Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tae posted:

Could Genny's invokes solo missions on hard? I don't remember them being that powerful that the first Cantor mission, he got destroyed easily without me moving a foot.

They were vital to how I beat many of the maps but I don't think they can really solo any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I suppose if you are very, very patient, because they are quite weak in my opinion.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm curious because they are very specifically 3-shotting/2 rounding enemies. If the Invokes don't scale, this might be one of those very specific changes Hard Mode makes.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Not sure if I want to give my Ridersbane to Clair so she can kill things or a Knight as just a general anti-Calvary unit

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I know they definitely don't scale on hard at all, they just have base soldier stats which really don't hold up post chapter 2 as anything more than a distraction.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The dialogue box telling you Celica learned Ragnarok Ω doesn't have that character and calls it "Ragnarok ?"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

The dialogue box telling you Celica learned Ragnarok Ω doesn't have that character and calls it "Ragnarok ?"

If you're asking where the super version is, it's under Arts

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

If you're asking where the super version is, it's under Arts

No I know that, and it displays correctly in her skill list

I'm saying the popup box that shows up whenever a character learns a new art doesn't have Ω in its font

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

I know they definitely don't scale on hard at all, they just have base soldier stats which really don't hold up post chapter 2 as anything more than a distraction.

They're most useful as a distraction though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

No I know that, and it displays correctly in her skill list

I'm saying the popup box that shows up whenever a character learns a new art doesn't have Ω in its font

another odd thing is that masked man is still called masked man in half his dialogue boxes even after his identity is revealed.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

marshmallow creep posted:

Kliff is a German name and is in fact very good.

Well not so much a person's name in German, the only people with the name I know off are Americans, but it is of course the word German word for cliff, the stone formation, the very thing you should push Kliff off from.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

In a fantastically painful and unfun Cleric-less Alm playthrough, can Silque be recruited by Celica much in the same way as Kliff/Faye can?

FYI the game saves you from attempting this extremely bad idea by not letting Silque/Forsyth/Python be recruitable by Celica. You just get a different conversation, according to reference

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tae posted:

I can't wait for the PoR remake because I just realized that Genny's Invoke is basically resigning to watching a tv show because every. single. invoke. has that slow rear end battle animation in OG gaiden.

Hold L when a battle is starting in order to invert your preference for attack animations. If an animation would normally play, instead it will be skipped; if it would normally be skipped, instead it will play.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Zore posted:

That Kliff is +5.7 over his attack average for that level.

(Starts at 7, Mage base is 8. 11 levels at 30% growth is 3.3)

I'm proud of my son

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

My Kliff is a lvl 7 sage and has 14 attack

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think one of the other things I don't like is that dating sim Emblem isn't a thing. Faye is perfect for you Alm, Celica's nice but Faye is the oooneeee.

Zore posted:

The other exception is if you want to do the post-game without buying the hilarious rip-off DLC.

Because lol at the stats on the enemies there.

(don't do the post-game)

You some kind of poor, boy?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cuntellectual posted:

You some kind of poor, boy?

Im not going to spend another 40 dollars on a game I already regret paying 40 dollars for.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

I think one of the other things I don't like is that dating sim Emblem isn't a thing. Faye is perfect for you Alm, Celica's nice but Faye is the oooneeee.

The way romances are done in this game is much preferable to Fates and Awakening style imo.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The way romances are done in this game is much preferable to Fates and Awakening style imo.

Playing matchmaker is fun tho.

Its also a really cheap and effective way to create emotional investment in fictional characters by giving the player agency in pairing them up, even if it doesn't amount to much. See: the entire Awakening thread and the Fates thread when people aren't bitching about the writing.

Zore fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 25, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

Playing matchmaker is fun tho.

It is but I much prefer relationships that are expressly written as romantic over ones which are potentially but not clearly romantic because you could be doing them after you have already paired the character off with someone else and that'd be weird, so instead a romantic relationship has to begin and immediately lead to marriage all in one S rank conversation which is often only tangentially related to the previous ranks of the support and doesn't really follow through from how the characters interacted previously. And without a 2nd generation or anything it'd lose the cool mechanical fun as well.

Characters having a couple of paired supports like in 7 or 8 is also good but they wouldn't really work with unlimited supports I don't think.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It is but I much prefer relationships that are expressly written as romantic over ones which are potentially but not clearly romantic because you could be doing them after you have already paired the character off with someone else and that'd be weird, so instead a romantic relationship has to begin and immediately lead to marriage all in one S rank conversation which is often only tangentially related to the previous ranks of the support and doesn't really follow through from how the characters interacted previously. And without a 2nd generation or anything it'd lose the cool mechanical fun as well.

Characters having a couple of paired supports like in 7 or 8 is also good but they wouldn't really work with unlimited supports I don't think.

I dunno, there are... 2 supports in Echoes that are between couples that end up forming romantic relationships (and 4 or so with unrequited love). And one of those (Mae and Boey) could be read non-romantically and work in that context I feel. So I dunno. You'd only really be losing out on Clive and Mathilda's support. Which is admittedly really good.

But really Clair/Alm, Clair/Grey, Faye/Alm and even Leon/Valbar are all written basically like Awakening/Fates supports anyways. They're just missing S ranks :v:

Zore fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 25, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

I dunno, there are... 2 supports in Echoes that are between couples that end up forming romantic relationships (and 4 or so with unrequited love). And one of those (Mae and Boey) could be read non-romantically and work in that context I feel. So I dunno. You'd only really be losing out on Clive and Mathilda's support. Which is admittedly really good.

I don't think Mae and Boey's A support really works non-romantically. Or Mae and Celica's B support which is about Mae having a crush on Boey. And admittedly I do think perhaps too many of the characters have arcs or major parts of their character based on love and unrequited love, but I guess in a way it fits some of the themes. Mostly I just think S ranks are often kinda awkward and not super well written or that well thought out. I'd say Gray and Clair have a stronger like romance than most characters from Fates or Awakening because their support is about a romantic relationship. There's characters from Awakening that have stronger interactions or supports but the romance is weak because it only comes up in one conversation for the most part.

Clive and Mathilda is great for a completely unrelated reason though and that's because it's about an established relationship instead of the start of a relationship and that is almost universally more interesting imo.

E:

Zore posted:

But really Clair/Alm, Clair/Grey, Faye/Alm and even Leon/Valbar are all written basically like Awakening/Fates supports anyways. They're just missing S ranks :v:

Not really because half of them are about unrequited love where the unrequited part is kinda important and the other is way more obviously romantic or about a relationship than even Fates or Awakening supports that also deal with characters having a pre-existing crush on the other.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 25, 2017

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Zore posted:

I already regret paying 40 dollars for.

You're right, you should have spent 60.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

You're right, you should have spent 60.

Ah, the Australian price.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ah, the Australian price.

Canadian. We're like Australia, but our deadly animals are big enough to spot from a distance. :toot:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

Canadian. We're like Australia, but our deadly animals are big enough to spot from a distance. :toot:

If you live long enough you get used to spotting tiny dangers as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the complexity of love and how it can be warped, unrequited, or rendered meaningless is this game's entire theme. literally every character in the game up to and including slayde is motivated by love - familial, paternal, platonic, romantic, internal, external. it's the entire reason the whitewings are in this game. being able to play matchmaker would literally destroy the theme that gaiden had this entire time. im not saying it's an especially deep theme or that gaiden or echoes does a lot with it, but i'd rather a game have a theme that it actually sticks to, even if it's underdeveloped, than sacrifice it on the altar of shipping.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

the complexity of love and how it can be warped, unrequited, or rendered meaningless is this game's entire theme. literally every character in the game up to and including slayde is motivated by love - familial, paternal, platonic, romantic. it's the entire reason the whitewings are in this game. being able to play matchmaker would literally destroy the theme that gaiden had this entire time. im not saying it's an especially deep theme or that gaiden or echoes does a lot with it, but i'd rather a game have a theme that it actually sticks to, even if it's underdeveloped, than sacrifice it on the alter of shipping.

I agree, but really Slayde?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the first and last love is self-love - fortune cookie

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

the first and last love is self-love - fortune cookie

I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it does kind of sound like a copout but considering he's the first real boss you fight and then he pops up randomly near the end of the game (in a chapter where he isn't even actually treated as the boss) its pretty clear that he represents A) what a person motivated only by their ego can be like, and B) how far alm, motivated by his love of celica and his country, has come, and how insignificant a threat slayde, someone without love for anyone but themselves, is

berkut and fernand were also great additions in terms of theming for this reason

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

it does kind of sound like a copout but considering he's the first real boss you fight and then he pops up randomly near the end of the game (in a chapter where he isn't even actually treated as the boss) its pretty clear that he represents A) what a person motivated only by their ego can be like, and B) how far alm, motivated by his love of celica and his country, has come, and how insignificant a threat slayde, someone without love for anyone but themselves, is

berkut and fernand were also great additions in terms of theming for this reason

Yeah I get that but it comes off to me less as self-love and more no love at all. Like, here's this loving embarrassment of a human being with no morals or real motivation, who has less stats than bosses from a couple of maps ago. He's just the worst. Though I guess he also sorta represents how Zofia's coddling society leads to corruption, like with Dessaix.

Berkut is great though. A very solid mirror to Alm, and he's also way better than Jedah as like a metaphor for how Duma's philosophy can corrupt much Milla's since you never really see why the Church of Duma is a bunch of assholes, they're just crazy. And he's probably the best example in the game for why the continent would be better off without Gods.

The game sticks to its themes and I enjoy that. It's easy to see some thought was put into making just about every character tie in in some way. Was it like that in the original as well?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, it was - like I said, the whitewings aren't just in this game for a gag about FE1, and for the most part FE2 was the game that codified their weird relationships with Marth and Abel, though there were hints of it in FE1. The main difference was that FE Gaiden didn't have supports or anything, so while Valbar was still motivated by love of his lost family, Leon and Kamui didn't even have lines so they were just his tagalongs for gameplay purposes.

That's why this is such an exceptional remake, it expands and adds in a way that makes sense. The expansions to the old characters and the new characters enhance and emphasize the game's big idea, not distract or muddy them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Love's an easy and common theme, but even so a thematically consistent story and characters are easy to appreciate when reflecting on a game.

Unrelated to that though, I didn't even know Palla had a thing for Abel until this game. I sorta thought it might've been invented with the remake.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

quote:

Palla:
Abel, looks like I can’t go back. I’m sorry.

Her Gaiden death quote.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

she randomly says his name in her death quote in gaiden original, and it's mentioned in her fe3 ending. she also only supports him and minerva in fe3.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think est is the only one that says her future husband's name during attacks.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

This just occured to me but Mercenary Valbar through the Fork could be stupidly good.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

So far I'm really digging the characters and writing. With Shadow Dragon units were lucky to even have recruitment dialogue so I was really antsy about this game, but I really feel like I know the characters this time around.

Granted I'm still early in the game but as long as things stay consistent I think this'll be one of my favorites in the series.

e: also Jesus Christ the animations. The cavalier's default attack being just the horse kicking the poo poo out of the enemy is too good.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

So I decided to make a small trip to the Temple of Mila in Act 3, which... Actually led to Palla, Catria, and Atlas all leaving my party.

Can I get them back? Or are they gone forever? :ohdear:

• Locked thread