Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

it kinda wasnt dude

The message of Bioshock Infinite was literally "well actually, both sides are bad." Idk how you could dispute this, what game were you playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

please describe your ideal video game racist

hell if you tweet it to they might even be able to squeeze them into fc5 for you

I think I'll let somebody more eloquent explain the point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNhwb7iuI4&t=77s

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
pre-order now for the exclusive Doobie DLC

ol' Doobie's tracked down the bad froggers to their survivalist compound, and it's time for revenge... PILED HIGH

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

That wasn't the message at all. The politics were a backdrop to a story about how you and comstock and all other dewitts are a loving scourge no matter what reality you're in and so elizabeth decides to smother you. The revolutionaries are shown doing bad poo poo and being less than the sum of its parts but that's not loving surprising, it just mirrors real life, and isn't a value judgement but a gameplay and marketing choice lol

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
too bad the game sucked poo poo and was boring as hell to play

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

That wasn't the message at all. The politics were a backdrop to a story about how you and comstock and all other dewitts are a loving scourge no matter what reality you're in and so elizabeth decides to smother you. The revolutionaries are shown doing bad poo poo and being less than the sum of its parts but that's not loving surprising, it just mirrors real life, and isn't a value judgement but a gameplay and marketing choice lol

Bioshock Inifnite is a tesseract of stupidity, but primarily the idea that in a world of infinite universes, every single Comstock always turns out exactly the same, with the exact same events leading into it, and that's nonsensical and flies in the face of all the other poo poo. Elizabeth's actions at the end of Infinite should have in no way accomplished what she said it would accomplish and indeed, based on the very last scene of the game, it didn't.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

walgreenslatino posted:

The message of Bioshock Infinite was literally "well actually, both sides are bad." Idk how you could dispute this, what game were you playing

nope it didnt take a moral stance

sometimes people you are ideologically sympathetic to do things you dont like whether this makes them "bad" in the same way the police and security forces that enforce the status quo of a racially segregated society are "bad" is an ethical question for you as an individual

im sorry you had to learn this from a video game

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

honestly the stories about Bioshock infinite's development make me wish we just got whatever version came out for that pre-release footage. That poo poo seemed to be way more on the nose about racism and white nationalism. So much got changed so often, ken levine is insane and he was dealing with publishers who wanted a game that could be marketed to a wide audience, not a political statement from some bougie liberal with some nerd clout

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Yeah, you are extremist 20 charisma guy who creates cults or cult of personalities in every reality except the one where you turn alcoholic. He gathers the poo poo extreme of society (capitalist or randian brand capitalist) that is backlashed against by the lovely people he brought there making power plays.

I never understood the "herp derp both sides are bad though" argument. Were you looking for the good guy faction in the dystopian timelines games?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

honestly the stories about Bioshock infinite's development make me wish we just got whatever version came out for that pre-release footage. That poo poo seemed to be way more on the nose about racism and white nationalism. So much got changed so often, ken levine is insane and he was dealing with publishers who wanted a game that could be marketed to a wide audience, not a political statement from some bougie liberal with some nerd clout

The pre-release Infinite had much more interesting gameplay concepts, such as Elizabeth having powers that Booker could interact with to cause damage and stuff like that. It seemed like a big revolutionary expansion of the ideas presented in Bioshock 1 and then, very quietly, that all got closeted, Elizabeth was made a Disney princess and the game got turned into Call of Duty.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Dean of Swing posted:

"Will Far Cry 5 be the dark souls of the series?"

"Is Far Cry 5 the dark souls of open world games?"

"Is Far Cry 5 villain the Andrew Ryan of dark souls?"

"Top 10 ways that Far Cry 5 pulls a dark souls?"

"How Far Cry 5 villain is the Donald Trump of videogames (also dark souls)."

*Special Directors Cut Edition available for $125.99 (includes DLC content that was part of original game design and cut at release to be resold to you)"

*PC version unplayable at launch due to numerous bugs that would not have made it past quality control 10 years ago"

*Review copes secretly sent to top youtube / twitch "content producers" for review with bribe money, "10/10 GOY contender"*

*Is generic "open world" shooter no different from previous three iterations*

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah, you are extremist 20 charisma guy who creates cults or cult of personalities in every reality except the one where you turn alcoholic. He gathers the poo poo extreme of society (capitalist or randian brand capitalist) that is backlashed against by the lovely people he brought there making power plays.

I never understood the "herp derp both sides are bad though" argument. Were you looking for the good guy faction in the dystopian timelines games?

The most outright evil action of the game is the killing of a child, which is done in cold blood by a slave/servant of the ruling class-cum-revolutionary war leader.

It's actually the best part of the game, for that matter, as she's the only character who has an arc that's developed in any way, or particularly related to the setting. Comstock, by virtue of being a prophet, is basically Above It All, and most of the other side characters are incidental or just flat villains. The lady revolutionary is a product of abuse, and when the power finally shifts to her favor, she falls into temptation to behave exactly as she's been taught. It suggests that violence depicts violence into perpetuity.

...which would be really cool if this wasn't a first person shooter that has gruesome melee murder animations where I seize upon a uniformed police officer's skull and hack his face open with a buzz saw.

Bioshock Infinite is an insanely stupid game.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Video games.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Bombadilillo posted:

your fight both of them anyway its really strange that people struggle so much with this

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The most outright evil action of the game is the killing of a child, which is done in cold blood by a slave/servant of the ruling class-cum-revolutionary war leader.

It's actually the best part of the game, for that matter, as she's the only character who has an arc that's developed in any way, or particularly related to the setting. Comstock, by virtue of being a prophet, is basically Above It All, and most of the other side characters are incidental or just flat villains. The lady revolutionary is a product of abuse, and when the power finally shifts to her favor, she falls into temptation to behave exactly as she's been taught. It suggests that violence depicts violence into perpetuity.

...which would be really cool if this wasn't a first person shooter that has gruesome melee murder animations where I seize upon a uniformed police officer's skull and hack his face open with a buzz saw.

Bioshock Infinite is an insanely stupid game.

Its almost as if the protagonist you play isn't a good guy. Like, that's the point. Its not some "Nathan drake is a mass murderer and that clashes with the plot" thing
The plot is that who YOU are is capable of whats bolded in your stuff. That IS the point.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 25, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Duck Dyna5ty.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I hope the game is fun

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Cantaloupe posted:

I hope the game is fun

:same:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

Its almost as if the protagonist you play isn't a good guy.

"The moral of the story is violence is wrong. Now, check out how awesome all this violence is!"

Bombadilillo posted:

The plot is that who YOU are is capable of whats bolded in your stuff. That IS the point.

But none of my choices matter. Even if I don't rip people's faces off, I still have to murder massive amounts of people, and it doesn't matter at all if I am merciful incidentally to some.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I bet if you liked Far Cry 2, 3 and 4 you will like it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

How they going to shove in honeybadgers? I mean, they can just do it I guess.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Bombadilillo posted:

Its almost as if the protagonist you play isn't a good guy. Like, that's the point. Its not some "Nathan drake is a mass murderer and that clashes with the plot" thing

Gamers are only capable of understanding subtext in games if it's repeatedly shoved in your face like in that Spec Ops game where loading screens eventually start calling you a bad person for still playing and the developer said in an interview that the only way to win the game is if you turn it off and never play it again.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hasn't Far Cry been about fake locations? Why would they pick a real state, in a real country?

I mean, if they wanted to go that route I can't think of a better location that Libya, or Syria.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

Hasn't Far Cry been about fake locations? Why would they pick a real state, in a real country?

I mean, if they wanted to go that route I can't think of a better location that Libya, or Syria.

MGSV did Afghanistan, so they probably wanted to do a setting not really used recently. This also lets them one-up Rockstar with the Western setting, unless the release date is still way off.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

spacetoaster posted:

Call it Cascadia in your mind or some poo poo, then, who cares

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

I'm pretty sure Africa and the Himalayas are real dude.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

"The moral of the story is violence is wrong. Now, check out how awesome all this violence is!"

But none of my choices matter. Even if I don't rip people's faces off, I still have to murder massive amounts of people, and it doesn't matter at all if I am merciful incidentally to some.

Why is choice that matters suddenly important in this game? It didnt matter in Bioshock unless you think "murder a child" vs "save a child" gave you a satisfying amount of choice. Also the moral isn't "violence is wrong"

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 25, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

Why is choice that matters suddenly important in this game? It did matter in Bioshock unless you think "murder a child" vs "save a child" gave you a satisfying amount of choice. Also the moral isn't "violence is wrong"

Bioshock's "morality system" was a major marketing point and was heavily hyped leading up to its release. It was certainly intended to be a big deal, even if the choice is actually heavily stacked in favor of one over the other...kind of obviously.

Infinite decided to improve the flawed moral choice system by taking it out entirely.

The moral "violence is wrong" applies to the leader of the Vox's story arc specifically. Daisy. It's an incongruous message given the gameplay, like...pretty much all the other ones are.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Bioshock's "morality system" was a major marketing point and was heavily hyped leading up to its release. It was certainly intended to be a big deal, even if the choice is actually heavily stacked in favor of one over the other...kind of obviously.

Infinite decided to improve the flawed moral choice system by taking it out entirely.

The moral "violence is wrong" applies to the leader of the Vox's story arc specifically. Daisy. It's an incongruous message given the gameplay, like...pretty much all the other ones are.

Taking out binary choice morality systems is a 100% improvement.

Doomguy responding to demon violence with more violence is incongruous. He see's that violence is bad. Why does he engage with it? It doesn't make sense.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
"Is Far Cry 5 the Bioshock Infinite of the Series (or is it the Dark Souls)?"

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

It does look like they have a lot more distinctly designed villians. Hopefully its not just one main antagonist they expect to drive the plot.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
bioshock infinite was loving stupid and if you were the least bit impressed by any of it you're a dunce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_u18_BKczg

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

nm, should probably talk about Far Cry. I hope I can ride a bear.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Where do I pre-order

Can I run over dudes in the Tea Party in a Prius or something

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

seriously if they dont play copperhead road at some point in the game im going to write a strongly worded email

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvaEJzoaYZk

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

Fake County (in a real state).

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

numberoneposter posted:

seriously if they dont play copperhead road at some point in the game im going to write a strongly worded email

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvaEJzoaYZk

Antagonist: This world is sick. Look around you, nothing but sinners haplessly floating along the city streets. Debauchery at every corner. Drugs. Sex. Everything about you disgusts me.
Protagonist: Please don't sing Dragula
Antagonist: Dig through the ditches

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

I'm Crap posted:

bioshock infinite was loving stupid and if you were the least bit impressed by any of it you're a dunce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_u18_BKczg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCAFc8Kt-5s
^
Every bioshock infinite player.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Lol if you play this instead of waiting for Red Dead Redemption 2 in 2019. The only good Ubisoft games have Rayman in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Lol if you play this instead of waiting for Red Dead Redemption 2 in 2019. The only good Ubisoft games have Rayman in them.
Actually I'm Just Going To Keep Playing Counter-Strike.

Forever

• Locked thread