Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

SpaceViking posted:

Hotaru looks really nasty, I can see a few combos right now, especially with Duelist Training. Duels also look like you can pull some real poo poo on your opponent.

Looks like a fair trade off those as if you are winning Duels you are losing honor.
They are really able to pressure a win by Honor or by Political Conflicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

LordNat posted:

Looks like a fair trade off those as if you are winning Duels you are losing honor.
They are really able to pressure a win by Honor or by Political Conflicts.

You can also use them as ways to gain honor. That military duelist guy honored will have a duel stat of 5. If your opponent does not have anyone with high military they are pretty much forced to bid a lot or send everyone else home. You can then just not bid, send the military guy home, and gain a bunch of honor.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Pash posted:

You can also use them as ways to gain honor. That military duelist guy honored will have a duel stat of 5. If your opponent does not have anyone with high military they are pretty much forced to bid a lot or send everyone else home. You can then just not bid, send the military guy home, and gain a bunch of honor.

Honor bids are going to be the hardest part to master. So many games are going to come down to bidding too much or too little honor in the first few turns.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Give me the goddamned Phoenix spoilers!

I am concerned that they are going to have to wait for good spells, and therefore not strong at release.

If that is true, I guess I play Scorpion at the release event.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there a trick to telling when a card is conflict deck vs. dynasty deck? I'm not immediately seeing the visual cue that tells me Steward of Law is conflict while Hotaru is dynasty.

edit: from the front sides, obviously when we have the cards the backs will tell, but i need to know during spoiler seasons!

LordNat
May 16, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

Is there a trick to telling when a card is conflict deck vs. dynasty deck? I'm not immediately seeing the visual cue that tells me Steward of Law is conflict while Hotaru is dynasty.

edit: from the front sides, obviously when we have the cards the backs will tell, but i need to know during spoiler seasons!

If you look in the lower right the card will have a D or a C on it, in the copyright line area. Also if it has the bamboo influence icons it is in the Conflict Deck.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

dexefiend posted:

I am concerned that they are going to have to wait for good spells, and therefore not strong at release.

I estimate Phoenix and Dragon will be underpowered since they are focused on a type of card that won't have a terribly deep card pool. That being said, Tau in Conquest core was solidly B-tier and never got anything as good as the Ion Rifle again, so who knows?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I missed it, how does dueling work?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Both players take up the honour dial and select a number, then reveal. Higher revealed number pays the difference in honour to the lower revealed number. Then add respective numbers to the relevant stat and determine winner.

Was revealed in the Reddit AMA.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If we've played the absolute hell out of the Warhammer card game and wish there was more of it, is LotR a reasonable place to turn? We love co-op, love card-based, and are "enjoyed the movies" LotR fans.

I know there's a ton of it, and I know that doesn't always swing in the game's favor. I know LotR is a deck builder vs Warhammer's static abilities, which isn't a problem. I guess just, like, is the game actually good? Is it an OK time to jump in, or is the whole thing a huge mess by now?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'd say Arkham LCG is the better bet, as Warhammer is in a design space somewhere between LotR and Arkham LCG. Unless you want a fantasy theme with sword and magic combat, the Arkham LCG is the 3rd gen of that coop card game system, and the open action system is better IMO than the old school card based play of LotR. LotR is much more about building decks to tackle a given scenario whereas Arkham is much lighter on the deck planning ahead of time and more forgiving with failing (you don't "lose" a quest, you continue on with a failure changing your outcome, etc). LotR is still great though, and the wealth and depth of content shouldn't be ignored if you're into that fantasy style and deck building.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There aren't many quests that require tailoring any more (most of the ones that do are early releases), especially when playing co-op (two player is generally the easiest mode).

You're going to want to proxy stuff instead of buying up every release with a decent hero/attachment you want right away, though.

The saga campaign is good.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Someone help me out, how many cards can we expect the Crane or any other faction to have in their faction in the core set, based on past LCG cores with comparable numbers of factions like Netrunner and WH40K?

I.E., is today's preview all or most of the Crane?

Much thanks to LordNat for the help on previous btw.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bottom Liner posted:

Any chance you can get me Miskatonic Museum and the newest (Undimensioned & Unseen)? I'll pay for your time and shipping.

http://desertskygames.crystalcommerce.com/catalog/arkham_horror_lcg/16893?filter_by_stock=in-stock

Got it in stock here

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sweet, if you want to email me at defeldus @ gmail.com we can arrange the details.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bottom Liner posted:

Sweet, if you want to email me at defeldus @ gmail.com we can arrange the details.

Sorry to disappoint, but I was thinking they could ship it to you instead. Unfortunately I got so much going on right now that I can't find the time to go buy it and drop it in the mail :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, their site says in store pick up only. All good, I'll find it eventually.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

SuperKlaus posted:

Someone help me out, how many cards can we expect the Crane or any other faction to have in their faction in the core set, based on past LCG cores with comparable numbers of factions like Netrunner and WH40K?

I.E., is today's preview all or most of the Crane?

Much thanks to LordNat for the help on previous btw.

We have likely seen a fair check of their kit at this point.
I think we are missing 1 Province and maybe a conflict card or two.

in 2 weeks we will get another spoiler like this likely for Lion. After that I think we will have the cards for test games.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
I picked up two core sets of Arkham Horror LCG and my play group absolutely loved it. The problem is that we're almost done with the first campaign and we're looking at getting the Dunwich Legacy box but I can't find it in stock anywhere. There are a few on Amazon but they're price gouging it pretty hard (around $50 after shipping).

Is it because it's older and out of print or is there just a limited supply that gets scooped up when they reprint? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the higher cost or will there be another wave? Also is it like the core set in that I need multiple copies to get all the relevant cards?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

I'd say Arkham LCG is the better bet, as Warhammer is in a design space somewhere between LotR and Arkham LCG. Unless you want a fantasy theme with sword and magic combat, the Arkham LCG is the 3rd gen of that coop card game system, and the open action system is better IMO than the old school card based play of LotR. LotR is much more about building decks to tackle a given scenario whereas Arkham is much lighter on the deck planning ahead of time and more forgiving with failing (you don't "lose" a quest, you continue on with a failure changing your outcome, etc). LotR is still great though, and the wealth and depth of content shouldn't be ignored if you're into that fantasy style and deck building.

Thanks for the reply. How closely does Arkham hew to Mansions of Madness, 2nd ed? After playing the first scenario and about half the last, it hasn't made it back out to the table (I think mostly my wife bounced off the combat system)?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

I picked up two core sets of Arkham Horror LCG and my play group absolutely loved it. The problem is that we're almost done with the first campaign and we're looking at getting the Dunwich Legacy box but I can't find it in stock anywhere. There are a few on Amazon but they're price gouging it pretty hard (around $50 after shipping).

Is it because it's older and out of print or is there just a limited supply that gets scooped up when they reprint? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the higher cost or will there be another wave? Also is it like the core set in that I need multiple copies to get all the relevant cards?

It's just sold out at the distro level, it'll get another print run

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

The supply side of things has been really slow, so it's more a matter of limited supply than it being old. Dunwich Legacy is less than six months old--the game itself is barely six months old.

They seem to be getting another print run out now-ish. My store just got a few copies in last week, but I don't remember if that was from the distributor that manages to find copies of out-of-print items lurking in their warehouse because they're so disorganized, or if that came from one of the major distributors who are better about off-loading things when they're more presently relative.

My suggestion would be to wait, unless you're really jonesing for the box that hard.

As for how many copies, just one is enough. Everything after the core set comes with at least two copies of every card (a full playset for one person) which is really all you need.

Also come give the Arkham Horror LCG-specific thread some love!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

They seem to be getting another print run out now-ish.

And not ten minutes after posting this one of my front-end folks informed me that Dunwich Legacy was changed over to "shipping" status which means it's coming back in stock at the distribution level.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

As for how many copies, just one is enough. Everything after the core set comes with at least two copies of every card (a full playset for one person) which is really all you need.

Also come give the Arkham Horror LCG-specific thread some love!

Thanks for the information, I'm checking out that thread. I usually buy all the LCG stuff for my play group so that we have enough for 4 people to play whatever they want so I may have to pick up two if there's only a playset for one player.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

dexefiend posted:

You'll have to wait a LONG time for good spells...

LordNat posted:

Honor bids are going to be the hardest part to master. So many games are going to come down to bidding too much or too little honor in the first few turns.
My experience was that the typical bid was usually 1-2. Early on you were allowed to bid zero, but they changed that. Maybe with more folks playing the meta will change, but I really think people are seriously overestimating how much honor people get. People seemed to be super cautious about dumping a ton of honor on other people with the dial.

GrandpaPants posted:

I estimate Phoenix and Dragon will be underpowered since they are focused on a type of card that won't have a terribly deep card pool. That being said, Tau in Conquest core was solidly B-tier and never got anything as good as the Ion Rifle again, so who knows?
Dragon were actually extremely strong and ended up getting a few things nerfed/changed. They still should be solid performers.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Dragon we're always more martial than mystic, with monk Kihos augmenting. Phoenix were the ones that would fluctuate between unplayable and broken depending on spells.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

alansmithee posted:

You'll have to wait a LONG time for good spells...

I dont want good spells, i want the Black Scrolls!

#CorruptPhoenixRiseAgain

I dont know if i can get my head around military battles and duels not killing a single person, but I am going to really give this a go. We have a group of 4 going to Gencon just to play this game.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
#MakePhoenixGreatAgain

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Any idea on how long it takes for reprinted LOTR LCG adventure packs to be available after their status is changed to "Shipping Now"? I've been waiting over a half a year to pick up a couple of major packs from the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle and saw that their status was just updated 10 days ago.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MeinPanzer posted:

Any idea on how long it takes for reprinted LOTR LCG adventure packs to be available after their status is changed to "Shipping Now"? I've been waiting over a half a year to pick up a couple of major packs from the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle and saw that their status was just updated 10 days ago.

2-3 weeks is typical

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

sassassin posted:

2-3 weeks is typical

Great. Now they just have to hurry up with reprinting the Dwarrowdelf cycle and I'll be able to get all the main packs I need for the near future...

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Legacy and the Core set are both back in stock at CSI. http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/233370

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Been playing the LOTR game with starter decks single player. I managed to draw my entire hand with the mono-Lore deck and still lost the first mission on the first act. I wasn't able to get ahead of the spider spawns (even though I had snared Ungoliant's Spawn). Lost by hitting 50 threat. Fun game.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

GreenMarine posted:

Been playing the LOTR game with starter decks single player. I managed to draw my entire hand with the mono-Lore deck and still lost the first mission on the first act. I wasn't able to get ahead of the spider spawns (even though I had snared Ungoliant's Spawn). Lost by hitting 50 threat. Fun game.

The starter decks are pretty bad at dealing with single player. You might want to try playing two-handed, or build your own multi-colored deck that has a mixture of questing and fighting.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I have a silvan deck that pounds 90% of quests into the dirt but it can still get obliterated first turn of the campaign with the wrong cards drawn out of the encounter deck (and a failed Hide test).

The game's just a son of a bitch sometimes.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
VS System is really big at my LGS. I bought the Aliens set because I want to face-hug some superheroes and do Alien stuff with my Alien buds. I hear Deadpool is great to pair the Aliens with, which sounds like a fun time because I'm not a huge Marvel fan but I like Deadpool. Anyone have any advice?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I submitted my wishlist at 1100, and didn't make it into the L5R events.

Guess I'm not going to Gencon.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Really? There is so much going on I can't wrap my mind around cancelling everything over one event.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

How drunk can we get and still manage to demo games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Carteret posted:

Really? There is so much going on I can't wrap my mind around cancelling everything over one event.

[e/n]There were 5 things in my cart, and i got into none of them. Why would i want to use 2 days of vacation, 4 days away from my kids, and spend $300 to just hang out?

I am just a little dejected that i did everything right, and didnt get into any events.

:negative: