Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Let's also remember the true answer is that hyperdrive moves at the speed of Plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm on mobile and can't look; when a weapon's range is listed as Long, that means it can shoot from long range without penalty? Or can you just not fire past that range?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm on mobile and can't look; when a weapon's range is listed as Long, that means it can shoot from long range without penalty? Or can you just not fire past that range?

Weapon listed range is the max it can fire, period. Attack difficulty is based on range listed in the table in the combat chapter (forget if it's 3 or 4 purples).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That's what I thought. Long is four purple, medium/short is two, one for close, I believe.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Engaged = 1 (plus extra penalty for using ranged weapon in melee: +1 for light, +2 for heavy)
Short = 1
Medium = 2
Long = 3
Extreme = 4

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That sounds better. I knew two of them shared a difficulty.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
Hey fellows, I noticed the conversation died out a little so it's a perfect time for me to jump in with a question without derailing anything!

Does anyone use music in their games? I'm trying to make my game a more cinematic experience but I've noticed that a lot of the obvious choices (John Williams) are a little too varied to just put on loop while my players are mowing down Storm Troopas. I'm mainly thinking about music to use for action scenes or downtime (either at a cantina (I'm not putting that one song on loop for a 45 minute scene where my players are talking to some shady twi'lek) or cruising in their ship).

I'm mostly looking for stuff on Spotify or Youtube. I know Youtube has some neat "ambient" videos that are just the background noise from Knights of the Old Republic or similar games, and I've found Disparition and Hybrid as pretty good bands for background music, but not as much on the action front.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I look for the hour-hour and a half videos on YouTube of the genre you want on. Usually it's an OK to good collection of sonic wallpaper to leave on in the background. OneHourStation has a decent selection of stuff, and the related videos links should have some other good things. (sorry for the lack of examples, I'm phone posting.)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I like atmospheric soundscapes, like busy space city streets or humming space engines, howling ice planet winds. Lots of stuff like that on youtube.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 21, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

FuriousAngle posted:

Hey fellows, I noticed the conversation died out a little so it's a perfect time for me to jump in with a question without derailing anything!

Does anyone use music in their games? I'm trying to make my game a more cinematic experience but I've noticed that a lot of the obvious choices (John Williams) are a little too varied to just put on loop while my players are mowing down Storm Troopas. I'm mainly thinking about music to use for action scenes or downtime (either at a cantina (I'm not putting that one song on loop for a 45 minute scene where my players are talking to some shady twi'lek) or cruising in their ship).

I'm mostly looking for stuff on Spotify or Youtube. I know Youtube has some neat "ambient" videos that are just the background noise from Knights of the Old Republic or similar games, and I've found Disparition and Hybrid as pretty good bands for background music, but not as much on the action front.

When I'm really putting forth the effort, I'll put in some Star Wars stuff from Soundcloud. There's a good amount from the games (I prefer KOTOR stuff) that fits well as ambiance.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I like atmospheric soundscapes, like vusu spave city streets or humming space engines, howling ice planet winds. Lots of stuff like that on youtube.

Or surf rock.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

8one6 posted:

I look for the hour-hour and a half videos on YouTube of the genre you want on. Usually it's an OK to good collection of sonic wallpaper to leave on in the background. OneHourStation has a decent selection of stuff, and the related videos links should have some other good things. (sorry for the lack of examples, I'm phone posting.)

This is a great station! I'm bookmarking it for definite use! Thanks!

Drone posted:

When I'm really putting forth the effort, I'll put in some Star Wars stuff from Soundcloud. There's a good amount from the games (I prefer KOTOR stuff) that fits well as ambiance.

I'll have to check out Soundcloud. I usually use it to stream podcasts, so I hadn't thought to try them for music!

Devlan Mud posted:

Or surf rock.

Oh yeah, I forgot I have a ton of Man or Astroman? on my Edge of the Empire playlists. Just need to find more great stuff like that :)

Thanks to everyone who's responded and given me good ideas. I certainly welcome any additional suggestions!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

FuriousAngle posted:

I'll have to check out Soundcloud. I usually use it to stream podcasts, so I hadn't thought to try them for music!

The only reason I use them is because I play pretty much exclusively via Roll20, which has Soundcloud API integration.

Edit: and there's no better cantina ambiance music than https://soundcloud.com/stanislav-matvieiev/jeremy-soule-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-soundtrack-pazaak

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I'm going to be putting it to use for the first time this weekend, but I took a few days and scoured the movie soundtracks for recurring themes, then clipped out a few variations to play at various points during the game.

For example, I have some versions of the Force theme to play any time someone uses a Destiny point, and a player attempting to flirt with an NPC might hear Han & Leia's theme (if they're successful - threat triggers Jar Jar's theme).

It might end up being too labor intensive to be worthwhile, but the music in the movies is so context and theme heavy thay I thought it would be interesting to try going in that direction rather than just having looping ambience.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
I have several different playlists on Spotify that I will play through my PS4 or portable speaker based on where the party is. Also because I can't help myself I have different tracks for combat based on what kind of fight it is.

If you are looking for music I definitely recommend reaching into the Force Awakens and Rogue One soundtracks as they both have that Star Wars "sound" without the familiar leitmotifs that players like to instantly point out.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

All excellent suggestions!

Would anyone be interested in doing collaborative playlists on Spotify? If for no other reason than to share my playlists of generic-sounding background music that I've already put together.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Hey, I have two questions/scenarios.

Scenario A: a PC wants a custom blaster pistol, but has no technical skills, so he commissions it from an appropriate NPC. He gathers the NPC's asking price for the item, as well as the materials needed. The NPC attempts the required check(s), but fails.

I looked through Special Modifications and might have missed it, but are there any rules for getting an NPC to craft an item for you, w/r/t how a PC should pay for that item if the crafting checks fail? I know the book includes pay rates and prices for specific things, but that's not really what I'm looking for. What can/should the PC do in that situation? Is it reasonable for the PC to ask for his money back (say, minus material costs)? Do you just lose everything? Is this something you should just take on a case-by-case basis, and use the social skills to deal with it?

Scenario B: you're starting a game at Knight Level and want to start with crafted equipment. Are there any decent house-rules regarding how to determine the roll results of your crafted gear (like getting a triumph or some advantages on the roll to add qualities)?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Not Keyser Soze posted:

I definitely recommend reaching into the Force Awakens and Rogue One soundtracks as they both have that Star Wars "sound" without the familiar leitmotifs that players like to instantly point out.

EA's Battlefront is also good for this, since it was composed to sound like generic John Williams B--sides.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

Crumbletron posted:

Hey, I have two questions/scenarios.

Scenario A: a PC wants a custom blaster pistol, but has no technical skills, so he commissions it from an appropriate NPC. He gathers the NPC's asking price for the item, as well as the materials needed. The NPC attempts the required check(s), but fails.

I looked through Special Modifications and might have missed it, but are there any rules for getting an NPC to craft an item for you, w/r/t how a PC should pay for that item if the crafting checks fail? I know the book includes pay rates and prices for specific things, but that's not really what I'm looking for. What can/should the PC do in that situation? Is it reasonable for the PC to ask for his money back (say, minus material costs)? Do you just lose everything? Is this something you should just take on a case-by-case basis, and use the social skills to deal with it?

Scenario B: you're starting a game at Knight Level and want to start with crafted equipment. Are there any decent house-rules regarding how to determine the roll results of your crafted gear (like getting a triumph or some advantages on the roll to add qualities)?

A: Unless your plot hook is "There's something fishy about that Custom Widget vendor..." a paid NPC craftsman should never fail a crafting roll. You can probably handle the situation by saying that the paid vendor, doing this as their business, is going to take the time and care to NOT screw up and waste a bunch of bespoke parts. As such the work will take time, as opposed to just shoving a merchant a wad of credits in exchange for a blaster pistol, and you might even have a tiered system where the PC can basically "buy" a better roll on the part of the craftsman, with each advantage or success increasing the cost of the item.

B: I have a knight level F&D game with an Armorer player. This is how we handled it but I'm sure this won't work for everyone so YMMV: I had my player make up to one crafting roll for every 50xp of the 150xp bonus, but he would have to spend 50xp, then roll, before spending more xp. This process represented his Apprentice, Journeyman and Master crafting projects.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The species in the Consular sourcebook have been announced. Arkanian, Cosian, Pau'an.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The most important part of this book is the remember the old lady Cosian from the Clone Wars carrying around a heavy weapon.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

FuriousAngle posted:

Check out the SWTOR soundtrack and generally Start Wars game soundtracks on general, particularly Dark Forces/Jedi Knight. Lot of non-Williams stuff that still sounds great and Star Wars-y.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Jedi Knight series just used chopped up sections of the OT soundtracks, but Shadows of the Empire had an album done by Joel McNeely that's got some good stuff in it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dark Forces had an original soundtrack done by Clint Bajakian.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ah yeah, that's true - looking it up, the MIDI sounds a lot more passable than I remember the music in that game being.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Not Keyser Soze posted:

A: Unless your plot hook is "There's something fishy about that Custom Widget vendor..." a paid NPC craftsman should never fail a crafting roll. You can probably handle the situation by saying that the paid vendor, doing this as their business, is going to take the time and care to NOT screw up and waste a bunch of bespoke parts. As such the work will take time, as opposed to just shoving a merchant a wad of credits in exchange for a blaster pistol, and you might even have a tiered system where the PC can basically "buy" a better roll on the part of the craftsman, with each advantage or success increasing the cost of the item.

B: I have a knight level F&D game with an Armorer player. This is how we handled it but I'm sure this won't work for everyone so YMMV: I had my player make up to one crafting roll for every 50xp of the 150xp bonus, but he would have to spend 50xp, then roll, before spending more xp. This process represented his Apprentice, Journeyman and Master crafting projects.

Thanks for the great answer. Good to know about crafter vendors not failing. Since we have no crafters we went with a generic "triumph and 2 advantages" for crafted stuff. We're only going to be playing these guys for 3 game so that sounded fair.

I might definitely use the 50xp/craft attempt thing if I ever run a Knight Level game again, but right now we've got GM duties booked well into the summer so that'll be a while :)

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Crumbletron posted:

Thanks for the great answer. Good to know about crafter vendors not failing. Since we have no crafters we went with a generic "triumph and 2 advantages" for crafted stuff. We're only going to be playing these guys for 3 game so that sounded fair.

I might definitely use the 50xp/craft attempt thing if I ever run a Knight Level game again, but right now we've got GM duties booked well into the summer so that'll be a while :)

For NPC crafters I like to use a streetwise/negotiate/other appropriate style check. Regardless of the result you get the item crafted but various different good/bad things get added in as a result. Had one be hired by an imperial agent to put a tracking device in their custom blaster to find where their hideout was etc. It means they get the item and upgrade no matter what but there is still an obvious advantage to one of the players doing it.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Hoping to pick the collective GM brain of the thread for some ideas of how to execute the next steps of the campaign.

Party wise I've got a -
Sullustan Driver with a background focused on the tragic death of his father (in what was almost certainly a Imperial/Sorosuub sponsored suppression of subversives), and an ill sister he's keeping in medicine.
Human Tech with fledgling force powers and a former Imperial Agent blackmailing him to keep his family in the dark about his disgrace
Chiss Commander, former Imperial Intelligence, who tried to take down a rival, but got preempted by same rival, and got dishonourbly discharged. Rival is still around, and they bumped into him recently.
Human Heavy former TIE Pilot, with bounties on his head and a stolen TIE Bomber and a reckless streak.

My setting is they're part of a Mercenary organisation in the months pre Yavin, operating from the converted Corvette Carrier (from the Farstar campaign), with a big cast of supporting NPCs (Ship's Captain, pilots, quartermaster, other soldiers etc) they've been able to call on. They've mostly been working on anti pirate operations, and have bumped into the Empire and Rebellion once or twice, but aren't solid in either camp.

So I've been working up to a big change, where I want the Empire to come in (in the form of a Moff/Admiral and his Star Destroyer), kill or capture the Captain, leave the whole ship in ruins, and they kind of have to work their way back up, except now they are in charge, rather than the Captain they all have a Duty towards. What they don't know, is that the Captain is a former Jedi, who left before the Clone Wars and mostly avoided the Purge, and has been keeping it entirely secret. I've also got it vaguely planned that his wife was captured around the time of the purge and rather than being dead as he thinks, was turned by the Sith into a horrifying Force Bezerker (like a scarier less talkative Vader) that's kept on a leash by the Admiral/Moff type. I think the Captain might also have hid his daughter somewhere, who might be the 'Princess' type that the party saved in the early sessions (a Zeltron working for an Anti Slavery faction of the early Rebellion). He's a human, and his wife would be a Zeltron, so the daughter is passing for Zeltron, and is the (unknowingly adopted) 'daughter' of an Imperial Moff, but running around with rebels.

Either the Captain dies, so he can leave spooky Obi-Wan style ghost voicemails/training for the fledgling Jedi in the party, the party has a tragic goodbye with him where he helps them get away. Failing that, he gets captured, and taken to a prison in the deep core and the party want to rescue him (with maybe a holocron for the party miniJedi). I figure the little Imperial flotilla attacking them can be recalled at the ideal point due to the Battle of Yavin happening. The revenge or rescue then follows from the rebuilding of the organisation under new ownership, maybe getting tied into joining with or working with the Rebels. I'd also like there to be some kind of super weapon involved, but haven't teased anything yet (just to tick the Star Wars trifecta of secret families, spaceships, super weapons). Maybe the prison is a super weapon? Depending how the scene goes down there will be some sort of Vader style 'mind reading' with the existence/location of the Daughter, and eventually down the line the players might unmask the Bezerker and see her face and realise who she is, but that's all down the way, and i'd keep it vague until the reveal ("Where is she?" "Where did you put it?" etc.), voice changer mask, genderless black robes. I figure she isn't a Darth, but she's similiar to Jerec in terms of imperial position (Lady SomethingEvilSounding? or The Something).

As far as the sessions I think the players are going to be hired by the Imperials to lure out some Pirates they've got history with, all is going well, and then I figure the Bezerker encounters the Captain and in the realisation of who he is she attacks him with a lightsaber, which triggers all the other Imperials. The PCs then have to fight the way to the bridge of their ship, rescuing/abandoning all their favourite crew NPCs in a few scenes on the way.

I'll make sure the background bad guys will be involved wherever possible, I'd even like to do a heel face turn with the Chiss' rival, as it turns out he was working for the rebellion all along.

Anyone help me figure out a good super weapon to fit into this clusterfuck? Any other pointers on ways to keep it flexible? Or how to work out the longer term stuff with the Princess (especially if the Captain is dead rather than captured)? Name for the baddie jedi?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dunno but you're banking really heavily on your players giving a poo poo about this Captain guy and his family drama instead of saying, "oh well, he's gone. Let's do our own poo poo," as soon as they're given an opportunity. It could blow up in your face if you plan that far ahead.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Just as an info, Jerec and his ilk were Inquisitors, ie jedi hunters.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Dunno but you're banking really heavily on your players giving a poo poo about this Captain guy and his family drama instead of saying, "oh well, he's gone. Let's do our own poo poo," as soon as they're given an opportunity. It could blow up in your face if you plan that far ahead.

Yeah I recognise that they might just bail on the hook, but I want to be able to drop all the pieces in place, and if they just go off, repair the ship and blast off they can, but hopefully the connections with their own personal bad guys, the snooty Imperial Admiral, and the hook of the Captain (who they are all close with) and whatever I end up doing with the superweapon will be enough to entice them. Especially given the chance to hijack an ISD

Iceclaw posted:

Just as an info, Jerec and his ilk were Inquisitors, ie jedi hunters.

Yeah I just meant in the Dark Jedi, standing on the bridge of Star Destroyers, working for the Empire, not being called 'Darth' sense.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Hey, so I was bored at work the other day and thought of doing a short campaign of Edge of the Empire. I don't have anything yet, but it looks like I should purchase the Edge of the Empire core book and (one, two? sets of) dice.
I got excited when I saw the Nal Hutta splash book, but they're sold-out. I've done work for FFG before so I know that I probably won't have luck getting a copy of Lords of Nal Hutta within the next six months, if ever.

I'm not looking to run a pre-gen thing, so am I good to scoop up the Edge core rules and a set of dice, then try and find Lords on ebay or something? Anything else I might be missing?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

You'll probably want 2 sets of dice. I recommend picking up at least one beginner box for one set of them if you can get it at a reasonable price, since the little chits and maps are still cool to have. The TFA one even has a cool galaxy map on the reverse of the adventure maps, and you can always keep the scenarios to run as a one shot.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Chakan posted:

Hey, so I was bored at work the other day and thought of doing a short campaign of Edge of the Empire. I don't have anything yet, but it looks like I should purchase the Edge of the Empire core book and (one, two? sets of) dice.
I got excited when I saw the Nal Hutta splash book, but they're sold-out. I've done work for FFG before so I know that I probably won't have luck getting a copy of Lords of Nal Hutta within the next six months, if ever.

I'm not looking to run a pre-gen thing, so am I good to scoop up the Edge core rules and a set of dice, then try and find Lords on ebay or something? Anything else I might be missing?

Yeah that can work though if you're not sure and not run anything like this before I'd say just scoop up a Beginner box set. It does a genuinely good job and getting everyone into the mindset they need and the type of game they're going to be running.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So even though i haven't gotten to play this game in any kind of capcacity since everybody in the group got jobs and schedules are now conflicting, i still find myself wanting to buy a few of the new books i've missed since i've been gone. Oh well i guess i'll just go look on Amaz-oh my god those prices are jacked up :psyduck: and lol at the idea of trying to actually buy these things off of Fantasy Flight's hard to navigate website.

I managed to get the Jedi Guardian sourcebook, although i really wanted the engineer and solider books from AoR :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So even though i haven't gotten to play this game in any kind of capcacity since everybody in the group got jobs and schedules are now conflicting, i still find myself wanting to buy a few of the new books i've missed since i've been gone. Oh well i guess i'll just go look on Amaz-oh my god those prices are jacked up :psyduck: and lol at the idea of trying to actually buy these things off of Fantasy Flight's hard to navigate website.

I managed to get the Jedi Guardian sourcebook, although i really wanted the engineer and solider books from AoR :(

Do you have a local game store? They should be able to order stuff in straight from their distributors

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

i do indeed! They normally don't carry that much Star Wars Roleplaying stuff so i didn't even really consider them!

Although in the case of the soldier book FF's website is currently showing it as out of stock (as is a bunch of other ones i was looking at :sigh:) so i don't know how likely i am to get one

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

i do indeed! They normally don't carry that much Star Wars Roleplaying stuff so i didn't even really consider them!

Although in the case of the soldier book FF's website is currently showing it as out of stock (as is a bunch of other ones i was looking at :sigh:) so i don't know how likely i am to get one

It's worth asking at the store; Out of Stock on FFG's website doesn't necessarily mean that all the various local distributors are out too. Just means FFG doesn't have any to send you directly.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

So I ran into something interesting tonight. I rolled both a Triumph and a Despair on an attack roll.

My understanding is that neither Triumph nor Despair can be cancelled. Unless I'm misunderstanding it completely this raises interesting questions. So here are a few:

If a character makes an attack roll and receives three successes, one triumph, and one despair, does this mean:
1) The attack succeeds because it has more net successes?
2) With how many successes? 3 or 4?
3) Does the character both suffer a despair and enjoy a triumph? Like they crit but also run out of ammo?

What if the attack roll had just one triumph and one despair? Would the attack succeed, enjoying only a single success while critting and running out of ammo?

I appreciate any help on this matter. The dice system is fantastic because it gives so many options, but in some cases its open-ended nature makes it difficult for me to fully grasp without asking for help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Triumph counts as a success but a despair does not count as a failure. They do give separate effects, so you could crit and run out of ammo.