Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

My favorite thing about the main motif from Rogue One is that it sounds like it's leading into The Force Theme/Binary Sunset but steps away from it at the last moment. It teases it heavily, saying "very soon... but not yet". It's perfect for a movie that leads directly into A New Hope.

I thought this too, with the entire score. It feels like it wanted to lead into Binary Sunset or the Imperial March, then it doesn't. It felt kind of jarring at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

aBagorn posted:

I feel like both new SW scores work better independent of the films.

I watched Rogue One and was disappointed with Giacchino. But listening to it on its own it really is fine work

Agreed. It's odd, but the score does seem to work better on its own than in the film. In the movie, the music is overpowering when it shouldn't be and lost behind other layers of audio when it should be front and center.

The three suites - Jyn Erso & Hope, Guardians Of The Whills, and The Imperial Suite - aren't directly played in-movie except during the end credits, but each are excellent standalone pieces like Williams did with his full standalone themes. The Imperial Suite, including Krennic's theme, is gloriously catchy.

I'm really glad Giachhino worked in the Imperial motif from ANH in a few places, but I wish it had been used more throughout the movie and given a full-blown treatment as THE Imperial theme of the film except in a couple of cases when the Imperial March should be used specifically for Vader.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0ZTTeTr-YQ

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
watched BLOOD FEAST (1963) last night, directed by Herschell Gordon Lewis who also made the music for it. Other than the soundtrack being dope as gently caress I was amused by this review on Letterboxd:

quote:

Blood Feast sourced track titles from the soundtrack compilation, "The Eye-Popping Sounds of Herschell Gordon Lewis":
-Tragic Kettledrums
-Eyes gouged out
-Legs Cut Off
-Fuad Ramses Exotic Catering Service
-Brains Knocked Out
-Tongue Torn Out
-Ancient Weird Religious Rites
-Trudy Is Sacrificed To Ishtar
-A Fitting Death For The Garbage He Was

This may have also served as the shooting script.

Spoilered for the people who want to go into the movie blind.

This is the only piece of music from it I can find on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXebx8YurDY

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

I love that movie and book, great tension.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

got any sevens posted:

I love that movie and book, great tension.

I found the movie absolutely hilarious when I watched it last night. It's just funny until the halfway point, where it becomes nuts. As one person put it, "By the end of the scene in the meeting room, I was convinced that I too was a Nazi conspirator." That's not to say I wasn't impressed by a lot of the stuntwork, or the way the movie's last hour is just one continuous action scene. And that score rivals anything today.

I found it surprising that apparently no one has attempted a direct remake in fifty years.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

dont even fink about it posted:

I found it surprising that apparently no one has attempted a direct remake in fifty years.

Please don't jinx it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I have to imagine the only reason they haven't remade Where Eagles Dare is that it has barely any name recognition in the US.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So Hans Zimmer is touring and performed at Coachella and the setlist is amazing.

Over the course of the evening, Zimmer was also joined by two special guests: South African musician Lebo M., who collaborated with Zimmer on The Lion King soundtrack, and composer James Newton Howard, who worked on The Dark Knight trilogy.

Driving / Discombobulate / Zoosters Breakout (Driving Miss Daisy, Sherlock Holmes and Madagascar)
Roll Tide (Crimson Tide)
160 BPM (Angels & Demons)

The Wheat (Gladiator)
The Battle (Gladiator)
Elysium (Gladiator)
Now We Are Free (Gladiator)

Chevaliers de Sangreal (The Da Vinci Code)

Circle of life (prelude) (The Lion King)
This Land (The Lion King)
Circle of Life (ending) (The Lion King)

Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean)
One Day (Pirates of the Caribbean)
Up Is Down (Pirates of the Caribbean)
He’s a Pirate (Pirates of the Caribbean)

You’re So Cool (True Romance)
Main Theme (Rain Man)
What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World? (Man of Steel)
Is She With You? (Wonder Woman Theme) (Batman vs Superman: Dawn Of Justice)
Journey to the Line (The Thin Red Line)
The Electro Suite (The Amazing Spider-Man 2)

Why So Serious? (The Dark Knight Trilogy)
Like a Dog Chasing Cars / Why Do We Fall? / Introduce a Little Anarchy (The Dark Knight Trilogy)
Bane Theme (The Dark Knight Trilogy)

Aurora (Aurora)

Day One (Interstellar)
Where We’re Going (Interstellar)
No Time For Caution (Interstellar)
Stay (Interstellar)

Dream Is Collapsing (Inception)
Mombasa (Inception)
Time (Inception)

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 16, 2017

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
What, no "Countrylypso"?
:mad:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Is "His" an actual song or did you copy-paste one word more than you intended? :v:

I really want to to hear that opening medley.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Is "His" an actual song or did you copy-paste one word more than you intended? :v:

I really want to to hear that opening medley.

Oops

Deleted

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I flew to L.A. and saw him on Friday and it was one of the best concerts I've seen live (and I've seen Williams -with- Spielberg announcing for him and say it even topped seeing him conduct) - mainly because he turned his scores into crazy prog rock insanity.

Also, he's on the stream now at Coachella: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zlqov8vivE

Darko fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 17, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Oh, and James Newton Howard showed up at the L.A. show as well, which was an awesome surprise.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

For those who missed it, here's part of the Inception suite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv4LfRJXf5w

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
Good [Star] Lord, the score for Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 is great. Much like the first one, Tyler Bates finds the perfect mix of bombastic, emotional, and thematic. It's good, fun movie music at its best.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Just to bring about some new discussion: I've found a new appreciation for Michael Giacchino's Jurassic World score. He apes Williams quite a bit with his use of woodwinds and brass, but I really like how he spins the style in new directions.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I love the new Jurassic World theme, but that's also where he tends to shine the most (often repeating themes too much).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Darko posted:

I love the new Jurassic World theme, but that's also where he tends to shine the most (often repeating themes too much).

I think that tends to happen when he takes on way too many projects at one time. The Star Trek Into Darkness score, for example, is beautiful, and incredibly nuanced, whereas both its predecessor and Beyond are carbon copies of one another.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
He does that a lot too. I remember when he had Up, Star Trek, and Land of the Lost all within like a month of each other. (Land of the Lost even features a nod to the Up score in perhaps it's funniest gag)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Timby posted:

Just to bring about some new discussion: I've found a new appreciation for Michael Giacchino's Jurassic World score. He apes Williams quite a bit with his use of woodwinds and brass, but I really like how he spins the style in new directions.

I'll never be able to divorce him from the Medal of Honor series, despite all the awesome work he's done since. Nothing will top that Frontline score.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'll never be able to divorce him from the Medal of Honor series, despite all the awesome work he's done since. Nothing will top that Frontline score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLiRgNFvfGw

I played that game and I didn't realize the lyrics were Dutch until years afterwards...
In my defense, it's not being sung a choir of native speakers.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Say what you will about the actual movie, but I absolutely love The Village soundtrack. The violin especially just hits all the right notes for me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

VaultAggie posted:

Say what you will about the actual movie, but I absolutely love The Village soundtrack. The violin especially just hits all the right notes for me.

Yeah, I like the movie okay and I think it has one of the best James Newton-Howard scores I've heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ro4FHd51t4

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Timby posted:

I think that tends to happen when he takes on way too many projects at one time. The Star Trek Into Darkness score, for example, is beautiful, and incredibly nuanced, whereas both its predecessor and Beyond are carbon copies of one another.

I disagree
Beyond was probably his apex of star trek scores
If anything Zootopia/Roge One/Dr Strange suffered more that year

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

VaultAggie posted:

Completely agree. I love the short violin section in Those We Do Not Speak Of.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So Hans Zimmer is touring and performed at Coachella and the setlist is amazing.

Over the course of the evening, Zimmer was also joined by two special guests: South African musician Lebo M., who collaborated with Zimmer on The Lion King soundtrack, and composer James Newton Howard, who worked on The Dark Knight trilogy.

Driving / Discombobulate / Zoosters Breakout (Driving Miss Daisy, Sherlock Holmes and Madagascar)
Roll Tide (Crimson Tide)
160 BPM (Angels & Demons)

The Wheat (Gladiator)
The Battle (Gladiator)
Elysium (Gladiator)
Now We Are Free (Gladiator)

Chevaliers de Sangreal (The Da Vinci Code)

Circle of life (prelude) (The Lion King)
This Land (The Lion King)
Circle of Life (ending) (The Lion King)

Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean)
One Day (Pirates of the Caribbean)
Up Is Down (Pirates of the Caribbean)
He’s a Pirate (Pirates of the Caribbean)

You’re So Cool (True Romance)
Main Theme (Rain Man)
What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World? (Man of Steel)
Is She With You? (Wonder Woman Theme) (Batman vs Superman: Dawn Of Justice)
Journey to the Line (The Thin Red Line)
The Electro Suite (The Amazing Spider-Man 2)

Why So Serious? (The Dark Knight Trilogy)
Like a Dog Chasing Cars / Why Do We Fall? / Introduce a Little Anarchy (The Dark Knight Trilogy)
Bane Theme (The Dark Knight Trilogy)

Aurora (Aurora)

Day One (Interstellar)
Where We’re Going (Interstellar)
No Time For Caution (Interstellar)
Stay (Interstellar)

Dream Is Collapsing (Inception)
Mombasa (Inception)
Time (Inception)

Just saw this live in Brisbane, Australia and holy poo poo, this was an incredible show. The Electro Suite is probably one of my favourite things I've seen live, ever, and considering how absolutely lovely that movie was it's even more incredible.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I was reminded that this is so awesome. What happened to Goldenthal? I haven't seen him score anything particularly notable in recent times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDqhEa7HUl4

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Goldenthal is mainly a contemporary classical composer and a film composer second. He just focuses more on concert works.

Unsurprising considering his mentors (Corigliano and Copland).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ComposerGuy posted:

Goldenthal is mainly a contemporary classical composer and a film composer second. He just focuses more on concert works.

Unsurprising considering his mentors (Corigliano and Copland).

Also, Julie Taymor has made so much goddamn money in her career that neither of them have to work another day in their lives.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Been on an Ennio Morricone kick for a little bit. This is Deborah's Theme from Once Upon a Time In America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3UTb34_3JQ

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Was pleasantly surprised to see Daniel Pemberton's name pop up as the music credit for Guy Ritchie's (not bad) King Arthur. A long ways back Pemberton did the music for The Movies, a game about running your own studio and making little mini movies, so it was all sound-alikes and genre riffs; after support for the game kinda fizzled out, the music was sold to some outfit or another (I wanna say BMG) and gets licensed out as stock cues now and again (I hear it on Archer sometimes.) Anyway he's done a lot since then and does a fine job here.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Daniel Pemberton also did the score for this year's Gold, which I enjoyed so much that I made a Spotify playlist with all the songs (score + licensed) in order of appearance. Here it is. I can't seem to find any of the songs on YouTube, otherwise I would link to a song called "The Ring of Fire I - The Prospector". If you're into heist/spy music you'll love that one (the same goes for "The New York Jungle").

What's up with soundtrack albums not having the tracks in order of appearance anyway? Don't the composers have creative control over that kind of thing?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just saw Cars 3 and was very surprised when the credits came up that the score was by Randy Newman. I didn't know he did scores and it was very well done, lots of it didn't sound like him at all. Has he scored other Pixar films?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I just saw Cars 3 and was very surprised when the credits came up that the score was by Randy Newman. I didn't know he did scores and it was very well done, lots of it didn't sound like him at all. Has he scored other Pixar films?

He was Pixar's go-to guy in the early days. All three Toy Stories, Monsters Inc. and University, Bug's Life, the first Cars, and maybe one other, I forget.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Timby posted:

He was Pixar's go-to guy in the early days. All three Toy Stories, Monsters Inc. and University, Bug's Life, the first Cars, and maybe one other, I forget.

Wow. I knew he was doing the original songs, I somehow never put together he was doing the actual scores.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Stare-Out posted:

I was reminded that this is so awesome. What happened to Goldenthal? I haven't seen him score anything particularly notable in recent times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDqhEa7HUl4

Goldenthal's score to Batman Forever is one of my favorite comic book movie scores. He claimed he was aiming to make it sound like the kind of theme that a kid might hum to themselves if they were playing Batman in the back yard, and drat he nailed it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
First track from upcoming Dunkirk is released and it's in my opinion pretty dope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1VJ39nVIBk

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Randy has been writing scores for film since the early 70s. TV in the 60s.

James and the Giant Peach, Seabiscuit, Pleasentville, Avalon....

He's easily the most diversely prolific of the Newman Family of composers. His orchestral style is influenced by Elmer Bernstein and if you want an Americana sound in your score, he's you guy (though for a while there he arguably shared that distinction with, oddly enough, Rachel Portman, who is English. But she sort of dropped off the Hollywood map in the late 2000s).

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Randy's most historically famous score piece is probably The Natural - and was actually the first time I "noticed" him at all as a kid.