Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
it's always super apparent when you use a piece of software that's been exclusively written and designed by engineers

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the product designer vs mechanical and industrial engineers give and take has nothing on the thermonuclear war that is the architect and civil engineer relationship.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

i once worked with a designer who wanted to make a magnetic something-or-other, and specified the substrate material as aluminum. when i questioned that she said "oh it's magnetic aluminum." i blinked and stared and she was like "wait, don't they have that?"

i also worked with an engineer who took my solidworks model of a kitchen product and sliced a bunch of vent holes right into the top surface. i pointed out that this ruined the look of the surface, made ingress points for liquids to spill into the device, and made it impossible to wipe the surface clean in a single pass of a sponge. he irritably replied "well if we put the vents on the side the convection won't be as good."

right now im working with a packaging designer who keeps specifying a certain type of packaging that by all accounts seems to be literally impossible to manufacture. everyone keeps telling her this but she just shuts down and says "we're not supposed to be a company that makes cheap products" and gets mad and yells at everyone. this fight has reemerged every 2-3 weeks for the past 5 months and its getting pretty annoying

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Student designs that uh look great but require a magical 8 axis mill that can move in 4 dimensions to make :haw:

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

also yeah gently caress engineers too they're also terrible like I said I'm stuck in the middle

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mister Sinewave posted:

Student designs that uh look great but require a magical 8 axis mill that can move in 4 dimensions to make :haw:

uh it's called a 3d printer

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
imagine when we have home hobbyist powdered metal sintering

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

imagine

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Yodzilla posted:

it's always super apparent when you use a piece of software that's been exclusively written and designed by engineers

or "linux" as it's commonly known

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
or "any ticketing system I've ever seen."

user interaction doesn't seem to be a consideration in most cases. beep boop.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

was helping my sister looking into a local ferry trip here, and it was super nice

just big screens with big buttons, clear icons & numbers asking in order: return or one-way, which direction, car/hanger size if any, # of passengers, and finally preferred dates & then it throws out a set of trips with prices to compare

probably the nicest ticket system ive seen tbh

dunno if it works in english: https://www.molslinjen.dk/booking/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
a mini tent, for your office nappy-naps https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/egoistemondiale/pause-pod-your-private-pop-up-space-for-relaxation

A_Literate_Negress
May 17, 2017

by zen death robot

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

I got a couple of jpegs

A_Literate_Negress
May 17, 2017

by zen death robot
about $5,000 worth of jpegs

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

kevin, no. No. KEVIN, NO.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
that username tho :eyepop:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BBOWsWODX4

evilcat
May 16, 2009
What better describes kickstarter than a steampunk, leather stovepipe hat with brass gear accents and a flipbook in it?
How about if it's $300 and pledging only $100 gets you a basic flipbook kit that has a cardboard body?
The prices get better from there, $600 gets you the flipbook sans hat but made from thin sheet brass.
I should point out the actual leather hat is $700.

The wifi underwater drone felt like cheating since for ~$600 ($1024 retail) you get a wifi drone with gps for underwater usage, both technologies that are blocked heavily by even a small amount of water.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

evilcat posted:

What better describes kickstarter than a steampunk, leather stovepipe hat with brass gear accents and a flipbook in it?
How about if it's $300 and pledging only $100 gets you a basic flipbook kit that has a cardboard body?
The prices get better from there, $600 gets you the flipbook sans hat but made from thin sheet brass.
I should point out the actual leather hat is $700.

The wifi underwater drone felt like cheating since for ~$600 ($1024 retail) you get a wifi drone with gps for underwater usage, both technologies that are blocked heavily by even a small amount of water.

The underwater ROV indiegogo isn't fully wireless; it's basically a buoy that floats on the surface. You can still have a fully wired configuration if you want, though the tethered buoy isn't anything new. They are heavily misrepresenting their shipping dates though (and I'll be surprised if their first wave actually gets out by June)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are there any steampunk centric folk that are actually self aware of the criticisms lobbied against the aesthetic / genre? There apparently still is a dedicated steampunk section at places like the Bay Area maker faire, and I have doubts it's progressed much more than slightly more elaborate, slightly more expensive cogs strapped to goggles and prop guns.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

moron izzard posted:

Are there any subculture centric folk that are actually self aware of the criticisms lobbied against the aesthetic / genre?

:raise:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

moron izzard posted:

Are there any steampunk centric folk that are actually self aware of the criticisms lobbied against the aesthetic / genre? There apparently still is a dedicated steampunk section at places like the Bay Area maker faire, and I have doubts it's progressed much more than slightly more elaborate, slightly more expensive cogs strapped to goggles and prop guns.

I think they generally take the same approach to criticism that the renaissance fair folks do: "yeah yeah whatever. we're having fun so why don't you go gently caress thyself?"

there are going to be the creepy people who take it entirely too seriously but that's a problem in almost any subculture.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
y'all should watch Steampunk'd, the steampunk artisan reality show. poo poo is hilarious and sad

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

I think they generally take the same approach to criticism that the renaissance fair folks do: "yeah yeah whatever. we're having fun so why don't you go gently caress thyself?"

there are going to be the creepy people who take it entirely too seriously but that's a problem in almost any subculture.

I meant the more fundamental issues of fetishizing the victorian age (though I guess not as terrible as the couples who dress up themselves and live their life like they were in the 40s?)

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i've never met a steampunk person who didn't fully acknowledge that the whole thing is completely ridiculous. i assume there's some crazies that actually take it seriously, but i'm confused by the idea that they're the norm

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran posted:

i've never met a steampunk person who didn't fully acknowledge that the whole thing is completely ridiculous. i assume there's some crazies that actually take it seriously, but i'm confused by the idea that they're the norm

i can't imagine being into that poo poo even ironically

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is it still a hot take to point out that steampunk fetishizes being the 1% of the 1% in an era when that wealth was built on literal slavery

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

is it still a hot take to point out that steampunk fetishizes being the 1% of the 1% in an era when that wealth was built on literal slavery

i thought it was like cyberpunk where people just had computers and fancy sunglasses

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

hifi posted:

i thought it was like cyberpunk where people just had computers and fancy sunglasses

the first couple books did sure but it's now "the adventures of colonel muttonfucker and lady corsetgears in the dark continent, also there are blimps"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

media always has the hero protagonist though.

my only experience with steampunk was arcanum and it's like your party is the only people capable of leveling up. in books it works a bit differently

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

steampunk is a stupid misnomer anyway because it has stripped away all of the elements that make it "punk"

cyberpunk is called that because it combined elements of computing, information, programming, electronics with the anarchist anti-establishment views of punk culture. the good guys are the downtrodden rebels using decks cobbled together out of junk, and the bad guys are the wealthy suits with all the resources.

in (modern) steampunk the computer stuff is replaced with steam stuff, sure, but also the heroes are explicitly the wealthy dukes and landowners who fly around on their private airships and own technology that's worth as much as a small nation

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

the origin of steampunk is always the difference engine

people's lives back then were redolent of some kind of mysterious substance called crinoline and the notion of taking your clothes off to gently caress was a novelty so they were all slaves in a sense

but you're not wrong, imo

computer touchers were always yuge assholes, even lady ada

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

look at this fuckin dude from the wikipedia page.

dude's wearing the military uniform from his campaign to subjugate the Zulu people and he's carrying the cane he uses to beat his servants

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 24, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
i just defended hundreds of years of devastating cultural oppression by trying to paint a mental picture of kate winslet in titanic, btw so feel free to disregard

also, kate winslet for ada lovelace

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
part of the issue is that it makes story sense for cyberpunk neat poo poo to be obtainable by your "not the richest guy in the world" cyberpunk protagonist

bulky rear end neat steampunk poo poo is usually just so blatantly expensive that most writers are just gonna say "ok so my character is actually pretty rich that's why he can afford this thing"

a good writer figures out a way to make it work anyway, but the amount of good writers for steampunk settings ain't too high

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
the laces you'll love to pull!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

moron izzard posted:

I meant the more fundamental issues of fetishizing the victorian age (though I guess not as terrible as the couples who dress up themselves and live their life like they were in the 40s?)

again same as the ren-fair folk the few I've interacted with "address" this by owning the fact that the whole thing is a giant game of calvinball where they make it up as they go along and don't even pretend to try and make it accurate because that time sucked to live in.

the people you have to watch out for are war re-enactors. they are the people that will do things like demand the black guy be assigned to digging the latrine ditch instead of playing an officer because that's more realistic.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
gadget superheroes (bruce wayne, doc savage, tony stark) all tend to be independently wealthy for much the same reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

look at this fuckin dude from the wikipedia page.

dude's wearing the military uniform from his campaign to subjugate the Zulu people and he's carrying the cane he uses to beat his servants

jared kushner has one weird hobby

• Locked thread