Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

wookieepelt posted:

My current phone is rapidly in the way out, so I'll have to upgrade sooner than I'd have liked. What's better between the LG G6 or the Galaxy S8?

The s8

You should just get a pixel tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Can I just say the s8 is a tank? Mine just fell out of my pocket while biking, took a bounce off the asphalt face down, no screen protector, and there's two small scuff marks on the bezel. I was terrified I'd find my brand new phone destroyed, and one of the scuffs is looking like it will buff out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have an HTC One M8 and it's a big bucket of poo poo now. I was looking for something that could send texts and watch youtube on the toilet and it looks like the Moto G Plus is pretty decent. Amazon sells one for 184 dollars that has ads on the lock screen which doesn't really bother me. I like to send texts, take pictures, watch youtube, and sometimes do snapchat. I would like all of these things to happen within five seconds of me pushing its respective button and then not immediately lock up, which my current phone is no longer able to do. Is this the phone for me?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
My Lumia 640 has been cracked since November and I'm finally getting sick of it frequently crashing back to its start screen if I scroll too fast on the forums or a webpage. I've used 625MB of data in the past month and I'm around WiFi most of the time. Any compelling reason not to get the barest-bones Google Fi setup and a Pixel and not worry about my phone for another three years?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I have an HTC One M8 and it's a big bucket of poo poo now. I was looking for something that could send texts and watch youtube on the toilet and it looks like the Moto G Plus is pretty decent. Amazon sells one for 184 dollars that has ads on the lock screen which doesn't really bother me. I like to send texts, take pictures, watch youtube, and sometimes do snapchat. I would like all of these things to happen within five seconds of me pushing its respective button and then not immediately lock up, which my current phone is no longer able to do. Is this the phone for me?

I dont use Snapchat but other people in the android thread have said it worked fine on it; I've never had lag on any apps that I do use tho

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Tanith posted:

Any compelling reason not to get the barest-bones Google Fi setup and a Pixel and not worry about my phone for another three years?

Not really

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Blue Train posted:

I dont use Snapchat but other people in the android thread have said it worked fine on it; I've never had lag on any apps that I do use tho

Thanks. Do you have the 2GB or the 4GB of RAM version?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

2 but if you plan on keeping it for more than a year I'd splurge on the 4

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

AA is for Quitters posted:

Can I just say the s8 is a tank? Mine just fell out of my pocket while biking, took a bounce off the asphalt face down, no screen protector, and there's two small scuff marks on the bezel. I was terrified I'd find my brand new phone destroyed, and one of the scuffs is looking like it will buff out.

An all glass phone luckily survived one fall. That doesn't make it a tank haha.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

RVProfootballer posted:

An all glass phone luckily survived one fall. That doesn't make it a tank haha.

The only phone i had that also survived a similar fall was a 20 Wal-Mart special. I was thinking I'd have to pay the $260 deductible two weeks into having my phone

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
My wife and I both have Galaxy S5 Actives (AT&T exclusive "rugged" S5 from a few years back). They're okay, but definitely starting to slow down and show their age. My contract with AT&T is ending which is great considering we just moved and our new apartment gets 0-2 bars of signal. Since I kind of need to be able to receive calls, I'm looking at jumping carriers and if we do that we might as well get new phones!

1) Verizon is my first thought. Is there anything else I should consider? We are US.

2) My wish list for a phone is performance primarily. I want to be able to launch apps quickly, play Hearthstone (or other games) without a ton of delay, have podcasts and GPS running at the same time, etc. I'm also hoping for minimal bloatware.

From what research I have done (very awkwardly on my lovely signal and with no Internet access on my PC because living in the boonies means waiting to have a cable box shipped out to me instead of going to a local store), the top options are a S8, Pixel XL, or whatever the current iPhone is. Is this mostly accurate? I really like the idea of a Pixel phone, but apparently the Pixel 2 is rumored to come out soon (???) so I'm wondering if waiting on that would be good?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The new pixel will probably be out around October and t mobile is much cheaper than Verizon and it is worth checking if they have good service where you are first

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Aranan posted:

The top options are a S8, Pixel XL, or whatever the current iPhone is. Is this mostly accurate? I really like the idea of a Pixel phone, but apparently the Pixel 2 is rumored to come out soon (???) so I'm wondering if waiting on that would be good?

The next Pixel will come out in late October/early November so I'll let you decide on whether half a year is "soon". On the one hand you're 17% through its lifecycle (as determined by Google's length of support) but on the other hand it's still the best phone out there and it's not like an S8 will be supported longer even with its later debut.

When it comes down to iPhone versus Pixel, the question is a little tougher. The new iPhones come even sooner (September, I think) and are rumored to be quite a change from prior versions, which with today's Apple isn't necessarily great. The iPhone will definitely supported for longer than the Pixel. How you feel about iOS vs. Android is really the determining factor here.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Very cool, thanks for the info both of you. October is definitely too far off for me to wait, so I'll dive deeper into some nerdy reviews of the Pixel, S8, and iPhone. We are both leaning toward the Pixel currently, though.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Aranan posted:

2) My wish list for a phone is performance primarily. I want to be able to launch apps quickly, play Hearthstone (or other games) without a ton of delay, have podcasts and GPS running at the same time, etc. I'm also hoping for minimal bloatware.

This paragraph tells me you're looking for an iPhone, but you're pretty much correct, the Pixel, S8, and iPhone are your three choices. None of these are really wrong, I'd recommend getting your hands on them at the store to see which you like best as there's no clear cut better phone between the three unless you're already a diehard Android/iPhone or Galaxy/Pixel guy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Aranan posted:

Very cool, thanks for the info both of you. October is definitely too far off for me to wait, so I'll dive deeper into some nerdy reviews of the Pixel, S8, and iPhone. We are both leaning toward the Pixel currently, though.

You can't really go wrong with any of the three. Desk Lamp has the best advice though, get some hands-on time with each.

The Pixel's beauty doesn't come across in a review because what makes it so good is the fact that's consistently responsive all the time. it just doesn't have that Android Jank that literally every other Android has ever had including the S8. Maybe make sure you read some long term reviews of the device because it's the first Android where the long term is better than the short term.

In the S8's favor though I'll say if you've lived with Samsung's... questionable UX choices and duplicated services up (and yes, jank) until now and not minded, then you'll probably be happy with what the S8 offers. You won't know what you're missing in regards to smoothness so it won't matter and you might be getting features you want on the S8 that the Pixel doesn't have (SD card, full screen no bezel, water resistance, wireless charging, etc). There's no arguing against the fact that the S8 has everything and the kitchen sink (sometimes two or three sinks) and that might be your thing.

My point is you don't know until you've tried them out, I don't know that reviews are as helpful as most believe.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I'm still looking for a replacement for my Moto G (2014) that seems to be crashing more often lately. I tried the Moto G5 Plus for a week and couldn't stand the motion blur/slow pixel response on the screen, so that's out. Here's my current situation and "preferences" for a phone:
  • Around $500 CAD (hard limit of $600 with tax), so not enough for a Pixel (XL), iPhone, or recent Samsung (not that interested in Apple products in general, but no great aversion to them)
  • Currently on prepaid and will likely be staying with that for the immediate future at least; I don't need or want a contract at the moment, so subsidized phones aren't an option
  • 64 GB of storage preferred, or less with an SD card slot
  • Good enough performance to handle video playback, streaming, pretty much any current mobile game
  • Either something like low-persistence AMOLED or equivalent in IPS for the display, preferably in the 5.2-5.5" range
Does anybody know of some decent options with those things in mind?

Looking into it myself over the past week, the Axon 7 and OnePlus 3T sounded like potentially okay choices that people seem to generally find good for the price, even if they're not perfect. The main complaints I've seen for the Axon are: various camera problems (poor low-light performance, slow focus, greenish tint to everything, audio desync with recorded videos, skipped frames during recorded videos); the proximity sensor causing the screen to wake up during calls which results in accidental hangups; display issues (not having anything like an sRGB mode, flicker possibly from PWM that can affect certain people); and some mentions of software bugs (like rare UI hiccups/lag). I don't know how widespread any of these issues are in reality, though. People seem to hate OnePlus as a company on principle (I don't know the history of the company, or the current state of their customer support), the 3T is currently around $130 more than the Axon, it uses a proprietary charger, has a one year shorter warranty, and I saw a few mentions of the screen resolution being too low for a 5.5" AMOLED display so it looks blurry in certain cases.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I am sure I remember seeing people post about the axon in either the chinaphone thread or the android thread saying it was good so you may try asking in the android thread

Also they're discontinuing the 3t

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
The Axon 7 is pretty good and I've recommended it a couple of times. Me and a few other goons have had it sense release. (I'm on my phone but if you check my post history and ignore my GBS posts you can find my thoughts! :))

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah, I remember seeing you and at least one other person talk about the Axon before. I just did a quick search for all of the posts mentioning the Axon, and it seems like you're all pretty positive about it. It's been on sale a couple of times in Newegg's ebay listings recently. Have you encountered any issues with the proximity sensor? Those accidental hangups are pretty much the only thing I'd be worried about from the complaints I've seen.

e: I also read about the discontinuation of the 3T after you mentioned it, Blue Train. They announce that the same day as I'm asking about this stuff. Seems like a sign. And since the 3T is already $130 more than the Axon 7 right now, and the upcoming 5 is expected to be even more expensive, then that's also off the list of options.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 27, 2017

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Grog posted:

Yeah, I remember seeing you and at least one other person talk about the Axon before. I just did a quick search for all of the posts mentioning the Axon, and it seems like you're all pretty positive about it. It's been on sale a couple of times in Newegg's ebay listings recently. Have you encountered any issues with the proximity sensor? Those accidental hangups are pretty much the only thing I'd be worried about from the complaints I've seen.

e: I also read about the discontinuation of the 3T after you mentioned it, Blue Train. They announce that the same day as I'm asking about this stuff. Seems like a sign. And since the 3T is already $130 more than the Axon 7 right now, and the upcoming 5 is expected to be even more expensive, then that's also off the list of options.

I've never had it disconnect on me, I have had it decide to switch the screen on and off when I'm switching ears on long calls and whatnot, if that makes sense? I guess I haven't ever had it hang up however, I just turn the screen back off manually.

I have seen it as cheap as I think 330$ recently so I'd watch for sales if you do decide to get it! :)

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Alright, thanks. It's on sale right now for $20 more than the cheapest it's been, so I think that's probably fine. Now I get to join the Axon owners club! Here's hoping that I don't have any problems with mine. :buddy:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Anyone have thoughts on the HTC U11? I know it's not out quite yet but I'm looking to get a new phone with a good camera and it is supposed to have one better than the Pixel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I got my Moto G5 Plus and I'm really enjoying it. I got the 64GB/4GB version with Amazon ads. I don't mind the Amazon ad on the lock screen. If I really start to hate it, I can just pay the 45 dollars and get rid of it. It does everything I want it to do. The only modern feature it seems to be missing is NFC and I used that maybe three times with my old phone. I'm definitely not spending 700 dollars on a phone again any time soon.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the HTC U11? I know it's not out quite yet but I'm looking to get a new phone with a good camera and it is supposed to have one better than the Pixel.

My first thought would be "Why would you buy one when it's going to cost the same as a Pixel?" You know the Pixel will have better support.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

LastInLine posted:

My first thought would be "Why would you buy one when it's going to cost the same as a Pixel?" You know the Pixel will have better support.

Pixel with the additional storage is $100 more. HTC has 64 gigs plus a micro sd card slot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

Pixel with the additional storage is $100 more. HTC has 64 gigs plus a micro sd card slot.

You're already paying $700+ for a phone but you get cheap when it comes to buying the storage you "need"?

I can't imagine spending iPhone or Pixel money on something that isn't an iPhone or a Pixel mainly because you could spend G5+ money on a G5+ and get roughly the same performance and updates you're going to get out of any other device. You say you care about the camera and okay, that's fine, that means the budget end doesn't work for you. Now you're back up to either buying an iPhone or a Pixel because any other Android at that price level is basically "I'd like a Pixel but can you make it work really lovely and be on old software until the manufacturer forgets they made it in eight months?"

I guess I could see picking up some "flagship" once it's old news and discounted $300 (and let's be real, the window for that on any HTC is about 3 months post-release), but buying it at full MSRP is lunacy given the choices.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
If I'm eligible for the T-Mobile Pixel promo (they subtract $325 from your bill over 24 months when you buy a Pixel and register it with them) is there a better phone for around $325 right now? I'm very happy with my 5" Pixel, but I'm looking to replace my wife's LG Nexus 5X that's just entered boot loop territory and I haven't been keeping up with what's new in the world of Android.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nothing comes close.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Can someone explain what makes the pixel so far superior to the HTC?

Looking into a new phone now and trying to get away from the Galaxy's since they have a history of rapidly falling apart for me. My current S6 edge had half the battery life after a year and now pushes 6 hours per charge.

Was interested in the pixel or htc 10 since all I do now is call/text/email and browse SA or use Spotify. So I don't need top of the line hardware. End of the day I'm looking for reliability and better battery life and htc 10 and the pixel are the same price (around $650) with those capabilities.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lol please justify the htc

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I mean gently caress if you don't need top of the line hardware just get a Moto g5

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Blue Train posted:

Lol please justify the htc

That's literally what I'm asking? Reviews I've seen say they are comparable so I was wondering why it gets so much hate. I don't know phones that well

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ok for your use case there is p much no reason to spend that kind of money and you'll be better served by the Moto g5

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Blue Train posted:

Ok for your use case there is p much no reason to spend that kind of money and you'll be better served by the Moto g5

Alright thank you I'll look into the g5.

I've been in the cycle of buying the top of the line every may at release and realized I'm only using 1/10th of the features

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

To answer your question, the difference between a Pixel and every other phone is consistency. It's consistently lag-free and responsive while giving you an excellent camera and the best long-term support (including software updates, security updates, and live assistance). Of all the flagship Androids, it's in a class all to itself at the top of the pile. You simply won't find a better Android at any price anywhere.

But then you mention that you don't really use your phone much and one has to wonder why you'd pay three times the price of a G5+ for a Pixel. As great as the Pixel is, for its price you could buy the G5+, its forthcoming successor the G5S+, and the G6 next year. And while the G-series isn't going to get timely updates, buying a new one every year would give you essentially the same thing.

You wouldn't be getting all the poo poo you get with a Pixel but given your use case it's tough to say that the $700 phone is better for you than the $240 one.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My Moto G3 (the lovely 8GB one) needs replacement. My provider (Koodo) is offering a $100 discount and will wave my current $40 tab balance if I grab a new phone. This might be my opportunity to grab a Pixel at a discount, but it's still pretty pricey even with the tab. I currently only pay $8/mo for my phone, though it's almost paid off, and the Pixel is three times that plus a $300 downpayment.

Which of these would be recommended? All are 32GB models:
- LG G5
- Samsung Galaxy S7
- Samsung Galaxy A5
- Moto G Plus (I think this one is old by now?)

Any of those worth it? Each of them have multiple editions and I don't know which they are offering. I don't particularly like big phones so the LG G5 is appealing because of that. My current phone is almost too big for my liking.

Honestly considering all of that and the Pixel's reliability and longevity, I might be best off going with it anyway :shrug:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 2, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Don't get the LG. Choose the smaller of the Moto or the S7

E: the pixel is the best bet

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

Don't get the LG. Choose the smaller of the Moto or the S7

E: the pixel is the best bet

This is exactly right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah, but LastLine your posts on this page about its support longevity is concerning. When you say it'll stop receiving updates in October 2018 you mean just major OS updates, right? Security and app patches will still be rolled out?