Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Classtoise posted:

I'll be totally honest, I have no idea what literally anything you are harping about has to do with either American Politics OR Donald Trump.

it's mindbogglingly stupid so it counts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that's when it got the most "heated" when Wolf was actually saying "No, Obama didn't give Flynn the clearance he needed to be part of the Trump Administration. That was the Trump Administration." and Chaffetz just started yelling "I've been in classified briefings so I know more than you!" Wolf showed enough spine to make Chaffetz freak out a little.

That exchange was kind of funny because it showed how quickly Republicans can be angered. When Chaffetz started screaming "SHOW ME THE DOCUMENTS!", that sly smile on Wolf's face was priceless.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Craig K posted:

like, he's wholly correct that arkansas needs to be destroyed with extreme prejudice so its stupidity doesn't spread but he's coming off as peggy hill-esque in his insane montana fetish

He will probably take offense that you didn't label him peggy mountain-esque instead.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SirPablo posted:

I like this geography (from the National Weather Service).

Like if you want to break it down any particular way this is good

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/867607186507169792

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

FizFashizzle posted:

More like Our Kansas.

More like r/Kansas

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not election day or even special election day.

This is singin' cowboy day, So lets kick it off with the campaign song for Rob Quist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SukJIPsLpPw

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Classtoise posted:

I'll be totally honest, I have no idea what literally anything you are harping about has to do with either American Politics OR Donald Trump.

he's drunk and or a :fishmech: level sperg who can't let an argument go despite universal opposition to his idiocy

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

DC Murderverse posted:

gently caress that sheriff for just charging him with a misdemeanor, if we teach rich people and politicians that they can assault journalists and get off just having to pay $500, we're gonna see a lot more journalists getting hit.

and double gently caress his campaign's bullshit statement. I'd really love for the police to release the statement he/his lawyer made to them, because I bet his story changed remarkably between the two statements.
Unfortunately based on the Montana statue it looks like aggravated assault requires the person to cause "serious bodily injury" which I guess this doesn't qualify as. At least people are pulling their endorsements. Hopefully it's not too late to absolutely destroy his chance of getting elected.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That was a drat good read. What are the odds he resigns in the morning?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Arrgytehpirate posted:

That was a drat good read. What are the odds he resigns in the morning?
:laffo:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The charge could get upgraded if the reporter has a hairline fracture of his elbow. He's getting XRays.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
This was posted earlier but I love how the RNC had to basically hire a bunch of workers to ask people if they wanted to hear a pre-recorded message from President Trump regarding Gianforte.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/867413387092930560

They can't be automated robocalls because it's illegal according to Montana law:

http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/45/8/45-8-216.htm

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The Rockies are beautiful. The Ozarks are beautiful. The Appalachians are beautiful. They are also all mountains.

Who cares if one is taller than the other? Plus, the Appalachians were as tall as the Rockies. They're just older and have eroded.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

NoDamage posted:

Unfortunately based on the Montana statue it looks like aggravated assault requires the person to cause "serious bodily injury" which I guess this doesn't qualify as. At least people are pulling their endorsements. Hopefully it's not too late to absolutely destroy his chance of getting elected.

45-5-202. Aggravated assault. (1) A person commits the offense of aggravated assault if the person purposely or knowingly causes serious bodily injury to another or purposely or knowingly, with the use of physical force or contact, causes reasonable apprehension of serious bodily injury or death in another.
(2) A person convicted of aggravated assault shall be imprisoned in the state prison for a term not to exceed 20 years and may be fined not more than $50,000, except as provided in 46-18-219 and 46-18-222.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Think like a Mountain is the best Concrete series.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Lol one of the replies to that tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/MJaMitchell/status/867610004609781761

Granted most I saw were positive, so maybe there is hope after all.:unsmith:

Zil fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 25, 2017

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
You guys are stretching. Aggravated / felony assault means you used a weapon or really screwed them up.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Psssh, you people sure love comparing the heights of your mountains. :rolleyes:

Everyone knows that the true measure of geographical worth is miles of freshwater shoreline, which is why Minnesota is the best state in the nation.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Raylen posted:

This was posted earlier but I love how the RNC had to basically hire a bunch of workers to ask people if they wanted to hear a pre-recorded message from President Biff Tannen regarding Gianforte.

https://whinr.com/CNN/status/867413387092930560

They can't be automated robocalls because it's illegal according to Montana law:

http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/45/8/45-8-216.htm

As I recall from this Post article, they're getting around it by getting call centers to ask people if they'd "like to listen to an automated message from Biff Tannen," which somehow toes the line.

also dammit i had to go back and correct my word substitution add-on that replaces his name with "Biff Tannen" and I heavily disliked doing it each time

e: gently caress I missed one

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

NoDamage posted:

Official Montana Definition:

quote:

"Serious bodily injury" means bodily injury that:

(i) creates a substantial risk of death;

(ii) causes serious permanent disfigurement or protracted loss or impairment of the function or process of a bodily member or organ; or

(iii) at the time of injury, can reasonably be expected to result in serious permanent disfigurement or protracted loss or impairment of the function or process of a bodily member or organ.

So it's broken bones at a minimum and probably more than that to be a protracted loss or impairment of function

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pick that guitar, quist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP4DHRRzUKw

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Caros posted:

Oh no! We've lost one of our 47 seat majority. How ever will we continue to completely fail to govern without it?

Losing the seat doesn't matter except to the narrative. If this was a senate seat, gently caress yeah, go to town, but this is a special election amidst a heavy republican majority in the house. The seat is going to be up again in 2018, which is the only point control of it will actually matter, and all the win now accomplishes is the benefit of incumbency which may or may not matter down the line.

I'm not expecting republicans to act selflessly by changing course on healthcare, The goal was to put the fear of loving god into them by having them lose a seat they shouldn't be losing. The fact that they can rationalize this loss as "That dumb gently caress" means it will weigh less heavily when it comes time to vote on reconciliation.

If you honestly don't believe that public opinion matters, then I assume you also feel the town hall barrage is pointless? Because public opinion and the risk to their seats was the only thing that kept these assholes from going to town on the ACA on day one.

Whatever amended bill the Senate passes will have to be voted on again in the House, where the AHCA passed by exactly 1 vote after a delicate balancing act between Republicans who thought it was too evil versus Republicans who didn't think it was evil enough.

One seat is actually a very big deal here, especially this one because Rep Gianforte would be an unprincipled rubber-stamp yea for whatever the Republican leadership poo poo out to the floor. Another Dem vote means the Republicans will have to find another vote to overcome Quist without losing a single Tea Party or moderate vote from before.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 25, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SirPablo posted:

I like this geography (from the National Weather Service).

These are way more accurate cultural-political fault lines than that Russian professor's nonsense.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Play on!

This is why Quist is famous in Montana. This video is well before his campaign a year ago, when he was playing a random gym for school kids. Its just what he does, everyone in MT apparently knows about and has heard their poet and singing cowboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66iY6tpHbgg

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mustached Demon posted:

They wouldn't call it BIG SKY BREWING if they didn't have mountains.

Moose Drools good beer.

Hot take: Cold Smoke is better :can:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

VitalSigns posted:

Whatever amended bill the Senate passes will have to be voted on again in the House, where the AHCA passed by exactly 1 vote after a delicate balancing act between Republicans who thought it was too evil versus Republicans who didn't think it was evil enough.

One seat is actually a very big deal here, especially this one because Rep Gianforte would be an unprincipled rubber-stamp yea for whatever the Republican leadership poo poo out to the floor. Another Dem vote means the Republicans will have to find another vote to overcome Quist without losing a single Tea Party or moderate vote from before.

And if Quist wins, the GOP has to convince literally dozens of GOP Congressmen in districts far less red than Montana that voting for the AHCA isn't going to be the end of their careers in Congress (or if it is, there's a cushy job waiting for them after getting voted out).

Caros
May 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

This is just wrong.

While the vote was decided by a single vote cast, the actual total wasn't that close. What happened in the house for the ACHA is the same thing that happened with the ACA. House leadership got the approval of enough members to vote yes for the issue. Once they were sure they had that, they started handing out hall passes to anyone for whom the vote could be troublesome in their district. The only difference this election makes is that one less republican will be given a pass.

Again, I'm not saying it isn't a good thing. I'd just rather republicans get publicly beaten on ideas in a way that frightens them rather than give house republicans the fig leaf that maybe they just don't need to bodyslam reporters in front of witnesses.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:toot:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

The Lord of Hats posted:

Psssh, you people sure love comparing the heights of your mountains. :rolleyes:

Hills :colbert:

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Caros posted:

This is just wrong.

While the vote was decided by a single vote cast, the actual total wasn't that close. What happened in the house for the ACHA is the same thing that happened with the ACA. House leadership got the approval of enough members to vote yes for the issue. Once they were sure they had that, they started handing out hall passes to anyone for whom the vote could be troublesome in their district. The only difference this election makes is that one less republican will be given a pass.

Again, I'm not saying it isn't a good thing. I'd just rather republicans get publicly beaten on ideas in a way that frightens them rather than give house republicans the fig leaf that maybe they just don't need to bodyslam reporters in front of witnesses.

I predict that there will be many Representatives in 2018 that will wish they were given that hall pass now that the CBO score is out.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Caros posted:

This is just wrong.

They only have so many reps willing to fall on their swords, it matters. We don't and can't know how close they were (because anyone taking a hall pass by definition is not going to come out and say they were willing to pass it if asked), but the fact that it already failed once is a good indicator that it was a close call and they didn't have too many hall passes to give out.

Those reps with hall passes already went home and told their constituents they weren't willing to pass a bill that hurt people in order to cut taxes for the rich, so unless the senate bill somehow doesn't do that (it will, the entire goal is to try to pass off a tax cut for the rich as "healthcare reform"), they'd be asking people to flip-flop on that promise.

And there are two more house special elections coming up in June.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Caros posted:

This is just wrong.

Unless the new cycle has given me an aneurysm, they were scrambling up to night before to actually secure the votes.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
This is the craziest thing I've seen in the last 24 hours, the guy can't hold his temper on the day before the frigging election and the weirdest part is I'm only 90% sure he is going to lose because these are strange times.

Can we start using the phrase Conservative snowflakes so they can't own that phrase, so many thin skinned people like Gianforte and Hannity who lose their temper and cry about how unfair they are being treated.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Thaddius the Large posted:

It's better than moose drool but where it's at for montana booze is Orphan Girl

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Get some Mountain Man sometime. If you like Cold Smoke, you'll love that stuff.

Bhaal posted:

It's better than moose drool but where it's at for montana booze is Orphan Girl

Yep.

Real content, watching republican family on FB freak out about this has been pretty amazing. I really can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It took me a minute to figure out what the hell this was at the end of the article.

I went WTF, then realized this is way better than a comment section. Plus, I like to imagine that the people who are angry at a paper demonstrating a shred of integrity look like that IRL.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Truth. Also:

https://twitter.com/missoulian/status/867598860700569600

Billings is the largest city, it's usually a bellweather battleground.

Missoula is hippies and students.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If quist loses, it wont be because he was lazy or took voters for granted. He probably spent 10 minutes to convince this dude to remember to vote,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofIkyoryQMw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

They only have so many reps willing to fall on their swords, it matters. We don't and can't know how close they were (because anyone taking a hall pass by definition is not going to come out and say they were willing to pass it if asked), but the fact that it already failed once is a good indicator that it was a close call and they didn't have too many hall passes to give out.

Those reps with hall passes already went home and told their constituents they weren't willing to pass a bill that hurt people in order to cut taxes for the rich, so unless the senate bill somehow doesn't do that (it will, the entire goal is to try to pass off a tax cut for the rich as "healthcare reform"), they'd be asking people to flip-flop on that promise.

And there are two more house special elections coming up in June.

The final vote count was 217-213 with one absent who would have voted yes. We know that in the initial round (before things were changed) the total got as high at 223, though two of those were democrats who... I dunno, had a seizure or something. That means the republicans likely had, at minimum, 222 of the 216 votes that they needed. So no, one vote does not in fact matter. Democrats are unlikely to flip six house seats before 2016, so it really doesn't seem likely to matter in the grand scheme of things from a legislative sense.

It does, of course, matter in terms of optics and scaring house republicans. Which is why I would have prefered an outright loss rather than a bodyslam based loss.

I'll take my victory where I can get it, but a man can still dream, right?

• Locked thread