway.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Spoilers are out and heads up, Big Moms flashback is tragic. Shocking, I know.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Actually, while everyone has terrible childhoods in One Piece, the most horrible people probably have "awesome" childhoods.

Waiting for some Celestial Dragon to queue up the flashback to their childhood and instead of it being tragic, it's just an entire childhood of MTV's My Super Sweet 16 parties.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah he seemed pretty great all through Alabasta up until he went to a stalemate with Ace. I didn't mind him losing to Law because it was a cool and close fight up until Law remembered his power is super OP and took his heart. Losing to Vergo was unexpected though even if he was later revealed to be Pica/Trébol/Diamante level. He's definitely Garp's analogue but is in no way his equal. In fact I'm not entirely sure Garp won't be the Garp to Luffy's Roger.

I kinda figured Smoker lost to Vergo because he wasn't even trying to fight, he was trying to get Law's heart back because he owed him.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

EmmyOk posted:

It's Coby.

No way Coby is an admiral as long as Akinau is the guy in charge.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

No it's definitely not likely to be Coby. I suspect the only reason he isn't languishing in Impel Down right now is because of Garp. There's not much hope that would extend to Akainu allowing him to be an admiral even if he was strong enough. Though on the other hand Akainu despite being a huge poo poo doesn't hold grudges. He allowed Kuzan to live and Sengoku said he'd repeal his ban on Issho if the latter apologised. I am curious to see how strong Coby will have gotten though because even around W7 and The Paramount War he was nowhere near Luffy's pre-timeskip strength so i don't think the two years would be enough time to get that strong. Maybe Green Bull will be a giant from Elbaph!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
cobys gonna be an admiral in the epilogue and be a cool and dope guy who pets and feeds a puppy while also saving people from Real Bad Guys

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

anime was right posted:

cobys gonna be an admiral in the epilogue and be a cool and dope guy who pets and feeds a puppy while also saving people from Real Bad Guys

He will be fleet admiral you freaking punk! Also what is your av from.

I think Kong will fight Dragon.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Coby's all the way up to Captain now, but that's not too strong

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

EmmyOk posted:

http://f1x-2.deviantart.com/art/Panophobia-590319871

smoker will be fleet admiral!!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if smoker ended up fleet admiral with coby as the next generation's garp analog

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

EmmyOk posted:

If Kong doesn't fight anybody the entire show it will be a huge disappointment. Just lol if you don't think that dude has like a Mythical Zoan fruit Model: Son Goku or something.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kong will scale the highest tower in Mariejois swatting away bird zoans from the revolutionary army.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

The original three were also drawn to look like three famous actors but I'm not sure if that's true of the two new ones.

Google Shintaro Katsu as Zatoichi

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

you should have picked the burger

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

how many sea creatures are at the bottom of the ocean unable to move because they nibbled on a floating devil fruit.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
I bet Garps assistant will be one of the new admirals, since he's modelled after an actor (Humphrey Bogart).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
http://readms.net/r/one_piece/866/4285/1

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Behold the Bad Dog