Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

epic does that for sure. what has you wanting to take the carny hobo lifestyle out to california?

i applied at epic and they turned me down

a friend of mine said they have monthly company-wide meetings or something where they shove everyone in the company into one conference room that's too small like a bunch of sardines

maybe i dodged a bullet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

RISCy Business posted:

i applied at epic and they turned me down

a friend of mine said they have monthly company-wide meetings or something where they shove everyone in the company into one conference room that's too small like a bunch of sardines

maybe i dodged a bullet

staff meeting is in deep space which seats 14k

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

staff meeting is in deep space which seats 14k

hm, maybe i was lied to

can you confirm/deny my dodging a bullet though

it seemed like a cool company to work for so i was kinda :smith: at the time

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

lmao in 1980 okay

yeah wtf, mine has city/province just to say "yes i'm local" but that's it and no one has ever mentioned it??

are you all still writing resumes the way you were taught in high school or something? pro tip you don't need an objective on there either.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Put your loving address on

drat iPod owning millenials

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol at the idea of living in wisconsin willingly

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

RISCy Business posted:

hm, maybe i was lied to

they will abuse you and make you feel incompetent and horrible in every way. you dodged a bullet.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

they will abuse you and make you feel incompetent and horrible in every way. you dodged a bullet.

thank god

i'm a nervous person by nature so even the slightest hint that i'm not doing well is enough to turn me into a wreck :smith:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

RISCy Business posted:

i'm a nervous person by nature so even the slightest hint that i'm not doing well is enough to turn me into a wreck :smith:

you might want to work on that [slowly over time, not criticizing]

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

objective: figgies, somehow ease the gnawing and all enveloping existential dread of life

skills: good at bossing computers around

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

RISCy Business posted:

hm, maybe i was lied to

as someone who spent a very small time in the Milwaukee/madison tech scene they're known universally for picking up fresh grads and burning them out

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Well goons looks like the contracting fiesta that has been my life since I left my job 50 days ago is coming to an end.

I received an offer this week from a company that seems fantastic and was able to grok quite a bit of the source in the interview. It's not perfect but it's _much_ better that a lot of the code bases I've seen in my interview flurry of the last few weeks.

I asked for a bit more money on top of base because I can't not ask for more money after the initial. Hope I didn't jinx it!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

havent heard a peep posted:

The year: 2000 in Shelbyville, KY. Gunny Sgt. In ROTC told us that after the semester was out we would all either enlist or work till the grave. He also stated that on average we would all make out to 1 million over our individual life spans. I'm 33 now and my personal drive keeps hitting new levels of peak profitble efficiency albeit I literally starve myself out of spite partly because I have always been scared of big city USA and leaving my parents and Young Buck kid brother behind. I know that I don't belong to anyone and I want to make a buck and buy the family home in Wisconsin to guarantee that my parents don't ever see a retirement home. It's me. I'm the rear end in a top hat that gardens with his mother.

source your quotes

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sapozhnik posted:

source your quotes

thats how he actually posts.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Well goons looks like the contracting fiesta that has been my life since I left my job 50 days ago is coming to an end.

I received an offer this week from a company that seems fantastic and was able to grok quite a bit of the source in the interview. It's not perfect but it's _much_ better that a lot of the code bases I've seen in my interview flurry of the last few weeks.

I asked for a bit more money on top of base because I can't not ask for more money after the initial. Hope I didn't jinx it!

Figgies?????

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

do you write "dear sir/maam:" at the top of your cover letter too?

to whom it may concern,

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

to whom it may concern,

yo,

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

hi,

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

Millstone posted:

Figgies?????

20% increase in figgies. Better office. Waaaayyyyy more recent tech stack.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Rudest Buddhist posted:

20% increase in figgies. Better office. Waaaayyyyy more recent tech stack.

:getin:

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
now the lmo is well on her way out of medical software hell can we do me next?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
RE: Relocation expenses chat.

If the company offers to just pay for movers instead of a lump sum: Always take that option. 99% of the time the cost of the movers will come out to more than the lump sum.

Unless you are a single person without much stuff.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

yo

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

ratbert90 posted:

Unless you are a single person without much stuff.

yeah if you have a family it's probably a no brainer. I did an interstate move and I was a single dude living in a share house, so I took the money, gave all my poo poo to my mates except for about four boxes, and just bought everything new

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

objective: figgies, somehow ease the gnawing and all enveloping existential dread of life

skills: good at bossing computers around

reported for doxx

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

now the lmo is well on her way out of medical software hell can we do me next?

man i hope your right. today our ceo, after a lot of arguing, has finally resorted to "because i said so" as to why we should ban the use of singular "they" in our style guide. how do they expect us to work when we're all so angry all the time :(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

my work is owned by an old lady and I'm now glad that she is completely absentee

her son technically works there too, except he never shows up and instead spends all his time at his acreage in the north woods which is technically a gun store (see then you can play with the good toys)

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

cis autodrag posted:

man i hope your right. today our ceo, after a lot of arguing, has finally resorted to "because i said so" as to why we should ban the use of singular "they" in our style guide. how do they expect us to work when we're all so angry all the time :(

why on earth would you specifically ban third person pronouns? not only is that ridiculous, but why is the goddamn ceo involved

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

PierreTheMime posted:

why on earth would you specifically ban third person pronouns? not only is that ridiculous, but why is the goddamn ceo involved

she's obsessed with this lovely prescriptivist book: https://www.amazon.com/Grammar-People-Who-Hate-Rules/dp/0997664606

and it says singular "they" is bad and god dammit we are going to listen to her favorite book no matter how many non-binary skulls are crushed underfoot along the way. she's like 80 and has legit started to talk a lot like donald trump lately. i think her personal assistant is her steve bannon. this whole place is loving dysfunctional at every layer of management.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

cis autodrag posted:

she's obsessed with this lovely prescriptivist book: https://www.amazon.com/Grammar-People-Who-Hate-Rules/dp/0997664606

and it says singular "they" is bad and god dammit we are going to listen to her favorite book no matter how many non-binary skulls are crushed underfoot along the way. she's like 80 and has legit started to talk a lot like donald trump lately. i think her personal assistant is her steve bannon. this whole place is loving dysfunctional at every layer of management.

:sever:

that seriously sounds awful, sorry

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I once unknowingly said this to a client as I had been ambushed by a "surprise we invited clients!!" conference call.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Iverron posted:

I once unknowingly said this to a client as I had been ambushed by a "surprise we invited clients!!" conference call.

rekt

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
ok now the recruiter just emailed and asked if i had time for a 5-minute phone call today. freaking out again.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

ok now the recruiter just emailed and asked if i had time for a 5-minute phone call today. freaking out again.

that's good though

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qirex posted:

that's good though

is it? when yesterday he asked me to schedule a call with a senior manager for next week? my brain is screaming that they decided they're gonna pass and he's calling to tell me not to wait up.

edit: this job has just completely shattered my self confidence to the point that i literally cannot force myself to believe good things will happen to me in my career. i reiterate to anyone who was asking before, YOU DO NOT WANT TO WORK HERE

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

is it? when yesterday he asked me to schedule a call with a senior manager for next week? my brain is screaming that they decided they're gonna pass and he's calling to tell me not to wait up.

or 'yo what kinda figgies were you looking for?'

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

edit: this job has just completely shattered my self confidence to the point that i literally cannot force myself to believe good things will happen to me in my career. i reiterate to anyone who was asking before, YOU DO NOT WANT TO WORK HERE

idk I mean I got rejected from apple via email but that was years ago so who knows

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qirex posted:

idk I mean I got rejected from apple via email but that was years ago so who knows

the recruiter on the other team i applied to at apple called me to dump me, but there was a bunch of "but seriously it was only because you don't know swift pls apply to other teams".

also, your drat avatar breaks my brain for a sec every time i see it :)

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

cis autodrag posted:

just tell them you're busy today and have them reschedule for when you actually feel like taking the call. it's not like what they're telling you is going to change, and if it's really important they'll email you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

tfw you realize 5 minutes after the phone interview that your algorithm doesn't work

• Locked thread