Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I think that honor goes to Azmodan

Stitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I don't think it's that he is really the fattest, but the kick puts him on the opposite side, so it makes blocking enemies really really easy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tender Bender posted:

I should have been drinking WAY more than I was.

you and me both, brother

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

I don't think it's that he is really the fattest, but the kick puts him on the opposite side, so it makes blocking enemies really really easy.

Yeah same with dva booster. Body blocking for dummies

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bodyblocking you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSBawQaP1sc

Reddit source dude

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BrianBoitano posted:

Bodyblocking you say?

from days of yore

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I got bodyblocked by a teammate yesterday. Felt bad.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
Do we know what percentage of players are in each bracket or division or whatever it is called? I placed into Plat 4 and am just curious and it seems like the numbers are all over the place when I google it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gustav posted:

5-stacks in QM are very rarely actually coordinated teams, it's usually just some guy and a bunch of people he picked up in a chatroom for the xp bonus

Yep. I've been playing a bunch with a friend recently and we've come up against 5 stacks several times. I think once they were actually a well coordinated team who utterly annihilated us, but the rest of the times they haven't been any better than five generic pubbies.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Der Shovel posted:

Yep. I've been playing a bunch with a friend recently and we've come up against 5 stacks several times. I think once they were actually a well coordinated team who utterly annihilated us, but the rest of the times they haven't been any better than five generic pubbies.

Having played with plenty of 5-stacks of goons, I can guarantee you that their coordination is worse than 5 randos.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I remember when they first added the group indicators I just thought "oh, guess I've probably been playing against 3+ groups this whole time and could not actually tell"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

from days of yore

the "holy poo poo" makes that :allears:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Chaitai posted:

Do we know what percentage of players are in each bracket or division or whatever it is called? I placed into Plat 4 and am just curious and it seems like the numbers are all over the place when I google it.
This is the season 1 math. They've sinced tweaked it, and haven't been open about what things are now.

Prior to reworks they did say they wanted more people in plat to avoid the whole crapshoot of long queue times vs "you're getting stomped by players we know are better than you, or stomping players we know you're better than, sorry," that a lot of plat players complained about. I also think they expanded master to 3% and carved both the chunks for plat and master growing out of diamond.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
OK guys target Karazhan and take him out before he drops too many heals.

Putch keeps hiding in the bush here PING PING PING PING PING so watch for his hook.

Don't push to far alone or The Kurgan will jump on you. She has some really nasty burst damage.

Look out, DVDA is using self destruct!!

Ugh just kill Ling Ling first or we lose the fight

Don't worry about their Karl he can't land sun strikes to save his life

Arthur please put the hat on our tank during teamfights

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so with my 1k gems for hitting lvl 5 i am probably going to buy anubarak and muradin since i got a cool candy skin for him. not sure who to buy with the 800 from the welcome pack. i like a lot of the more expensive ones like dva, auriel, alarak and falstad but i am also tempted to go for 2 cheaper ones like sonya and malfurion and not have dead gems sitting in my account for ages.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Awesome! posted:

so with my 1k gems for hitting lvl 5 i am probably going to buy anubarak and muradin since i got a cool candy skin for him. not sure who to buy with the 800 from the welcome pack. i like a lot of the more expensive ones like dva, auriel, alarak and falstad but i am also tempted to go for 2 cheaper ones like sonya and malfurion and not have dead gems sitting in my account for ages.

I suggest not buying Dva since new characters generally get nerfed or heavy reworks within a month of release. Everyone else you listed is a great value.
Also NEVER BUY CHARACTERS YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED "try hero" doesn't count, since it gives you no concept of solo pushing or team interaction.
I really like malf, but some people dislike his heals being a heal over time, or find his playstyle boring, but I like that he can fill a bunch of needs in a pinch or can be built for decent wave clear,CC or healing if you wind up stuck by yourself or in a double support game.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Awesome! posted:

UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED MORE DUDES, ONLY BUY DUDES ON SALE. 50% OFF MAKES YOUR GEMS GO A LOT FURTHER.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

thats makes sense. i do have a lot of dudes already.

have either muradin or anubarak been on sale recently? guessing if they have they probably wont be again for awhile.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

LOL the fifth pick instalocking Nova would be the toxic rear end in a top hat in this scenario.

Like I might agree with you if QM didn't exist, a format where that player could play Nova in EVERY GAME

Both people in this scenario are assholes. Slam picking a DPS as the fifth when the team needs a support is assholish, but so is the assumption of "I'm going to pick what I want and the people after me are obligated to fill."

It is not actionable, by Blizzard's rules, to pick any hero. By the written laws of the game, there is no such thing as a troll pick or wrong pick. If you (in the royal sense here) want a support? The absolute only way to be certain you have a support is to pick one yourself. A Nova slam picker won't get very far, I bet. But they're not doing anything against the rules, either.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Mind over Matter posted:

Both people in this scenario are assholes. Slam picking a DPS as the fifth when the team needs a support is assholish, but so is the assumption of "I'm going to pick what I want and the people after me are obligated to fill."

It is not actionable, by Blizzard's rules, to pick any hero. By the written laws of the game, there is no such thing as a troll pick or wrong pick. If you (in the royal sense here) want a support? The absolute only way to be certain you have a support is to pick one yourself. A Nova slam picker won't get very far, I bet. But they're not doing anything against the rules, either.

oh word?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Going to be honest, my thing had not refreshed and showed that an entire new page of discussion had happened. I'll stand by the tangent, though.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
No one was arguing that it's against the rules. They were arguing that it's a dick move. Because it is. You're loving over your team so you can play your special snowflake hero instead of sucking up the occasional last pick, which won't even always be a role you don't want anyway

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That's part of why I don't play draft modes - every time I've tried to play a warrior, it's gone horribly, so I avoid scenarios where I might end up as one. :v:

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Generally if you upfront say "hey guys I am bad at <x> role, people will listen and work around that. The situation we're discussing is not that

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

No one was arguing that it's against the rules. They were arguing that it's a dick move. Because it is. You're loving over your team so you can play your special snowflake hero instead of sucking up the occasional last pick, which won't even always be a role you don't want anyway

Sure is a dick move. So is forcing/assuming a role on someone else. I wasn't saying you or anyone was saying it was against the rules, to clarify. Just expanding on my statement.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Mind over Matter posted:

Sure is a dick move. So is forcing/assuming a role on someone else.

yep. But unfortunately, last pick bears that heavy responsibility on a very rare occasion to rise above. The comp can always be corrected by last pick

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Generally if you upfront say "hey guys I am bad at <x> role, people will listen and work around that. The situation we're discussing is not that

Yeah, but the situations where it doesn't are awful. Kinda like my first HL game. :v:

I'm a very, very bad Diablo.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Yep. The ideal is absolutely that. But if that person doesn't rise above and the other players have been giving ample warning through whichever line of logic has occurred that they might not? It's somewhat their fault for ignoring evidence.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I regret posting a whine in this thread and starting this whole thing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Toshimo posted:

Having played with plenty of 5-stacks of goons, I can guarantee you that their coordination is worse than 5 randos.

I play frequently with goons and I've honestly seen pretty decent coordination with minimal griping, and I win most of my games with these goons. I don't mind skill level disparities and generally will try to explain what they should be watching for and be ready to react to. It's all around a pretty positive experience.

Minrad and I played with you once, though, and you spent the entire match whining that we weren't doing exactly what you thought needed to be done, right away!

Perhaps the problem is ... hmm, I don't know, :iiam:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

beejay posted:

I regret posting a whine in this thread and starting this whole thing.

Sorry, I apologize for bringing it back up in turn. I've just had this topic on the mind today so I latched onto it maybe a little too hard. I won't carry it further.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mind over Matter posted:

Sure is a dick move. So is forcing/assuming a role on someone else. I wasn't saying you or anyone was saying it was against the rules, to clarify. Just expanding on my statement.
Well, I can't play both the healer AND the tank. I mostly avoid HL because of that. Since even up front I'll be begging folks to just pick one or the other and I'll fill the other role. 8 times out of 10 someone will grudgingly pick a bruiser or DPS focused support/go that build.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I play frequently with goons and I've honestly seen pretty decent coordination with minimal griping, and I win most of my games with these goons. I don't mind skill level disparities and generally will try to explain what they should be watching for and be ready to react to. It's all around a pretty positive experience.

Minrad and I played with you once, though, and you spent the entire match whining that we weren't doing exactly what you thought needed to be done, right away!

Perhaps the problem is ... hmm, I don't know, :iiam:

Goon groups kinda vary, like most people aren't too big of assholes, but I've even gotten a bit frustrated when we're not all on the same page in terms of goals and expectations. That frustrates me more than skill disparity.
Like it's okay to just wanna fart around, it's also okay to be srs bznss, but don't insist we get in voice comm and then not actually use it to play the game -or aggressively recruit any and all takers from the goon channel, then chew them out endlessly if they're not good or just learning.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Coolness Averted posted:

Goon groups kinda vary, like most people aren't too big of assholes, but I've even gotten a bit frustrated when we're not all on the same page in terms of goals and expectations. That frustrates me more than skill disparity.
Like it's okay to just wanna fart around, it's also okay to be srs bznss, but don't insist we get in voice comm and then not actually use it to play the game -or aggressively recruit any and all takers from the goon channel, then chew them out endlessly if they're not good or just learning.

This is my biggest problem with goonstacks or just pugged premades in general. I understand that everyone has their own skill level, abilities, and decision-making. But if I'm in a five stack and two of us want to tryhard, two of us want to joke around and cap a bunch of mercs or whatever, and one person just wants to see how many Seasoned Marksman stacks they can accumulate before the match ends? That lack of consistent tone and goal gets frustrating.

It's not a goon-only thing by any means, of course. But it's one reason I don't just accept blind invites to a group a lot of the time.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I wish tyrande would get a good ult.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

My experience has been that when you say that, the guy who has played literally 4k games almost entirely as assassins, mostly as Nova, will tell you that you shouldn't play HL if you aren't excellent at every class. He will also refuse to play anything but a stealth assassin, and end the game with a dozen deaths.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Relin posted:

I wish tyrande would get a good ult.

Good news it's called shadowstalk

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
lol if you guys haven't figured out to not play games with Toshimo yet

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Good news it's called shadowstalk

Opening up on a loser with a stun and mark is awesome.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rufio posted:

lol if you guys haven't figured out to not play games with Toshimo yet

The best advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Boy haunted mine sure sucks rear end as Dehaka