Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

quote:

WASHINGTON — American spies collected information last summer revealing that senior Russian intelligence and political officials were discussing how to exert influence over Donald J. Trump through his advisers, according to three current and former American officials familiar with the intelligence.

The conversations focused on Paul Manafort, the Trump campaign chairman at the time, and Michael T. Flynn, a retired general who was advising Mr. Trump, the officials said. Both men had indirect ties to Russian officials, who appeared confident that each could be used to help shape Mr. Trump’s opinions on Russia.

Some Russians boasted about how well they knew Mr. Flynn. Others discussed leveraging their ties to Viktor F. Yanukovych, the deposed president of Ukraine living in exile in Russia, who at one time had worked closely with Mr. Manafort.

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

TyrantWD posted:

The first order of business since retaking control of government is to yank healthcare away from the people who vote often, and vote for them in overwhelming numbers. Between the AHCA and Trump's budget, the GOP seem to be incredibly eager to put the Democrats back in power.

These people voted them in with the GOP promising to do exactly this; do you really think this will change their minds?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

goddamn we need a second republic so loving BAD.

I really look forward to what the new Constitution the Republicans would write if they got the chance.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Rigel posted:

writer is a token female republican
Oh, my guess was that it was the opening to some guy's fanfic about that scene in Ghostbusters where Ray gets a beej from a ghost lady.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

While it can be a problem in parts of Montana, I think that you are probably dealing with stereotypes there.

Just as a wild guess, are you from an East Coast state and you think that Montana is somehow just another version of Binghampton, Toledo, Grand Rapids or one of those East Coast cities?

as someone from the east coast, i don't believe the first city exists, the second is a made up city that sounds funny, and the third is what i imagine all cities in montana are named

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

loving disgusting. I should have slugged him in the face when I was working in Congress. :mad:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

stillvisions posted:

These people voted them in with the GOP promising to do exactly this; do you really think this will change their minds?

The Republicans lied in 2016 and said they wanted to get more people health insurance and reduce premiums all while keeping services.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

stillvisions posted:

Republicans promised that they're magic plan would lower premiums and cover more, with less restrictions on use. Instead they delivered a plan where premiums cost more and cover less

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

evilweasel posted:

as someone from the east coast, i don't believe the first city exists, the second is a made up city that sounds funny, and the third is what i imagine all cities in montana are named

Sorry, Binghamton, New York, Toledo, Ohio, and Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I am not an expert on the East Coast, the only one of those cities I've been to is Toledo.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah Republicans had their backs up against the wall because the ACA was already the most conservative possible health plan that still functions at all. The GOP demanded nearly 200 amendments, essentially authoring the bill themselves, then refused to vote for it and immediately started attacking it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

stillvisions posted:

Actually, yes. The distorted promises of the GOP is fairly different from the reality of it staring them in the face.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

I am not an expert on the East Coast, the only one of those cities I've been to is Toledo.

You think Ohio and Michigan are on the east coast? Wow, Montana has some bad schools.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

FourLeaf posted:

If I'm not mistaken they only have about 2 vulnerable Senate seats out of the 8 GOP seats up in 2018, so I agree that what they'll do is let the final vote be 50-50 + Pence as tiebreaker to get it passed and those two Senators can go home and say "I had concerns about the bill" and safely hang on to their seats.

This guy gets it. There is no hope. What will happen is political theater. Just like with DeVos. I said it back when this past the house but it will pass the Senate unchanged. I will be right about this again. It will play out exactly as I said and everyone else will be shot it happened.

Lote posted:

This bill doesn't start saving money for the average premium until 2021 or after. In the meanwhile, premiums will increase +25% on top of any predicted Obamacare premium increases. The forecast is basically +50-70% premiums in 2020 from 2017 premiums. This will crush the Republican Party. White non-educated working class aged 50-64 went for Trump like 65/35.

I'm sorry mate but you just don't get it. Do you know what's on the news right now? It isn't anything to do with the CBO. Right now they're talking about the Manchester incident. That's what's going to happen. Fox News and the right-wing media will never report on the problems. Trump voters only listen to the right-wing media. If people raise concerns they'll blame Democrats. The Republicans will be unaffected. It doesn't matter what Trump does or what the Republicans do because their voters are sheep and the Republicans know that period we're not dealing with intelligent life we're dealing with highly trained animals that are acting exactly as their masters want.

That's all you're going to find in the head of a trump voter or republican in general. They are just animal they are not human. Do not expect anything related to empathy from them. Empathy comes from humans. Cruelty comes from Republicans.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Disturbing if true.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

You're making the exact same "just world" style argument conservatives make. Maybe people are ignorant and desperate for reasons outside their control?

No I'm not. I'm saying they are grown adults who are making decisions. They need to be treated like adults and not like children. The constant desperation to treat rural Americans (and ONLY rural Americans) as these poor snowflakes who are just so left behind and deserve the lightest of feather touches makes no sense. Their suffering deserves to be understood but it doesn't excuse them taking that suffering and using it as a barrier against criticism.

Trabisnikof posted:

Regardless, I don't really give a flying gently caress about excuses or whatever, the entire point is that they're not ideologically "nazi lovers" if they're voting out of ignorance or desperation.

People who supported the Nazis didn't do it because they were cackling cartoon super-villains. (For the most part.) Desperation and ignorance and fear played into that as well. It doesn't change what they supported. They are absolutely ideologically Nazi lovers for the same reason. They want what it's offering, or enough of it that they're willing to look over people being hosed if they get it. (And of course the great irony and tragedy is they won't even get it.)

Trabisnikof posted:

Those ignorant voters can be wedged from the ideological Nazis by trying to educate them. Those desperate voters can be wedged from the ideological Nazis by trying to offer them better options. Things that drive down turnout from potential Republican voters help Democratic election chances and it is worth wedging as many of the non-Nazis as we can every time the Republicans do Nazi poo poo.

How do you offer them education and better opinions if they have no access to it?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah Republicans had their backs up against the wall because the ACA was already the most conservative possible health plan that still functions at all. The GOP demanded nearly 200 amendments, essentially authoring the bill themselves, then refused to vote for it and immediately started attacking it.

Exactly why were they allowed to add all that poo poo when dems didn't need their votes? Stupidity?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Republican voter won't change, but their children who watched their grandparents die from this will.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Khisanth Magus posted:

True, need to diversify my investments that are a precursor to the coming purge.

I suggest torches and pitchforks. Guillotine futures are also unique in that it's good when they go up and even better when they come down. :black101:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Captain Monkey posted:

You think Ohio and Michigan are on the east coast? Wow, Montana has some bad schools.

I know they don't directly touch the Atlantic, but they are very close to the East Coast, and there are no mountains or natural barriers.

Its a short drive with no intervening mountains between Grand Rapids and New York City, so its pretty much the East Coast.

If you look at Ohio and New York State, there is no real demographic difference between them. They are both states with no wilderness areas, no mountains, similar population densities, most of their population lives in a few megapolises. Also, states where people are parochial and backwards. If I am talking to someone from either state, I have to remember not to bite my tongue when they talk about mountains, and not to smirk condescendingly when they talk in conspirational whispers about buying marijuana.

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 24, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What? Against who?

Is the US invading the Philippines?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

That's all you're going to find in the head of a trump voter or republican in general. They are just animal they are not human. Do not expect anything related to empathy from them. Empathy comes from humans. Cruelty comes from Republicans.

I genuinely can't tell if you're trolling or insane.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Covok posted:

This guy gets it. There is no hope. What will happen is political theater. Just like with DeVos. I said it back when this past the house but it will pass the Senate unchanged. I will be right about this again. It will play out exactly as I said and everyone else will be shot it happened.

I'm sorry mate but you just don't get it. Do you know what's on the news right now? It isn't anything to do with the CBO. Right now they're talking about the Manchester incident. That's what's going to happen. Fox News and the right-wing media will never report on the problems. Trump voters only listen to the right-wing media. If people raise concerns they'll blame Democrats. The Republicans will be unaffected. It doesn't matter what Trump does or what the Republicans do because their voters are sheep and the Republicans know that period we're not dealing with intelligent life we're dealing with highly trained animals that are acting exactly as their masters want.

then why did the first ahca bill fail if the republicans are masters of the political universe

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

RandomBlue posted:

Exactly why were they allowed to add all that poo poo when dems didn't need their votes? Stupidity?

It was during the misguided attempt to be appear bi-partisan to heal the "wounds" from the 2008 election.

FizFashizzle posted:

What? Against who?

Iraq, third times the charm.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

I know they don't directly touch the Atlantic, but they are very close to the East Coast, and there are no mountains or natural barriers.

Its a short drive with no intervening mountains between Grand Rapids and New York City, so its pretty much the East Coast.

Ok.

This is a weird hill to die on though.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

ImpAtom posted:

No I'm not. I'm saying they are grown adults who are making decisions. They need to be treated like adults and not like children. The constant desperation to treat rural Americans (and ONLY rural Americans) as these poor snowflakes who are just so left behind and deserve the lightest of feather touches makes no sense. Their suffering deserves to be understood but it doesn't excuse them taking that suffering and using it as a barrier against criticism.

Gotta go back an emphasize the special snowflake class are white rural americans. PoC trapped in rural poo poo stains get lumped together with their inner city cousins.

This is america! Everything comes back to race, spite, or race-based-spite.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Captain Monkey posted:

Also apparently 45k population Binghamton is a city.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

yeah i was just joking that we are way too self-absorbed to know what any city smaller than, like, Washington DC is unless it has a sports team in it

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Covok posted:

They are just animal they are not human.

:crossarms:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FizFashizzle posted:

What? Against who?

They decided it's cheaper and easier if they just kill all our poors right now. This time the war on drugs is literal.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

They are, in a collective, one animal, you see. A giant pink elephant.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Uh who is getting a dose of freedom this time?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

What? Against who?

Presumably ISIS, and formally retiring the old AUMFs that are still kicking around from the Bush Administration.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Must be her well-reasoned response to CNN's The ugly truth behind Saudi Arabia's love for Melania Trump.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Covok posted:

This guy gets it. There is no hope.

Jesus christ, shut the gently caress up, you lovely loving gimmick. I legitimately don't understand why you haven't just killed yourself already.

You know what would be more useful than spending every day masturbating 'til your dick bleeds? loving working. On anything. Anything the gently caress at all. Do you write your congressman? Do you phonebank for progressive candidates? Volunteer at a soup kitchen? Pass out flyers? loving anything that would make anyone on the surface of this loving earth glad you exist?

We've got life and death issues here and the only thing you're capable of talking about, incessantly, is how good you are at gargling your own cock. If all you've got to say in the midst of one of the most significant political periods in American history is "Appreciate the congrats" then just loving be honest with your worthless self for once and go join the GOP.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So wait is the CBO report fully out now? I cannot seem to find it...

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zil posted:

It was during the misguided attempt to be appear bi-partisan to heal the "wounds" from the 2008 election.

I was going to spell that out as an option but I figured it was covered by the stupidity option.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

In the southeast, we just have one large, sprawling city that starts in atlanta and ends in the research triangle.

there's lines on a map but it's mostly performative.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Um, what?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

RandomBlue posted:

Trying to make the bill bipartisan to avoid, well, the last 7 years of heath care wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Captain Monkey posted:

Ok.

This is a weird hill to die on though.
As someone who didn't go east of the mississippi until 18 I can confirm that for most of us out west here, "east coast" starts somewhere around Indianapolis.

It's not that we're dumb (well, it's not the reason we're dumb), we just don't care about useless trivia. It's east. Oh it's not directly on the water? okay

• Locked thread