Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah the factional struggle is less about changing talking points and more about disrupting good-ol-boy networks. MA is as blue as blue gets and Bernifying our state-level government would be a Sisyphean ordeal

(although at least our congressmen and senators are mostly good) (except the one being primaried by Brianna Wu) (which makes me re-lol every time I remember it)

I wanna be encouraged by this but it's just too late to matter

plus in this worst of all timelines of course Rob Quist will lose the day after his opponent is charged with assaulting a reporter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Heitkamp supporting Pruitt is primary worthy and I don't care one single bit about how hard it is to win in a red state.

resource extraction is a big part of North Dakota's economy, and the slow death of the fossil fuel industries are hitting the state economy pretty hard. good look electing someone who campaigns on "I think oil and coal companies should be more heavily regulated" there

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Giant fort will win

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
can't slam the giant fort fam

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gianforte? More like Giantfuckwit

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Remember when the senate was supposed to turn blue

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/eschor/status/867777463618867201

https://twitter.com/eschor/status/867779878451646465

https://twitter.com/eschor/status/867781913163034625

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Oh so $15 an hour sounds good once Dems have lost every seat of power across our wide nation :allears:

Welcome to the dark side

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
senate will magically have 3 bad centrist dems pull out at the last minute so we'll get like 9 dollars instead

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

hello this is me ama

https://twitter.com/pebo4u/status/867779022654189568

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
did pelosi/reid ever commit to obama's $10.10 proposal cuz it'd be lol af if they ignored him but jumped on the sanders bandwagon

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I thought we still had really bad odds of winning anything in 2018 let alone taking the House

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

loquacius posted:

I thought we still had really bad odds of winning anything in 2018 let alone taking the House

(thats why pelosi is jumping on the bandwagon, she wont have to follow thru)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

loquacius posted:

That was before trump created his own Watergate and dems are winning in r+15 districts

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

got any sevens posted:

(thats why pelosi is jumping on the bandwagon, she wont have to follow thru)

Well if they win miracle bigly they might follow through because the hail Mary clearly worked

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

did pelosi/reid ever commit to obama's $10.10 proposal cuz it'd be lol af if they ignored him but jumped on the sanders bandwagon

idk about reid but schumer and pelosi both did iirc. it wasn't very loud or front-and-center because dems were still on their "we can win elections without promising anything because demographics are destiny and the republicans will always be worse" thing

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

Senate is bigly hosed, house could go anywhere with enough of a wave. Midterms are bad for Dems generally though.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Remember when the senate was supposed to turn blue

I remember when they won 2 seats and liberals saw it as an unprecedented victory lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Senate is bigly hosed, house could go anywhere with enough of a wave. Midterms are bad for Dems generally though.

it's not just midterms, it's all off-presidential elections that dems have done badly in for the past few decades. however the recent special elections have been going pretty good for them post-trumpocalypse so far so something may have changed.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

loquacius posted:

The house is always up for reelection but the senate map isn't favorable in 2018. The way the GOP has gerrymandered itself though makes them very vulnerable to a wave election. Gerrymandering it supposed to give you reliable seats....so long as your party doesn't drop in the polls by 14 points

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Business Gorillas posted:

That was before trump created his own Watergate and dems are winning in r+15 districts

r+15 state legislative districts which obama won twice

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
This thread being salty about the democrats adopting exactly what you want them to will never stop being funny

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Is the 15 pegged to inflation? Because it should be.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the thing is though that the democrats have a long history of, as one somewhat notable dem politician has stated it, holding both a public and private position

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

zegermans posted:

This thread being salty about the democrats adopting exactly what you want them to will never stop being funny

It's more not trusting that they'll actually follow through, and that this is just craven opportunism that'll get discarded the moment the electoral crisis has passed and donor dollars are secure once more.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's more not trusting that they'll actually follow through, and that this is just craven opportunism that'll get discarded the moment the electoral crisis has passed and donor dollars are secure once more.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spergymans:

Big Left isn't giving poor Dems fair treatment :qq:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

iirc it is, and it's bumped to 15 over several years instead of a single bump

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

zegermans posted:

Lol if you give them what they want before they sign it into law.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

just lmao that this thread wont trust a bunch of duplicitous whores who have repeatedly sold out any values they proclaim to have to the highest bidder

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shattered Out Of Context continues:

quote:

Matt Paul, who rode in the motorcade to Drake, believed he’d done everything he could have for Hillary. The caucuses were a test of Sanders’s message and momentum against Hillary’s superior organization. He had spoken to Hillary and Bill countless times about that question. Could Sanders win purely on energy and enthusiasm? In the final several weeks, Sanders’s campaign began to build the infrastructure to match the sentiment that had captured the hearts of liberal, young, and politically unaffiliated Iowans. To counter Sanders, the Clinton team focused on making sure that every ally heard from a top campaign official five or six times over the course of the caucus season—and on training precinct captains to master the intricacies of the complex caucus process. “Had we not had every single organizer that we had, had we not reached out to every possible group or every newly elected person or every advocacy community, we would have lost,” said one Clinton adviser. “The current was that strong against us. At the end, it was all that muscle.” Mook’s field operation had been just strong enough to withstand Bernie, but not by the margin his analytics team had predicted and not by enough to quiet his critics. He was flying very close to the sun.

Bernie would have won... if he had had more time.

Fortunately that's exactly what he and the other progressives in this country have been doing since 11/9, continuing on working to swell this wave and flip seats and push for real change instead of waiting for Obama to do it for us and inevitably being disappointed.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

it is, and its raised by a dollar per year until 15$. the bill also gets rid of paying people under 20 less than min. wage

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SKULL.GIF posted:

Shattered Out Of Context continues:

Bernie would have won... if he had had more time.

Fortunately that's exactly what he and the other progressives in this country have been doing since 11/9, continuing on working to swell this wave and flip seats and push for real change instead of waiting for Obama to do it for us and inevitably being disappointed.

i mean that was pretty much my thought as well. bernie should have done something to gain name recognition a few months before he ran. in the end i think not making himself visible until he launched his campaign was his greatest undoing and his own fault.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

anime was right posted:

i mean that was pretty much my thought as well. bernie should have done something to gain name recognition a few months before he ran. in the end i think not making himself visible until he launched his campaign was his greatest undoing and his own fault.

In all honesty, I think at the beginning he didn't realize just how weak a candidate Hillary truly was, or that his ideas would resonate as strongly as they have (he has been more or less saying the same thing for decades, after all). Expecting that his role would be just to provide leftward pressure on a strong candidate, he was caught off-guard by his own success and had to scramble to improvise larger efforts.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

anime was right posted:

:yeah:

He only ran in the first place because nobody else from the left wing ran. I think he was operating under the assumption that (say) Warren was going to run until it became clear late in the game that no such thing would happen and he'd have to do it himself. His biggest mistake was not preparing earlier for that possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I thought midterms were generally bad for the presidential party? Enough so to counter the usual Dem midterm apathy

• Locked thread