Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chilichimp posted:

So am I reading this right? The right-wing has been duped into believing the democrats were funded by George Soros... so they started laundering Russian money through PACs to gain "even footing?"

That's how the GOP works. They accuse a Democrat of doing something wrong, then do it themselves and say it's okay because "Democrats do it too."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

There is not a significant chain of command between the two people signing off on it and the missiles going off. The system is designed specifically to avoid one.

Yeah, it's been brought up multiple times but none of the nuclear launch officers will protest an order. If they do, they are just replaced with the person below them.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

What I love about 4 is how the entire plot is one extended (and according to the writer intentional) jab at the plot of 3.

FC3: Priviledged white dude lands on island, literally becomes their chosen one and frees them from oppressors in two days tops.

FC4: Second generation immigrant in the US goes back to his mother's birthplace, gets caught up in civil war where he ends up mostly as a pawn and due to his misunderstanding of the local politics only ends up making things worse unless if he goes for the secret ending where he literally wait for 14 minutes like his host specifically requested to.

If that's what he wanted he shouldn't have made the antagonist of FC4 a dictator who gleefully talks about murdering people's families to force compliance and is holding a 20+ year-old grudge and making bullshit Freudian excuses for his behavior wherin he holds an entire country responsible for the actions of one person (which is also his fault because he's the one who abused that person's trust to take over the country in the first place). Instead it just becomes "wow turns out everyone is bad but if you get the special ending then I guess you, the person with no experience running a country, will make things ok somehow!"

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Angry_Ed posted:

If that's what he wanted he shouldn't have made the antagonist of FC4 a dictator who gleefully talks about murdering people's families to force compliance and is holding a 20+ year-old grudge and making bullshit Freudian excuses for his behavior wherin he holds an entire country responsible for the actions of one person (which is also his fault because he's the one who abused that person's trust to take over the country in the first place). Instead it just becomes "wow turns out everyone is bad but if you get the special ending then I guess you, the person with no experience running a country, will make things ok somehow!"

It's a video game, ANGRY Ed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Confounding Factor posted:

Cant waste time on hangups!

It's more that the system was designed with two assumptions: (1) you may be launching in response to a USSR launch and/or first strike and so time may be of the essence and/or significant chunks of the chain of command may be dead and (2) the credibility of the deterrence depends on the USSR believing that if the President gives the orders the missiles will launch and that they won't be stopped by someone in between refusing to end the world.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Baronash posted:

Write a loving article, god drat.

You could, but no one would read it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tax returns are coming in slower than expected and we're running out of money

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Tax returns are coming in slower than expected and we're running out of money

Print the coin

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Apoplexy posted:

It's a video game, ANGRY Ed.

Apoplexy posted:

Don't you rag on 4. 3 was pretty awful, but 4 had some great characters and moral bleakness that should permeate any civil war setting. Game spoilers: The Bad Guy had a totally good reason for starting being bad. The Good Guys are following the footsteps of a baby-murdering rear end in a top hat. The 'Good' Good Guy is a religious nutcase who consigns his neice (I forget if Sabal and the girl whose name I can't remember are related) to religious forced child marriage if he wins. The 'Grey' Good Guy Who's A Gal is a loving psycho who literally conscripts children to continue fighting their civil war while turning Kyrat into a narco-state.

It's a video game, Apopolexy :jerkbag:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

A nuke on NK would have serious ramifications on my Korean MMORPGs and Japanese waifu pillows.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

CBO score dropping at 4:30 PM EST:

https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/867470018002505728

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Angry_Ed posted:

It's a video game, Apopolexy :jerkbag:

I am literally apoplectic with rage at your quoting of me earlier in this thread as a response.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Wel thank God! The political anxiety was just eating me up! I'm happy a really lovely poll has cleared that up....

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

1 His administration and the GOP are actively working to:
end public education
end public broadcasting
end the EPA and repeal all climate change regulations
end Medicare and Social Security
ramp up the War on Drugs

2 Thanks for proving the points of the more reasonable people here concerned about exaggeration and scandal fatigue.
Your #3 bullst point LITERALLY "the sky is falling".

1 The sky isn't falling, the ocean is rising.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

evilweasel posted:

It's more that the system was designed with two assumptions: (1) you may be launching in response to a USSR launch and/or first strike and so time may be of the essence and/or significant chunks of the chain of command may be dead and (2) the credibility of the deterrence depends on the USSR believing that if the President gives the orders the missiles will launch and that they won't be stopped by someone in between refusing to end the world.

Good explanation thanks. We can add that to the Democratic agenda when they retake control, what an out of date system. Why havent any reforms been done on it?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

So am I reading this right? The right-wing has been duped into believing the democrats were funded by George Soros... so they started laundering Russian money through PACs to gain "even footing?"

No, it's more likely they realize that they've been dwindling in numbers and are resorting to every trick in the book (including russian money) to try to fight that.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

lol, are any of those facts in dispute?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

evilweasel posted:

They barely investigated. They couldn't find the email (because it didn't exist), then proceeded to continue to act as if it was real while not, say, interviewing the named people.

I once again am in absolute awe that Team Trump looked at how spiteful the FBI can be, how damaging they were to Clinton, and decided 'You know what, boys? Let's piss the guy the FBI likes off as much as humanly possible. Really rub it in there.'

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Good explanation thanks. We can add that to the Democratic agenda when they retake control, what an out of date system. Why havent any reforms been done on it?

I actually don't have any problems with this system, we just need to stop electing literal loving madmen.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This is like a direct hit by a hurricane. Lots of speculation and noise, then silence at 3:30 ET as the eye passes over us and everyone is furiously reading as fast as they can, then twitter blows up as the other side hits

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

So the bill is going to pass reconciliation rules, right

I know we are at the beginning of the Mattering but that doesn't mean that the other shoe isn't just about to drop

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Chilichimp posted:

I actually don't have any problems with this system, we just need to stop electing literal loving madmen.

It's actually loving stupid to empower one person, any person, with the ability to destroy the world. You should have huge problems with this system.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/owillis/status/867459845225689089
https://twitter.com/justinjm1/status/867335894616985601

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Feldegast42 posted:

So the bill is going to pass reconciliation rules, right

I know we are at the beginning of the Mattering but that doesn't mean that the other shoe isn't just about to drop

Unless the bill saves 2 billion dollars over 10 years, no.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I once again am in absolute awe that Team Trump looked at how spiteful the FBI can be, how damaging they were to Clinton, and decided 'You know what, boys? Let's piss the guy the FBI likes off as much as humanly possible. Really rub it in there.'

I've said it before but pissing off law enforcement, secret service and the media is beyond retarded.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Huzanko posted:

It's actually loving stupid to empower one person, any person, with the ability to destroy the world. You should have huge problems with this system.

Yeah I'm pretty loving nervous that the only check on Trump's power to end the world in hellfire is literally God

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Russia still has that capability and has been violating some arms control treaties so there's still a great amount of concern there (though to be fair, we may have started it by all of the ABM work and ending the ABM treaty), and as much as people have disliked various presidents since the end of the Cold War none have been actually insane so nobody ever really needed to contemplate "but what if the President is a tiny-handed temperamental idiot with a small child's understanding of consequences?". Democrats, like Obama, have been more into trying to reduce the number of nuclear weapons and just generally end the threat of nuclear war without really contemplating the idea we might start it.

I suspect that will change.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Cant waste time on hangups!

According to Cold War estimates, there are approximately ten minutes between the time when a potential nuclear launch is detected and the time when a retaliatory strike can be ordered with maximum possible effectiveness; beyond that point, the first nuclear impacts will begin while you're still prepping silos. It also takes approximately 8 minutes to determine the launch trajectory of an ICBM using Cold War technology with accuracy(and actually modern systems aren't as much faster as you'd think). There is literally no time for there to be any checks and balances on the launching of nuclear weapons if you want any kind of deterrence.

The Russian system works the same as ours, but has an additional step in the chain of command in case the President is too drunk.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 24, 2017

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I could be wrong but isn't "reducing nuclear weapons" code for getting rid of obsolete small nukes for much bigger ones in practice?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Huzanko posted:

I don't have a problem with this system because other countries have nukes and their control over when/where they're fired doesn't differ a whole lot.

This system was devised as a deterrent to a nuclear missile launch against the US. It's a credible threat.

While I'm okay with revising the system for offensive/pre-emptive/strategic use of nuclear arms, the MAD doctrine only works if the trigger can be pulled before we're all dead anyway.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Huzanko posted:

The idea was that during the cold war, if the USSR launched nukes at the US we had maybe 40 minutes before we started a 'brave new world', and the POTUS did not have time for formally call congress to get a war declared.

Now they should update the RoE that POTUS can only launch nukes if we are attacked in kind and not for any other reason.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah I'm pretty loving nervous that the only check on Trump's power to end the world in hellfire is literally God

Well, we're hosed

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/867472652331610112

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Huzanko posted:

The issue isn't if one person should have it. One person does have it, and there's nothing we can do to change that: Putin (or his predecessors at the Russian Federation or the USSR). The question is, given that reality, how do you set up the American end-the-world trigger?

Deterrence worked to prevent the use of nuclear weapons in war after World War II. But we are now at the point where the USA has no real fear that anyone is interested in starting WWIII, and our nuclear launch systems should be modified to reflect that. Really, the sticking point is that Russia no longer really has any claim to great power status besides its nuclear arsenal and so it's not willing to give it up or seriously reduce it below Cold War status.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

What a lying gently caress. He said at the town hall he divested of all his Health Care stocks....

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/867475355216609280

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

According to Cold War estimates, there are approximately ten minutes between the time when a potential nuclear launch is detected and the time when a retaliatory strike can be ordered with maximum possible effectiveness; beyond that point, the first nuclear impacts will begin reducing any country's ability to launch their own missiles. It also takes approximately 8 minutes to determine the launch trajectory of an ICBM using Cold War technology (and actually modern systems aren't much faster). There is literally no time for there to be any checks and balances on the launching of nuclear weapons.

The Russian system works the same as ours, but has an additional step in the chain of command in case the President is too drunk.

The counterpoint to this though is, we have enough nuclear weapons to end the world several times over precisely so that even if we are hit we can retaliate. Also, ICBM nuclear submarines exist for precisely this reason: so not all of the nuclear weapons are on land where they can be nuked. We can redesign the system to still provide concrete and certain deterrence, while placing some barrier between Trump and the end of the world.

mcmagic posted:

What a lying gently caress. He said at the town hall he divested of all his Health Care stocks....

He did. At a profit. Afterwards :v:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

According to Cold War estimates, there are approximately ten minutes between the time when a potential nuclear launch is detected and the time when a retaliatory strike can be ordered with maximum possible effectiveness; beyond that point, the first nuclear impacts will begin reducing any country's ability to launch their own missiles. It also takes approximately 8 minutes to determine the launch trajectory of an ICBM using Cold War technology (and actually modern systems aren't much faster). There is literally no time for there to be any checks and balances on the launching of nuclear weapons.

Don't forget the 3rd part of our nuclear triad, subs. That, at least in theory, gives the President more breathing room when it comes to launching a retaliatory strike since the Russians can't first strike a submarine.

It also allowed us to stop relying on bombers as our backup plan in case the Soviets knocked out our silos since bombers like to crash.

I know we still have land based silos, but I wouldn't be surprised if those are getting phased out in favor of sea. And at least we're no longer trying to stick nukes on railroad cars.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Malthus wasn't wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

...first, before you do the anything, learn the basics of Mutually Assured Destruction and why we use it. The whole point of the system is to make it so no nuclear capable country ever even thinks about attacking us with nuclear weapons.

Getting rid of first strike, or making first strike require a much longer chain with multiple checkpoints, is a good idea. The nukes being able to go up quick is not.

• Locked thread