Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

murked by dragon posted:

The federal government has been establishing a few job pools for science positions over the last year or so. They had a campaign recently called "#iwantasciencejob". They said they were overwhelmed with responses and were surprised that so many people with science degrees were looking for work, lol
0 new universities. 0 profs retiring. Negative funding changes after inflation. Increased number of grad students per prof in STEM.

No one saw it coming!

Currently it's like 6% of PhD holders actually get a job and only 17% of labs get funding. There's a lot of funneling of money to big labs with recognition and power so there's now a smaller number of early stage researchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvilJoven posted:

I haven't had cable in years so the only thing I watch is lovely superhero shows (and I've even stopped watching the DC ones because they're too terrible to even be a guilty pleasure), game of thrones, the Americans and sometimes whatever Netflix produces.

Is this an actual show? If so is it on TLC or History? Man, I remember when both of those networks didn't target mouth breathing simpletons as their core audience. Hell even 'history only happened between the Nazi invasion of Poland and the bombing of Nagasaki' era History was more high brow.

natgeo. The doomsday preppers are all 100% sure that civilization is going to end any day now so they cover why and then tour bunkers and then grade their preppery. Basically like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okYA1L809PM

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

natgeo. The doomsday preppers are all 100% sure that civilization is going to end any day now so they cover why and then tour bunkers and then grade their preppery. Basically like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okYA1L809PM

I have a bunker m'lady, please join me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

Is this an actual show? If so is it on TLC or History? Man, I remember when both of those networks didn't target mouth breathing simpletons as their core audience. Hell even 'history only happened between the Nazi invasion of Poland and the bombing of Nagasaki' era History was more high brow.

If you don't like Forged In Fire, then fuuuuuck yooooou! :v:

(The Ancient Aliens-type poo poo drives me mad, though)

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

cowofwar posted:

0 new universities. 0 profs retiring. Negative funding changes after inflation. Increased number of grad students per prof in STEM.

No one saw it coming!

Currently it's like 6% of PhD holders actually get a job and only 17% of labs get funding. There's a lot of funneling of money to big labs with recognition and power so there's now a smaller number of early stage researchers.

People like to harp on the humanities for being lovely degrees to pursue if you want to get a job (STEM!!!), but I think in this climate, a BSc with a specialization in biology might be one of the most useless degrees you can get. You absolutely need to go to grad school to leverage it, and even then you're taking a huge risk. Watching the scores of underpaid post-docs in my department just decaying in front of me made me do a hard pivot out of academia.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

LMBO those guys are like one step away from getting ready for an actual zombie apocalypse. No, I'm not preparing for any of that nonsense.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

murked by dragon posted:

People like to harp on the humanities for being lovely degrees to pursue if you want to get a job (STEM!!!), but I think in this climate, a BSc with a specialization in biology might be one of the most useless degrees you can get. You absolutely need to go to grad school to leverage it, and even then you're taking a huge risk. Watching the scores of underpaid post-docs in my department just decaying in front of me made me do a hard pivot out of academia.
Yeah but a two year contract fellowship position for which you have to relocate across the country is basically a get rich scheme at $35k/yr.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
lmao if you aren't using your HELOC to build 10 foot high concrete walls around your house with sniper towers to prepare for the zombie apocalypse.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The lead for the NDP in Courtenay-Comox is up to 148 votes. Not looking good for the liberals to even get the mandatory judicial recount. (Which I think would require a vote difference of around 58)

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Well, here's to small victories anyway. :toot:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Evis posted:

The lead for the NDP in Courtenay-Comox is up to 148 votes. Not looking good for the liberals to even get the mandatory judicial recount. (Which I think would require a vote difference of around 58)

I haven't been following the absentee counting, will they be at 44?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's still 43/41/3 right now I think.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah it looks like it'll be 43/41/3 unless the last few absentee ballots go strongly in favour of the liberals.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I dislike Weaver but I really hope he and Horgan buddy up and form government.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I, too, relish the thought of a lunatic that close to power! What could go wrong, after all?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CLAM DOWN posted:

I dislike Weaver but I really hope he and Horgan buddy up and form government.

Haven't the greens all but officially said they'll team up with the liberals ahead of the ndp because Weaver is garbage? He'll support another 4 years of Christie destroying the environment so long as he gets a vague promise for electoral reform and NO UNION MONEY which will never happen and then next election he'll campaign saying we need more greens in the legislature and it was all those dastardly ndp who foiled electoral reform?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's BC, no matter what happens it will be bad.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

I, too, relish the thought of a lunatic that close to power! What could go wrong, after all?

Worst case, Ontario

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

PT6A posted:

It's not like the premier has their finger on nukes, what's the worst that could happen?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

I'd rather Weaver be close to power than for Christy to have power. You are not a BCer, you don't know what she's done/not done.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
Weaver won't say what he's planning because why give up the leverage? I personally think he'd rather back Christy, if only because he seems to have it in for Horgan for whatever reason, he's BCNDP so it's probably a good one.

But on his party's biggest declared issues, Electoral reform and the environment, the NDP is a much closer match. Horgan is probably willing to cut him a way better deal. And if he props up the Liberals again he's going to have to explain to a lot of people how he's a force for change in politics, including his own party. Maybe even his own MLAs? He's never had to deal with that before. I don't think we know the other two well enough to say if they'd revolt or even be upset.

I mean, I'm a relatively active union member and voted NDP for that reason, amongst others, but the health sector contracts are up next year, and if the price of becoming premier is agreeing to kick the public sector unions in the teeth, John Horgan will take that in a heartbeat. What are they going to do next time, vote for Christy?

Edit: that said, given our lack of experience with coalitions and the tempers involved, I don't see a green/NDP government lasting more than a year or so. I hope they get PR implemented before that.

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 24, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I would assume it would be easier to convince two Liberal MLAs to cross the floor than deal with the continual petty tyranny of the Green Party suddenly high on their role as kingmaker.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Let the NDP/Greens govern for a year before they collapse, but in that time, they implement PR. That would be the best possible outcome for BC as whole imo

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Patrick Brown isnt premier yet though so we cant really make that claim.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
An NDP/Green government would last precisely long enough to get the Greens official party status and institute electoral reform sans referendum, before they brought it down to hold an election under the new system.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Liberals' provincewide vote margin is now at 1760 with some ballots still to be counted. (It was over 17,000 a few days ago.) That's less than 0.09 percent. Pundits often use the phrase "photo finish" but this really is one, holy hell

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THC posted:

The Liberals' provincewide vote margin is now at 1760 with some ballots still to be counted. (It was over 17,000 a few days ago.) That's less than 0.09 percent. Pundits often use the phrase "photo finish" but this really is one, holy hell

Jesus. I want to laugh at everyone who told me I was crazy for saying that the absentee ballots tend to swing NDP/green, they sure did this time.

ZShakespeare posted:

An NDP/Green government would last precisely long enough to get the Greens official party status and institute electoral reform sans referendum, before they brought it down to hold an election under the new system.

That's not a bad thing imo

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I'm looking forward to the spin of the bc libs :words:ing about their popular vote win as a reason to be supported in a minority, will of the people etc. Conveniently ignoring the 16% or so that voted green.

We really need proportional representation. NZ was really angsty about it when we switched but it mostly worked out pretty well and I'd say led to a more representative government. The first couple of parliaments were a disaster though after it came in.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ZShakespeare posted:

Let's hope not, that would be dumb as hell. Ideally it could be a test run for the endless coalitions that would be the norm under PR.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

Patrick Brown isnt premier yet though so we cant really make that claim.

Low energy zinger, luckily Patrick Brown is a high energy Barrisien. Speaking of energy, the province is subsidizing hydro bills, thanks bros.

quote:

Premier Kathleen Wynne’s proposal to cut hydro rates by 25 per cent this year while capping increases to the rate of inflation for the next four years will save consumers $24-billion. But it will cost the province $45-billion over the next 29 years, according to an assessment released Wednesday morning by the province’s Financial Accountability Office.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/hydro-plan-will-cost-45-billion-to-save-ontarians-24-billion-fao/article35096250/

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Low energy zinger, luckily Patrick Brown is a high energy Barrisien.

Barriem'n

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's not a bad thing imo

It's the one thing that I've been hoping for out of this whole bloody mess, and it can only happen in a minority, as Trudeau taught us.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Low energy zinger, luckily Patrick Brown is a high energy Barrisien.

You know who else was? His personal political hero and Jet Ski stunt man Stockwell Day.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Final count.

BCLP 796,672 (40.36%)
NDP 795,106 (40.28%)
GRN 332,387 (16.84%)
LBN 7,838 (0.40%)
OTH 41,911 (2.12%)

The Liberals' provincewide vote margin over the NDP was 1566, or 0.079% of the total.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

The Libertarian vote was bigger than the popular vote margin.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Are there any Liberal leaders in waiting likely to stab Christy Clark in the back or front over this ? I can't imagine their donor base is happy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

62.5% turnout, compared to 55.3% in 2013. Not great but I'm happy there was an increase.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

mashed_penguin posted:

Are there any Liberal leaders in waiting likely to stab Christy Clark in the back or front over this ? I can't imagine their donor base is happy.

Allegedly, Kevin Falcon and his backers are getting ready to make their move. I always thought Falcon was just another Gordon Campbell but clearly a lot of BCLP people would love a younger, less alcoholic Gordo running things.

You would think voters would have an issue with a high ranking cabinet member running away from the party when they thought they'd lose only to opportunistically swoop back in, but, well, Christy Clark.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/courtenay-comox-final-results-1.4129821

CBC News posted:

NDP Leader John Horgan and Green Leader Andrew Weaver have tentatively scheduled press availability following the conclusion of today's count, while B.C. Liberal Premier Christy Clark has yet to indicate her availability.

New BCLP strategy: pouting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Far too busy forming a government to talk to the press the evening the results are announced. :v: