Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

AP posted:

Sub never going read only.

True, since 3.0 is never coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Chris Roberts saw all of the real-money investment in EVE (like thousands of dollars for a ship) and saw a way for him to cash in. And it's just so sad at this point. The community and CCP's hands-off approach made that game into what it is today, and to try and force that same outcome now is just goddamn embarrassing.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Is this the mod they're ready to riot over for having the audacity to speak to goons? I can't wait to see how fast they try to throw him under the bus now. Almost feel bad for him.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
I'd say they're going to be really pissed now, but they might just fall back on the old, "ITS MORE GOON FAKERY" line.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Goddamn. I can almost imagine the poor guy grabbing his chest in agony while typing that final sentence.

In related news: GET A REFUND.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Hobold posted:

Is this the mod they're ready to riot over for having the audacity to speak to goons? I can't wait to see how fast they try to throw him under the bus now. Almost feel bad for him.

Yeah, he posted 2-3 times in the refunds reddit.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Derek is also wanted by the police in Maine. In my opinion.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Another thing I like in this gif is the bed as a prop. It isn't something cobbled together. It could support two elephants loving. All for a minor shoot.
I really like to believe that isn't a bed and is just part of the cafeteria scene. What you are seeing is the naked dude sushi bar.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Fun questions:
  • is this reply addressed to you or did someone else give it to you?
  • Why would the recipient sit on this for a month? :D

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
... gently caress's sake.

In my opinion, that's enough internet for one day. G'night all.

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot
why dont they just shadowban those dudes if they're such a burden? Like they contribute nothing and almost get their sub shut down on a regular basis. Whats he waiting for?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

It's rubbish. I wrote an article about it earlier today.

None of this matters because it is highly unlikely that they're going to be around long enough to even get to that sort of thing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AP posted:

Sub never going read only.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/68neg4/potential_backer_with_questions/dh90s9n/

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Abuminable posted:

Fun questions:
  • is this reply addressed to you or did someone else give it to you?
  • Why would the recipient sit on this for a month? :D

I someone who totally isn't me has been talking to the mods for ages, that whole subreddit is hosed lol

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So a lovely implementation that wasn't talked about for months, was nothing remotely close to what was actually marketed, and continues to be a hilarious joke that reveals how lovely CIG is at making anything fun?

Sounds about right.

:allears:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

I know, right? They even made me add an update to my article

===

UPDATE: Shortly after this article went live, some backers were trying to say that “building an MMO” out of Star Citizen, was the $3m stretch goal because it says:

“Citizens with appropriate packages will receive access to the Star Citizen universe with 40 star systems for persistent online play upon release.”

That’s the single most ridiculous thing I have ever read about this issue. People listen: “persistent online play” does not, and never did, imply that the game will be an MMO. Heck, even CIG themselves proved this point when they released Star Citizen 2.0 in Q4/15 and called it “Persistent Universe”, when in fact, nothing about the game is persistent, other than player stats stored and retrieved from a database. The universe isn’t persistent. It’s an instance. When the instance closes, everything shuts down. I wrote about this extensively in my Star Citizen – Condition Red blog from May 2016.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

1500 posted:

Derek is also wanted by the police in Maine. In my opinion.
Derek was right. In my opinion.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:thunk:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Jester86 is another Dr. Smart's alt. In my opinion.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

That makes sense. The warlord like to be close to its fanbase.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

XxXCaptainNoxXxX posted:

why dont they just shadowban those dudes if they're such a burden? Like they contribute nothing and almost get their sub shut down on a regular basis. Whats he waiting for?

Honestly i think it's because he's a good guy, and has a tendency to be lenient / soft

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wtf is this? Some kind of game or something?! GTFO. We don't want any of that nonsense around these parts.

D_Smart posted:

UPDATE: Shortly after this article went live, some backers were trying to say that “building an MMO” out of Star Citizen, was the $3m stretch goal because it says:

“Citizens with appropriate packages will receive access to the Star Citizen universe with 40 star systems for persistent online play upon release.”

That’s the single most ridiculous thing I have ever read about this issue. People listen: “persistent online play” does not, and never did, imply that the game will be an MMO.

Even setting aside the embarrassing fact that their “persistence” is just some basic account data that doesn't even equal what you get out of the most basic flash-based clicker game, the basic premise of that claim falls flat the instant you look at the actual kickstarter.

First, there's the “is this an MMO? NO!” Q&A bit at the end, which remained throughout the entire campaign even well after they reached the persistence goal. Second, there's the problem with using persistence as a qualifier for MMO:ness. Not even CIG equates or correlates the two since they very proudly announce that they will offer one without the other. As mentioned, clicker games have persistence — some of it may even be online (but most will be local). Every multiplayer game with a ranking and unlocking system has online persistence, so by that standard, CoD4 is an MMO. All battlefields after 2 are MMOs. Diablo 2 was an MMO. Minecraft in an MMO. Neverwinter Nights gently caress it, let's go back to the source: Baldur's Gate 1 was an MMO. Every game ever that has had a client-server setup has been an MMO, no matter what genre or gameplay or number of players supported in a single session. Hell, Hunt the Wumpus that I played on whatever strange DEC machine we had when I grew up (that I have never been able to identify later on) was apparently an MMO according to these knuckleheads because the TTY terminal I played on definitely did not save any data — the central server did — never mind that it just (persistently) tracked wins and deaths and was a single-player game.

How can any kind of game-interested person in 2017 be this utterly mindbogglingly immensely blindingly unaware of what an MMO is?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

You're just salty because he gave you a 1 week probabtion. :argh: more, you :argh: cat

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

Look, Chris Roberts has everything planned out. For instance, here is the official design document for the pipe system.

And just like that they have the whole MMO thing figured out.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

DarkRefreshment posted:

Star Citizen is a game much in the same way a brick is a flotation device

The Chariots hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

That kinda reads like Jester got a refund. He's a filthy leaver.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

trucutru posted:

Look, Chris Roberts has everything planned out. For instance, here is the official design document for the pipe system.

Cooling and CPU's dont require power in this universe? Neat.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Do you think crobberts will call them Jeffries tubes or come up with a unique name , Like lesnick tubes ?

The hilarious part about this whole operation is you just know deep in some dimly lit office is an artist pain stakingly laying down power and heat pipelines on the schematic for some ship jpeg, knowing in his parp of parps it will never ever see commercial release

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

How could I have possibly foreseen that catering to a subset of an already toxic community that's focused on making one person the bogeyman of a project that they're obsessed with could have turned out to be exponentially more toxic?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Experimental Skin posted:

The Chariots hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.

For some odd reason this makes perfect sense in this thread.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Sappo569 posted:

Do you think crobberts will call them Jeffries tubes or come up with a unique name , Like lesnick tubes ?

Makes sense. They connect vital areas, they're hardened, and barely anything can fit through them.

edit: Cattfries tubes http://i.imgur.com/w0j4GAQ.mp4

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 25, 2017

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Game? Where we're going, we won't need a game to play!

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
am I the only one who sees the parallels between Chris Roberts and Jesus Christ?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
In that they're both held up as idols and saviors when the whole thing is bullshit, hand waving, and lies?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
"Disable that ship!"

Can you even do that in SC right now?

I know for reals in ED you can shoot out the powerplant, thrusters and power distributor, to great effect.

Is it possible to shoot out the engines of a Starfarer and disable it? Or do you have to shoot out all the microthruster things (since they're powerful as gently caress) before the ship is fully disabled?

Also, without blowing it up.

Asking for a friend.

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot

trucutru posted:

what the gently caress is this

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot

no_recall posted:

"Disable that ship!"

Can you even do that in SC right now?

I know for reals in ED you can shoot out the powerplant, thrusters and power distributor, to great effect.

Is it possible to shoot out the engines of a Starfarer and disable it? Or do you have to shoot out all the microthruster things (since they're powerful as gently caress) before the ship is fully disabled?

Also, without blowing it up.

Asking for a friend.

no ships just explode. like full shields/health to dead in a few seconds.

dont worry though its just a switch

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It will get fixed in post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

Hobold posted:

In that they're both held up as idols and saviors when the whole thing is bullshit, hand waving, and lies?

I meant that they were both born in a manger, but this works too.