Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So there are kinds of enemies who will attack your base? Or it's just dangerous to build and get in and out?

My only experience with bases has been right next to the creepvine forest close to where you start, where the worst you have to worry about is shanking the occasional shark on your way out to go to work, so I don't know much about putting them in more exotic places

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To my knowledge nothing will yet attack the base deliberately, it's just a pain in the arse cos they will go for you and your vehicles.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Yeah the tiger plants will attempt to shoot you in your base unless they patched it out. Otherwise the most common issue is bumping your sub into it, so make sure you have an easy approach/exit for fast entry.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Digirat posted:

thanks for the tip on where to get the room, I have no idea where the island is but I think I found the purple glowing mushroom cave. I did not find it when I last played the game. it looks really cool, but I didn't do anything there because it was full of scary giant worms and little bitey shits, and I had no submarine for air to spend longer than a minute in there. Would making a base there just be hubris?

Building a series of powered bases is a perfectly acceptable alternative to a submarine. If you're crazy. Like I am.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any suggestions for interesting, but still somewhat useful places to build a main base in the early to mid game? Actively avoiding playing the game at this point till it's done, but i like to gently caress around and build bases.

I found a real neato place under the floating island (500m under it, so not before you have a Cyclops). Lots of heat sources, pretty surroundings and close proximity to the floating island which is helpful for food, relaxation and spoilery reasons.

Edit: Actually thinking about it it's not actually a very useful spot i guess, but its pretty!

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 24, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Building bases in pretty places is my favorite thing. If only the game let me have resources in amounts that are useful for that without having to cheat them in.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Dongattack posted:

Any suggestions for interesting, but still somewhat useful places to build a main base in the early to mid game? Actively avoiding playing the game at this point till it's done, but i like to gently caress around and build bases.

I found a real neato place under the floating island (500m under it, so not before you have a Cyclops). Lots of heat sources, pretty surroundings and close proximity to the floating island which is helpful for food, relaxation and spoilery reasons.

Edit: Actually thinking about it it's not actually a very useful spot i guess, but its pretty!

I had fun with an early game base on the island that also has that alien fortress thing; well, it was fun except that when going to the shallows I'd sometimes get followed by a reaper :gonk:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Dongattack posted:

If you want efficiency, there's thermal vents/geysers north, south, or west of the starting pod that make excellent bases since you'll spend less time traversing the map if your base is near center.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jesus christ getting out the Lost River is impossible with the Prawn Suit. You cannot see anything above you once you get into the blood kept forest and there's a Warper hanging out there that keeps pulling me out when I think I'm about to get out.

The Prawn Suit has that thing with jump jets in games that happens where it thrusts, but doesn't actually move.

Oh seriously gently caress YOU stupid warper. Warps me out, prawn suit falls back down, climb up more, warped out, falls down again. Then As I am finally getting out of the deepend, it just straight up attacks and destroyed the prawn suit.

It's like that one warper was designed to purely keep people from getting out of the Deep River.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 25, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just got my first cyclops - this is a disappointing piece of arse for all the effort that goes into building it. I get that it's big and unwieldy, but it seems to attract enemies like an aquarium attracts algae, getting damaged creates fires which are an annoying distraction while trying to get away from the hostile, and I constantly feel like I'm driving blind even with the cameras.

I'll probably park it outside my main base until I can get my hands on a sonar and defensive upgrade, I guess.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

double nine posted:

I just got my first cyclops - this is a disappointing piece of arse for all the effort that goes into building it. I get that it's big and unwieldy, but it seems to attract enemies like an aquarium attracts algae, getting damaged creates fires which are an annoying distraction while trying to get away from the hostile, and I constantly feel like I'm driving blind even with the cameras.

I'll probably park it outside my main base until I can get my hands on a sonar and defensive upgrade, I guess.

I'm doing my first playthrough and have to agree that the constant enemy attention is a bit annoying. It'd be nice if the radar and warnings indicated the size of the creatures. Getting surrounded by creatures is worrying only because I don't know if they're bone sharks or reapers until I take the time to go have a look. So far its best use has just been as a way to ferry the Prawn Suit around the map and store some food for longer trips. I keep it near the surface, hit full speed and then just descend over my target.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

double nine posted:

Bat Ham posted:

I'm doing my first playthrough and have to agree that the constant enemy attention is a bit annoying. It'd be nice if the radar and warnings indicated the size of the creatures. Getting surrounded by creatures is worrying only because I don't know if they're bone sharks or reapers until I take the time to go have a look. So far its best use has just been as a way to ferry the Prawn Suit around the map and store some food for longer trips. I keep it near the surface, hit full speed and then just descend over my target.

Hope you guys like the cyclops taking damage, it was a much-requested feature that makes gameplay more immersive and realistic and is totally wanted by the entire forum base so they just put it in last patch.

Just ignore the details like the hull being made out of titanium or the fact that creatures smaller than a sub don't actually attack them 99% of the time.

Realism.

So realistic.

Eat every five minutes or starve bitch.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They should do a survey/poll on how to balance the game, but then add in a question like "Do you believe other players should be forced to play with hunger/thirst turned on?"

If they answer is yes, invalidate their vote.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The Cyclops taking damage was always in the plans. In experimental they're changing it so that small scrapes will auto repair themselves so you don't have to jump outside after every bump.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

twistedmentat posted:

Jesus christ getting out the Lost River is impossible with the Prawn Suit. You cannot see anything above you once you get into the blood kept forest and there's a Warper hanging out there that keeps pulling me out when I think I'm about to get out.

The Prawn Suit has that thing with jump jets in games that happens where it thrusts, but doesn't actually move.

Oh seriously gently caress YOU stupid warper. Warps me out, prawn suit falls back down, climb up more, warped out, falls down again. Then As I am finally getting out of the deepend, it just straight up attacks and destroyed the prawn suit.

It's like that one warper was designed to purely keep people from getting out of the Deep River.

If you have the grappling hook you can latch onto something above you and when you get a bit of upward momentum hit the jets and it will fly you up pretty high. I found you can get out of the lower areas with a bit of patience. The jump jet upgrade helps a tonne though. Also you can grapple onto warpers and drill them. Makes them teleport away. I still poo poo myself anytime i get warped though.

Oh and a standard hull upgrade chip in your Prawn Suit. Helps!

double nine posted:

I love the Cyclops, but people in the thread seem to dislike it. I don't have a problem with the creatures though, I just run at emergency speed and if a red blip appears on the radar just slam it into silent running till the creature is gone. They can be literally on a collision course with you but as soon as you go silent they bump into you without any harm.

Edit: Oh an yeah if you can get the sonar it helps a tonne and it looks cool. And I agree about the camera system sucks a bit, i cant seem to exit cameras without letting go the the controls.

Robiben fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 25, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's also the other exit that just takes you out into the open ocean. Much easier.

Or the other other exit that brings you out in the grand reef.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GlyphGryph posted:

Building a series of powered bases is a perfectly acceptable alternative to a submarine. If you're crazy. Like I am.

You don't even need powered bases if you have the external growbed blueprint, titanium, a brain coral sample, and a creepvine seedpod (for ease of navigation).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Robiben posted:

If you have the grappling hook you can latch onto something above you and when you get a bit of upward momentum hit the jets and it will fly you up pretty high. I found you can get out of the lower areas with a bit of patience. The jump jet upgrade helps a tonne though. Also you can grapple onto warpers and drill them. Makes them teleport away. I still poo poo myself anytime i get warped though.

Oh and a standard hull upgrade chip in your Prawn Suit. Helps!

Had all that. And was slowly moving up the cliff, but I could never get the warper to either die or go away, it always came back just as I was getting close.

I just got fed up after 3 hours of trying to get out and used the console when it destroyed my Prawn Suit. I really hate The Prawn Suit and Cyclops, they're so difficult to control and a real pain in the rear end to get anywhere that's more narrow than the open ocean.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Did they seal up the entrance to the Inactive Lava Zone that is near the front of the Aurora? I tried to get there in a new game and it just...wasn't there anymore. Nothing but void!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I finally found the floating island. it was a lot bigger than I thought it would be, and also a huge relief to finally get there. I must have searched in every direction except the right one. Now for base location paralysis.

While the multipurpose room situation is incredibly dumb for players who don't know where to look (if they're going to gate it then it should be in way more accessible places) I actually like the blueprints only being near wreckage. It means you can kinda just coast along and stop when you see something obvious. I remember in the past constantly going up to blueprints scattered everywhere just to find that they were ones I already had.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

The Cyclops taking damage was always in the plans. In experimental they're changing it so that small scrapes will auto repair themselves so you don't have to jump outside after every bump.

Its almost as if letting it get damaged by little dings and scrapes is a dumb idea.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Carcer posted:

Its almost as if letting it get damaged by little dings and scrapes is a dumb idea.

I dunno, I kinda like the sound of this. Little scrapes shouldn't do much on their own but you could get in trouble if you get a lot of them. So you mostly ignore them until it gets bad enough that you have to deal with it and give your boat a fresh coat of paint.

Then later on you get the nanobot-autorepair module and you can ignore small damage completely unless you get absolutely swarmed by a horde of rabid goldfish that kills you faster than you can repair.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

holy balls I'm starting to hate the resource constraints in this. No matter what I might want to build, it always ends up taking ten times as long because I'm out of [copper/titanium/gold/silver/...]

I get that this is part of the survival genre gameplay loop but the amount of copper and titanium required in particular feels a bit excessive.

double nine fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 25, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

double nine posted:

holy balls I'm starting to hate the resource constraints in this. No matter what I might want to build, it always ends up taking ten times as long because I'm out of [copper/titanium/gold/silver/...]

I get that this is part of the survival genre gameplay loop but the amount of copper and titanium required in particular feels a bit excessive.

so err, a little help? I went into the sea treader's path for some items farming in my seamoth, I got a full inventory, went back to the surface, saved and quit. When I try and load the game, i instantly die and respawn in the pod. When I saved, there were no hostiles near me, I had at least 50% food & water, and I was above 200 meters. Additionally, I noticed that the save file is marked with ~20 minutes gameplay when I've already spent about a dozen hours on this playthrough. I've tried activating the console to toggle invincibility but that doesn't work. I have no idea what kills me. Any advice? Can I edit/view the save file somehow?

edit: quote is not edit apologies for double post.

double nine fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 25, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Can you get back to where you left the seamoth? Does your base still exist?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Carcer posted:

Can you get back to where you left the seamoth? Does your base still exist?

sure, all I've lost is the stuff that I picked up during my excursion. It's just really weird and there was some stuff I picked up that took forever to find ... Mercury ore specifically, some diamonds, and uranium.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am amused that gold is way more common than copper. It is an alien planet, but it still feels odd.

And that is the one good thing i've found about the Prawn Suit, being able to mine the large nodes helps a lot.

I noticed that the time played on saved games is really low now. I don't know if there was a patch recently that messed that up or something else.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

double nine posted:

sure, all I've lost is the stuff that I picked up during my excursion. It's just really weird and there was some stuff I picked up that took forever to find ... Mercury ore specifically, some diamonds, and uranium.

I think if the game screws you like that it's fair to cheat those things back in.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Thor-Stryker posted:

Hope you guys like the cyclops taking damage, it was a much-requested feature that makes gameplay more immersive and realistic and is totally wanted by the entire forum base so they just put it in last patch.

Just ignore the details like the hull being made out of titanium or the fact that creatures smaller than a sub don't actually attack them 99% of the time.

Actually, I don't mind it taking damage per se. My issue is more with the information presented on the HUD. Small dings and scrapes are easily represented while I'm driving to let me know if they're worth stopping to fix up or if they can wait until I've parked it somewhere. It's an incentive to be careful when navigating narrower parts of the terrain, at least.

What annoys me about the creatures isn't the damage, but how quickly they're drawn to you and principally that I can't tell easily if they're something that I should avoid. If a boneshark nips me a few times on my way somewhere then the damage is minor enough that I can ignore it for now but I can't tell if it is a boneshark or something worse unless I stop and look.

My personal fix would be
i) stop smaller things like bonesharks attacking the cyclops
ii) keep them on the radar but change their symbol to yellow, so that you still have information about them when you disembark and
iii) reduce the cost of the decoy torpedoes, or make them rechargeable or something. The limited ammo at a time is already a good limit, I think.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

twistedmentat posted:

Had all that. And was slowly moving up the cliff, but I could never get the warper to either die or go away, it always came back just as I was getting close.

I just got fed up after 3 hours of trying to get out and used the console when it destroyed my Prawn Suit. I really hate The Prawn Suit and Cyclops, they're so difficult to control and a real pain in the rear end to get anywhere that's more narrow than the open ocean.

Sorry to hear. I kinda like the chunkyness of the Prawn Suit. Feels dangerous as deep diving should I guess. I did find warpers to be a pain but I super stocked up on healing and food and was pretty aggressive in drilling them if they saw me.

I don't mind the cyclops being big and slow because I use it as kinda a mobile base. If I wanna jet somewhere I jump in the Seamoth and zip around. If I need to collect resources I load up my Cyclops and Prawn and go on a trip. It helps that you can build base items in your Cyclops, mine is just filled with Lockers. I'll never run out of Copper again!

double nine posted:

As mentioned above try to get your Prawn Suit and Drill arm going. Large resource nodes are great and yeild shitloads. I generally scout em out with the Seamoth, mark em with beacons and then head over with my Cyclops. One pro tip is if the node is in a tricky spot, lay down a Gravsphere to stop it all flying away.

Oh and if you are collecting Large items to be made into smaller ones (Creedvine Seeds to Lubricant, Titanium to Titanium Ingot), whack a Fabricator in your Cyclops. Can really save you some space.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The prawn suit drill arm really ought to deposit directly into the internal storage.

I feel like if we got something like that and also resource compression I'd be a lot less salty about resource scarcity. Let me turn ingots back into regular ingots dang it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

some weird impostor escape pod appeared in my game at some point. I was just going back to my base one time and noticed a second escape pod icon. I was able to get in and repair it, but its medkit dispenser and fabricator don't exist, so there's just a hole in the wall that I can see through

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Huh. There are wrecked escape pods around the game world. It's not one of those?

I had one bugged that was supposed to be on the sea floor, but it was instead on the surface but wasn't bobbing with the waves.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Zesty posted:

Huh. There are wrecked escape pods around the game world. It's not one of those?

I had one bugged that was supposed to be on the sea floor, but it was instead on the surface but wasn't bobbing with the waves.

Nah, I've had that happen before. It doesn't have the big ripped out hole like the wrecked ones, but it has the display screen and lights of your main pod. And you can climb in and out as normal. It went away after an hour or so in my game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So I'm hearing the nerfed the cyclops again even harder in the latest experimental? Something to do with batteries and having to charge it in a base?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 26, 2017

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Game looks really neat, but this thread seems to be really mad at it. Kind of wanna swim around and pick up rocks.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

So I'm hearing the nerfed the cyclops again even harder in the latest experimental? Something to do with batteries.

The power efficiency module used to apply to everything including power cell chargers. This meant you it only took 25% of the energy to get a powercell back up to 100%. Infinite energy was a bug, and they fixed it so the module only applies to engine power draw.

They also buffed it so that it will regenerate damage if the health is over 80%. So you don't have to hop out and repair if you only take a little damage.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Shinjobi posted:

I just hate that if I pick up this game I will be tempted to make the entire SeaLab. Not sure how to make Pod 6 fill up with jerks, but that would simply be something for me to brainstorm.

An alien containment full of bombfish and baby clam sharks.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Meridian posted:

Game looks really neat, but this thread seems to be really mad at it. Kind of wanna swim around and pick up rocks.

I just want them to hurry up and hit loving 1.0. I really want to do another nice, long playthrough, but I don't have it in me to restart yet again whenever they decide to finally remove some of the old terraforming code or whatever. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Trustworthy posted:

I just want them to hurry up and hit loving 1.0. I really want to do another nice, long playthrough, but I don't have it in me to restart yet again whenever they decide to finally remove some of the old terraforming code or whatever. :smith:

World's static, right? Like there's no proc gen or anything so it's the same world every time? Do resources respawn/spawn randomly?