Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Coq au Nandos posted:

This game has a plot?
Something something nuclear meltdowns something dead parents something.

It turns out that ripping out the evil team formula was just one of many bad ideas in this game. It'd still be a terrible plot, but at least you might have a reason to remember what's even going on with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BlazeEmblem posted:

Didn't we already deal with them? I thought that evil scientist group were them, seeing as they are responsible for the Main character's mother's death.

If they don't have any connection to us to make us want to fight them, and they haven't shown up yet to antagonize us to give us a reason to go after them, why are we saving the battle against them until the end? Do they have any reason to fight us in the first place?

...It's Necron, isn't it.
I thought that was a 100% optional sidequest you could completely skip.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

BlazeEmblem posted:

...It's Necron, isn't it.

Necron being the main villain would be a drastic improvement.

EDIT: Also yeah that entire thing was an optional sidequest with no real ramifications on the plot.

Actually running into the evil scientist organization that resulted in your mother's death and getting captured for asking too many questions about them: an optional sidequest.

Pokemon Uranium and plot do not mix.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 24, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BlazeEmblem posted:

Didn't we already deal with them? I thought that evil scientist group were them, seeing as they are responsible for the Main character's mother's death.

That's completely optional and can be done at any time.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress was the point of making this game?

No aspect of it seems like it actually accomplishes what it set out to do. There's been like three cool new pokemon, the gyms seem like a mishmash of ideas that don't gel, the "plot" seems like babby's first fanfiction... How the gently caress did this fan project actually reach completion? Usually lovely things die due to apathy before it actually comes out.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Haifisch posted:

Something something nuclear meltdowns something dead parents something.

So this?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

gently caress, we haven't even met the antagonist!

(This game has an antagonist, that has not appeared yet.)

is it the lead writer

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Coq au Nandos posted:

This game has a plot?

It also has an antagonist who quotes Oppenheimer. But all in due time.

I haven't seen any FUCKIN Oppenheimer yet!!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

this game doesn't deserve oppenheimer

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

alcharagia posted:

I haven't seen any FUCKIN Oppenheimer yet!!
___________________/

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Every time I remember this thread exists I remember that fanart of Agumon, but with a gun exists and that makes me extremely happy. I want this thread to go on forever. You're doing good work OFS

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

rotinaj posted:

What the gently caress was the point of making this game?

No aspect of it seems like it actually accomplishes what it set out to do. There's been like three cool new pokemon, the gyms seem like a mishmash of ideas that don't gel, the "plot" seems like babby's first fanfiction... How the gently caress did this fan project actually reach completion? Usually lovely things die due to apathy before it actually comes out.

9 years of on and off development sounds a lot like apathy, although the actual release was probably, as I previously posted, trying to draw off the hype for Sun and Moon and turn it to their advantage. "Hey, are you angry that Sun and Moon is getting rid of gyms, and hate how we haven't seen Shadow Pokemon since the Gamecube? We have the game for YOU!"

But if they were trying to replicate what the Gamecube spinoffs did, the developers actually missed the point about even Colosseum, let alone XD. Yes, the Shadow Pokemon are heartless killing machines with nothing but hate inside of them thanks to undergoing a horrific process. Yes, XD had on the cover a Shadow Pokemon so completely corrupted that you don't even need specialized gear to tell there is something incredibly wrong with it, and with Cipher going as far out of their way as possible to make absolutely certain it couldn't be purified. Yes, Cipher is either the most evil or tied for most evil villains in the series (with Ghetis).

This ignores how in the first Colosseum game how the admins of Cipher included such terrifying figures as Mirror B and his team of dancing Ludicolo, or an evil talk show host, or how the blatantly evil white-haired man you meet very early on in the game that may as well have screamed "I am the mastermind of Cipher" was actually only the second in command to the actual mastermind, the kindly old mayor of the city.

Or how in the second game the actual main villain is the old man known for being charitable to everyone he meets, and Cipher brings to the field stuff like a Power Rangers ripoff and an admin that is literally a bratty young girl who hates not getting what she wants. And for all the talk about how powerful XD001 is, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from just stuffing the thing into a Master Ball and turning it right back on the organization who made it, because of course you can still capture it; it's a Pokemon game.
And the grunts were every bit as quirky as those seen in regular Pokemon games, to boot.

Don't forget how all those Shadow Pokemon can be purified back to their normal selves just by being actually nice to them and (once ready) bringing them to a local shrine to undo the last of the corruption (exempting XD001, and there's a way to purify even that and bring it back to normal anyways), and that by doing so they actually end up more powerful than they ever were as Shadow Pokemon. Or how the main villain in the second game actually gets convinced to not resort to his "blow up the island base" plan by his son and willingly gives himself up to the authorities once beaten. Or how between Colosseum and XD the region of Orre got significantly better to live in with Cipher beaten back and with the general passage of time; even the plot point in the first game about the region being so inhospitable that wild Pokemon didn't exist was countered in XD by "nah, wild Pokemon are in fact out there, you just have to really look for them".

Colosseum and XD were significantly darker on the surface than a regular Pokemon game, but in reality were in a lot of ways every bit as goofy, fun, and hopeful as several of the actual Pokemon games if you went deeper into them. They were dark, yes, but they were still idealistic like the rest of the series at their heart, which was what made them work.

Pokemon Uranium's opening cutscene went much darker than almost anything seen in an actual Pokemon game by having the mother of the player killed in a nuclear meltdown and having the father (a protagonist in a popular Pokemon spinoff many people played to boot!) becoming cold and distant as a result, and just keeps doubling down from there.

Nuclear Pokemon, up to this point, have with one exception (Nucleon) been such horrible dangers that it is actually almost impossible to even use them in Pokemon battles, due to them refusing to take commands at all and with the written intent of "they are so insane and aggressive that they would turn around and kill their own trainer if they had a chance" surrounding them at all times, given what you read every time you translate their speech into intelligible words. There isn't a way to "purify" them back to normal, and there probably isn't given the permanent damage to the body that radiation causes.

The nuclear meltdowns are being played as horrific disasters that would completely destroy and ruin the ecosystem of the region for years or decades to come. There is absolutely zero recourse the PC has against these catastrophic disasters, except to run as far away from them as possible to avoid falling victim to radiation poisoning (again, given what happened in the remains of the first one we explored), and nothing the Rangers or other adults can really do to help the situation either.

There isn't even an evil but quirky team to try and distract the player from how horrific everything that's going on is. The closest we've seen are the evil scientist group seen in one optional sidequest, and they're treated as nothing but evil sociopaths who were the reason the PC's mom died in that accident all those years back, with absolutely zero attempt at humor, quirkyness (outside of Garlikid saving the day), or being remotely human. It's like Team Plasma but if everyone was Ghetis (and boring), and they aren't even the main villains.

And I think that's the main issue with Pokemon Uranium right there; more than the abysmal game balance or terrible Fakemon designs or at times revolting attempts at humor.

Pokemon is idealistic at it's core. It will tackle dark and serious topics even in the mainline games at times, but in the end it's hopeful for the future.

Pokemon Uranium is pessimistic at it's core. It has (usually only attempted) lighthearted moments like the surfing ninjas, or the rival growing up and becoming more confident in spite of his repeated defeat and the probable death of his father, but at it's heart it instills a feeling of hopelessness and an incapability to change what's happening.

And we haven't even seen the main antagonist yet.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 24, 2017

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
This is relevant to the thread. Anyone remember the Power Plant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ujfsWR6yNg

Hammurabi fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 24, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

the Orb of Zot posted:

Pokemon is idealistic at it's core. It will tackle dark and serious topics even in the mainline games at times, but in the end it's hopeful for the future.

Pokemon Uranium is pessimistic at it's core. It has (usually only attempted) lighthearted moments like the surfing ninjas, or the rival growing up and becoming more confident in spite of his repeated defeat and the probable death of his father, but at it's heart it instills a feeling of hopelessness and an incapability to change what's happening.

And we haven't even seen the main antagonist yet.

Nice post. Also noted earlier in the thread that the Surf Ninja's and the Pirate that gets caught because he can't keep his Swash buckled are the most Pokemon-like goons yet.

At least Uranium has them :shobon:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hammurabi posted:

This is relevant to the thread. Anyone remember the Power Plant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ujfsWR6yNg

THANK YOU

Brother Entropy posted:

we are all garlikid

YES

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

the Orb of Zot posted:

Nuclear Pokemon, up to this point, have with one exception (Nucleon) been such horrible dangers that it is actually almost impossible to even use them in Pokemon battles, due to them refusing to take commands at all and with the written intent of "they are so insane and aggressive that they would turn around and kill their own trainer if they had a chance" surrounding them at all times, given what you read every time you translate their speech into intelligible words. There isn't a way to "purify" them back to normal, and there probably isn't given the permanent damage to the body that radiation causes.

It's actually dumber than that. Look forward to it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

(This game has an antagonist, that has not appeared yet.)

Have they at least been introduced yet? I can't remember what badge we're on, but I think it's past #6.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
We're at the last gym, I think.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

Tired Moritz posted:

We're at the last gym, I think.

I think it's telling that no one can loving remember. Sometimes you have to let go of things when they are terrible, even if you've spent nearly a decade on them. Clearly this "creator" didn't realize that.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
As bad as this is looking to be, after looking up TVTropes on Pokemon Reborn, Uranium still sounds a lot better then that one.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The problem with Uranium* is that there's basically no memorable or recurring cast.

The problem with Reborn** is that there is a huge cast and they all are more important to the plot than you are (and 90% of them are completely unlikable).

*among others
**among others

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

krisslanza posted:

As bad as this is looking to be, after looking up TVTropes on Pokemon Reborn, Uranium still sounds a lot better then that one.
Honestly, they sounded about the same to me until I saw the bit about someone remaking it to make it even harder.

Unless someone's done that for this too.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Oof, caught up to the end of the thread. Was hoping it was complete already! Also, even though this game is terrible it makes me want to make one of my own. Really strip down the types and go crazy on the evolution stuff. 10 evolutions? Why not? Alternate evolutions? Sure! Only one starter that ends up as something massively different based on your choices? Sounds ace.

Now to never do that and have it live on in my dreams only!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Quantum Toast posted:

Honestly, they sounded about the same to me until I saw the bit about someone remaking it to make it even harder.

Unless someone's done that for this too.

There is a built in NuzlockeIronman mode in this game. (C'mon, just call it what it is, then you don't have to link yourself to a lovely 4chan comic that makes :lost: jokes constantly)

Dog Kisser posted:

Oof, caught up to the end of the thread. Was hoping it was complete already! Also, even though this game is terrible it makes me want to make one of my own. Really strip down the types and go crazy on the evolution stuff. 10 evolutions? Why not? Alternate evolutions? Sure! Only one starter that ends up as something massively different based on your choices? Sounds ace.

Now to never do that and have it live on in my dreams only!

You already made that. It was called Digimon World Dusk/Dawn.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'm going to call it nuzlocke and no one will stop me

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

krisslanza posted:

Being better than a game where the opening sequence has you get caught in a terrorist attack and stranded in a region that makes Orre look like paradise in comparison and you see people kill themselves on screen is not a very high bar to clear.

And someone actually then looked at Reborn, thought "this is never going to be finished and still isn't dark enough" and started making Rejuvenation, where several boss fights occur against "Demon Pokemon" corrupted by otherworldly portals.

And I'd still rather play that than Pokemon Omnicron, which retcons Ash Ketchum from the anime that you watched as a kid into being a complete rear end in a top hat of an evil team member, to say nothing of the several other things it completely fucks up.

And those are probably still better than Pokemon Clover, where the fire starter is literally a Muslim suicide bomber. And that's one of the better Pokemon designs in that game in terms of concept and execution.

Compared to those, Uranium is saintly.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We're going to need a megathread for stupid, overly edgy Pokemon hacks sooner or later, won't we?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Blaze Dragon posted:

We're going to need a megathread for stupid, overly edgy Pokemon hacks sooner or later, won't we?

Excuse you, the proper term is "refreshingly adult takes on the Pokémon universe, grounded in reality and full of real world problems".

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Cooperate? Surrender the Forums you call "cooperate?"

Blaze Dragon posted:

I've actually have a complete intro text LP post for Pokemon Reborn complete with screenshots from my LPix account. I just never made the thread because there are already too many ongoing Pokemon LP threads already (including that Touhou Pokemon fangame).

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

To be fair, Clover isn't actually edgy in the same way as the other games, it's a 4chan project instead.

So it's a mixture of fakemon designs offensive by nature (the suicide bomber isn't even the worst offender in that category, there's a fakemon based off of the Twin Towers for one example, and an evolutionary line based off of the KKK), memes (one of the legendaries is literally just Ridley from Metroid but with a mustache on with the name "Notridley", and there are entire evolutionary lines based off of stuff like the dubs/trips thing or the Lost comic from CAD), and very sporadically an idea that actually isn't that bad (such as a literal dragon cannon, or a shark that evolves into a Water/Fighting pirate shark named Davyjaws).

So it's still horrible, but horrible in a completely different way.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Have they at least been introduced yet? I can't remember what badge we're on, but I think it's past #6.

No. It isn't like Kellyn is going to reveal he's causing nuclear catastrophes because blah blah his wife died in one, we straight up have not met the force responsible for the meltdowns, and all the characters are treating them as events with a potential but unconfirmed link.

In fact even telling you there is an antagonist is kind of a spoiler. I don't really mind, though. Bamb'o saying there's a nuclear plant near Tsukinami is literally the first time that sort of thing has been addressed since the meltdown after the 4th badge. Kinda need a reminder that this game has anything going on besides getting badges.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
You know, re: why "dark" doesn't work with Pokemon is that, really, the basic set up (a world filled with god beasts, super alpha predators, superbeings, and literal lovecraftian abominations, in which all but the weakest bottom-of-the-food-chain creatures could easily take down a human, but for some reason humans are the dominant force and these superpowered beings (many of which (like, say, the Abra line) are also vastly more intelligent than any human) are happy to act as friends/pets/fighting dogs for humans and pose absolutely no danger to them) requires a massive dose of humanocentric idealism to work.

If you try to make Pokemon "gritty" or "realistic" or whatever, you end up having to ask why humans aren't at or near the very bottom of the food chain, why they aren't being preyed upon by everything more threatening than a single rattata, why all nations in the world aren't ruled by cabals of Alakazam/Metagross. I like me some edge, but a "gritty" Pokemon game would basically have to not be a Pokemon game. If anything it would be a Lovecraftian Sci-Fi Survival Horror.

I was kind of alluding to that with a post way earlier ITT (that the Pokemon world would be the most terrifying setting if it were less idealistic) but I don't think anyone quite got that (I think it was just taken as "hurr I want pokemon with sex and drugs and adult issues").

I wouldn't mind seeing a game like that though tbh. About humans struggling to survive on a death world in which almost every single bit of fauna is vastly superior to them.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Bydoless posted:

I've actually have a complete intro text LP post for Pokemon Reborn complete with screenshots from my LPix account. I just never made the thread because there are already too many ongoing Pokemon LP threads already (including that Touhou Pokemon fangame).

:confused:

Before this Uranium thread went up, I'm pretty sure mine was the only active Pokemon LP on the forum. I think there's plenty of room for your LP to go up, I'd love to see how batshit some fan projects go, cause Uranium is terrible, but it isn't crazily terrible like some are.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Hammurabi posted:

You know, re: why "dark" doesn't work with Pokemon is that, really, the basic set up (a world filled with god beasts, super alpha predators, superbeings, and literal lovecraftian abominations, in which all but the weakest bottom-of-the-food-chain creatures could easily take down a human, but for some reason humans are the dominant force and these superpowered beings (many of which (like, say, the Abra line) are also vastly more intelligent than any human) are happy to act as friends/pets/fighting dogs for humans and pose absolutely no danger to them) requires a massive dose of humanocentric idealism to work.

If you try to make Pokemon "gritty" or "realistic" or whatever, you end up having to ask why humans aren't at or near the very bottom of the food chain, why they aren't being preyed upon by everything more threatening than a single rattata, why all nations in the world aren't ruled by cabals of Alakazam/Metagross. I like me some edge, but a "gritty" Pokemon game would basically have to not be a Pokemon game. If anything it would be a Lovecraftian Sci-Fi Survival Horror.

I was kind of alluding to that with a post way earlier ITT (that the Pokemon world would be the most terrifying setting if it were less idealistic) but I don't think anyone quite got that (I think it was just taken as "hurr I want pokemon with sex and drugs and adult issues").

I wouldn't mind seeing a game like that though tbh. About humans struggling to survive on a death world in which almost every single bit of fauna is vastly superior to them.

Monster Hunter?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bydoless posted:

Imo there's no such thing as to many LPs of any type. You should really :justpost: that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leraika posted:

Monster Hunter?

Exactly what I was about to post. You either get Monster Hunter, Xenoblade, or the planet that Doomsday was created on.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It could also work for a game under the SMT Umbrella - Nocturne was kind of like that in the few remaining humans (and their stand-in Manikins) were pretty much at the utter mercy of demons, even SMT4 and Strange Journey had the 'these wandering demons can utterly wreck the poo poo out of anyone who isn't armed and prepared'

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

God Eater and Toukiden series also fits that criteria. Humanity pushed to the brink and you're basically just fighting to survive.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Imo there's no such thing as to many LPs of any type. You should really :justpost: that.

Got to agree. People want to see Pokemon Reborn and how poo poo it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Dog Kisser posted:

Only one starter that ends up as something massively different based on your choices? Sounds ace.

Not gonna lie, I actually kinda want this. Maybe not in an official game, but definitely in a fan game. First form has 3 alternate evolutions, one for Fire, Water, and Grass, and then those forms each have 2 alternate evolutions which decide their secondary type (or, possibly, have 1 evo be mono-type and the other be dual-type, w/e). So there would be a total of 6 possible end results.

• Locked thread