Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Heran Bago posted:

People have been asking for my old Genesis / Mega Drive overclock kits lately. If there's enough interest I can see what parts would cost and do a SA mart thread. I'd like to remake my old guide a little more professionally anyway. Anyone need to lose rings faster?

I'll try to be patient.

I may be interested. Is it for model 1 or 2? They let time I looked at overclocking one of them (1?) had zero info on how to properly do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

falz posted:

I may be interested. Is it for model 1 or 2? They let time I looked at overclocking one of them (1?) had zero info on how to properly do it.

The kit and guide cover both model 1 and 2, but not model 3. Differences are noted, the most important of which is not forgetting the plastic spacer when reassembling a model 2.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Heran Bago posted:

If you have a monster computer PS2 Rayman 2: Revolution can be emulated with 60 fps and widescreen hacks, higher resolution, and custom shaders.

Yeah but it's the PS2 version.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The worst part of this hobby is when you remember some obscure game that you want to play and then discover that it costs :retrogames: . I've been picking up a bunch of cheap stuff lately, particularly portable games, and I thought "Oh, I've never played the portable Ultima games!" The first one is a slightly more expensive than I'd expect an obscure Gameboy release, the second is stupidly priced. I can get the SNES version of Runes of Virtue 2 cheaper than the Gameboy version...

Edit: Actual question. I've got a copy of Penguin Land for the Master System that isn't working. Since cleaning wasn't helping, I popped it open and found that for some reason it had a battery soldered into it. Anyone know if a dead battery would stop it from starting up? I don't want to order a replacement, resolder it, only to find out that wasn't the problem...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 24, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I actually still wanna try the PS2 version of Rayman 2, just to see the various changes made to the level layouts, English voice-acting (instead of gibberish with French accents) and such. I already have the Dreamcast version - one of my favorites for that console in fact - and I know that's easily the better version, but, y'know, curiosity!

I did pick up the 3DS version at launch, but there's... weirdness with that port. Sometimes the 3D doesn't work like it should, sometimes sounds that should play simply don't, the skybox apparently is a 2D layer a la Doom or a Build Engine game instead of a proper perspective-correct 3D skybox like it was originally, I think they broke the way to get the secret 1000th Lum... strange changes like that kinda make it mediocre, though it's still fairly playable IIRC.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What's the best ("best") SNES flash cart? SD2SNES? (I know there's a list of 50 some odd games that require the special chips like SMRPG, MMX3, etc. it's fine)

Also, any good source for SFC controllers in not terrible shape? I've pulled apart SNES controllers back in high school and it not being that bad, I'm worried about the controller wires that came with my childhood SNES because I might have wrapped them a bit too tight over the last 24-25 years.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

FWIW, the game I got this mixed up with was Skull and Crossbones which also isn't a great game, but I thought the home version might be amusing.

I owned Skull and Crossbones for NES when I was a kid, it was a hand me down from my cousin and I think I only played it maybe twice ever? It wasn't super fun but I was always intrigued by the cover art and the mysterious black cartridge (I had no idea about Tengen and unlicensed games)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Phone posted:

What's the best ("best") SNES flash cart? SD2SNES? (I know there's a list of 50 some odd games that require the special chips like SMRPG, MMX3, etc. it's fine)

Also, any good source for SFC controllers in not terrible shape? I've pulled apart SNES controllers back in high school and it not being that bad, I'm worried about the controller wires that came with my childhood SNES because I might have wrapped them a bit too tight over the last 24-25 years.

The SD2SNES is the best. And probably the best option for SNES controllers anymore is the SFC30 8bitendo Bluetooth controllers with the SNES Bluetooth Receiver. They feel exact and are wireless.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Phone posted:

If you can't read Japanese there are only 4 games that the sd2snes can play that the latest version super everdrive can't. The other advantage of the sd2snes is the ability to add "msu1" audio replacement for cd quality audio in some games. not my cup of tea, I prefer the audio that was already there instead of weird arrangements that are janky when looped.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

GutBomb posted:

If you can't read Japanese there are only 4 games that the sd2snes can play that the latest version super everdrive can't. The other advantage of the sd2snes is the ability to add "msu1" audio replacement for cd quality audio in some games. not my cup of tea, I prefer the audio that was already there instead of weird arrangements that are janky when looped.

The LTTP MSU-1 patch is awesome though. Super Metroid is good. And it's great fun to put original tracks to Rock'n'Roll Racing. Others are hit and miss. Since I don't own any carts anymore the support for more games is essential.

I also like the faster loading times of SD2SNES, nice menu and automatic region patching is a plus (especially if you play on a PAL console, modded or not).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GutBomb posted:

I think the SD2SNES has pretty much instant loading too while the Super Everdrive takes a while depending on the size of the game

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm mostly looking to play a Super Metroid hack and LttP randomizer on real hardware. Everything else is gravy.

Stone Age Gamer a decent vendor?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phone posted:

I'm mostly looking to play a Super Metroid hack and LttP randomizer on real hardware. Everything else is gravy.

Consider a Super Everdrive instead if that's all you want, as it'll be way cheaper.

And yes, SAG is fine.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Phone posted:

Stone Age Gamer is krikzz's official US partner I believe so yeah they're good

falz
Jan 29, 2005

They're just kind of a rip off if you want anything more than just the cart itsself. It's $40 more to get a plastic case with a sticker for example.

Plan your everdrive purchases well in advance to time with November/December where everything is 20% off direct from krikzz.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
A couple weeks ago I was in a thrift store and saw a Mad Catz MC2 steering wheel for multiple systems. I've been wanting to get a wheel for my dreamcast for a while so I picked it up for $7. I bring it home and what I thought was a dreamcast connector was really a gamecube connector. Unfortunately I don't have a gamecube and my quest for a decently priced dreamcast wheel without paying as much as the purchase price for shipping. The wheel I bought also connects to ps1/2 and xbox along with the gamecube. I don't have any of those systems yet, but it did eat at me, wanting to actually use it so my $7 purchase turned in to a $40 xbox, a free copy of splinter cell, and $40 in parts from amazon to upgrade the hard drive and soft-mod it. This hobby is addictive and stupid.

:retrogames:

Pablo Gigante posted:

I think the SD2SNES has pretty much instant loading too while the Super Everdrive takes a while depending on the size of the game

Oh yeah I forgot about that, but it's still not a long time.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Probably really dumb question RE: SD2SNES compatibility but I'm not a programmer or engineer:

Is it possible to have those chips (or a reverse-engineered equivalent) on the cartridge and actually have them work? Or otherwise use a co-processor to emulate the chips' firmwares or something?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Or otherwise use a co-processor to emulate the chips' firmwares or something?

This is theoretically possible but I think a lot still has to be figured out about the chips to accomplish this. I suspect the general issue with including the physical chips is that you probably can't have multiple chips at once in a single cart.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

Probably really dumb question RE: SD2SNES compatibility but I'm not a programmer or engineer:

Is it possible to have those chips (or a reverse-engineered equivalent) on the cartridge and actually have them work? Or otherwise use a co-processor to emulate the chips' firmwares or something?

The SD2SNES has a chip onboard that emulates the firmware and functionality of some of the extra chip cartridges, but it does not emulate all of them. Some may be added in the future, others would need a more powerful onboard processor to be emulated properly,

There is no room on the board to slot in all the missing chips, even if you had donor cartridges to extract them from.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Mak0rz posted:

My understanding it's a full FPGA, so the only thing limiting emulation of the superfx is either power or programming. It's a possibility in the future but I don't think anyone is holding their breathe. As for bolting that chip onto it...maybe? May be you need the whole FPGA working as a single unit or it flips though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

The SD2SNES has a chip onboard that emulates the firmware and functionality of some of the extra chip cartridges, but it does not emulate all of them. Some may be added in the future, others would need a more powerful onboard processor to be emulated properly,

There is no room on the board to slot in all the missing chips, even if you had donor cartridges to extract them from.

Ah I guess that explains the compatibility difference between it and the Everdrive.

Social Dissonance posted:

My understanding it's a full FPGA, so the only thing limiting emulation of the superfx is either power or programming. It's a possibility in the future but I don't think anyone is holding their breathe. As for bolting that chip onto it...maybe? May be you need the whole FPGA working as a single unit or it flips though.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot more chips besides the SFX that aren't available though.

Related question: I noticed the SFX doesn't require firmware dumps to run with Higan/bsnes. Why is that? Is it because it's just provides more horsepower instead of special math functions or whatever, so emulators can just draw that from your computer's CPU?

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I decided to start collecting N64 games and I've found out that the UltraHDMI modded N64 + Everdrive 64 is about as good as it gets towards improving on 240p games. I do love owning random hated games though, having an unboxed Daikatana or Superman 64 should be worth something.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Enjoy waiting months on end and hoping you can get in on an UltraHDMI pre-order. A few were up for grabs back in April but were snatched immediately. If you're willing to monkey with RGB & SCART cables that's also a solid route that has more availability.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just take the svideo and put it into an hdmi scaler and enjoy your everdrive. That's what I'm doing

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

meat police posted:

I decided to start collecting N64 games and I've found out that the UltraHDMI modded N64 + Everdrive 64 is about as good as it gets towards improving on 240p games. I do love owning random hated games though, having an unboxed Daikatana or Superman 64 should be worth something.

There's worse consoles to collect than the N64, but not many. Most of the rare good games on the platform have the Nintendo tax on them. Beyond them, you have a library that's just garbage after garbage. The ports of things to the N64 are inevitably the worst versions of those games. And then there's the disk drive which is the peripheral for crazy people.

But hey, let's pick out a few of the obscure N64 games that are actually worth playing. Not the obvious things, I mean the stuff that only the obsessives know about. Like Treasure's games on the platform: Sin and Punishment, Mischief Makers, and Bangai-o (Mischief Makers isn't as obscure as the other two, but if I'm mentioning Treasure then I have to mention it). Super Mario 64 may not be obscure, but what about Super Mario 64 Rumble Pak Version? And speaking of using weird peripherals to enhance well known games, Tetris 64 uses a heartbeat sensor as you play.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

ProjektorBoy posted:

Enjoy waiting months on end and hoping you can get in on an UltraHDMI pre-order. A few were up for grabs back in April but were snatched immediately. If you're willing to monkey with RGB & SCART cables that's also a solid route that has more availability.

I've already soldered mine together :| (1.06)

I have a framemeister but I'm saving it it for other stuff. What hardware would you guys recommend if I wanted to drunkenly stream this stuff with my friends?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

What does "saving it" mean? Why not hook it up upstream of all of your analog consoles on the output of a switch box?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

There's worse consoles to collect than the N64, but not many. Most of the rare good games on the platform have the Nintendo tax on them. Beyond them, you have a library that's just garbage after garbage. The ports of things to the N64 are inevitably the worst versions of those games. And then there's the disk drive which is the peripheral for crazy people.

But hey, let's pick out a few of the obscure N64 games that are actually worth playing. Not the obvious things, I mean the stuff that only the obsessives know about. Like Treasure's games on the platform: Sin and Punishment, Mischief Makers, and Bangai-o (Mischief Makers isn't as obscure as the other two, but if I'm mentioning Treasure then I have to mention it). Super Mario 64 may not be obscure, but what about Super Mario 64 Rumble Pak Version? And speaking of using weird peripherals to enhance well known games, Tetris 64 uses a heartbeat sensor as you play.

San Francisco rush, and Rush 2 :colbert:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Probably the worst thing about the PS1/N64/Dreamcast generation(and some early PS2 stuff as well) is when you revisit games you liked but now find them nigh unplayable due to how poorly their controls and/or certain gameplay aspects have aged, like Jetforce Gemini was one of my favorite games as a kid, but these days I find it really hard to play because the controls are rear end

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

falz posted:

What does "saving it" mean? Why not hook it up upstream of all of your analog consoles on the output of a switch box?

I can save it for my snes stuff but what would you recommend for me? Framemesier RGB tomfoolery doesn't make a lick of sense atm

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

meat police posted:

I can save it for my snes stuff but what would you recommend for me? Framemesier RGB tomfoolery doesn't make a lick of sense atm

the Framemeister is really simple to hotswap scart cables with, and you can get scart switches if it's a must

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

drrockso20 posted:

Probably the worst thing about the PS1/N64/Dreamcast generation(and some early PS2 stuff as well) is when you revisit games you liked but now find them nigh unplayable due to how poorly their controls and/or certain gameplay aspects have aged, like Jetforce Gemini was one of my favorite games as a kid, but these days I find it really hard to play because the controls are rear end

Good news: JFG was remastered for XB1 as part of the Rare Replay compilation!

Bad news: it still controls poorly, even with the new control scheme!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Rare's video games that aren't PD/GE aren't actually very good and they play like poo poo no matter how you gently caress with the controls

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

Rare's video games that aren't PD/GE aren't actually very good and they play like poo poo no matter how you gently caress with the controls

I don't see how PD/GE is short for Snake, Rattle, and Roll.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

univbee posted:

the Framemeister is really simple to hotswap scart cables with, and you can get scart switches if it's a must

Please don't troll me I've been told not to swap jp and eu cables for a minute

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Social Dissonance posted:

There has been some word about SuperFX and SA-1 on it. The main dev said that he was going to start work on them this summer, again we will see if anything will happen but it is nice that at least work is being planned.

I have the thing I keep meaning to look at the source code on it and see if I can add anything. Just whenever I think about it I have a million other projects I am in the middle of.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Elliotw2 posted:

There are very obvious degrees of quality between most of their games... like, Banjo Kazooie is streets ahead of JFG or fuckin' Grabbed By the Ghoulies or whatever, even if it isn't to your taste.

Also, gently caress all y'all for forgetting Blast Corps exists.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Also, gently caress all y'all for forgetting Blast Corps exists.

I was naming obscure games, not the obvious picks for games everyone should already own.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

I was naming obscure games, not the obvious picks for games everyone should already own.

I was more talking to the "all Rare games sucked!" crowd. What's wrong with "most Rare games sucked"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

good rare games:

RC pro am
Blast corps
Whatever SNES DKC game you remember fondly
???

• Locked thread