Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

ALFbrot posted:

Mike goes to the support group, learns that her husband died mysteriously and she has carried that burden for nearly a decade of intense suffering.
Putting a human face to the pain renews and intensifies Mike's animus towards Hector for the murder of the good samaritan (and, to a lesser extent, the driver of the truck)
I interpreted the support group interaction as Mike not wanting to end up disappeared (Nacho's sloppy work causing Gus immediately suspect Mike), leaving Kaylee and her mom with the same unresolved grief the woman at the support group has. I do think the good samaritan aspect is valid too though, it's in Mike's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Attitude Indicator posted:

He did grab some cash for himself, if im not mistaken, deciding he wouldn't be a "sheep." McGill senior was terrible at running a business and would failed it himself. Jimmy just made things slightly worse and Chuck always blamed him for the whole mess.

And it's easy to see why stealing from their struggling dad would embitter Chuck towards Jimmy from an early age, even if the bitterness and blame isn't entirely rational. Imagine yourself in that situation and you'd probably be pissed at Jimmy too, if you loved your dad. It's a bit of a deeper hurt than conning randoms at the bar.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cromulent posted:

I interpreted the support group interaction as Mike not wanting to end up disappeared (Nacho's sloppy work causing Gus immediately suspect Mike), leaving Kaylee and her mom with the same unresolved grief the woman at the support group has. I do think the good samaritan aspect is valid too though, it's in Mike's character.

Or not wanting the idiot Playuh to end up disappeared.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And it's easy to see why stealing from their struggling dad would embitter Chuck towards Jimmy from an early age, even if the bitterness and blame isn't entirely rational. Imagine yourself in that situation and you'd probably be pissed at Jimmy too, if you loved your dad. It's a bit of a deeper hurt than conning randoms at the bar.

That's true. I have a sibling I throw shade at a lot for little things that happened when we were kids but get twisted into something bigger over time. I haven't gotten to the point of life ruining vitriol yet. I should probably give them a call and see how they're doing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Blazing Ownager posted:

And now I shalt argue the show on behalf of Hector Salamanca

gently caress THAT loving GUS FRING. THAT'S WHAT. I AM #1, THAT SHOW OFF loving SMUG PRICK. ALL SHOULD FEAR ME BECAUASE I AM A loving SALAMANCA.

But seriously most of the characters have extremely understandable POVs.

The man is pompous, small-minded, arrogant, and was likely raised by the cartel. So I can absolutely understand why he's the way he is.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
It's like in Kitchen Nightmares where there's this old restaurateur who's owned their diner for decades and runs it their way and is flabbergasted that he's actually running it into the ground. And all the employees know the restaurant is losing money and it's bullshit but the owner wants it the way he wants it even if that means innocent customers get killed in the crossfire.

And then a franchise owner walks into town with a simple menu and makes hand over fist compared to the local family owned restaurants but they want to edge out the old diner owner anyway because they had their best frycook killed years earlier.

What I'm saying is, there should be a TV show about a gangster who gets hired by crime bosses to fix their failing mafias.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Rexides posted:

From a direction perspective, it was so that it could establish to the audience that Chuck was insured in the same company that Jimmy was, something that he could have obviously known but not us. I really think that it was an improvisation.

mehhhh not buying it. I think maybe he at least went in planning to gently caress chuck as a backup plan if no refund was possible

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 24, 2017

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

vermin posted:

It's like in Kitchen Nightmares where there's this old restaurateur who's owned their diner for decades and runs it their way and is flabbergasted that he's actually running it into the ground. And all the employees know the restaurant is losing money and it's bullshit but the owner wants it the way he wants it even if that means innocent customers get killed in the crossfire.

And then a franchise owner walks into town with a simple menu and makes hand over fist compared to the local family owned restaurants but they want to edge out the old diner owner anyway because they had their best frycook killed years earlier.

What I'm saying is, there should be a TV show about a gangster who gets hired by crime bosses to fix their failing mafias.

Kinda like Fargo season 2

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Jimmy's commercial shoots reminded me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RMz7DjHVuU

(the second part)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If Jimmy's Chuck loving was 100% premeditated, why wouldn't he just ring the insurance company and straight-up dob him in?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

If Jimmy's Chuck loving was 100% premeditated, why wouldn't he just ring the insurance company and straight-up dob him in?

he probably wants some plausible deniability

doing it like this, they'll probably just pull the transcripts, if it leaks back to him he can pretend he was just overcome with emotion

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Why would he want deniability? He wants to get back at Chuck, and he wants Chuck to know that it's him doing it. Chuck knew that by testifying, his illness would become a matter of public record, and he also knew that whatever the result, Jimmy would be mad at him. If he didn't forsee this it's his own fault.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hiddenmovement posted:

What if everyones a shithead except for maybe Kim?

Student film crew are unambiguous heroes. The girl even tried to give her share back. :colbert:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Konstantin posted:

Why would he want deniability? He wants to get back at Chuck, and he wants Chuck to know that it's him doing it. Chuck knew that by testifying, his illness would become a matter of public record, and he also knew that whatever the result, Jimmy would be mad at him. If he didn't forsee this it's his own fault.

Chuck isn't mentally ill he has a condition and furthermore he is the best

Signed,

Charles McGill, Esq.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Chuck can afford higher premiums. Jimmy did nothing wrong. gently caress the Chuck.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
All it took for me to not like Chuck is this one sliver of narrative:

:) "I regret that I've been a burden to you, so I scrimped, saved, fought and sacrificed for years to become something you can respect."
:geno: "Everything you've accomplished is a joke and you're still the same piece of poo poo."

He could have spit in his face and been less hateful.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Chuck is ill though. I know people like him. Actually seeing him get humiliated in court was quite sad.

He's fun to hate, but he's also a really real example of a dilemma you'll have when dealing with someone with mental issues who also has a lot of emotional control over your life.

People with his disposition can wiggle out of any doctor diagnosis and can act well in public, which leads to them never getting properly treated. And loved ones typically don't want to banish them to treatment in the first place, since poor mental health is a bit of an insult to a person's pride.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
this was a mellow episode right up until the extremely amazing ending

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I had a therapist put it this way once, that an intelligent patient will often find ways to outmaneuver a therapist rather than be emotionally honest and actually address their issues

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Sagebrush posted:

I don't see how this ends up with Mike and Gus getting along, though, since Gus explicitly told Mike not to kill Hector and he presumably knows everything that happens in Albuquerque.

Obviously Hector doesn't die and is instead crippled, which as far as Gus is concerned is maybe the perfect outcome, but that can't be intentional. Mike isn't Walt, who might know what secret poison to put in the capsules to have that effect. Gus will know that Mike and Nacho tried to kill Hector despite his orders.

Maybe Mike manages to hide his involvement because he's extraordinarily cautious, but I think Nacho is gonna get box-cutter'd.
Given what we know from this show and Breaking Bad, Gus hates the poo poo out of Hector, and Hector hates the poo poo out of Gus.

If Hector gets shot in the head by a sniper in the middle of cartel business, that is the very definition of foul play, blame and blowback will be directed at known antagonist-to-Hector Gus, a war would break out, etc. etc. etc. That's why Gus doesn't want Hector killed, at least in an obvious way.

In the long term, Gus clearly wants Hector out of the picture. If Hector is kill or debilitated by "natural causes", it eliminates competition in a way that doesn't blow back on Gus. I imagine that's Mike's mindset, or at least his escape clause if any/all of this comes to Gus's attention. Because Mike definitely still wants Hector dead.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Blazing Ownager posted:

I love how people don't trust this show to tie the Mike & Saul plots together with a bow at the end.

Doubly so since Saul knows Gus, and is the guy who pointed White to Gus, meaning they absolutely have to cross paths on a criminal level. My guess is that Saul's need for money will leave him to take a big risk and helping Gus, Nacho and Mike with the Hector plan.

We actually don't know that Saul knows Gus. In BB he just tells Walt that "he knows a guy who knows a guy....who knows a guy." For some reason everyone assumes that Saul was just lying, but I see no reason why Gus would ever want to get directly involved with Saul before the events of BB. It's very possible Jimmy and Gus never again directly cross paths on BCS. Jimmy's involvement with Cartel business could be solely through Mike and Nacho, with Gus remaining at a distance.

Edge & Christian posted:

Given what we know from this show and Breaking Bad, Gus hates the poo poo out of Hector, and Hector hates the poo poo out of Gus.

If Hector gets shot in the head by a sniper in the middle of cartel business, that is the very definition of foul play, blame and blowback will be directed at known antagonist-to-Hector Gus, a war would break out, etc. etc. etc. That's why Gus doesn't want Hector killed, at least in an obvious way.

In the long term, Gus clearly wants Hector out of the picture. If Hector is kill or debilitated by "natural causes", it eliminates competition in a way that doesn't blow back on Gus. I imagine that's Mike's mindset, or at least his escape clause if any/all of this comes to Gus's attention. Because Mike definitely still wants Hector dead.

It's that, and he also wants to draw out his revenge against Hector. I don't think Gus would look too kindly on Mike for killing Hector prematurely, even if it is done in an undetectable way. The only reason Mike is letting Nacho go through with his plan is because he thinks Gus won't be able to figure out what really happened. I'm sure neither Mike nor Nacho is expecting Hector to come out of this alive but simply debilitated.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 25, 2017

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
There are two kinds of people:

1. Let's negotiate.
2. Dude are you gonna get on the bus or what?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I think it's also possible that Mike already contacted Gus and they're going to turn the murder plan into something else.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Javid posted:

I think it's also possible that Mike already contacted Gus and they're going to turn the murder plan into something else.

I doubt it. That's generally not how this show operates. Except for the big Chuck reveal in the first season, everything mostly tends to be what it appears to be. That's part of why I like this show so much. The drama isn't manufactured based on arbitrarily withholding information from the audience.

If Nacho's plan doesn't go off the way it's supposed to, it'll be because of something that's as surprising to our viewpoint characters (Nacho and Mike) as it is to us.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

No, Gus doesn't want Hector to get shot in the head by a sniper because, as he literally said to Mike a few episodes ago, "a bullet in the head is too good for him." Gus wants Hector to suffer for murdering Max (Gus' partner).

Yes, Gus wants Hector out of the picture as his competition, but that doesn't necessarily mean dead. As we see in Breaking Bad, he outright gloats over Hector's infirmity, visiting him in the nursing home to tell him that his nephews are dead, etc.

Obviously whatever happens to Hector works out well for Gus, but again, I don't think it could have been intentional. And giving him fake drugs so that he dies of a heart attack doesn't seem to be up to Gus' desired level of cruelty, so it probably wasn't done with Gus' blessing.

I'm guessing either (a) the drugs/fake drugs only partially work, crippling Hector instead of killing him, and Gus will be pissed off when he finds out about the attempt, because it indicates that he can't trust Mike; or (b) Mike and Nacho somehow decide to deliberately cripple him with a special poison and successfully pull it off, which strains credulity.

I mean maybe Gus never finds out about the attempt and just treats it as Hector's just deserts, but Gus is not played as the kind of man who just accepts these things without investigating them in extraordinary detail.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 25, 2017

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Or Gus thinks "cool, someone else poisoned Hector."

There is literally no way for Mike to get found out unless Gus talks to Nacho (who doesn't work for him) or Pryce.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, Gus would think "cool, someone else poisoned Hector. Who is operating in my area who has the balls to murder a high-up cartel enforcer, and why don't I know about them?"

Gus is not the sort of person to shrug and let something like that pass. It's practically guaranteed that he'll discover who attacked Hector.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I think the nitro thing is probably a fake out and Hector gets crippled by a stroke because that's something that frequently happens to old bitches with heart problems.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
In a stoned haze I thought Nacho revealed during he and Hector's conversation that Gus was his father and I was like WHOOOAAAAA and then I realised he wasn't. That would have been a cool twist I reckon.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Mike is barely even involved, it's Nacho who needs to worry. All Mike did was give Nacho a little advice on his plan and not talk him out of it. The only way Gus could find out about Mike's extremely tangential involvement is if Nacho tells him.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
PLAYUH could be the weak link.

I don’t know offhand how Gus would find out he’s involved, but I’m sure the guy can find some way to screw it up.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

he probably wants some plausible deniability

He could have done it anonymously. It's not like an insurance company needs too much prodding to look into a case where one of their most prominent and wealthy clients might be mentally ill.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rexides posted:

He could have done it anonymously. It's not like an insurance company needs too much prodding to look into a case where one of their most prominent and wealthy clients might be mentally ill.

For real, if that one lady looked up the transcript just for funsies, anyone could have. There would have been no way to trace it back to Jimmy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pharmaskittle posted:

I think the nitro thing is probably a fake out and Hector gets crippled by a stroke because that's something that frequently happens to old bitches with heart problems.

Him having the stroke because his nitro pills are fakes is what I'm expecting, but then, that's no guarantee. I'm hoping Hector is in his wheelchair by the finale though. OTOH I love watching him swagger.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pharmaskittle posted:

I could easily see them about to poison him but he has the stroke first

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I don't know if he's going to poison him, so much as just replace the nitroglycerin with something useless. Without the nitro, Hector's heart problem will cause an ischemic stroke. You guys realize that the heart and brain are connected, right?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

No

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ALFbrot posted:

I don't know if he's going to poison him, so much as just replace the nitroglycerin with something useless. Without the nitro, Hector's heart problem will cause an ischemic stroke. You guys realize that the heart and brain are connected, right?

Like they have a spiritual bond?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Like they have a spiritual bond?

Yes. If the heart starts to falter, the brain is too depressed to go on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

You guys realize that the heart and brain are connected, right?

Mine sure aren't :smith:

• Locked thread