Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

No Butt Stuff posted:

The Montana GOP guy just did that so when he loses the Republican party can point to that rather than wake the gently caress up about their lovely policies.

The race is WAAAYYYYY too close for that. This could easily be the thing that makes the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Is there a video or just audio?

poo poo, sorry - Jacob's post did say "audio". Here's hoping the local TV crew got video somehow

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/toddzwillich/status/867524259215802368

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Uh...no. Catholics have been cool with evolution for a really long time.

Yeah I probably meant gay tolerance. I type faster than I think.

Also have any lapsed catholics gone back to mass recently? They've changed all the words around to make it more "accessible."

It's a 2000 year old roman death cult I want it to at least sound cool.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

FizFashizzle posted:

He's already basically come out in favor of the theory of evolution which even twenty years ago would have been unheard of.

John Paul II updated the churches position on evolution in 96, so that's over 20 years ago as far as I can tell. posts like this just confirm that the Vatican PR team are doing their job well. Francis is the same piece of poo poo in shinier robes, his only distinction is not being a literal Nazi like Ratzinger

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

FizFashizzle posted:

He's already basically come out in favor of the theory of evolution which even twenty years ago would have been unheard of.

Literally 21 years ago, Pope John Paul II posted:

In his encyclical Humani Generis (1950), my predecessor Pius XII has already affirmed that there is no conflict between evolution and the doctrine of the faith regarding man and his vocation...Today, more than a half-century after the appearance of that encyclical, some new findings lead us toward the recognition of evolution as more than an hypothesis. In fact it is remarkable that this theory has had progressively greater influence on the spirit of researchers, following a series of discoveries in different scholarly disciplines. The convergence in the results of these independent studies—which was neither planned nor sought—constitutes in itself a significant argument in favor of the theory.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

The Catholic Church has never really had a problem with evolution. They require God to be the Creator but do not insist everything has stayed fixed at the point of creation. Evolution fits into that pretty comfortably.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/alexis_levinson/status/867525473852678144

https://twitter.com/alexis_levinson/status/867525593910435840

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's probably not healthy to constantly try to spin every potential move away from giving Republican assholes more power as actually wrong and bad or happening for the wrong reasons

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

white male boomer Republican businessman politician with violent tendencies is a special snowflake manbaby

I'm shocked, shocked

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Hey guys gonna be passing through Montana, any recommendations on the best place to get some wicked fresh ceviche?

got u fam

https://www.yelp.com/biz/feast-raw-...xpd5N5yoyzSuhtA

I haven't been enough places to say that Bozeman has 'the best' food (though that's my personal belief), but it secretly has a vast range of truly excellent eateries. Now, granted, there's a chippy in Millisle in Northern Ireland that is literally perfect food but

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FizFashizzle posted:

Pope John Paul II, literally 21 years ago, said evolution was more than mere theory. It's not exactly Darwin Rocks, but that was a pretty progressive position for the age.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

FizFashizzle posted:

Also have any lapsed catholics gone back to mass recently? They've changed all the words around to make it more "accessible."

the new translation is awful and i hate it. it has no melody and is profoundly counter-intuitive.

also, i have no idea how this thread manages to be so consistently awful when it comes to discussions of religion.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

yeah guys i was wrong. my bad.

although i remember every evolution lesson had to be prefaced that it could have all been a part of god's plan.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I've pretty much heard it as "Humans didn't evolve from monkeys but we've evolved from neanderthals and also animals can evolve like crazy."

Logic is pretty much that God can do anything so why the gently caress couldn't he make evolution a thing.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

FizFashizzle posted:

The new translation happened when ratzennazi was still pope I thought

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
:getin:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Buca di Bepis posted:

It's probably not healthy to constantly try to spin every potential move away from giving Republican assholes more power as actually wrong and bad or happening for the wrong reasons

i enjoy it when republicans don't learn from their mistakes

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

stone cold posted:

I've been away for....a while.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mezzanine posted:

poo poo, sorry - Jacob's post did say "audio". Here's hoping the local TV crew got video somehow

Let's hope it's video because just audio doesn't seem to influence elections anymore.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

QuoProQuid posted:

the new translation is awful and i hate it. it has no melody and is profoundly counter-intuitive.

also, i have no idea how this thread manages to be so consistently awful when it comes to discussions of religion.

Uh, I'm actually quite surprised at the quality of religion discussion in this thread, usually.

The only thing that the thread gets wrong is over-estimating how many evangelicals are into endtimes stuff (it's like 20% of them or something, guys)

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Buca di Bepis posted:

Trump winning broke this forum's collective brain

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

FizFashizzle posted:

I've been away for....a while.

please take me with you back to mars

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Big Bang theory was set forth by a Catholic priest/scientist

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

the new translation is awful and i hate it

also, i have no idea how this thread manages to be so consistently awful when it comes to discussions of religion

The A/T christianity thread is very chill and good with lots of healthy discussion and posting silly hats.

theflyingorc posted:

Uh, I'm actually quite surprised at the quality of religion discussion in this thread, usually.

The only thing that the thread gets wrong is over-estimating how many evangelicals are into endtimes stuff (it's like 20% of them or something, guys)

The biggest problem with talking religion on the internet is people assuming all Christians are American Evangelicals.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

stone cold posted:

the new translation was a thing that was put into motion under jp ii but was implemented under benedict

i recall some discussion about francis moving back towards the old translation, but cannot find any sources that i would consider reliable

Pellisworth posted:

The A/T christianity thread is very chill and good with lots of healthy discussion and posting silly hats.

It is a good thread.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
He has doubled down and is now refusing to acknowledge the hypothetical of if he did lose his emplyer guaranteed health insurance if he would still support it. Yikes!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Actually Pope JP2 was pretty chill in that he sheltered Jews from the Nazis at great personal risk, and by all accounts was a good goalkeeper. Still absolutely nuts about sheltering paedophiles, moving them to different parishes so they could continue to abuse for decades.

Anyway, still a better person than Trump in literally every single way

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/867527358961549312

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Anyone else refreshing the guardian every 2 seconds to hear the video of Gianforte?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tweet of the year

hanales posted:

Anyone else refreshing the guardian every 2 seconds to hear the video of Gianforte?

same but this thread

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://twitter.com/alexis_levinson/status/867527691280547840

wasn't taken into custody, because of course not

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/alexis_levinson/status/867527573168848897
https://twitter.com/alexis_levinson/status/867527691280547840

what the gently caress any other person would have gotten arrested

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Hell,Brother Gregor Mendel is the father of modern genetics, our modern conception of evolution stems from his work

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Well clearly he should be excommunicated ASAP, that show is a travesty.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I know it gets asked alot.... But 1200 posts? What happened...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/867526997894811648

He is going to win

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

RC Cola posted:

I know it gets asked alot.... But 1200 posts? What happened...

Go gently caress yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Police were reportedly "deeply disturbed".

• Locked thread