Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The more likely scenario is that Arkane was working on an Arx Fatalis/System Shock style game and Bethesda asked them if they'd be willing to call it Prey, and they agreed, as explicitly stated by one of the lead designers in the video interview I posted further up this last page :kiddo:

There was never any sort of pressure to make a Prey sequel, it doesn't sound like Bethesda was pushing for an actual sequel with Arkane, they literally called up Arkane and said "Hey, we like that game you're making, is it okay if we call it Prey? We sort of need to use that name.". The "leaked emails" sound like Arkane's management addressing the concerns of their employees over this exact same discussion; they're saying "Hey, yeah we're calling it Prey but it's still the System Shock game we were making before"

deep dish peat moss posted:

Oops, it wasn't Twitter but here's the source for my claim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvqaRRtx25c

Ricardo Bare posted:

After we finished Dishonored we started working on a new project, a science fiction game structured like Arx Fatalis and inspired by System Shock. Bethesda approached us and said "Hey, if we wanted you to use the 'Prey' name, do you think it would fit with what you're working on?" And we were like 'Yeah, I think it works, it's a good name.'

edit: Apparently the stun gun can restore power to some computers that are missing power. I never even considered that but it's awesome.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bought Arx Fatalis after having finished Prey.

I can now without any doubt confirm that every game Arkane Studios has made is loving great.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

redreader posted:

drat it! I hunted through the entire area again last night apart from the volunteer mess hall/bathroom which I'd already looked in. I suppose I should go back and take a look since I have a TON of resources for making neuromods.

Going through the game, my impression was that Minerals were by far the most important and least common materials. Food and bio is easy to find and break down, synthetics less so but aren't used as much, and exotics explode if you have the right neuromod installed, but minerals really aren't very common at all yet are constantly used. Is it just me who was always mineral-poor?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Going through the game, my impression was that Minerals were by far the most important and least common materials. Food and bio is easy to find and break down, synthetics less so but aren't used as much, and exotics explode if you have the right neuromod installed, but minerals really aren't very common at all yet are constantly used. Is it just me who was always mineral-poor?

First half of the game you'll always be starved for Minerals.
After that you'll get starved on Synthetics pretty quickly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Also play dark messiah of might and magic, arkane's first person donkey kong classic

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I'm still starved for minerals because spare parts and suit repair kits recycle to a ton of synthetics.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Yep I ended up with a real deficit on minerals later on, crafting recycler grenades and mods got me a lot of exotic materials and everything else except that.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Psi hypos are a good source of minerals. Also recycle all foods that are not fruit.

Edit: also mimic tumors are a major source of all materials. The dissection skill is really worth the mods to get early.

Broose fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 24, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Also Q beam ammo, I ended up with tons of that towards the end.

I haven't checked but is NG+ in the current patch?

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Well, after reading the guide ( Yeah, I still like to have a book to flip through. ) I discovered that turrets only become hostile after installing 2+ Typhon mods. So I could have grabbed the fun stuff like mimic or remote manipulation during my first run. :negative:

Still, recycling all those psi hypos did help. Kindof.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I would have liked a "mobile turret" upgrade somewhere.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Rinkles posted:

What does it honestly matter?
I'm really curious about this sort of thing. Exegetic analysis of fiction is a favorite hobby of mine.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Jack Trades posted:

Funny, for me it's actually Organic. What are good sources of Organic other than food?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kurzon posted:

Funny, for me it's actually Organic. What are good sources of Organic other than food?

How the hell do you run out of Organic? I had over 200 of it at the end of the game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I like the little tricks this game plays on you. In my first playthrough I rushed through and missed most of Psychometrics in a hurry to get my scope, and I missed this room where every object has a blank sticky note on it. I just spent a couple minutes sneaking through, picking all these notes up and wondering why I wasn't getting any kind of journal entry for them. As I progressed further in to the room I realized the notes were on literally every object in the room. I realized my mistake only a few seconds before the mimics jumped me.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Kurzon posted:

People.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I always had plenty of everything except xeno materials. You get so many guns and ammo to recycle, and its so easy to pile stuff and recycle it with the recycler grenades, and so much food and booze and spare parts to recycle I dont know hows folks run low on anything else.

Maybe if they arent taking the surgery and dismantle skills?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Digirat posted:

Also play dark messiah of might and magic, arkane's first person donkey kong classic

https://youtu.be/XS49Dazin3E

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

edit: Apparently the stun gun can restore power to some computers that are missing power. I never even considered that but it's awesome.

Man! I'm pretty sure I saw some computers that didn't have power that never got turned on. I'll have to look out for that next time I play.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Apparently the stun gun can restore power to some computers that are missing power. I never even considered that but it's awesome.

Dogen posted:

Man! I'm pretty sure I saw some computers that didn't have power that never got turned on. I'll have to look out for that next time I play.

I definitely saw a dead computer in the sales offices on my playthrough last night, I'll double back and shoot it.

Weird thing is that I definitely did not power up any extra computers on my first playthrough and I still got the cheevo for reading every email. So either there isn't anything on those unpowered computers that you couldn't get somewhere else, or the achievement only tracks quest related emails.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Copper Vein posted:

Weird thing is that I definitely did not power up any extra computers on my first playthrough and I still got the cheevo for reading every email. So either there isn't anything on those unpowered computers that you couldn't get somewhere else, or the achievement only tracks quest related emails.

The description lies to you.
The achievement is actually for reading 90% of all emails.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

The lying never stops with this game!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The real prey here is the game preying on your expectations.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

The achievement is actually for reading 90% of all emails.

I am a huge fan of how Arkane implemented the "collect everything" achievements for this reason. If you are a pretty through explorer you'll get these without making a grind out of it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Anyone want to spoiler the hidden achievements? I've got 7 I haven't picked up.

Now I want DLC.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

I am a huge fan of how Arkane implemented the "collect everything" achievements for this reason. If you are a pretty through explorer you'll get these without making a grind out of it.

Definitely.
I got the cheevo on my first run.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Definitely.
I got the cheevo on my first run.

Same! Apparently I got all the collection cheevos on my first run without even trying. Pretty nice, so now my next run can be my ultra-rear end in a top hat typhon fantasy.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Now I want DLC.

Me too, but I have no idea what they could do. The story was entirely self-contained, I've explored every single inch of Talos 1, and any new environment they could create would have to be way smaller (and thus way less interesting imho) than the main game's.

I guess a tower defense style game with turrets and mimics could be fun.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

You can see expose hidden steam achievements by finding the global achievement stats for games.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

the black husserl posted:

Me too, but I have no idea what they could do. The story was entirely self-contained, I've explored every single inch of Talos 1, and any new environment they could create would have to be way smaller (and thus way less interesting imho) than the main game's.

I guess a tower defense style game with turrets and mimics could be fun.

Pre outbreak mimic simulator.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Yep I ended up with a real deficit on minerals later on, crafting recycler grenades and mods got me a lot of exotic materials and everything else except that.

I found a good source of minerals is (late game enemy) Military Operators. You can kill them with the stun gun really easly, strip em of parts and then pile the corpses up and recycle nade them. Gives you a nice chunk of minerals each time and there is plenty of them.

You could probably use friendly operator spawning stations to get a nice chunk of minerals if you don't mind not having the heal or suit repair or psy injection.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
on my first run I dismantled guns for spare parts and was low on minerals but had enough spare parts to build an even larger space station

on this run I put every extra gun I find in the recycler and I'm swimming in mineral / synthetic while still having enough spare parts for important bits and convenience, no fortified turret killzones though

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Anti-Hero posted:

You can see expose hidden steam achievements by finding the global achievement stats for games.

Ohhhhh that's cool. Thank you.

Robiben posted:

I found a good source of minerals is (late game enemy) Military Operators. You can kill them with the stun gun really easly, strip em of parts and then pile the corpses up and recycle nade them. Gives you a nice chunk of minerals each time and there is plenty of them.

You could probably use friendly operator spawning stations to get a nice chunk of minerals if you don't mind not having the heal or suit repair or psy injection.

Yea! I found a chip that lets you find energy cells on dead operators - I think they break down into minerals too (afaik).

The stun gun owns particularly upgraded. I put a couple of points into the electro shock power near the end of the game for full on dual wield robot killing.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 25, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Anti-Hero posted:

Most of them for this game don't have the requirements listed, though.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Zereth posted:

Most of them for this game don't have the requirements listed, though.

Good point. I had to google those.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Talking about performance, is this game supposed to be choppy as hell on PS4? Digital Foundry says that it maintains a consistent 30FPS but I'm not seeing it. The intro area with the skyline, everything afterwards, the lobby, etc. - the game never hits 30 at any point, and spinning the camera around only makes it worse.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

GUI posted:

Talking about performance, is this game supposed to be choppy as hell on PS4? Digital Foundry says that it maintains a consistent 30FPS but I'm not seeing it. The intro area with the skyline, everything afterwards, the lobby, etc. - the game never hits 30 at any point, and spinning the camera around only makes it worse.

I found the same thing when I played the demo on Xbone. I don't generally get motion sickness playing games, but that combined with the tiny FOV made me feel really queasy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

GUI posted:

The patch hosed something up with that(though it's still better than the input lag). That said I still had 30 FPS the majority of the time so I dunno.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

GUI posted:

They hosed it up with the first major PS4 patch that hit ~2 weeks after launch. It was smooth before that; luckily I finished the game on the day that big patch hit so I never noticed it. Lots of people complaining on reddit about it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They hosed it up with the first major PS4 patch that hit ~2 weeks after launch. It was smooth before that; luckily I finished the game on the day that big patch hit so I never noticed it. Lots of people complaining on reddit about it though.

I'm not gonna look into this at all but I bet they turned something graphical up for the PS4 Pro and then didn't make sure it was off for the older PS4. Sounds about right.