Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

farraday posted:

Do your best, I'd love to win back Frank Underwood's seat.

Will do. I'm terrible on phones but pretty good in person. So when it stops raining (it's been raining off and on for nearly four days now) I'll knock doors.

https://archieparnell.com/

If you can't volunteer throw some cash his way. It's sorely needed because the dems aren't throwing much money his way.

edit: Dog tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Raylen posted:

The west coast doesn't have any good BBQ

Wrong.gif

Johnny Reb's is pretty good in general and has the best brunswick stew I've ever tasted. Lucillle's is pretty drat good as well and has the best jambalaya I've had anywhere including multiple places in New Orleans that were highly rated, mainly because Lucille's uses all smoked meats for their jambalaya simmers it all in the spices. I think the only place in NOLA that could even compete was The Gumbo Shop.

Overall the best BBQ I've ever had was in Lexington, KY at Red State BBQ. Best loving ribs and sauce I've had in my life.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

He's a nut. He's crazy in the coconut.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

If Quist doesn't win after he has pretty much everything going for him, I'm gonna be very sad :smith:

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

RandomBlue posted:

Wrong.gif

Johnny Reb's is pretty good in general and has the best brunswick stew I've ever tasted. Lucillle's is pretty drat good as well and has the best jambalaya I've had anywhere including multiple places in New Orleans that were highly rated, mainly because Lucille's uses all smoked meats for their jambalaya simmers it all in the spices. I think the only place in NOLA that could even compete was The Gumbo Shop.

Overall the best BBQ I've ever had was in Lexington, KY at Red State BBQ. Best loving ribs and sauce I've had in my life.

The best jambalaya in this state isn't even within an hour's drive of New Orleans.

New derail? :derp:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

mango sentinel posted:

3) Telling anyone where our SSBNs are is tantamount to treason, so I feel we would have had a little more grousing from the military if that's what is was.

He's the Commander in Chief. As far as the military is concerned - and really ought to be concerned - he can tell the whole world where the SSBNs are. The consequences for that should be political (and potentially getting first struck by the Russians I guess), not the military throwing a tantrum.

I get the appeal though, given that Congress is doing negative amounts of institutional oversight.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Queering Wheel posted:

If Quist doesn't win after he has pretty much everything going for him, I'm gonna be very sad :smith:

I wouldn't say he's had "everything going for him"; it's still traditionally a beet-red district.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Kilroy posted:

I don't buy that people want to vote for a winner or that if we just beat the GOP over the head with AHCA and Trump and all the rest, and that that is enough to provide Democrats with a victory. Nor do I think that a victory so achieved would accomplish much of what I want accomplished: when you run that sort of campaign (where you don't stand for much), then even if you win you don't have much a clear mandate to do anything (because you didn't provide a clear vision during your campaign). You just sort of won by default. You tried the rope-a-dope tactic and it happened to work that time.

I'm not saying run a campaign based on the fact that the Dems won some special elections. Run the campaigns based on policies and platforms and positive messages. The perception that Democrats have support and the GOP is running scared will already be taken care of by the media coverage of the special elections, etc., so long as some effort is expended to keep that momentum. All I'm saying is perceptions matter - if Democratic voters don't think that the GOP is beatable in their district, they're much less likely to put in the effort to vote, even if they like the platform. Winning requires both winning people over to your message and convincing them that a vote for you is actually worth their effort. Doubly so when Republican voter suppression methods are the law of the land!

Kilroy posted:

... then acting on your platform once elected and doing everything you can to accomplish as much as you can. Democrats mostly don't do any of that poo poo and they need to start.
But yeah, this part definitely needs more attention from the DNC, as well as selling accomplishments that they actually pull off. I remember reading a story about an ex-factory worker in Detroit(?) who had found another job through a job-training program, funded through an Obama initiative, who complained that Obama never did anything to help unemployment in the area.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 25, 2017

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Boon posted:

Oh? You've never seen or set foot on Mauna Kea? Your ideas of mountains must be so quaint.

:smug:

I'm from Florida and I'm proud of our tallest mountain, a landfill on the highway between Orlando and Fort Lauderdale. :downs:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

1) SSBN subs don't need to be close to their prospective targets, they're basically armed with ICBMs.
2) Being near NK suggests they're probably regular subs with cruise missiles, though as I said Trump probably doesn't understand the difference.
3) Telling anyone where our SSBNs are is tantamount to treason, so I feel we would have had a little more grousing from the military if that's what is was.
4) It's literally rocket science. It's not happenstance that's a byword for an incredibly complicated and demanding task.

They tell their people its a roaring success anyway.

Maybe all they need is something big an shinny to take off from he ground and look powerful.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

RandomBlue posted:

Wrong.gif

Ummm, I was joking around with the whole dumb geography derail. But I wasn't joking that the West Coast has the worst BBQ. The ribs suck here in the Bay Area. Some of the best BBQ I ever had was when I was stationed in North Carolina. Except for the smell from all the drat pig farms and the polluted rivers, the pork there was great.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What the Christ. I was catching up from like page 38 and reading this stupid debate about whether or not Ohio was "east coast" (it's not you loving moron) and skipped to a couple pages before the current page and that guy is still arguing about it.

What a time to live.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Queering Wheel posted:

Remember, the Republican Candidate beat up a member of the "left-wing media". Many Republican voters will see that as Gianforte sticking up for himself. Add on to that he represents a British newspaper (foreigner sticking their nose into American affairs) and the reporter's first response to getting punched was, "You broke my glasses!" makes him appear as a nerd who deserved what he got.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Ramos posted:

I'm from Florida and I'm proud of our tallest mountain, a landfill on the highway between Orlando and Fort Lauderdale. :downs:

gently caress, I had a field trip to that mountain in elementary school. Had a bunch of garbage seagulls trying to get in the bus windows.

Florida is not as magical a place to grow up as the post cards indicate.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I really really hope Quist's campaign runners are on the ball enough to message this in reference to the AHCA and CBO score. Instead of just the attack because that alone can parse into a lot of off-message stuff and a lot of Montanans won't give a poo poo if they think all the fuss is because their rep punched a nerd.

The quantifications and conclusions in that report are harrowing, and they've been given the mother of all opportunities to tie it around this guy's neck. After talking about the realities of the bill, just roll the tape and point out the question he was being asked.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 25, 2017

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What the Christ. I was catching up from like page 38 and reading this stupid debate about whether or not Ohio was "east coast" (it's not you loving moron) and skipped to a couple pages before the current page and that guy is still arguing about it.

What a time to live.

It's so dumb I'm actually welcoming the ahca now

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ramos posted:

Does that beat Britton Hill, our natural highpoint? (only 145 feet IIRC)

If so that is Florida as gently caress.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

spunkshui posted:

They tell their people its a roaring success anyway.

Maybe all they need is something big an shinny to take off from he ground and look powerful.

NK has made real measurable progress on it's nuclear arsenal over the last few years and it will not be long before their capability matches their propaganda. What then?

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
I honestly can't wait for Trump to return so he can sync back up with the daily new cycles and send out some really stupid tweets

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Boon posted:

NK has made real measurable progress on it's nuclear arsenal over the last few years and it will not be long before their capability matches their propaganda. What then?

You can finally relieve your blue-balls?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

You can finally relieve your blue-balls?

Maybe. We'll see.

What's your recommendation?

crayon85
Dec 25, 2013
Well the administration has managed to piss off British intelligence:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40040210

That's two of the five eyes now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

crayon85 posted:

Well the administration has managed to piss off British intelligence:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40040210

That's two of the five eyes now.

Actually, I think the only one we haven't alienated yet is New Zealand. Remember that Trump poo poo all over Turnbull because he heard he was a 'liberal.'

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Boon posted:

NK has made real measurable progress on it's nuclear arsenal over the last few years and it will not be long before their capability matches their propaganda.

The first part of this is true, but I think that second part's a bit of an overstatement. It's unlikely that they'll be able to produce enough warheads and delivery vehicles capable of reliably reaching the U.S., to pose the true existential threat that they advertise.

(unless you were joking, in which case sue me, it's late!)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

The first part of this is true, but I think that second part's a bit of an overstatement. It's unlikely that they'll be able to produce enough warheads and delivery vehicles capable of reliably reaching the U.S., to pose the true existential threat that they advertise.

(unless you were joking, in which case sue me, it's late!)

I mean, we're kind of back to the idea of what existential means? Cease to exist? No. Cease to exist as we currently understand? Yeah probably. A cloud where Honolulu used to be would be pretty loving game-changing in the history of the US and the world.

But that's not really a serious concern for me. My take is that the capability is an effective deterrent, can be further produced (and exported) and is an extremely effective bargaining chip for a country without much to lose. The DPRK possessing that capability is a complete game-changer in a region of the world which possesses 60% of the world population, 5 of the top 7 most powerful militaries, by far the highest concentration of trade, and the greatest gathering of disputes.

Boon fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 25, 2017

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

Maybe. We'll see.

Do it in the privacy in your own home, and wash your hands afterwards. Oh and make sure anything you stick in has a flared base.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Old James posted:

Remember, the Republican Candidate beat up a member of the "left-wing media". Many Republican voters will see that as Gianforte sticking up for himself. Add on to that he represents a British newspaper (foreigner sticking their nose into American affairs) and the reporter's first response to getting punched was, "You broke my glasses!" makes him appear as a nerd who deserved what he got.

Yeah that's what I fear. The typical red state Republican seems likely to identify with a violent thug who beats up innocent journalists.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Ramos posted:

When the ocean reclaims us, at least a literal trash heap will remain. God bless

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Boon posted:

Maybe. We'll see.

A volunteer invasion force of internet warhawk infantry to go get the WMDs.

10-year minimum commitment. You have to be an 11-bang-bang. You're allowed to nut on Kim's face while yelling "mission accomplished"

E: any of the Kims

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Boon posted:

I mean, we're kind of back to the idea of what existential means? Cease to exist? No. Cease to exist as currently we understand? Yeah probably.

A cloud where Honolulu used to be would be pretty loving game-changing in the history of the US and the world.

When people talk about "existential threats" in this context, though, they usually mean something closer to the former than the latter. By the latter definition, 9/11 was an existential threat, since it hosed our country's brain and changed a lot of stuff going forward. But it never had a chance of wiping out all or most life in the U.S., it didn't make it any more likely that another power would conquer us, it couldn't have seriously diminished our military or economic strength (at least directly), etc. The same would be true of a North Korean nuclear strike. It would suck, harder than probably anything the U.S. has ever experienced on its own soil, but the country would survive, for the most part.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

RandomBlue posted:

Wrong.gif

Believe me, I know bbq *names two soups*

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Raylen posted:

The west coast doesn't have any good BBQ

Hello, person who hasn't ever heard of tri-tip.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Aliquid posted:

Believe me, I know bbq *names two soups*

sides are important when deciding the best bbq restaurant.

as long as he's in lexington, he's doing fine.

edit* oh gently caress that was ky, not NC, gently caress that heresy

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

When people talk about "existential threats" in this context, though, they usually mean something closer to the former than the latter. By the latter definition, 9/11 was an existential threat, since it hosed our country's brain and changed a lot of stuff going forward. But it never had a chance of wiping out all or most life in the U.S., it didn't make it any more likely that another power would conquer us, it couldn't have seriously diminished our military or economic strength (at least directly), etc. The same would be true of a North Korean nuclear strike. It would suck, harder than probably anything the U.S. has ever experienced on its own soil, but the country would survive, for the most part.

Yeah, I 100% agree - see my edit on the same post (sorry).

Also, VitalSigns just kind of has it out for me on this particular topic because my experiences give me a perspective that he doesn't have but mocks anyway. Full disclosure, I'm posting from Japan right now because part of what I do is support the Naval component command that manages the Japanese alliance and supports the DoD and DoS in planning for the Korean peninsula contingencies like Non-combatant evacuation operations.

Boon fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 25, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nah I pretty much have it out for all the chairborne rangers who love 'splosions but would rather send the men and women I used to serve with out to face them while they watch the carnage in the safety of their living rooms. It's nothing against you personally.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Nah I pretty much have it out for all the chairborne rangers who love 'splosions but would rather send the men and women I used to serve with out to face them while they watch the carnage in the safety of their living rooms. It's nothing against you personally.

I'm an actual Naval Officer, and if something pops off in the region, guess who's ending up there.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Does that beat Britton Hill, our natural highpoint? (only 145 feet IIRC)

If so that is Florida as gently caress.

Mount Trashmore is 225 feet tall.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

Pillbug

Majorian posted:

Hello, person who hasn't ever heard of tri-tip.

Nope, never had it before but I'm not a California native. I'll have to try it out. But only one example for what constitutes good West Coast BBQ is not going to sway me to change my opinion.

Boon posted:

I'm an actual Naval Officer, and if something pops off in the region, guess who's ending up there.

Having fun in Yokosuka or Sasebo? Are there still protests when the nuclear powered aircraft carriers dock there?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lol. "I'm in the Navy! I'm an officer! I'll be able to see the war from my very own TV!"

I know it's not easy to change branches but you could at least try if you feel that strong about it. I'm sure the men and women of Honolulu will sleep easier knowing you're saving them from certain doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
^^^
What's your problem man?

Raylen posted:

Nope, never had it before but I'm not a California native. I'll have to try it out. But only one example for what constitutes good West Coast BBQ is not going to sway me to change my opinion.

Having fun in Yokosuka or Sasebo? Are there still protests when the nuclear powered aircraft carriers dock there?

Yokosuka but I miss Sasebo sometimes, that steak place with the old man is still my favorite meal of all time. I'm going to be taking off pretty shortly but I'll be back in January and I'm thinking of heading down there to see if the old guy is still around.

I haven't seen any, but the Reagan isn't in - I'm told they're still ongoing but things have changed a lot after Fukushima.

Boon fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 25, 2017

• Locked thread