Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I feel sort of cheated out of the super hot blood anime protagonist that being one half scottish should get us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Hikaru no Go struck a good balance between "this sport is extremely important to these people and it deeply affects their lives" and "this is still the real world* and not some weird Sports Dimension".

*Apart from the ghost, obviously.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

I feel Eyeshield 21 did a good job remembering that no one in Japan outside the football players themselves really knew about or had any stake in football. At least until they went to the Promised Land USA.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ConanThe3rd posted:

I feel sort of cheated out of the super hot blood anime protagonist that being one half scottish should get us.

Hes gonna get a sniff of whiskey and then spontaneously grow a beard, a kilt and woad tats.
His club will become a claymore

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is the Medaka Box anime good? The talk about it earlier made it sound like a loving incredible series, and I'd rather watch it than read it unless the anime's poo poo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is the Medaka Box anime good? The talk about it earlier made it sound like a loving incredible series, and I'd rather watch it than read it unless the anime's poo poo.

The anime doesn't really get to the good stuff.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hes gonna get a sniff of whiskey and then spontaneously grow a beard, a kilt and woad tats.
His club will become a claymore

See, as a scotsman I know that's patently false but I still want to see it.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

SgtMongoose posted:

I feel Eyeshield 21 did a good job remembering that no one in Japan outside the football players themselves really knew about or had any stake in football. At least until they went to the Promised Land USA.

yeah but there was also a school where the entire social hierarchy was based on what string you were on the football team, and an exhibition match between a visiting american team (from nasa high school??) and a japanese team draws an enormous crowd, and world-class athletes like Shin play on the fuckin American Football team instead of in a sport anyone in Japan cares about

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

DoubleDonut posted:

yeah but there was also a school where the entire social hierarchy was based on what string you were on the football team, and an exhibition match between a visiting american team (from nasa high school??) and a japanese team draws an enormous crowd, and world-class athletes like Shin play on the fuckin American Football team instead of in a sport anyone in Japan cares about
The irony in this is that Eyeshield 21 legit caused a pretty large uptick in the interest in American Football in Japan.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thats the weird thing about some manga, sometimes they just cause fads to explode.
Like that wine manga.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What wine manga?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Drops of god.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

chumbler posted:

The anime doesn't really get to the good stuff.

Even worse, it got 2 seasons, and the second season ended about 5 seconds before the good stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Spirit Migration appears to have been canceled, based on how absurdly rushed the ending was. What a shame, it was a fun manga. Kou's evolution with his friends and various parties he traveled with was great fun.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
In the latest chapter of The Promised Neverland, try to count how many times the artist forgets that Emma cut her left ear off.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Fabricated posted:

In the latest chapter of The Promised Neverland, try to count how many times the artist forgets that Emma cut her left ear off.

Oh my god, no really? I had forgotten about that too so I did not notice!

Still, it's an interesting turn this chapter. We'll just have to see how the plucky gang gets out of this predicament!!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Fabricated posted:

Didn't notice the first time I read but when I was looking for it I spotted 2. Wonder how much they regret writing that in and how long it lasts before the kids meet Minerva and he shows them his demon medicine cabinet and they regrow their ears.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

TriffTshngo posted:

Didn't notice the first time I read but when I was looking for it I spotted 2. Wonder how much they regret writing that in and how long it lasts before the kids meet Minerva and he shows them his demon medicine cabinet and they regrow their ears.

They could probably take care of that pretty easily just by having some time pass and the characters growing out their hair to cover it. Problem solved!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
heck yeah, it has been 8 months but there is finally another chapter of wizard's soul! http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Wizard-s-Soul-Koi-no-Seisen/Vol-002-Ch-011--Turn-011?id=366907

i'm glad manaka met some nice people for once.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Does anyone know what the current status is of Silver Spoon? From what little research I've done it looks like it's still on hiatus, but I'm not even sure the latest scans (Chapter 120) were all of what was available.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Does anyone know what the current status is of Silver Spoon? From what little research I've done it looks like it's still on hiatus, but I'm not even sure the latest scans (Chapter 120) were all of what was available.

My understanding is that 120 is the most recent chapter period, and there hasn't been much in the way of news since.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hope Arakawa is okay.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Okay? Hasn't Arslan been chugging along?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Captain Invictus posted:

I hope Arakawa is okay.
Her parents are ailing, or have passed on I believe.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

KnY chapter 62: Throw Tanjirou from the Train

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Shiori Experience

:rock:

coathat
May 21, 2007

Badass new series from the guy that made karakuri circus and ushio to fora. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/souboutei-kowasu-beshi-r21474

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
okay, that's a really neat premise.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

A normal boy, a not so mormal boy, a naked ninja lady and both the President and defense minister of Japan

Really hate this piece of real estate

Meanwhile an art grad struggles to make a living

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Finally, a proper sequel to Doom House.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This week's Black Clover had an amazing ending!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

coathat posted:

Badass new series from the guy that made karakuri circus and ushio to fora. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/souboutei-kowasu-beshi-r21474

Based on the synopsis I thought it would be about people getting trapped and killed in a spooky mansion. Not people previously spooked at a spooky mansion trying to blow it up and then getting destroyed by ghosts.

Seems pretty promising :allears:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a bunch of really intense weirdos who are dedicating to killing a house. there is nothing i don't like about that.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I wish Donald trump hadn't made the guy translating karakuri circus go crazy and stop working on it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Oh right, I forgot about that one. Seemed like it was nearly over, too.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Dr. Stone: It's a bit weak for Tsukasa not to notice something like that but I'll take it as a piece of good luck. I'm guessing whatever primitivist society he builds is the/a major antagonist.

Robot Golf: Obviously the guy has to be a quick learner for the story to work going forward but if he's that quick they're going to have logic problems challenging him later.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Peel posted:

Dr. Stone: It's a bit weak for Tsukasa not to notice something like that but I'll take it as a piece of good luck. I'm guessing whatever primitivist society he builds is the/a major antagonist.

I'm pretty sure that minus Tsukasa himself, any primitivist society would easily be defeated by a more advanced one, especially when you consider that more people will want to come to the protagonists' "not dying of dysentery" society.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Peel posted:

If that's the case I fully expect He'll be subjugated by it before too long.

As big and stupid as someone like Tsukasa is there's always going to be some bigger, stupider and holding a bigger stick just around the corner ready to rally the cry for ludism.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I don't see why you'd assume that. But there's a few times that same weird assumption in this thread that Tsukasa is secretly a useless idiot doomed to job to someone, either a bigger version of himself or the power of science, so far as I can tell because goons tend to be science fans and can't take his views at all seriously. But 1. primitivism has a respectable intellectual pedigree and is no less coherent than most anime villain philosophies, 2. he is personally extremely intelligent and has been hyped heavily as both a rival and a main villain in the prologue, and 3. there's no particular reason besides his opponents being the heroes why he's doomed to lose, primitivism is only even in question because Senkuu is a literally comic-book supergenius who can skip the thousands of years and thousands of people required to develop sophisticated theoretical knowledge. Tsukasa has nothing in Senkuu in the OTT superhuman stakes.

Remember also that he uses technology (spears, nitric acid, etc) himself and is clearly well-read. He just doesn't want advanced technical civilisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Peel posted:

I don't see why you'd assume that. But there's a few times that same weird assumption in this thread that Tsukasa is secretly a useless idiot doomed to job to someone, either a bigger version of himself or the power of science, so far as I can tell because goons tend to be science fans and can't take his views at all seriously. But 1. primitivism has a respectable intellectual pedigree and is no less coherent than most anime villain philosophies, 2. he is personally extremely intelligent and has been hyped heavily as both a rival and a main villain in the prologue, and 3. there's no particular reason besides his opponents being the heroes why he's doomed to lose, primitivism is only even in question because Senkuu is a literally comic-book supergenius who can skip the thousands of years and thousands of people required to develop sophisticated theoretical knowledge. Tsukasa has nothing in Senkuu in the OTT superhuman stakes.

Remember also that he uses technology (spears, nitric acid, etc) himself and is clearly well-read. He just doesn't want advanced technical civilisation.

I agree that Tsukasa isn't going to randomly job out, though I wouldn't say that the sort of primitivism shown in the comic is anything remotely respectable/intellectual. Like, Tsukasa's motivation seems to literally be "I just like this simple livin'".