Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Egypt is probably a waste of resources at this point. Have you considered moving those Ottoman forces either to the Caucasus or to Serbia? It's about time for Greece and/or Romania to enter the war...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Does the AI get any bonuses or cheats for its side?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Neophyte posted:

Well, it does get Grey Hunter as its opponent.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Neophyte posted:

Yep. By default, the AI gets detection bonuses so it can see farther through the fog of war than a player, and it gets a bonus to leader activation. These can be reduced or increased in the settings.

I suspect it also gets (spoilers from Grey Hunter's posted save) undocumented bonuses to coordinating movement and MttG mechanics. For a player, only GHQs and connected armies can be set to move together and can assist each other from neighboring provinces. The Western Entente forces in Grey's save are even more poorly organized than his own (the only 2 armies connected to Kitchener's HQ are outside its command radius, and therefore should not be able to either MttG or synchronize movement, and there are no armies connected to the French GHQ at all), yet the Entente forces have certainly been moving and fighting in a way that suggests the opposite.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

What are the practical effects of Grey Hunter losing all these places in the Rhineland? Is it like Hearts of Iron where it basically cuts down on his manpower and resources?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Dr. Tough posted:

What are the practical effects of Grey Hunter losing all these places in the Rhineland? Is it like Hearts of Iron where it basically cuts down on his manpower and resources?

Cities generate conscripts, funds, and supplies, though I don't think there's a way in this game to see exactly how much each generates. In some AGEOD games, like RoP and RUS, there was a mapmode that told you exactly what each city gave you. So losing those cities will hurt Grey, but only in that he's no longer gaining the conscripts (not an issue unless you have money to put it all in the field anyway), money (not an issue as long as you're far enough ahead in National Morale to print more money via decision), or supply (not really ever an issue). It's not like there's a whole German steel industry concentrated in the Rhineland and dependent on Rhineland coal.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
You can right click on a city on the map to see the "buildings" in the province that produce material, and there are definitely Rheinland provinces that produce vital war supply that it's really tough to manage losing as the Centrals if you want to keep apace of artillery production, for example.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

HannibalBarca posted:

You can right click on a city on the map to see the "buildings" in the province that produce material, and there are definitely Rheinland provinces that produce vital war supply that it's really tough to manage losing as the Centrals if you want to keep apace of artillery production, for example.

Oh, cool. Normally I wouldn't even consider losing war supply all that big a deal because you can build all available medium artillery well before the end of 1915, but Grey might not have focused on artillery as much as I do.

I still don't think Grey's in a terrible position. The Eastern Entente should be spiraling down in the next year, freeing up huge numbers of troops for the west.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

dublish posted:

I still don't think Grey's in a terrible position. The Eastern Entente should be spiraling down in the next year, freeing up huge numbers of troops for the west.

Let's hope they get freed up before we have French troops lounging in Berlin. It's hard to deny that the war in the west is kind of a disaster.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

At this moment Central Powers seem to have lower national morale than Eastern Entente... It looks like every bit of German soil lost also has some heavy effect.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Grey, once you get that pocket liquidated in Poland, what's your plan? IMO you need to move a corps or two of Germans to the Balkans and Italian border ASAP - they should be able to help clean those up right away, and you should be able to spare some more troops to go West as well. Maybe even before the pocket is liquidated. Knocking out Serbia and bringing Italy under control should free up a goodly amount of AH units as well. I think Dublish has a point - it's entirely possible that Romania could come in, and that might unhinge the Austrians altogether if they don't have Serbia cleaned up first.

dublish posted:

Egypt is probably a waste of resources at this point. Have you considered moving those Ottoman forces either to the Caucasus or to Serbia? It's about time for Greece and/or Romania to enter the war...

Regarding Egypt - if he doesn't clear the UK out, the AI will have a new army there in short order anyway, and those troops currently trying to take Cairo will be rushed back to the Sinai to fight a retreat into Palestine. It sucks, but i don't think abandoning Egypt at this point is a viable option. Free up some low quality Turkish troops now but be in a far worse position in 6 months or so.....

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Status report from a parallel universe: my Central Powers game is going great! We've developed a strongly held line from Boulougne to the pre-war Franco-German border, have sent EE national morale into a death spiral (though have yet to capture any major city besides Lodz), are hunting down the last few Serbian militia units, are making progress against Romania, closed Salonika almost as soon as it opened, are mopping up Gallipoli, have just smashed Yudenich's army at Kars, and are about to push on Cairo. Italy just joined though, so it's possible that Austria could shatter. We'll see!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

A new year and I desperately try and shuttle in men to stem the Entente advances.

Prussia has been secured!

Lets put pressure on Warsaw!

We are ahead on tech in everything but tanks, and I push us further with infantry.

We try advancing again in Egypt.

A marauding Russian force pushes one of our units back, but at heavy loss.

We continue to work the defenders of Port Said over.

The French take out a fort on the Swiss border.

Conrad holds off a Russian attack.

We push back the Italians.

Now there are Italians in Egypt.

The push to the north of Warsaw is stopped after some brutal fighting.

We seem to be doing okay here.

We do advance to a province to the north of Warsaw.

In the West, we counter attack to stop the Entente advance – losses are heavy, but we win.

The Entente counter-counter attacks the next day and reopens the supply lines.

Haig shatters our front line and continues to advance.

Lets hope this draws off a lot of troops.

Somehow we have cut them off- lets see if we can hold the line.

Time to rest – once the snows clear, I shall launch an almighty assault!

Turkish forces begin to arrive in Armenia.

Nearly a million Russians lead by their Tsar attack Hindenburg. At least this is keeping them away from Warsaw.

We suffer another humiliation in Belgrade.

We are pushed back across the Rhine in yet another area.

The Russians attempt a river crossing to break out of the pocket near Warsaw – we murder them, a hundred thousand men lost in a single battle.

So we lost 413,000 men in the first month of this year. The Russians lost 231,000 and the Western Entente 235,000 This has been a bloody month!
I'm not sure how many more months like that we can take....

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 25, 2017

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
... Ow, so much for using the winter to replenish reserves.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

On the western front I try and reinforce the pocket while retreating across the Rhine in the south.

With Prussia looking secure, I shift Von Eniem's army south to support the attack on Warsaw.

My forces there rest and await better weather.

We send out largest sub on supply run to the USA – while it doesn't do much materially, it is a great PR stunt.

We turn back another Russian probe on the edge of the pocket.

The French breach the pocket with heavy losses.

Kitchener pushes in the south.

We also see defeat at Koblenz.

We must hold in the west!

The northern Prussian border is well protected.

The thaw will bring a wave of bloodshed in Poland – this is our best chance to break the Russians and free up these troops.

The men in Algeria begin to move into attack positions.

A Serbian division charges forwards and... surrenders?

The British take very heavy losses in Egypt.

The French lead the advance again – I'm training as many German troops as I can, but the numbers never seem to be enough!

The Russians continue to advance here.

The French force then hits Frankfurt, and we make them pay for the ground they take.

We stamp down on another Russian attempt to break the pocket.

In you stay!

Russian morale is below the magic 75!

The revolt risk is rising – France is the only ones with no real rebellion at home.

The weather in the East has cleared – for enough time for me to launch an assault at least.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yay! So it's possible if you bust hard into Russia you can get them to revolt or otherwise startoff the Russian Revolution?

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.
Is the list territory really hurting you yet? Out seems like the French are potentially overextending themselves for a potential enforcement if you can free up those troops from the Russian front.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

twig1919 posted:

Is the list territory really hurting you yet? Out seems like the French are potentially overextending themselves for a potential enforcement if you can free up those troops from the Russian front.

It really seems like French should have already overextended themselves, yet at almost every turn the French have managed to swat Gray aside. We have never need that Russian pocket to hold more than we do now. It's our only real hope.

Oddly enough our moral seems to be holding pretty steady.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 24, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Does morale primarily work off casualties? And the only reason Grey's getting away with how bad this is going is because the defence usually inflicts higher casualties?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The French seem to have a ton more artillery and cavalry. I don't know anything about this game, but I'd bet that's why they're so successful at advancing.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, the game's very weird in the fat that it's early winter and Russia seems on the edge of having the Russian Revolution fire off from dropping morale, Britain is in an even worse state, and yet France is managing multiple millios of troops hitting deep into German territory with seemingly no issues with casualties or morale.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Kitchener is ready to bury the Germans under piles of French corpses!

Also, laffo at Russians having less casualties than the Entante.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

The men in Algeria begin to move into attack positions.

I guess the Egyptian campaign is going a lot better than expected :v:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Has dread lord Kitchener lost a battle, yet? And how are the French able to field two separate armies of half a million men after the last year's battles?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

golden bubble posted:

Has dread lord Kitchener lost a battle, yet? And how are the French able to field two separate armies of half a million men after the last year's battles?

elán :france:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I'd bet both France and Britain have been taking the decisions to print money as often as possible, and spending that money to put more units in the field. No idea if Grey's been doing the same, and I don't know if I'd recommend it.

MuteAllison
Nov 16, 2013
Wait, why is France's Civilization Level 'Wild'? Did I miss something about the mechanics there, or does it take the colonies into consideration as well?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Ya see, this is an AGEOD game, which is an exercise of making a game engine do what it is not meant to do, but by the creators of said engine instead of a plucky team of modders. So as far as I understand, diplomacy options and poo poo are regular map tiles/regions, only inaccessible to boats and armies. The TYW LP had decisions that were arrayed as units down in the UI, so certain political actions are just special units.

So since the political tiles are map tiles, they also have the traits of map tiles, like civilization level and infrastructure.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

So how has the UK not crumbled under a storm of Syndicalist revolutionaries shouting "break the chains!" yet? 75% rebel alignment seems horrific but apparently Dread Lord Kitchner can just ignore it completely?

I remember someone saying that rebels don't affect the AI earlier in the thread, is that true?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I thought it was that Rebels specifically did not affect the UK AI.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
The French are fairly libertine compared to the staid Germans.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm enjoying this LP but this game seems complete and utter poo poo to be honest. As a war simulator I mean, not just because of the bad AI.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I'm enjoying this LP but this game seems complete and utter poo poo to be honest. As a war simulator I mean, not just because of the bad AI.

Are other AGEOD games any better?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

They're all complex and obtuse as gently caress, but I think this one is suffering from trying to do a scale and type of warfare they really can't. They do old-style smaller roving armies, not giant front lines grinding into each other.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I do my best to stop the onrushing French and British hordes.

I then order armageddon in Poland.

I also try and draw off any Russian reserves.

We obliterate a Russian division north of Warsaw.

A second falls a few days later.

The Bulgarians win a bloody victory against the Serbians.

A clash in Frankfurt is costly, We need more artillery! We need more of everything!

A third Russian division is destroyed in the Warsaw area.

We lose at Lodz - the Russians simply have more men they can feed into the grinder.

It’s the same story when Conrad attacks.

The next day’s fighting doesn’t make any ground, but costs the Russians a lot more men.

The Austrians pay the price for advancing through snowy mountains.

Hold out boys!

We have a toehold in Lodz, and will continue to pressure it. The Russians can’t have THAT many men, right?

The Bulgarians will start a campaign against the Greeks.

We hammer the Russians to the north.

The Russians push us back at Lodz.

A failed British attack in Egypt costs them a huge number of men and can’t look good in the papers.

Conrad inflicts heavy losses on the Russians before being forced back. Can we bleed them to death?

The bloody Romanians have entered the war. And not on our side.

Our losses pass five million men. The Russian revolt level is at 50%. Who will break first?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Besides the obvious advantage in men there's also a HUGE disparity in Romanov's airplane numbers vs your own. Maybe if you pump up your planes it'll help even things out? Also where are the Zeppelins?! Did I miss them? How can you be WW I Germany without giant terror-bombing Zeppelins over London?

VICTORY THROUGH AIRPOWER!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Just ow. This engine does not have what it takes for huge scale warfare. Also OW

JcDent
May 13, 2013

wedgekree posted:

Just ow. This engine does not have what it takes for huge scale warfare. Also OW

Would you like to expand on that? Is it that it takes that many casualties per day or...?

Also, the Allies have more cannon that the Central Powers. Pig disgusting!

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
90,000 attacking troops, 70,000 casualties :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How does the game determine who wins a battle anyways?

• Locked thread