Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Mike & Mike apparently hate each other and per Deadspin, some people close to the show will be shocked if it makes it to the end of the year.

https://deadspin.com/report-mikes-dont-like-each-other-1795445288

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Has anyone mentioned that the Simpsons now apparently has a reoccurring character based on Stephen A. Smith?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

No because nobody really watches them these days

Also Golic and Wingo was supposed to start in the fall in any case

Here's a nice article talking about those who want ESPN to fail

https://theringer.com/espn-critics-decline-sports-media-242e1f99129

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

all-Rush mixtape posted:

NBCUniversal is rebranding Universal HD as the Olympic Channel in July. Universal HD is best known for showing movies and WWE replays.

Universal HD is also what replaced the old Universal Sports Network which served basically the same purpose as this new Olympic channel.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Are there any sports journalists that cover sports from a pro labor angle? I hear so much commentary about such and such team scoring a great contract when that always means screwing a player out of what they're worth. There's also the weird pity teams have for owners about lockouts or struggling to stay under the salary cap which is a rule they decided on. I guess deadspin does a little bit of this but it's usually a little sleazy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Lions beat writer at the Detroit Free Press, Dave Birkett, is low key pro-players. He recently said Calvin Johnson is right to be miffed about the Lions taking back 300 grand of signing bonus. And he always stands up for players getting the max money they can from the team independent of cap space and the like.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 23, 2017

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Peanut President posted:

Universal HD is also what replaced the old Universal Sports Network which served basically the same purpose as this new Olympic channel.

No, universal HD has been around for a while. It was one of the first HD only channels.

They did dump a bunch of their contracts onto that channel though.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Lebatard and Bomani are both really good on advocating for players' rights, especially with regards to the NFL. And in basketball Lebitz jerks off every other day to Lebron's ability to leverage his power to generate wealth for others despite cap restrictions. Other than that, most people are always pro team cus it plays well with the fans and keeps their longterm sources (GMs, management, etc.) happy

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

inferis posted:

Are there any sports journalists that cover sports from a pro labor angle? I hear so much commentary about such and such team scoring a great contract when that always means screwing a player out of what they're worth. There's also the weird pity teams have for owners about lockouts or struggling to stay under the salary cap which is a rule they decided on. I guess deadspin does a little bit of this but it's usually a little sleazy.

Deadspin hasn't really been "sleazy" in awhile now. The writing can be hit or miss but it hasn't been the Daulerio style "here is a poorly sourced list of who people at ESPN are loving" type stuff in a long time. They're pretty good about being pro labor. SBNation, at least as far as the main site goes, is I think generally pretty pro labor. The MLB coverage at the Ringer too, especially Baumann, although he may do more of it on twitter.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

inferis posted:

Patrick Hruby at Vice does and Dave Zirin is another guy who covers sports almost exclusively through a labor/social justice perspective.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Akileese posted:

Mike & Mike apparently hate each other and per Deadspin, some people close to the show will be shocked if it makes it to the end of the year.

https://deadspin.com/report-mikes-dont-like-each-other-1795445288

This doesn't surprise me. It seems the only time two man radio teams don't end up hating each other is . . . I actually can't think of a time it hasn't happened for duos that would be considered successful.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

R.D. Mangles posted:

Patrick Hruby at Vice does and Dave Zirin is another guy who covers sports almost exclusively through a labor/social justice perspective.

Jay Bilas is probably the highest profile guy I've seen willing to call out the NCAA for their bullshit. Most of the people in college sports media either keep quiet as to not upset their masters, or are aggressively stupid shills like Doug Gottlieb.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

sportsgenius86 posted:

No, universal HD has been around for a while. It was one of the first HD only channels.

They did dump a bunch of their contracts onto that channel though.

My mistake.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

inferis posted:

Michael bauman of the ringer is very pro labor. That's all I know.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

inferis posted:

Who are you hearing that is mostly anti labor? Asking because most of the commentary I hear (though admittedly I do not watch any sports punditry tv anymore) is pro labor.

Rick posted:

This doesn't surprise me. It seems the only time two man radio teams don't end up hating each other is . . . I actually can't think of a time it hasn't happened for duos that would be considered successful.

I think it has to do with working about 40-50 hours a week (between being live, meetings, going over show notes), just sitting next to a guy day in and day out drat near every day for years. That has to get to you for a while. I'm actually shocked that Kornheiser and Wilbon seem to get along so well after all these years.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/jay-mariotti-threatens-scott-van-pelt-lawsuit-ridiculous-twitter-fight.html

Jay Mariotti got in a Twitter fight with SVP and even threatened a defamation suit.

lol

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Akileese posted:

Who are you hearing that is mostly anti labor? Asking because most of the commentary I hear (though admittedly I do not watch any sports punditry tv anymore) is pro labor.

It's been a while since I heard an anti-labor argument on TV. The closest I can think of are the NBA commenters who were freaking out over Tyler Johnson's contract while willfully ignoring the CBA that made such contracts inevitable. The majority of THEY'RE GETTING A FREE EDUCATION and CONCUSS ME FOR MILLIONS-type poo poo is coming from Twitter.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

DJExile posted:

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/jay-mariotti-threatens-scott-van-pelt-lawsuit-ridiculous-twitter-fight.html

Jay Mariotti got in a Twitter fight with SVP and even threatened a defamation suit.

lol

Hahahah. The reviews of Mariotti's podcast are great:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

angrygodofjebus posted:

Hahahah. The reviews of Mariotti's podcast are great:

oh that is just beautiful

E: Is he already on his own? I know he and Woody were going to do a podcast together but I don't know if that's dead already or never even got off the ground.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

According to awful announcing, Woody quietly left it over a month ago.

Honestly, Jay Mariotti is such a non-entity at this point that he pretty much isn't even worthy of the attention of a pile on.

It'd be funnier if he just had his like 13 5 star reviews and 4 2 star reviews

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I never @-ed Jay Mariotti but he blocked me on twitter after I made a Mariotti post

Which means he searches his own name :laugh:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Rick posted:

Click and Clack were at each other's throats by the mid 90s

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/867406378557743105

i get why they're doing it

but here's the punchline

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/867406378557743105

i get why they're doing it

but here's the punchline

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That's the transcript, not the punchline.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hey guys! Remember that football game that even the hardest of the hardcore football fans don't watch because it's total poo poo?

Well get fuckin' hype because now it's gonna be simulcast on both ABC and ESPN!

E: vvvv lol

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 24, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

Hey guys! Remember that football game that even the hardest of the hardcore football fans don't watch because it's total poo poo?

Well get fuckin' hype because now it's gonna be simulcast on both ABC and ESPN!

That's no big deal, Monday Night Football used to be on ABC, so it makes sense to go back th........OHHHHHHHHH you meant THAT game that nobody watches because its total poo poo. My bad.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the New Jersey Devils fired radio analyst Sherry Ross with no reason given.

The way her tweets read, i'm guessing it's something to do with current management, which is a shame. She was fantastic and I hope she catches on somewhere.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Going back to announcers and the like, I can really see how regional ones, especially MLB ones can get on each others nerves if you're working together for almost seven months of the year and six days a week. But nationally? Nah, you're not used that often. I also really don't get the obsession with having a number one announce team, a number two, etc. In the UK, Sky have almost done away with the concept and regularly mix and match who announces what, and you end up with the quirk of having Rob Hawthorne, seen as the number two play by play guy, commentating on the 2005 Champions League final alongside Andy Gray, who was seen as the number one colour guy. Mixing and matching, and giving your lower totem commentators bigger games will probably go a long way to making strained out of the booth relationships work.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Akileese posted:

Yeah, I'm not seeing much anti-labor talk in sports media.

When it comes to ESPN, I'm at a point where maybe we shouldn't look at them for journalistic integrity in the first place. As has been talked about over the years, their partnerships make it hard to be objective. Maybe they should just be treated as "infotainment" as the article points out. I never understood the anger over First Take or any of that other garbage. It's cheap programming and the people who complain the most about it are giving them exactly what they want. There are still people who don't realize that Skip Bayless is just trolling the gently caress out of them.

Also this moronic assertion that ESPN is losing viewers because they are too liberal would make sense if FS1 was actually growing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ratings over there seem like dogshit except when they have playoff baseball on.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Honestly FS1 isn't really conservative either. They have people yelling but its not really taking stances beyond insane Whitlock bullshit.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think people think FS1 is conservative because it's from the same people who gave us Fox News.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

soggybagel posted:

Honestly FS1 isn't really conservative either. They have people yelling but its not really taking stances beyond insane Whitlock bullshit.

Clay Travis is a racist piece of poo poo who picks fights on twitter with people who call him out for it

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

Clay Travis is a racist piece of poo poo who picks fights on twitter with people who call him out for it

That sounds like the definition of insane Whitlock bullshit.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Rick posted:

Petros and Money

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Chip Kelly's joining ESPN as a college studio guy

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19469859/chip-kelly-joins-espn-work-studio-analyst-college-football-nfl

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
https://twitter.com/LeKingJames23/status/867940091557277696

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GeoffShac/status/869225885810925568

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If anyone wants proof blackouts are dumb:

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/869265175047786497

Here you go.

Also, on that note:
https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/869250661568978945
https://twitter.com/stevewittich/status/869206424261447681

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I'd love to see quarterly numbers since Alonso was in the thick of it right before the engine blew out with 21 laps left. Honda strikes again. I bet the numbers went down as soon as he dropped out.

E: Remember that story about Greeny/Golic hating each other? Well Golic tried to dispute it publicly but if it's not true, I imagine Greenberg would come out and immediately dismiss it as well.

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/mike-golic-denies-relationship-mike-greenberg-poisonous-blasts-espn-staffers-leaks.html

Akileese fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I know I've been preaching this ad nauseum, but seriously, everyone should start watching the Sunday morning E:60.