Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

glam rock hamhock posted:

I don't really see how Valerian won't flop. Like movies that have looked remarkably like it have flopped and with less terrible names than Valerian. The only real question is whether it will actually be good which I give about a 50/50 chance.

Unrelated, for those that care but don't check up on this type of thing regularly: there's a new Night Mind.

And it's on motherfuckin petscop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Tonight's game plan:
-Fire Walk With Me
-New Twin Peaks ep 1
-Personal Shopper

Gonna die

By "ep 1" I hope you mean parts 1 and 2

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

Tonight's game plan:
-Fire Walk With Me
-New Twin Peaks ep 1
-Personal Shopper

Gonna die

You gonna die and then be reborn

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm pretty upset about this poo poo.

https://twitter.com/SpeakerRyan/status/867483782156345344

loving little prick

For a second, I thought that was Kyle MacLachlan and this was some weird Twin Peaks tie-in.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Surprising no one, Sleepless sucks.

But what doesn't suck is YTotD, Vladislav Starevich's Beautiful Lyukanida, a 1912 stop-motion period piece enacted by beetles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA9dk2NOfF0

edit:

I'mma watch Unbreakable for the first time since I saw it as a young'n on VHS in 2001.

First thought: You know what this would be a dope double feature with? A History of Violence.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 25, 2017

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Starewicz rules.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Anonymous Robot posted:

Starewicz rules.

drat straight.

Also - first thing I remember explicitly about Unbreakable: Bruce Willis accidentally gets a raise because he's somehow remained complacent to the fact that for the past five years he's never been sick. Good scene, one shot.

Also, also - white privilege reading, re: Mr. Glass being born in 1961 with 'glass bones' versus all-American Bruce Willis never being sick a day in his life?

edit:

I love how the first two scenes involving the 'origin story' of Mr. Glass are composed around reflections in glass. Even when he first unboxes the limited edition Active Comics* issue, it's upside down, a 'reflection' if you will.

This movie was super dope.

* Great joke, that.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 25, 2017

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I predict that Baywatch is going to beat Pirates movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I went and made that yakuza thread if anyone was interested.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821609&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post472690383

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword is kinda charming despite being a little ragged. Parts of it are basically GTA Camelot.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Baywatch is so, so dumb. At the same time, it's so watchable that I enjoyed watching it. It's really a duet movie between Johnson and Effron, but the women are always portrayed as competent at their jobs.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i kinda hate when pol-chat happens in this topic because there's an entire forum for it, but I would like to point out that if someone wrote a congressional candidate choke-slamming a journalist into the ground and punching him the night before his election in a movie it would be rejected for being unrealistic. and yet:

https://twitter.com/sopandeb/status/867572181131292672

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol how do you let that old bald gently caress beat you up?

He'll win because of this.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DC Murderverse posted:

i kinda hate when pol-chat happens in this topic because there's an entire forum for it, but I would like to point out that if someone wrote a congressional candidate choke-slamming a journalist into the ground and punching him the night before his election in a movie it would be rejected for being unrealistic. and yet:

https://twitter.com/sopandeb/status/867572181131292672

you do realize that punch will win him the election

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
things are stupid as hell

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Those 'based on a true story'-style titles at the end of Unbreakable were a really great choice. Even back then, Shyamalan had a wicked sense of humor.

'Nother great part of the movie: When Shyamalan's cameo is as the 'anonymous brown guy' who Bruce Willis suspects as a drug dealer, and the decision to leave it ambiguous as to whether his 'sixth sense' worked, or whether he's just going off of racial prejudice.

Great flick.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

corn in the bible posted:

you do realize that punch will win him the election

he was going to win before it, but it is hilarious that the party of "family values" is going to be up one more member with an assault charge on his record (assuming he gets charged, which in an ideal world he would because that's what should happen when you choke-slam someone and start punching them)

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

DC Murderverse posted:

he was going to win before it, but it is hilarious that the party of "family values" is going to be up one more member with an assault charge on his record (assuming he gets charged, which in an ideal world he would because that's what should happen when you choke-slam someone and start punching them)

Tbh I'm much more concerned that that guy believes retirement is immoral because Noah was 600 years old when he built the ark.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Congrats on the new Press Secretary appointment, Gianforte!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

K. Waste posted:

Surprising no one, Sleepless sucks.

But what doesn't suck is YTotD, Vladislav Starevich's Beautiful Lyukanida, a 1912 stop-motion period piece enacted by beetles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA9dk2NOfF0

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It turns out that freezie pops are not, in fact, good substitutes for popsicles.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Prometheus is just ending at the bar TV and both Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron run at an angle from the spaceship, the ship tilts in their direction, Theron dies because she tripped and Rapace survives because she found something to hide under.

Also the bit where the aborted fetus kills god is still amazing.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Noomi Rapace and Rooney Mara are not the same

Edit- dammit you edited too fast

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah Noomi was the much better Lisbeth

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I watched the BLAME! movie cause I liked the comic, but it was pretty lame and ugly. Oh well.

Also thanks to whoever posted The Ring Virus, it was pretty great. I don't think I liked it as much as a lot of you guys, but it certainly has some stunning shots.

I am planning to watch Metropolis for the first time. What's the best version to check out? Fandor has a 2010 restoration with a bunch of restored footage.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GonSmithe posted:

Hahahaha.

My point is people who get all tactilol about running away from giant loving objects weren't paying enough attention to the movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blisster posted:

I am planning to watch Metropolis for the first time. What's the best version to check out? Fandor has a 2010 restoration with a bunch of restored footage.

See the restoration. Best image quality, score, and cut. Thanks to GATT, it's the only real version in circulation today besides the Moroder cut.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does anyone ever wonder if David Lynch lingers on so many shots to pad out the material? Or that he includes extraneous things to be "artsy" just for the sake of it, the way a film student would?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skwirl posted:

Hahahaha.

My point is people who get all tactilol about running away from giant loving objects weren't paying enough attention to the movie.

I've seen it maybe 15 times, and all she had to do was run sideways. poo poo's rolling, fuckin, move across the plain. That's what Shaw did! She rolled to the side and survived.

Gosh dangit, I like that movie a lot but that scene is dummmb.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Josh Lyman posted:

Does anyone ever wonder if David Lynch lingers on so many shots to pad out the material? Or that he includes extraneous things to be "artsy" just for the sake of it, the way a film student would?

Hey now. Watch what you say about my boy David.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Aside from dumb idiots, probably not.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Egbert Souse posted:

See the restoration. Best image quality, score, and cut. Thanks to GATT, it's the only real version in circulation today besides the Moroder cut.

Ok, thanks!

Also I couldn't find the post, but whoever posted that Standby short film, it was great!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I've seen it maybe 15 times, and all she had to do was run sideways. poo poo's rolling, fuckin, move across the plain. That's what Shaw did! She rolled to the side and survived.

:thunk:

Shaw survives thanks to luck.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I saw it just now, both women run in the same direction and and the spaceship tilts to follow them. Charlize Theron dies because she trips and Noomi Rapace survives because she found something to hide under. And it's a movie where things like the death of a character is predetermined so no matter which direction they ran the result would have been the same, if they'd ran at a strict 90 degree angle the ship would have hit a bump, stopped and fallen directly on top of them, and the exact same thing would have happened, Theron would trip and die and Rapace would find a ledge to hide under.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 25, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shaw trips first and then rolls out of the way. Vickers trips and the thing lands on her.

Shoulda moved to the goddang side yo. The thing is clearly rolling toward you. You move away from it. It's not even like something I couldn't even comprehend in real life. If a tree was falling on me, I would move far to the side of it.

The worst part is the only way you can watch the scene is on a lovely cinema sins video.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
going to link it since it's a big gif

Shaw surviving

http://imgur.com/dTuFu8z

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I like how the Alien movies are just increasingly didactic lesson plans about the lifecycles of xenomorphs.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why did you skip shaw rolling out of the way?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
wHo CaReS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Motha fuckas always tryin to start some poo poo with their hot takes, that's what.

• Locked thread