Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Caros posted:

Oh no! We've lost one of our 47 seat majority. How ever will we continue to completely fail to govern without it?

Losing the seat doesn't matter except to the narrative. If this was a senate seat, gently caress yeah, go to town, but this is a special election amidst a heavy republican majority in the house. The seat is going to be up again in 2018, which is the only point control of it will actually matter, and all the win now accomplishes is the benefit of incumbency which may or may not matter down the line.

I'm not expecting republicans to act selflessly by changing course on healthcare, The goal was to put the fear of loving god into them by having them lose a seat they shouldn't be losing. The fact that they can rationalize this loss as "That dumb gently caress" means it will weigh less heavily when it comes time to vote on reconciliation.

If you honestly don't believe that public opinion matters, then I assume you also feel the town hall barrage is pointless? Because public opinion and the risk to their seats was the only thing that kept these assholes from going to town on the ACA on day one.

Only the dumbest of idiots are going to look at this race, which was down to a razor thin margin BEFORE this incident, and think 'this was totally, 100% decided by him assaulting a reporter the day before." Quist was running on healthcare issues the whole time, and the assault was because he asked about the CBO score, for fucks sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/867556891114840065

:thunk:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
:thunk: is seriously the only applicable emoji for any of the news from tonight

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Fox News's president of programming asked Hannity to stfu about Seth Rich:

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/867587587258679296

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold

Doctor Butts posted:

Yo this is the same chick that said she was gonna be the new press secretary for the White House.

She's also Gavin Newsom's ex-wife. Talk about twisting the knife.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

empty whippet box posted:

Only the dumbest of idiots are going to look at this race, which was down to a razor thin margin BEFORE this incident, and think 'this was totally, 100% decided by him assaulting a reporter the day before." Quist was running on healthcare issues the whole time, and the assault was because he asked about the CBO score, for fucks sake

Counterpoint: these are people who were considering voting for a Republican in YOOl 2017

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Tatsuta Age posted:

:thunk: is seriously the only applicable emoji for any of the news from 2016 - present

FTFY

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

B B posted:

Fox News's president of programming asked Hannity to stfu about Seth Rich:

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/867587587258679296

Even better is that he is not going to do this at all.

Caros
May 14, 2008

empty whippet box posted:

So, republican house members.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Mahoning posted:

The chaos orb claims its first of many victims.

i LOVE chaos orbs

much prefer finding exalts tho

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jokes and irony literally don't exist, it's always at least partially serious

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Office Pig posted:

Even better is that he is not going to do this at all.

I await Infowars announcing their new staff reporter Sean Hannity.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I like that Hannity covering this horseshit story has become a story itself.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Lightning Lord posted:

Is there any truth to the idea that Murdoch's kids are way more centrist than he is?

They definitely are but it's hard to tell how much less conservative they are because there's no way in hell they'll publicly admit it until their dad dies.
I mean it's hard to be *less centrist* than Rupert loving Murdoch anyway.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

The right's bloodlust isn't sated when their enemies are defeated; it persists until there is no one left to devour, not even themselves.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

TremorX posted:

The right's bloodlust isn't sated when their enemies are defeated; it persists until there is no one left to devour, not even themselves.

One is the FYGMiest number

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

So it is a little past 6 am in Brussels, the orange one should awake soon and bless us with his 140 character long knowledge.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lightning Lord posted:

Is there any truth to the idea that Murdoch's kids are way more centrist than he is?

From what I understand, at least enough for it to be noticeable. One of them bought NatGeo a few years ago, and aside from increasing their licensing in relatively harmless ways (NatGeo branded pet supplies, for one) has left them more-or-less alone and promised not to interfere with their editorial work. Had Rupe bought them, they could've easily been turned into something much worse.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Caros posted:

Oh no! We've lost one of our 47 seat majority. How ever will we continue to completely fail to govern without it?

Losing the seat doesn't matter except to the narrative. If this was a senate seat, gently caress yeah, go to town, but this is a special election amidst a heavy republican majority in the house. The seat is going to be up again in 2018, which is the only point control of it will actually matter, and all the win now accomplishes is the benefit of incumbency which may or may not matter down the line.

I'm not expecting republicans to act selflessly by changing course on healthcare, The goal was to put the fear of loving god into them by having them lose a seat they shouldn't be losing. The fact that they can rationalize this loss as "That dumb gently caress" means it will weigh less heavily when it comes time to vote on reconciliation.

If you honestly don't believe that public opinion matters, then I assume you also feel the town hall barrage is pointless? Because public opinion and the risk to their seats was the only thing that kept these assholes from going to town on the ACA on day one.

If the GOP loses a special election that they should've won simply by remembering to run a candidate they are going to be loving terrified of what 2018 brings. Also, unseating an incumbent Quist in 2018 is going to be even harder, especially if 2018 ends up being a blue tidal wave due to the GOP spending the next 18 months reminding the nation of why everyone should hate them.

Same goes for GA-06. Ossof winning it would be huge even if holding it in 2018 will be hard (and holding it in non-Dem wave elections will be nearly impossible) because it is going to be like a knife to the gut of the GOP.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Gianforte is still a 60/40 favorite per PredictIt

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/JohnDingell/status/867581268699082754

This man needs to still be in Congress

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Tatsuta Age posted:

:thunk: is seriously the only applicable emoji for any of the news from tonight

I see I have some catching up to do.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

DC Murderverse posted:

if I'm a journalist in DC after a Gianforte win I'm making extra sure I talk a little louder and get the recorder a little closer to his face when I'm interviewing him.

also wear a pair of these for every interview

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Elotana posted:

He'll serve his first few weeks/months from a Montana jail cell.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Not for the fact the he recently turned 90, I would vote for him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Discussion Quorum posted:

also wear a pair of these for every interview

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Caros posted:

In a way, isn't every victory a loss?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Buca di Bepis posted:

In a way, isn't every victory a loss?

New thread title please mods

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

axeil posted:

It just seems odd to me that a state with one at-large district has a completely different dynamic from its Senate races.

Montana is probably the weirdest state in the Union electorally.

It really isn't there's a lot of place that used to be like Montana.

Look at Arkansas. Traditionally Democrats do very well there. Clinton, Dale Bumpers, James Fullbright.

The Democrat hosed themselves over in Arkansas by not knowing how to market themselves or represent their voters

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
If there was video it would have come out by now.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tatsuta Age posted:

New thread title please mods

Yes. Also to the person you guys are quoting gently caress off with this nothing matters bullshit.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/JohnDingell/status/867588252479488001

just lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Elotana posted:

Clinton was 80-20 in Pennsylvania up until she lost.

What the gently caress is he even talking about? What does terrorism have to do with food stamps?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

What the gently caress is he even talking about? What does terrorism have to do with food stamps?

Nothing, that's why he's talking about terrorism and not Mulvaney's Trump's psychotic murder budget.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What does "clash of culture" mean? Either the definition the shitheads advance or the non-dogwhistle version. I thought they were more afraid of Sharia Law's forceful imposition or whatever?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Terrorists often come from the lower rungs of society, so by denying the poor food stamps you are killing future generations of terrorists.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

If the GOP loses a special election that they should've won simply by remembering to run a candidate they are going to be loving terrified of what 2018 brings. Also, unseating an incumbent Quist in 2018 is going to be even harder, especially if 2018 ends up being a blue tidal wave due to the GOP spending the next 18 months reminding the nation of why everyone should hate them.

Same goes for GA-06. Ossof winning it would be huge even if holding it in 2018 will be hard (and holding it in non-Dem wave elections will be nearly impossible) because it is going to be like a knife to the gut of the GOP.

I agree! I prefaced all of this by saying it was good that he won, but lovely that the GOP has a flimsy excuse to sell to their members that he actually lost because he chokeslammed a reporter the night before the election. My whole point is I want them terrified and that they hopefully get scared enough not to kick 23 million people off healthcare before the dem wave kicks them out.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yes. Also to the person you guys are quoting gently caress off with this nothing matters bullshit.

There is a difference between 'nothing matters' and 'I wish we'd kicked his teeth in over policy issues rather than this specific candidate being a douchebag'. The former will scare republicans, the latter will make them laugh, albeit nervously.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Zil posted:

Terrorists often come from the lower rungs of society, so by denying the poor food stamps you are killing future generations of terrorists.

Bing bong so simple

I just looked up John Dingell and he's my new favorite maple grandpa

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

It really isn't there's a lot of place that used to be like Montana.

Look at Arkansas. Traditionally Democrats do very well there. Clinton, Dale Bumpers, James Fullbright.

The Democrat hosed themselves over in Arkansas by not knowing how to market themselves or represent their voters

Arkansas is a southern state (since people insist on that terminology, of course Arkansas is also an Eastern state), and it fought for the confederacy and had a history of plantation agriculture, social stratification, and religious conformity. As well as never having industrial centers.

Montana's early founding was on independent agriculture by mostly self-sufficient farmers, it was never disloyal to the United States, racial animus wasn't a factor, because farmers were independent, they weren't as tied up with social hierarchy as people in a plantation state were. Religion and belonging to a community are not as important as they are in Eastern Southern states like Arkansas. Montana had a lot of industrial development early on. Montana and Arkansas don't have much in common.

Montana isn't very important, it isn't perfect, and there is a good chance the residents of Montana will betray their history by voting in a fascist baby with a short temper tomorrow. But even if that happens, don't treat Montana like it is just part of West Virginia or something. West Virginia is a creature of the East Coast, and yes, parts of West Virginia are (according to the US government) just suburbs of Washington, D.C. Talking about Montana because you've been to suburban Pennsylvania is like if you tried to describe an ostrich after you found a dead pigeon on your doorstep.

My neighbor in Montana, who fought successfully to keep Walmart out of our town, had an emu ranch, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What does "clash of culture" mean? Either the definition the shitheads advance or the non-dogwhistle version. I thought they were more afraid of Sharia Law's forceful imposition or whatever?

White supremacy. "Clash of culture" almost always means white supremacy.

• Locked thread