Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B B
Dec 1, 2005

Report is up:

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52752

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Alter Ego posted:

Is there any chance the CBO score isn't as bad as we've been predicting?

Republicans run the board. Expect them to give a rosey opinion along party lines.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/867471425623527424

As JFK would say, the Trump cabinet has the highest accumulation of intelligence since Jefferson last used his chamber pot.

The dude went from rags to riches by becoming a doctor. Believing that he did so because he was more right than other people is core to his identity

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I do get on a plane in 45 minutes and I don't want to buy in flight Wi-Fi please give me that CBO.

Edit: Yessssssssssssss

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

:siren: :siren: It's up.:siren: :siren:

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
51 million uninsured by 2026 hahaha holy poo poo

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It qualifies for reconciliation.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Surprise surprise, it's even worse.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
poo poo. It made the filibuster proof number, didn't it?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

axeil posted:

Holy poo poo, that's even WORSE than the first bill.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Yep. It's really, really bad.

$1.1 billion in estimated savings. This bill is screwed.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
23 million more, not much different from the 24 of the previous law

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

evilweasel posted:

It qualifies for reconciliation.

Knew it.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

axeil posted:

Holy poo poo, that's atrocious

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
CBO confirms the health insurnace market will implode (for some states)

CBO posted:

However, the agencies estimate that about one-sixth of the population resides in areas in which the nongroup market would start to become unstable beginning in 2020. That instability would result from market responses to decisions by some states to waive two provisions of federal law, as would be permitted under H.R. 1628. One type of waiver would allow states to modify the requirements governing essential health benefits (EHBs), which set minimum standards for the benefits that insurance in the nongroup and small-group markets must cover. A second type of waiver would allow insurers to set premiums on the basis of an individual’s health status if the person had not demonstrated continuous coverage; that is, the waiver would eliminate the requirement for what is termed community rating for premiums charged to such people. CBO and JCT anticipate that most healthy people applying for insurance in the nongroup market in those states would be able to choose between premiums based on their own expected health care costs (medically underwritten premiums) and premiums based on the average health care costs for people who share the same age and smoking status and who reside in the same geographic area (community-rated premiums). By choosing the former, people who are healthier than average would be able to purchase nongroup insurance with relatively low premiums.

CBO and JCT expect that, as a consequence, the waivers in those states would have another effect: Community-rated premiums would rise over time, and people who are less healthy (including those with preexisting or newly acquired medical conditions) would ultimately be unable to purchase comprehensive nongroup health insurance at premiums comparable to those under current law, if they could purchase it at all—despite the additional funding that would be available under H.R. 1628 to help reduce premiums. As a result, the nongroup markets in those states would become unstable for people with higher-than-average expected health care costs. That instability would cause some people who would have been insured in the nongroup market under current law to be uninsured. Others would obtain coverage through a family member’s employer or through their own employer.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Alter Ego posted:

Holy poo poo, that's even WORSE than the first bill.

No it isn't that's the total, change from current law is 23, first bill was 24 iirc

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's over loving double isn't it? First one was 24 million, now 51?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Aves Maria! posted:

Holy poo poo, that's atrocious

28 is what would happen under the current law. It's basically exactly the same as the first version

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BruceBartlett/status/867479150168338433

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Someone get Rob Quist's campaign on the phone and give them these numbers so they can slap them in a last-minute ad.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Whew boy those premium increases by 2020 are bleak

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
So now the play is Ryan submits it to the Senate, the Senate basically ignores it and writes their own bill, then we get a replay of two months ago with the Freedom Caucus getting leaned on extra-hard to support the Senate version?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Will cause insurance premium increase of 20% in addition to uninsuring 23 million people, whee.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Let's just kick 15% of the country off health insurance, what could possibly go wrong

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

14 million next year, 23 million by 2026.

That's the increase in uninsured.

The first version of the bill was 24 million by 2026, so this is not much better.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Post-math world baby.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That's over loving double isn't it? First one was 24 million, now 51?

51 million total.

24 million was the difference from Obamacare

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

theflyingorc posted:

28 is what would happen under the current law. It's basically exactly the same as the first version

Yeah, but the first version of the bill was also atrocious

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

It does appear that it will be reconciliation-compatible. No house revote needed, I think.

It saves a bit less money than the last evil bill, but saves enough. Slightly fewer people will be uninsured in evil bill #2 than in evil bill #1, but its still a horrifically evil bill.

edit: oh poo poo long-term its way worse on uninsured

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

Although premiums would decline, on average, in states that chose to narrow the scope of EHBs, some people enrolled in nongroup insurance would experience substantial increases in what they would spend on health care. People living in states modifying the EHBs who used services or benefits no longer included in the EHBs would experience substantial increases in out-of-pocket spending on health care or would choose to forgo the services. Services or benefits likely to be excluded from the EHBs in some states include maternity care, mental health and substance abuse benefits, rehabilitative and habilitative services, and pediatric dental benefits. In particular, out-of-pocket spending on maternity care and mental health and substance abuse services could increase by thousands of dollars in a given year for the nongroup enrollees who would use those services. Moreover, the ACA’s ban on annual and lifetime limits on covered benefits would no longer apply to health benefits not defined as essential in a state. As a result, for some benefits that might be removed from a state’s definition of EHBs but that might not be excluded from insurance coverage altogether, some enrollees could see large increases in out-of-pocket spending because annual or lifetime limits would be allowed. That could happen, for example, to some people who use expensive prescription drugs. Out-of-pocket payments for people who have relatively high health care spending would increase most in the states that obtained waivers from the requirements for both the EHBs and community rating.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
BREAKING: poo poo Bill Still poo poo

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Aves Maria! posted:

Yeah, but the first version of the bill was also atrocious

It's true, but I was really hoping that this one would eclipse the first one.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

quote:

H.R. 1628, as passed by the House, would tend to increase such premiums before 2020, relative to those under current law—by an average of about 20 percent in 2018 and 5 percent in 2019, as the funding provided by the act to reduce premiums had a larger effect on pricing.

This is kinda big. Larger premium increase in 2018 than the current law by 20%(!!!) during an election year.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

It has to save $2 billion in order to pass to the Senate, I believe.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/24/upshot/how-to-read-the-cbo-score-of-the-health-bill-like-an-expert.html

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Christ, Medicaid is completely gutted. The medical option for the poor is gonna be straight up euthanasia only at this rate.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Teddybear posted:

14 million next year, 23 million by 2026.

That's the increase in uninsured.

The first version of the bill was 24 million by 2026, so this is not much better.

Yeah I don't see anyone being able to sell this bill with these numbers, regardless.

"No, see, it's OK! Instead of 24 million, it's only 23 million!"

I do not see this abomination getting 50 votes + Pence in the Senate. Too many Senators need to keep their jobs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rigel posted:

It does appear that it will be reconciliation-compatible. No house revote needed, I think.

It saves a bit less money than the last evil bill, but saves enough. Slightly fewer people will be uninsured in evil bill #2 than in evil bill #1, but its still a horrifically evil bill.

The board is republican-led. There was no way in hell it wouldn't be reconciliation compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

haveblue posted:

Let's just kick 15% of the country off health insurance, what could possibly go wrong

Soon they're gonna have to hire Mexican immigrants to remove the bodies littering the streets.

• Locked thread