Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Paul Ryan is literally the bad guy from Total Recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

fsif posted:

I don't know enough about his district, but this HAS to spell the end for Paul Ryan in 2018, right? Or is his a constituency particularly susceptible to messages like “I will literally murder you”?

You don't get to be the Speaker if you aren't in the deep red.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mcmagic posted:

They are STEALING 100B of your health care and giving it to the rich in the form of tax cuts. If you can't message that you don't belong in politics.

1,000B

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Avirosb posted:

Republicans hate the elderly but they also want their money.
It's a complicated relationship.

The Elderly:
Suckle on the teat of social security
Often consume lots of healthcare dollars
Cannot make little republicans anymore
Therefore, they serve no purpose, time to grind them up for yacht fuel

Chilichimp posted:

It raises premiums! What is he smoking?

Dead people cannot pay premiums, therefore savings.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fsif posted:

I don't know enough about his district, but this HAS to spell the end for Paul Ryan in 2018, right? Or is his a constituency particularly susceptible to messages like “I will literally murder you”?

They are susceptible to "Liberals don't like this bill so it must be great."

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBGVisualData/status/867487534036791297

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I've found this AHCA bill to be a bizarre piece of politics. A bad bill that cuts access to healthcare to give tax breaks to the rich was expected from the GOP, but I'd have expected them to gently caress over the young, non-GOP voters at the expense of the older, politically-active, GOP-leaning voting block.

The first order of business since retaking control of government is to yank healthcare away from the people who vote often, and vote for them in overwhelming numbers. Between the AHCA and Trump's budget, the GOP seem to be incredibly eager to put the Democrats back in power.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

They are STEALING 100B of your health care and giving it to the rich in the form of tax cuts. If you can't message that you don't belong in politics.

800b. 100b is the amount of that they apply against the deficit, with 700b going to the rich.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

In other news, Sasse is very concerned.

https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/867489599144292353

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TyrantWD posted:

I've found this AHCA bill to be a bizarre piece of politics. A bad bill that cuts access to healthcare to give tax breaks to the rich was expected from the GOP, but I'd have expected them to gently caress over the young, non-GOP voters at the expense of the older, politically-active, GOP-leaning voting block.

The first order of business since retaking control of government is to yank healthcare away from the people who vote often, and vote for them in overwhelming numbers. Between the AHCA and Trump's budget, the GOP seem to be incredibly eager to put the Democrats back in power.

I think they figure that that have subverted Democracy so well that they can't be toppled by petty things like facts.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

evilweasel posted:

No, their premiums become very, very low. Until they get sick. Then the next year they spike through the roof.

Meanwhile, grandma gets to decide between eating or paying for insurance.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

Jesus christ how the gently caress do you even keep a straight face and say something good about that?

Step 1: Stop thinking that "The Poors" are people.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TyrantWD posted:

Paul Ryan is really, really, really, really, really bad at actual policy but thinks he's good at it from years of washinton reporters not realizing his idiot policies don't add up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Baghdad Ryan

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

TyrantWD posted:

Well, that's just the nature of health care. If you restrict access to it, you'll kill old and sick people. Young people just don't need as much of it, and their actuarial status means they can get it cheaper (if you remove community ranking).

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I think it is truly time to invest in guillotine futures.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

No, their premiums become very, very low. Until they get sick. Then the next year they spike through the roof.

LOL, an a la carte insurance plan for rich folks? Hilarious.

Turns out, they understand find how insurance works, they just don't believe rich people should have to pay for it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Khisanth Magus posted:

At least being headless isn't a preexisting condition...yet.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

Paul Ryan is really, really, really, really, really bad at actual policy but thinks he's good at it from years of washinton reporters not realizing his idiot policies don't add up.

They are also putting their monolithic base to the test. Will their most loyal, active voters still say "fake news! MAGA" and vote GOP while the GOP is actively killing them to pay for tax cuts? I guess we'll see.

We don't actually need old morons to win back the house, but if they cracked and actually woke up to the fact that the GOP is pretty evil, then the GOP would be well and truly hosed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Well, that's just the nature of health care. If you restrict access to it, you'll kill old and sick people. Young people just don't need as much of it, and their actuarial status means they can get it cheaper (if you remove community ranking).

Which is, of course, all why the only sane way to proceed is with a single-payer system. The contradictions inherent in a private healthcare system make it by definition unable to fulfill the functions of healthcare.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
For most whites as long as the employer paid market (mostly B2B) isn't blown up they couldn't care less. In that aspect the ACA was extremely conservative in its approach to not taking a more decisive blow to employer insurance.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

fsif posted:

Last election he won his district by about 35 points. So uh, have to be one hell of a wave to unseat him.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/867485349173395456

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Khisanth Magus posted:

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Make sure to diversify into tumbrels.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

dicks out

https://twitter.com/TheoTypes/status/867489697265836034

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

In non-healthcare news, Donny's going to get a warm reception tomorrow:

"The Guardian posted:

Theresa May will confront Donald Trump over the stream of leaks of crucial intelligence about the Manchester bomb attack when she meets the US president at a Nato summit in Brussels on Thursday.

British officials were infuriated on Wednesday when the New York Times published forensic photographs of sophisticated bomb parts that UK authorities fear could complicate the expanding investigation into the lethal blast in which five further arrests have been made in the UK and two more in Libya.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
White non-college educated voters aged 50-64 can shout fake news all they want. The insurance company is just going to say pay us $12,000 or GTFO.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Make sure to diversify into tumbrels.

True, need to diversify my investments that are a precursor to the coming purge.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

No! Please no, its too much, save it for tomorrow! The news withdrawal will be so much worse on slow days, ahhhh!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Rigel posted:

They are also putting their monolithic base to the test. Will their most loyal, active voters still say "fake news! MAGA" and vote GOP while the GOP is actively killing them to pay for tax cuts? I guess we'll see.

We don't actually need old morons to win back the house, but if they cracked and actually woke up to the fact that the GOP is pretty evil, then the GOP would be well and truly hosed.

Prepare for a lot of people voting against their own interests while justifying it with "the other system was bad too" plus a side of "they'll figure out how to fix it later." This will be followed by a lot of shocked people crying about how they got sick and it didn't work out for them, but then still voting a straight Republican ticket the next time they get a chance.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Which is, of course, all why the only sane way to proceed is with a single-payer system. The contradictions inherent in a private healthcare system make it by definition unable to fulfill the functions of healthcare.

At least with all the back and forth going on, "Just move to single payer" has moved from ":rolleyes:" to at minimum "Anything's better than someone trying a new tack at threatening my health care every three months."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

America is such an exceptional place, we not only can't have socialized medicine we can't have it at all.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I was starting to think this week was gonna let me down.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Radish posted:

Paul Ryan is literally the bad guy from Total Recall.

Come on, Ryan! Give these people (health c)AIR!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

TGLT posted:

Last election he won his district by about 35 points. So uh, have to be one hell of a wave to unseat him.

Maybe a primary challenger?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

And THIS is what I don't understand. Like, at all.

The AHCA would cost less than the ACA does, but still a lot more than doing nothing at all like we were before. And yet this is basically returning us to pre-ACA uninsured levels, only now it costs a shitload to do the same as doing literally nothing?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

fsif posted:

Unfortunately, nearly twice as many people as the New York Times.

I assume 80% of that is hotels

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/867485767387492353

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Prepare for a lot of people voting against their own interests while justifying it with "the other system was bad too" plus a side of "they'll figure out how to fix it later." This will be followed by a lot of shocked people crying about how they got sick and it didn't work out for them, but then still voting a straight Republican ticket the next time they get a chance.

with any luck they'll never vote again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

And THIS is what I don't understand. Like, at all.

The AHCA would cost less than the ACA does, but still a lot more than doing nothing at all like we were before. And yet this is basically returning us to pre-ACA uninsured levels, only now it costs a shitload to do the same as doing literally nothing?

It savagely cuts spending on health care to pay for massive tax cuts for the rich

• Locked thread