Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

I know it may be hard to believe, but it's possible that Chris Roberts isn't bad at everything, and may actually be a good director. He can't make a story very cohesive, but he can make people do things on a set good and is probably pretty cheerful when doing it. It's obviously his passion and his primary he focus.

That is like saying that some dude is a good chef. Sure, his dishes taste, look, and smell like crap, but all the people in his kitchen are happy working for him, they cut the carrots real nice, and he just loves his work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

trucutru posted:

That is like saying that some dude is a good chef. Sure, his dishes taste, look, and smell like crap, but all the people in his kitchen are happy working for him, they cut the carrots real nice, and he just loves his work.

this is just reminding me once again, of CIG's kitchen equivalent, Amy's Baking Company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uPOGxUtZvk

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Abuminable posted:

3.0 is never coming out.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

The Titanic posted:

Just so nobody forgets, and to give all sides a fair shake, Freddie Prinze Jr said that he enjoyed working under Chris Roberts direction and would do it again. He said this probably unaware of the Star Citizen drama boat, and had no reason to say anything dishonest, so I believe him.

Chris Roberts likes to direct, and while he may be a terrible game designer and manager, he apparently does have some talent for getting people to enjoy working with him on a movie set.
That could just mean they did bumps together in between takes.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

haha thats amazing

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

That leaked S42 script is great - I'm surprised it hasn't been mined more for thread content.

Pretty much confirms Roberts has seen Star Wars and a few eps of Battlestar Galactica a bunch of times, and absolutely nothing else.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

BeigeJacket posted:

That leaked S42 script is great - I'm surprised it hasn't been mined more for thread content.

Pretty much confirms Roberts has seen Star Wars and a few eps of Battlestar Galactica a bunch of times, and absolutely nothing else.

I like that Pusher is the 2nd best pilot. And is only referred to by that name twice throughout the entire script.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

S42 posted:

[Player]: "I'm fine, I just need to get to the foundry..."
[Pilot 02]: "The foundry? Its hell up there, you'd be better off hiding down here with me."

Whats Chris trying to tell us?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A lot of what we're seeing in terms of "progress" is easily produced fluff. It's easy to hire an artist to make a picture, have an amateur bang out a piece of terrible fiction, or to have two people sit in front of a camera and awkwardly talk about nothing. CIG does these things because they can occur in a vacuum and deliver a lot of "content" for little in the way of time or talent. It's all a giant farce while the actual developers struggle to produce anything while drowning in over half a decade of lovely code and half-assed implementation all while dealing with Chris constantly changing direction and demanding they drop everything to produce a demo. The actual hard stuff like networking, gameplay, optimization, and physics are constantly pushed back or hacked together so that the backers have something to play with. In the context of developing an actual product it seems insane, but in the context of trying to keep a struggling project afloat while hiding the truth from the backers it makes perfect sense.

Don't look at the terrible videos, lovely writing, or constant deluge of new ship sales and concept art in the context of game development. Look at it in the context of a company desperate to present the image of success while dealing with the reality of failure.

^ This

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Been gone from watching this project since last years Citizencon.

Trying to go to the SC forums, and I met with that new interface.

Why in the name of Cthulhu is an online forum thread structured like reddit?

Can I change it back?

I cannot imagine that the online community for that game likes the new forums look..do they?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Dante80 posted:

Can I change it back?

I cannot imagine that the online community for that game likes the new forums look..do they?

Welcome to Spectrum :allears:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Dante80 posted:

Can I change it back?

It's deserted enough, this single thread is the 2nd biggest community for Star Citizen. But 40k a day yes sure.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017
Received a reply from the ACCC

quote:

Thank you for writing to us about your software purchase. We have recorded the details of your report. We can offer you information about your consumer rights and how to resolve a dispute with a business.
Resolving your dispute with an overseas supplier
The first thing you should do is write to the supplier. If writing to the supplier doesn't resolve your problem, you should contact the Federal Trade Commission in the United States, where the software company is based.
Your rights: shopping online
All your usual consumer rights apply when you shop with an Australian online business.
Our view is that the Australian Consumer Law also applies when you buy from an overseas online business. However, if a problem arises with your purchase, you might experience practical difficulties in obtaining a remedy from them because they are not based in Australia.
Online businesses selling goods and services must:
• ensure products and services meet Australian safety regulations
• not mislead you or hide costs and other details from you
• compete fairly to ensure a variety of choices on quality and price
• give you automatic guarantees with the right to obtain a remedy if there is a problem
• have the right to sell you a product–it mustn’t be stolen and must belong to the business or individual, without any outstanding debts.
We have recorded your report
We appreciate you reporting your matter to us. All information is potentially valuable to help us identify trends and where we can most effectively direct our resources, so we encourage you to report any behaviour or business practice that is concerning to you.
What the ACCC does with information from reports
The ACCC focuses on enforcing the laws we administer in circumstances that have the potential to harm the competitive process or result in widespread consumer or business detriment. We use reports received from the public and small business, as well as other sources of intelligence, to inform our work. When the ACCC takes action, it is to remedy market problems; we are not a complaint handling body and don’t resolve individual disputes. You can read more about how we prioritise our work and what we can and can't do for consumers on our website.
We hope the information we have provided today will help you to resolve your dispute.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Dante80 posted:

Can I change it back?
No, no backsies.

quote:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/376793/forums-get-closed-in-7-days

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.
I don't even care if Freddie PJ is 40k deep in SC. He's been married to the ultra hotness Buffy (SMG) for like 15 years. He could fall down an exceptionally long flight of stairs in to a big steaming pile of poo poo covered Wing Commander floppy disks and I'd still be jealous.

I mean so would Ben but for totally different reasons :lesnick:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'd love to hear the explanation of all the development time spent on spectrum, a complex and universally hated replacement for an entirely functional system that added nothing what so ever to the game itself.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Chalks posted:

I'd love to hear the explanation of all the development time spent on spectrum, a complex and universally hated replacement for an entirely functional system that added nothing what so ever to the game itself.

Robert Space is an idiot. This response covers all contingencies.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
There could also be that the guy is a professionnal and do not badmouth former employers until well the project has crashed and burned.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Chalks posted:

When Crobblers presentation in the CitCon '16 focused for hour(s ? ) on Spectrum, you just knew that this was the only thing that they were really working on. Other than the last minute demos and ship promos that is (and patching Star Marine together to be barely functional).

The fact that of all the stuff that they have on their list, they choose to focus on the least important ones or completely unnecessary ones -- and as such the least affected by the collective dreaming of whales and Crobbert -- shows that there's a lot of confusion in their development process and goals.

And they have no project management to rescue them.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68S9Xmk0jlQ

:allears:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Spectrum got done because it was given to an outside company. They wanted​ to finish and get paid and so did what they were asked for.

Unlike anything CRoberts is involved in.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Oh boy I sure am glad they're selling ANOTHER torpedo ship, considering how well everything here works!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Chalks posted:

The problem with those pesky RSI forums was that people kept quoting them back at CIG's staff. Certain regrettable elements kept taking various "promises" and "remarks" made a number of years previously as if they were binding. CIG staff actually found themselves confronted with the words of their past selves and colleagues, and expected to respond to them!

The atmosphere in the RSI forums was getting quite explosive towards the end. Backers were angry., heavy-handed moderation was becoming more and more obvious to keep them in line, and "moved to concern" was a meme here. CIG couldn't keep the old forums under control, and the old forum software made it easy to see when posts and threads had been deleted or buried in the Concern forum. Let's not forget the old CIG stunt of moving a critical thread to Concern, then immediately locking it because all Concern forum threads had to have polls.

Whereas the new Spectrum makes it far smoother to simply disappear a pesky rabble-rouser and their threads, with no evidence at all. Even better Spectrum isn't public; only confirmed backers who are committed to the project (read: unlikely to embarrass CIG by complaining too hard) can even read them. With the single click of a mouse a moderator can not only banish a FUD-spreader, they can wipe out their posts AND ensure the target can't even read the discussion afterwards.

Spectrum was created to shut the RSI forums up because they were getting so critical they were putting the funding pipeline at risk. No more, no less.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cool they can work on matching the controls up with this now

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC0Tmf5geIs

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6d8sp6/i_hope_there_is_an_incentive_to_turning_off/

:allears:

Croberts will have to slow down combat speed a little more for this to work

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot

Chalks posted:

they believe its going to connect to the game somehow

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm just going to jury-rig an electrolytic cell out of laser ammo packs and the sewage waste water, so I can make some oxygen after my air tanks were hit by a stray round from a battle on the other side of the solar system

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6d8rf3/so_when_should_backers_expect_the_repayment_for/

a bunch of citizens now deny the docking collar ever existed.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
bear grylls style, breathing my own piss

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

DarkRefreshment posted:

I don't even care if Freddie PJ is 40k deep in SC. He's been married to the ultra hotness Buffy (SMG) for like 15 years. He could fall down an exceptionally long flight of stairs in to a big steaming pile of poo poo covered Wing Commander floppy disks and I'd still be jealous.

I mean so would Ben but for totally different reasons :lesnick:
If I was married to SuperMechagodzilla for fifteen years I'm pretty sure I'd kill myself. Probably wouldn't make it to fifteen.

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot
that's a fitting way to bookend my previous post thank you.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
glad i could help, spacefriend :tipshat:

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Chalks posted:

Likely because building Spectrum was a thing they could accomplish without reckoning with their Liberian mountain of technical/design debt.

XxXCaptainNoxXxX
May 18, 2017

by zen death robot
Can we make this reddit post the new title

quote:

If they are now heavily cutting features, it means we are closer to release then expected.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

For a company that says no new ships are going to ship with the game, they sure seem to be putting out a lot of flight ready new ships while original ships are still not ready.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Honestly, if someone wants to actually archive Derek's BS, good on them. I don't know why they would want to specifically, because I don't think it is an important thing to do. Maybe for lol's? r/ds is not an archive.

This latest dry spell is driving me up the wall.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Rugganovich posted:

Received a reply from the ACCC

I'm interested to know how this turns out. I was a huge idiot and bought 200USD's worth of .jpeg space guns in a similar game, Eternal Crusade. I'm waiting a few months on that one, though, because the terms and conditions gave them a year to put my items in the game after release. The ACCC website mentions delivery has to take place 'within a reasonable timeframe' and I reckon that initial agreement is my best argument as to what's reasonable

I'll chuck an email at the ACCC at the end of September

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

D_Smart posted:

It's rubbish. I wrote an article about it earlier today.

None of this matters because it is highly unlikely that they're going to be around long enough to even get to that sort of thing. In my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Clearly he means $20, since he bought platinum to get the super secret messages and the hidden ops forums...

...Obey...

You moron.