Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

New Larry Cohen doc looks pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPblr7nKaYw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

ruddiger posted:

New Larry Cohen doc looks pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPblr7nKaYw

Goddamn, Fred Williamson is looking good for a guy pushing 80.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New Spider-Man trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0D3AOldjMU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man that looks super fun and cool.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Movie fight potential is not lookin' good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, that...doesn't look good. I do like how "warm" it looks, though, it reminds me of Kick-rear end.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcIlQFPbPnM

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gangsta's Paradise is certainly a novel song to put over that trailer. Will watch, but it opens against Dunkirk iirc, so it's probably boned.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Looks genuinely amazing, love how coming-of-age it is.
This is the Spidey I've wanted for years.

Looks like a visual feast but it's probably going to be a narrative mess with two horribly miscast leads.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Valerian looks way better than Spider-man.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Valerian looks way better than Spider-man.

or Dunkirk, for that matter.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

or Dunkirk, for that matter.

I haven't watched the trailer but figured that was a joke since I haven't heard anyone talk about Dunkirk.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I haven't watched the trailer but figured that was a joke since I haven't heard anyone talk about Dunkirk.

It's neat in theory that Nolan is doing a war movie but apart from the first teaser the trailers really haven't been that impressive.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Some film nerd really needs to do an analysis of the ratio of trailer quality to film quality because there's definitely some correlation to be sussed out

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

new international trailer too that's completely different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY4qZwfSI-o

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
That long 3rd person shot tracking through different environments was super videogamey....but super cool

Not sure if I'll roll with it but i think besson earned my ticket with the dozens of times I've watched the 5th Element

Dunkirk looks like an awful experience and a bore

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Looks great. But one goon mentioned that while Valerian will probably be a good movie, it's likely going to flop at the box office. I'm inclined to agree.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
That international trailer for Spidey makes me want a whole FF Spider-man flick.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Deakul posted:

Looks like a visual feast but it's probably going to be a narrative mess with two horribly miscast leads.

That's weird, I feel EXACTLY the opposite of this.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

MacheteZombie posted:

That international trailer for Spidey makes me want a whole FF Spider-man flick.

Well, you're in luck!

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
Valerian looks visually really nice, but the fact they haven't really given us any idea what it's going to be about and have avoided showing too much of the leads (who I agree are miscast, in the eyes of the common folk) makes me think they know their problems and hope people line up for the visuals and Besson alone. It's gonna tank.
Spiderman looks visually like total poo poo, like bad even for a Marvel film. But I guess they are going for the teenage melodrama angle so it's fitting it looks like Dawson's Creek or some poo poo you would have stumbled on when channel surfing 15 years ago.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zxrpNbjwBc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giYeaKsXnsI

edit: I guess this isn't a movie.. but here it is anyway

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Trailer shows too much no need to see movie

Trailer shows too little movie must be bad

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Are you guys fans of the graphic novel, or what are you basing the miscast thing on

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

morestuff posted:

Are you guys fans of the graphic novel, or what are you basing the miscast thing on

"its the girl from Suicide Squad and the bad guy in Chronicle, totally miscast"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

I think people just think they look weird, which they do, but that's a plus for me.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

MacheteZombie posted:

Trailer shows too much no need to see movie

Trailer shows too little movie must be bad

I would usually agree that not showing much of the plot would be a good thing, but in this case it just feels that there is nothing to show, or it is so generic they don't bother. I remember people saying the same for Suicide Squad's trailers, like how awesome it is that the studio won't "reveal too much of the plot", as if there were any. But I might be wrong, and I hope I am, but having studied and worked in the industry for a decade, I'm too loving cynical and pessimistic to put my trust into studios' efforts. I guess the potential trainwreck-aspect is the only thing I will get any enjoyment out of.

And regarding the miscasting; yeah I think they look weird. I have to think about what the public would want, and Dane Dehaan's school shooter vibe mixed with Delevingne's indifference for everything -attitude aren't really welcoming. But what do I know. They may have millions of instagram followers or whatever. Oh, and they aren't that good at acting to hide those aforementioned problems.

not trolled not crying fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 24, 2017

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

morestuff posted:

I don't like the actors, pretty much.
They're both terrible in everything I've ever seen them in.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Valerian looks cool. These other movies look like poo poo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Deakul posted:

I don't like the actors, pretty much.
They're both terrible in everything I've ever seen them in.

I can see Cara, she hasn't really been in anything noteworthy except Suicide Squad and she was arguably the best part of that movie. So you hated (based off IMDB) her mermaid appearance in Pan? Dane Dehaan is IMO amazing in everything - he brings a great, intense presence and I think he's gonna be our next breakout star. He pretty much owned the part in Chronicle and carried the entire movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

teagone posted:

Looks great. But one goon mentioned that while Valerian will probably be a good movie, it's likely going to flop at the box office.

Well yes, it is this generation's The Fifth Element after all. :v:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

morestuff posted:

Dane Dehaan has huge bags under his eyes that give him a less than heroic appearance, but works really well for something like Chronicle where he's meant to be this sort of outcast loser. He's a fine actor, though, just has the sort of appearance that would work more for a character actor than an action lead.

That being said, I have no idea what actor/actress in their 20s-30s with the charisma to lead an action movie nowadays, although someone will likely share a choice that is blindingly obvious.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

not trolled not crying posted:

Valerian looks visually really nice, but the fact they haven't really given us any idea what it's going to be about and have avoided showing too much of the leads (who I agree are miscast, in the eyes of the common folk) makes me think they know their problems and hope people line up for the visuals and Besson alone.

The trailer says that they're under attack from "an unknown force" and Valerian and Laureline's mission is to discover who they are within the next 10 hours so it looks like they're keeping the villains under their hat so as to avoid spoilers. That really hamstrings them in terms of showing conflict or revealing aspects of the plot in the trailer when they can't even show the bad guys, which is really unfortunate.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think people just think they look weird, which they do, but that's a plus for me.

They look like a weird brother and sister, which is fantastic.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Game of Thrones: :circlefap:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They look like a weird brother and sister, which is fantastic.

Their weird face bones feel like a good match for the movie's overall vibe

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The original Valerian is a tall square-jawed man of action who can punch his way out of any situation

Dane Dehaan is pretty much the opposite of that. :v:

But I'll go and see the film anyway, I'm sure he'll be fine.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
He started out that way, but in later stories is written as much more of a dope.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The original Valerian is a tall square-jawed man of action who can punch his way out of any situation

And then spends most of the stories not doing that.

MacheteZombie posted:

He started out that way, but in later stories is written as much more of a dope.
Yeah, there's story where he enters an intergalactic contest that's all about finding the ultimate manly man and he completely fumbles it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well yes, it is this generation's The Fifth Element after all. :v:

The Fifth Element did ok at the box office though, no? It was in the top 10 for world wide box office results in 1997 — $260 million world wide on a ~$90 million dollar budget.

• Locked thread