Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I suck at retouching, but I'm working at it.

Untitled by Jason Martin, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Did you heavily retouch the cheeks of the first one? It looks like there's a weirdly out of place blurry zone, that I probably wouldn't have noticed except I was looking intently. The second two are a bit heavy handed. What technique are you using to smooth skin? Try varying the opacity of the layer your retouches are on to let some of the natural texture show through, it makes it look more natural.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

8th-snype posted:

Did you heavily retouch the cheeks of the first one? It looks like there's a weirdly out of place blurry zone, that I probably wouldn't have noticed except I was looking intently. The second two are a bit heavy handed. What technique are you using to smooth skin? Try varying the opacity of the layer your retouches are on to let some of the natural texture show through, it makes it look more natural.

Thank you for the feedback!

On the first one I tried to bring out her freckles a bit on the cheeks (overblushing them in the process), but I didn't do any smoothing that should have caused a blurry area. Where do you see that? There's a bit on her forehead, but that's because I had my depth of field a bit too narrow to catch it all.

On the last two, I did some frequency separation (still getting used to that). She actually really had, through genetics and makeup, very smooth skin. Most of what I was trying to smooth there was at the high frequency level though, which I think I might have overworked, pausing any placisity you see. I'm trying to find the right balance to let some texture, but not too much show through. Good idea about the opacity mixing.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

thetzar posted:

On the first one I tried to bring out her freckles a bit on the cheeks (overblushing them in the process), but I didn't do any smoothing that should have caused a blurry area. Where do you see that? There's a bit on her forehead, but that's because I had my depth of field a bit too narrow to catch it all.

Right here:

The area between her nostrils and cheek bones look out of focus but her eyes and lips are sharp. It's a little nitpicky but I was looking very closely and now I can't unsee it. I don't know if it's from skin retouching or if her facial geometry is unusual enough to have DOF do that.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

8th-snype posted:

Right here:

The area between her nostrils and cheek bones look out of focus but her eyes and lips are sharp. It's a little nitpicky but I was looking very closely and now I can't unsee it. I don't know if it's from skin retouching or if her facial geometry is unusual enough to have DOF do that.

Right! I just went and looked at the raw file from before the edits to double-check this. I didn't soften or blur that area at all. It's not DOF, it's just a very low-contrast and smooth-skinned part of her face... which probably stands out more because I DID selectively sharpen her eyes, cheekbones and nose. Here's a sample from the file after B+W conversion, but before anything went into photoshop:

Unrealtedly, here's another shot from the same model. Took a lighter touch with this one.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Ah yeah, the low contrast next to the boost contrast of the cheek bones is pretty clear after seeing the crop you posted. It's not blurred but it still looks weird to me in your finished version, maybe I'm being overly nit picky. The processing on the new one looks better to me.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
FWIW I like the new one too.

E: imo its the best

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
DSCF5539 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Untitled by Tom Olson, on Flickr

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

is dat an orgy? nice!

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I'm really enjoying these. Moody and disturbing and intriguing. I don't know eactly how you're doing them, but don't stop whatever it is.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

thetzar posted:

I'm really enjoying these. Moody and disturbing and intriguing. I don't know eactly how you're doing them, but don't stop whatever it is.

Thanks!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

This sure catches the eye.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

Yeah, this is amazing

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

akadajet posted:

This sure catches the eye.

p0stal b0b posted:

Yeah, this is amazing

Thanks

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

More orgy portraits please.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to guess how these were done. My theory at the moment is that there are multiple low-intensity strobe flashes during a long exposure. Is that right?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Helen Highwater posted:

I'm trying to guess how these were done. My theory at the moment is that there are multiple low-intensity strobe flashes during a long exposure. Is that right?

Nope.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
All of rangerscum's friends are just blurry. Don't kink shame.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I'm guessing multiple exposures but almost don't want to know.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

thetzar posted:

I'm guessing multiple exposures but almost don't want to know.

Yeah I'm not going to tell, but people can guess all they want. :)

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I think I might know how he did it:

long exposures of a TV screen is my guess

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
He's developed a camera that can take photos of multiple timelines at once.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Karina by Jason, on Flickr

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

I love the balance of tones in this.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Chey
by Steve V, on Flickr

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I like the way this highlights the struggle of having long hair on a windy day, but shows how hair covering your eyes and getting in your mouth is mainly irrelevant as long as you can boob your way to a lift from a passerby. It's also great that you show how an anklette and raising your feet like you're wearing your clubbing heels is more important than wearing shoes as you hitchhike away from your problems and stalkers with a telephoto lens. This really captures the necessity of giving up any ideas of personhood when faced with a penis with a budget and portfolio site as represented by the need to flee but still look beauty full for the viewer, and also the complete unpreparedness of the attempt to run and inevitable futility of any attempt when you'll just as surely be held aloft as some totemic ideal of desire despite every fibre of your presentation indicating you only exist to fulfill the fantasy laid out by crass consumption of a woman as a thing to please, if you even have that amount of agency.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Yes, all of that and that pavement must be so hot.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Sauer posted:

Yes, all of that and that pavement must be so hot.

all worth it for boner pics bruh

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Mrenda posted:

I like the way this highlights the struggle of having long hair on a windy day, but shows how hair covering your eyes and getting in your mouth is mainly irrelevant as long as you can boob your way to a lift from a passerby. It's also great that you show how an anklette and raising your feet like you're wearing your clubbing heels is more important than wearing shoes as you hitchhike away from your problems and stalkers with a telephoto lens. This really captures the necessity of giving up any ideas of personhood when faced with a penis with a budget and portfolio site as represented by the need to flee but still look beauty full for the viewer, and also the complete unpreparedness of the attempt to run and inevitable futility of any attempt when you'll just as surely be held aloft as some totemic ideal of desire despite every fibre of your presentation indicating you only exist to fulfill the fantasy laid out by crass consumption of a woman as a thing to please, if you even have that amount of agency.

If you say so.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mrenda posted:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

If you say so.

what are you actually going for with that photo?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

this pic really inspired me, i hope u dont mind...

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 30, 2017

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Okay, at least that's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
this was a bad post i changed my mind about

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 1, 2017