Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I've started using the naughty word but it's because I've been angrier lately. I imagine it'll be all I can say next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

so, um, do we have a cigarette now or what?

Kiss

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Why is it that all projects involving the internet get massive focus creep.

They start off wanting a state in Iraq and al-Sham, and then they're capturing cities in the Philippines. Are they going to add another letter? They can be ISPIS.

Sudan next.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

sassassin posted:

That was the joke, thanks.

Well it seemed like you needed a bit of help making it so

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Wait what how the hell did they get to the Philippines?

Philipines has been a hotspot for Islamist terrorism since at least the 90s. ISIS, like AQ, isn't a unified organisation, think of it more of a franchise operation who lend their branding and marketing support to locals. Like Starbucks but with more explosions.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

so, um, do we have a cigarette now or what?

A post coital bad posting experience.

I'm smoking a tab right now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Philipines has been a hotspot for Islamist terrorism since at least the 90s. ISIS, like AQ, isn't a unified organisation, think of it more of a franchise operation who lend their branding and marketing support to locals. Like Starbucks but with more explosions.

My headcanon is that they welded pontoons to their toyotas and sailed there.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

General China posted:

A post coital bad posting experience.

I'm smoking a tab right now.

Don't smoke me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Namtab posted:

Don't smoke me

Also a good thing to shout at the police.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

General China posted:

They've had a good season, but the police are winning in the UK.

Go back the 16 years since 9 / 11.

If you look at the good old IRA years it is quite astonishing how many people the police have killed.

I've worked in custody since 2012 and haven't killed anyone yet have I done my job wrong?????

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Namtab posted:

Don't smoke me

Colloquial geordie.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

OwlFancier posted:

My headcanon is that they welded pontoons to their toyotas and sailed there.

Watercaliphate is a solution that neither side has considered enough, to be brutally honest.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Gaz2k21 posted:

I've worked in custody since 2012 and haven't killed anyone yet have I done my job wrong?????

Just look up deaths following police contact.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Sudan next.
Perpetual Islamic State of Syria, France, Lebanon, Algeria, Philippines, and Sudan

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Perpetual Islamic State of Syria, France, Lebanon, Algeria, Philippines, and Sudan

as I am more often in gbs : you missed out the UK.
Anyway, sorry in case there are actual Native Americans posting in d&d, I have nothing against you, but strawmen are made to burn.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That doesn't fit the acronym.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
ahahahaah, i am a dumbfuck.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gaz2k21 posted:

Yes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gaz2k21 posted:

You might not be doing your fair share of the murdering.

Not sure if that means you might want to talk to your union rep or keep quiet cos you somehow managed to luck out of it.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't want to sound unempathetic and this might be too soon but has anyone unironically said "This is bad for Jeremy Corbyn" yet?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

OwlFancier posted:

You might not be doing your fair share of the murdering.

I'll have to up my game.....

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Would be nice if people stopped referring to it as "ISIS", to be honest. Perfectly good name a lot of people were given and having trouble with thanks to bigots who don't know about the Egyptian goddess.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Would be nice if people stopped referring to it as "ISIS", to be honest. Perfectly good name a lot of people were given and having trouble with thanks to bigots who don't know about the Egyptian goddess.

I'm not convinced they'll pack it in if we start calling them a name they don't like tho

Bedshaped posted:

I don't want to sound unempathetic and this might be too soon but has anyone unironically said "This is bad for Jeremy Corbyn" yet?

Yes.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Things are in good hands then. See ya.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pochoclo posted:

I'm more worried about the poor split-up American post-metal band. How can they ever reform without a name change to Isis The Band Who Formed In 1997 so their shows don't get attacked by EDL type fuckwits?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

All this about police cuts being exposed is great, but I'm having a hard time seeing how it would have helped - didn't they deem him as a low risk? Would it have changed if they had more surveillance/intelligence people available? It's really drat hard to stop some determined guy going into a public building and detonating a suicide bomb, no matter how many police you have, so I guess the real failure here was risk assessment?
In addition to the points about analysts possibly seeing the warning signs earlier they also might've been able to respond to the incident faster/better. I think in general though the massive cuts to the police expose how hollow and false May's attempts to paint herself as a pro-security candidate is though. It doesn't matter how many Orwellian charters and draconian punishments you introduce if the police don't have the resources to actually catch anyone.

I'd note that this stuff isn't coming from partisan Labour voices either, it's coming from both front line and high ranking police officers. I think that lends it extra credibility to this angle, particularly since the police are not traditionally bleeding heart lefties.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Pochoclo posted:

This is probably how people called Adolph felt 70 years ago.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

General China posted:

Just look up deaths following police contact.

I expect more people die following doctor contact.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Ugh gently caress off hakima-

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I realise the NHS is in a bad way but I don't think the police should be doing surgery imo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

spectralent posted:

This is probably how people called Adolph felt 70 years ago.
I know a couple of Polish people with older grandfathers who always went by their middle name.

Then again A. W. Hermann Kolbe always went by Hermann Kolbe, and he died long before that was an issue, which is strange.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

radmonger posted:

[1] ok, there is a 100% overlap with 'places the U.K.has, at some point, hosed over. But then that is just another way is saying 'places'.

Congratumalations, you worked it out!

For example, the fuckhead who just killed a bunch of people, his family are apparently Libyan refugees. Libya is hosed up after the whole 'get Gaddafi out and let whoever fill the power vacuum' thing we were involved in. ISIS rose out of the whole 'get Saddam out and let whoever fill the power vacuum' thing we were involved in.

So even if you think we're only currently loving over Yemen, the consequences of past fuckings over are still being felt and lived and producing serious repercussions. And aside from our direct involvement in a particular place, you might have noticed a certain thread, the things we tend to do and get involved in, what happens to the people in those places. That's what people are talking about when they say 'foreign policy' in a broad sense

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Why not call them Daesh? They seem to hate that, least that's what I've heard so far.
This is tragic, as always happens when innocents suffer. However I'm not sure why you would be so quick to dismiss the one guy saying that it's a false flag operation. I think leftists of such a pedigree would know about operation gladio. Definitely, UK was probably not where Gladio was set up, but such things do happen. I mean, I'm canadian, so that tends to be my focus on things. But for example, there was this recent case.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...rticle31199892/
Basically the RCMP found a couple pissed off former heroin addicts, and entrapped them to the point they thought they would be killed unless they went along with planting "bombs" that the RCMP provided.
Well, at least they stepped in before anybody got hurt right?
But then there's this case;
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/rcmp-bombed-oil-site-in-dirty-tricks-campaign-1.188599
No entrapment in this one, but a bomb does go off and get blamed on someone else. Once again, no one got hurt, that's true.
So I guess the main factor that this differs from this particular case (aside from the obvious geographical and organisation distance) is that no innocents have gotten hurt (besides the poor guy thrown in jail), is the fact that innocents got hurt. Luckily, no one in this thread or in the world would think that the current people in power in the UK could let harm happen to innocents.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
*throws smoke bomb and dives out window*

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I usually do call them Daesh, I guess I've just been hearing ISIS a lot lately. I don't know if they really hate it but it's better to let other people name them, especially for solidarity

Now I've got a window to dive out of

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Ardent Communist posted:

Why not call them Daesh? They seem to hate that, least that's what I've heard so far.
This is tragic, as always happens when innocents suffer. However I'm not sure why you would be so quick to dismiss the one guy saying that it's a false flag operation. I think leftists of such a pedigree would know about operation gladio. Definitely, UK was probably not where Gladio was set up, but such things do happen. I mean, I'm canadian, so that tends to be my focus on things. But for example, there was this recent case.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...rticle31199892/
Basically the RCMP found a couple pissed off former heroin addicts, and entrapped them to the point they thought they would be killed unless they went along with planting "bombs" that the RCMP provided.
Well, at least they stepped in before anybody got hurt right?
But then there's this case;
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/rcmp-bombed-oil-site-in-dirty-tricks-campaign-1.188599
No entrapment in this one, but a bomb does go off and get blamed on someone else. Once again, no one got hurt, that's true.
So I guess the main factor that this differs from this particular case (aside from the obvious geographical and organisation distance) is that no innocents have gotten hurt (besides the poor guy thrown in jail), is the fact that innocents got hurt. Luckily, no one in this thread or in the world would think that the current people in power in the UK could let harm happen to innocents.

Hell, if you want to look at false flag attacks in the UK, we've got you covered.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

radmonger posted:

That smells of just world fallacy. There is hardly any overlap between 'places where the nans of U.K.-based terrorists live' and 'places U.K. foriegn policy is directly, or indirectly, loving over'[1]. When was the last time you heard of a Yemeni terrorist?

In reality, it is more they are at a situation in life where their nan would say 'sort yourself out, maybe join the army''. But they don't specify _which_ army. And it turns out there is more than one recruiting office active, and maybe the ISIS one is nearer, has lower standards, and promises halal meals.

Remember, all the way through the Troubles, Britain had army recruiting offices open in Dublin. Neither Bloody Sunday nor Good Friday had any noticeable effect on the number of people walking in through the front door. Offer people a choice, some take it. Having taken that choice, they will believe the set of facts necessary to politically justify it.

[1] ok, there is a 100% overlap with 'places the U.K.has, at some point, hosed over. But then that is just another way is saying 'places'.

Does Charlie Hebdo count? The gunmen were French-Algerian, but they were working for the Yemeni branch of al-Qa'eda, who by all accounts are seriously scary dudes.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://www.podravka.com/product/chutney-roasted-hot/ I guess Chutney is the closes english thing, But its called Ajvar and I wish for some of you to taste it sometime. I think its Ace.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

baka kaba posted:

I usually do call them Daesh, I guess I've just been hearing ISIS a lot lately. I don't know if they really hate it but it's better to let other people name them, especially for solidarity

Now I've got a window to dive out of

I call em Daesh.
But a singular one of them is a Daeshoosh.

Unfortunately a very fun word to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

feedmegin posted:

Who's 'we'? I don't remember you as a regular.

Not that it matters, but I've read near enough every post in here for about seven/eight years and been posting as long. I credit this thread for a lot of my transition from idiot student liberal to grumpy internet communist.

For content, have a "terrorism suits May" in the wild courtesy of my local Labour vice-chairman. http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/stroud-labour-activist-suspended-saying-72408

• Locked thread