Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

uwaeve posted:

I have a ten-year-old MS Excel file that gives me an error when I try to open it. I feel like the author hid and locked a bunch of poo poo, but the last time I opened it a few years ago it at least did its job. I could select dropdown and get results, etc. Now when I go to open it I get:

"Compile error in hidden module: 'XX'. This error commonly occurs when code is incompatible with the version, platform, or architecture of this application."

I am computer idiot, so I don't really know if it's feasible to find or install an older version of excel but I don't know if that's even the right way to go about it.

I've had bad luck installing old software on current computers - it might be easier to find an old computer with a contemporary version of Excel than it is to install an old version of MS Office on a newer computer. Is there an old travel laptop sitting around the office that hasn't been fired up since the first Obama administration, but nobody has bothered to throw away yet?

Alternately, you could try to get a virtual machine image with an old version of Windows (or OS X), and install the old version of Office in that.

In either case, once you have it open, you should export the data in the spreadsheet to CSV or something, so you can read it into a new version. That should give you another few years before this comes up again. If you need to maintain VB macros or other functions or coding, you might need to install later versions of Excel on the old OS, until you get one that can open what you have, and save it in a format that your current version can read. (Once you open it in your new version, make sure to save it in a current format, though you'll want to test it to make sure it still works as expected.)

Oh, two three other possibilities - each is just a shot in the dark:
1) Use some other program to try to open your spreadsheet, like Libre Office. If this works, you might then be able to save the contents in a more current format from within that program. Even a different proprietary office suite might have luck opening it, if any still exist. Was there ever a spreadsheet program to go with WordPerfect?
2) Look for some free conversion tool to open and/or update the old file.
3) If you're on Windows, try a Mac version. If you're on a Mac, try Windows. For that matter, just try another computer that may have some library installed that you need - you never know.

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Does anyone here have experience disputing a big charge on a credit card and/or is there a better thread where I can post questions? I'm likely going to need to do so in the near future, so I'm wondering what I'm getting into and if anyone has any tips. :(

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 23, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

Does anyone here have experience disputing a big charge on a credit card and/or is there a better thread where I can post questions? I'm likely going to need to do so in the near future, so I'm wondering what I'm getting into and if anyone has any tips. :(

I once had ten days worth of hotel rooms for an entire dance company dumped in my card.

I just called my card company and was calm angry for about an hour and it was fixed the next morning. Obviously I had not signed for these transactions so maybe that made it easier. At every step of "I'm gonna need to talk to your supervisor" they asked me if I had authorized the charges.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

Are you disputing it because you didn't make it (typically pretty easy) or because you did but got a bad product or something?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sort of the latter, I guess.

The short version is that six months ago I ordered a custom suit for a special event, they hosed it up time and time again, now the special event is here and the suit won't be ready in time. The company refuses to issue a refund because it's their policy, but they've hosed things up pretty tremendously and have caused me to spend more money (buying a replacement suit).

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

kedo posted:

quote:

Sort of the latter, I guess.

The short version is that six months ago I ordered a custom suit for a special event, they hosed it up time and time again, now the special event is here and the suit won't be ready in time. The company refuses to issue a refund because it's their policy, but they've hosed things up pretty tremendously and have caused me to spend more money (buying a replacement suit).

You might be out of luck. I tried to get out of a three year gym contract when I moved after the second year, but because I had made the agreement with the vendor (I'm dumb) I was stuck with it.

On the other hand, the day I got three separate charges for businesses in different countries, I just called and they reversed all the charges immediately.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
is there like a very simple, lightweight program and/or website that I can use just to play around with chord progressions and music? a sequencer is fine, but something simple? the only sequencer I've ever messed around with is Famitracker and that was pretty easy, but how simple can it get?

basically I'm just looking for a program or website that I can pop open, plug in a quick chord progression, and see how it sounds. I've had limited experience with DAWs and I'm looking for something more geared towards just futzin' around and less about actually creating music

or, in other words, something that would be a convenient experimenting tool given my lack of an actual keyboard

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Is there an Arduino thread somewhere? I don't see one in SH/SC or DIY.

If not, here's my question -- I'm looking to get started hacking around with Arduinos. I have all the "prerequisites" -- I can write C code, I've made raspberry pi projects, etc, but I'm unsure what exactly I need, especially in terms of hardware. Any suggestions?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

Is there an Arduino thread somewhere? I don't see one in SH/SC or DIY.

If not, here's my question -- I'm looking to get started hacking around with Arduinos. I have all the "prerequisites" -- I can write C code, I've made raspberry pi projects, etc, but I'm unsure what exactly I need, especially in terms of hardware. Any suggestions?

I think this is where the Arduino chat is happening.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I think this is where the Arduino chat is happening.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977

Thanks!

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
DIY > Arduino Thread: eh, just grab some pliers and bend the pins
It's been a few days since the last post, but questions in it typically receive fast responses.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I followed a popular writer on FB and decided to unfollow him because there were too many posts clogging up my feed. Now every time someone comments on the post I unfollowed him in, I get a notification (and this is one of those posts that gets 4 or 5 comments a minute) I even get a second green pop up in the lower left corner I've never seen before. It's like I hit something that put out an APB on this post for me, and I have no goddamn idea what it is. What did I do and how do I get it to stop?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for this, I'm gonna poke around with some of your suggestions. From what I can tell I may be hosed because I believe there is code in hidden and password-locked sheets, and the author is, uh, no longer with us.

I'll probably wind up spending a bunch of time getting it written up from scratch.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

veni veni veni posted:

I followed a popular writer on FB and decided to unfollow him because there were too many posts clogging up my feed. Now every time someone comments on the post I unfollowed him in, I get a notification (and this is one of those posts that gets 4 or 5 comments a minute) I even get a second green pop up in the lower left corner I've never seen before. It's like I hit something that put out an APB on this post for me, and I have no goddamn idea what it is. What did I do and how do I get it to stop?

If it's just the one post, go to it and click the V in the upper right corner, there should be a "turn off notifications for this post" option. No idea what you did to cause it though.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

uwaeve posted:

Thanks for this, I'm gonna poke around with some of your suggestions. From what I can tell I may be hosed because I believe there is code in hidden and password-locked sheets, and the author is, uh, no longer with us.

I'll probably wind up spending a bunch of time getting it written up from scratch.

Well, if the workbook has some sort of password protection, that's going to be a different issue (and one I don't know a thing about). But getting a version of Excel and/or the OS that will open the file is probably the first step anyway. Good luck!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Water leak issues

e: actually nevermind, I'll just go in person to talk to the landlord with a written request. That whole post was a badly written block of text plus some of it is my fault for not doing anything other than calling them several times. If that doesn't work then I'll look into other options afterward.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 24, 2017

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

If I had a pole that was 1 light year long and I pushed it, how long until the other end moved?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Long Wang posted:

If I had a pole that was 1 light year long and I pushed it, how long until the other end moved?

It would take a minimum of 1 year for your poke from this end to reach all the way to the other end, and it would then take you an additional year to be able to see that it had in fact moved.

Depending on the material the pole was made of, it could take longer than a year to transmit the force of the poke to the other end. Or your poke might never make it all the way through because the mass of material in the way would absorb the force before it has time to make it all the way.

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

fishmech posted:

It would take a minimum of 1 year for your poke from this end to reach all the way to the other end, and it would then take you an additional year to be able to see that it had in fact moved.

Depending on the material the pole was made of, it could take longer than a year to transmit the force of the poke to the other end. Or your poke might never make it all the way through because the mass of material in the way would absorb the force before it has time to make it all the way.

Well, that's assume that the type of material isn't an issue, ie. it won't absorb, won't change shape even though I guess that might not be possible for such a long piece of material. It kind of confuses me because it means the length of the item is no longer one light year.

Long Wang fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 24, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Long Wang posted:

Well, that's assume that the type of material isn't an issue, ie. it won't absorb, won't change shape even though I guess that might not be possible for such a long piece of material. It kind of confuses me because it means the length of the item is no longer one light year.

Yeah if it's a material that somehow stays in one piece when it's 1 lightyear long, and doesn't attenuate the force at all, it'll take exactly one light year for your nudge on this end to reach the other end.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Long Wang posted:

There are no 'objects'. Movement of an 'object' is just the movement of its constituent atoms. Moving the light-year-rod requires movement of all the constituent atoms. This is accomplished by atoms physically pushing others when pushed. In small objects (small as in not relevantly light-time sized) this also applies, but is not a realistic concern. For large objects such as the theoretical light-year rod, it does matter.

The "won't change shape" clause doesn't make sense. If you push this end of the rod, you push the physical atoms into other atoms and so forth. This deforms the rod.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Long Wang posted:

In a real material, I think you're pretty much looking for the speed of sound in it. Pushing at one end is essentially creating a compression wave that travels down.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Is this building up to some username/post combo joke?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Long Wang posted:

Related question that I've always kind of wondered about : If you had a loop of wire one light-year long, and hooked it up to a bigass battery, what would be the sequence of events as current started to flow? One possibility is you'd get a big pulse of electrons shooting down the wire out of the negative terminal of the battery. But would the resulting positive charge in the battery start sucking electrons in from the wire on the positive terminal, creating a current there too? What happens at the far side of the loop, at least six months from now, when the pulse of electrons meets the expanding "drain" of electrons down the other side back to the battery? But maybe this scenario is completely wrong -- after all, how would everything "know" that the circuit does in fact complete at the other end? Would it take a year for any current to start flowing at all, and if so, how does everything pass along the "message" that yes, this is a complete loop?

Another way of asking the same question is to shrink the circuit back to a normal scale but slow everything the hell down for a nanosecond-by-nanosecond play, starting at the moment the battery is connected. How and when does each bit of the wire know to start the grand bucket-brigade to pass electrons thataway?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The simplified answer is that it works the same as the long rod, electrons get pushed/pulled by the voltage differential around the loop until they meet up and there's current flow everywhere. This is referred to as the retarded potential, and yes all the jokes have already been made.

e: To clarify another thing, if you have a complete circuit and you take a chunk out of it, the reason electricity stops flowing isn't because it 'knows' that the circuit is broken. The electrons are still getting 'pushed' just as hard, it's just that it takes more work to make them move through air as opposed to metal. If you push hard enough you can make a complete circuit anyhow, which is why arcing happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMbN9nb3qyk

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 24, 2017

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Mister Facetious posted:

What flavor is tiger tail ice cream? Is it just chocolate and orange?
I never liked the look of it.

the popular kids posted:

Orange and black licorice. Yuck.

Who the gently caress is this for?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 27, 2017

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

Take the sim out of your old phone and put it in the new one.

If you don't have that, whoever liases with Verizon needs to get it ported.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What flavor is tiger tail ice cream? Is it just chocolate and orange?
I never liked the look of it.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Orange and black licorice. Yuck.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

Related question that I've always kind of wondered about : If you had a loop of wire one light-year long, and hooked it up to a bigass battery, what would be the sequence of events as current started to flow? One possibility is you'd get a big pulse of electrons shooting down the wire out of the negative terminal of the battery. But would the resulting positive charge in the battery start sucking electrons in from the wire on the positive terminal, creating a current there too? What happens at the far side of the loop, at least six months from now, when the pulse of electrons meets the expanding "drain" of electrons down the other side back to the battery? But maybe this scenario is completely wrong -- after all, how would everything "know" that the circuit does in fact complete at the other end? Would it take a year for any current to start flowing at all, and if so, how does everything pass along the "message" that yes, this is a complete loop?

Another way of asking the same question is to shrink the circuit back to a normal scale but slow everything the hell down for a nanosecond-by-nanosecond play, starting at the moment the battery is connected. How and when does each bit of the wire know to start the grand bucket-brigade to pass electrons thataway?

If it's a light year long? You'd probably lose literally all of the electricity along the way. Electricity basically flows at the speed of light. Obviously this is slower through a solid mass. If you want to talk about something theoretical (as in, a perfect superconductor that can hold its charge forever, that electrons won't leak out of, and has the density of a vacuum) you'd get electricity at the other end in a year. For "normal" materials electricity would escape along the way and you'd see less electricity come out the other end more than a year later, if you saw any at all.

It would really depend on a lot of factors but the short of it is that you would, in fact, draw power from the battery which would start to flow through the wire. Over the distance of the wire the charge would reduce but the electricity would keep flowing through it until electrical resistance killed the charge. If there is no resistance you'd get charge on the other end of the wire more than a year later.

If the wire has less charge than the battery then it'll suck power out of the battery no matter what.

Really the sequence of events would be more mundane than you think. The charge would leave the battery. The wire, which probably has a lower charge, would suck up electrons and they'd travel along it.

edit: Partially in response to this and the other question about light years do remember that absolutely nothing is instantaneous. Ever. The reason things seem to happen instantly is because they happen faster than you can register. No you can't send messages with a pole many light years long by just jiggling your end of it. Spinning a disk a light year in radius at light speed at its middle won't happen because to do that you'd have to spin the outer edge faster than light speed. It's still fun poo poo to think about but you can't go faster than light. There is no rules lawyering beyond that (the theoretical exception is a warp drive but that's a different beast...you aren't travelling faster than light you're compressing spacetime). Things on large scales don't behave the way you think that small scales work.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 26, 2017

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How long does the TSA precheck interview itself tend to take? I can't find that information on their website, and my wife needs it to figure out a slot in her schedule.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

hooah posted:

How long does the TSA precheck interview itself tend to take? I can't find that information on their website, and my wife needs it to figure out a slot in her schedule.

I was in and out in like 10-15 min. Maybe because I'm a WASP, but there wasn't much to it.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Mine was 5 mins. Literally just a fingerprint scan and I was on my way. Had a security clearance already through so maybe that jumped some steps.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a way in browser or directly through imgur to censor images? Like, if I want to screen cap a dumb social media post but don't want to include the peoples names, but I'm too lazy to bust open photoshop and do it?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
The Awesome Screenshot Chrome extension lets you edit your screenshots before saving them to your hard drive. :iia:

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 26, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rabbit Hill posted:

The Awesome Screenshot Chrome extension lets you edit your screenshots before saving them to your hard drive. :iia:

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

hooah posted:

10-15 minutes. Much like clearing security at the airport, it is a lot of hoops, none of which feel particularly like they're making the country safer.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Global entry is the same. Quick in and out. Definitely worth the extra $20 if you travel internationally even a little.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm listening to an old BBC radio show and a character said "You know our readers: they'd compare a bad photograph to a good drawing!"

What is he saying here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

I'm listening to an old BBC radio show and a character said "You know our readers: they'd compare a bad photograph to a good drawing!"

What is he saying here?

He's disparaging their ability to make good comparisons. Photography and drawings should be rated on separate scales, and he's saying the readers might thus regard good drawings as terrible or bad photography as wonderful.