Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Lol gently caress you buddy

You just don't understand the optimum strategy at hand :smug: ping ping ping ping

e: Ping more than once and I say 'one is fine.' Keep doing it and you get your pings ignored. :v: Acting like a smug master of tactics is really fuckin lame, my buddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yep it's pretty terrible, don't play with terrible nerds.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Sometimes you just have to draw an arrow of pings towards the objective so the solo laneing Artanis knows where the objective is spawning. It's hard to know when you're playing with a locked camera.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Bogart posted:

You just don't understand the optimum strategy at hand :smug: ping ping ping ping

e: Ping more than once and I say 'one is fine.' Keep doing it and you get your pings ignored. :v: Acting like a smug master of tactics is really fuckin lame, my buddies.

There are times where the ping spam matters. Like when the tank dives 1v5, and you as the support approach him to try to keep him alive while he retreats because he's an idiot. You ping retreat once, hit him with a heal, and he turns around because he thinks his 300 remaining HP are going to let you win 2v5. So you ping retreat again, hit him with another heal, and head in the other direction. But because you healed him twice he turns around to loving dive again even though you're walking away so you have to hammer the retreat ping over his idiot loving head to get his attention.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Retreat pings are generally ok to spam, as long as you're not that jackass who spams retreat literally every single fight then pretends he knew best all along when you finally lose one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
If people just mash their ping button over and over I'll just mute their pings. I don't care how much you think it "matters". It's annoying.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

signalnoise posted:

What kind of character is the best for getting yourself up in HL when every group you're in doesn't communicate and makes terrible teamfight engages and you can only rely on yourself

Gul'dan. He can do everything by himself while also making GBS threads out massive amounts of damage from far enough away that survival becomes more dependent on your own decisions than those of your teammates.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I like anub'arak, but sometimes the enemy team picks anub'arak before i am able to. Who should I play that anub'arak hates?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Kharazim can solo camps AND some bosses.

pingchat: When I go in as ETC and start a moshpit, I ping "help me" as much as possible because I want people to stop jerking off and come gently caress these guys

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Ignite Memories posted:

I like anub'arak, but sometimes the enemy team picks anub'arak before i am able to. Who should I play that anub'arak hates?

Anub counters mages. Basic attacks are stronger against him. He doesn't like being stunned after he lands a dive.
If you want to still be a warrior artanis probably poses a big danger to him.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Who was it that posted the really good basics of Abathur post a few days back?

I just bought him with the gem sale and I have never once played him so I'm gonna struggle through a few bot games to try and understand him.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Libertine posted:

Who was it that posted the really good basics of Abathur post a few days back?

I just bought him with the gem sale and I have never once played him so I'm gonna struggle through a few bot games to try and understand him.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818367&pagenumber=82&perpage=40#post472506166

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818367&pagenumber=82&perpage=40#post472507032

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
^^
Thanks a bunch

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Sometimes I appreciate repeated pings because in my inattentional blindness I may have missed the first few :)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Macaluso posted:

If people just mash their ping button over and over I'll just mute their pings. I don't care how much you think it "matters". It's annoying.

Hitler ignored the rest of the world spamming the "don't do the genocide" ping button. How does it feel to be on the same side as Hitler?

Kashuno posted:

pingchat: When I go in as ETC and start a moshpit, I ping "help me" as much as possible because I want people to stop jerking off and come gently caress these guys

If you're not on your allies screen for them to see the mosh as it starts, you're doing it wrong. Nothing like a dive engage happening juuuuust out of reach of the team :(

e: unless you ping a clumped enemy team 2 seconds before you dive mosh. If that's what you meant, then :yeah:

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
As a rule I hate ping spam, but I sometimes make an exception for retreat pings in this game because the sound doesn't cut through the rest of the audio well enough when there's a lot going on.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

Hitler ignored the rest of the world spamming the "don't do the genocide" ping button. How does it feel to be on the same side as Hitler?

If you're not on your allies screen for them to see the mosh as it starts, you're doing it wrong. Nothing like a dive engage happening juuuuust out of reach of the team :(

e: unless you ping a clumped enemy team 2 seconds before you dive mosh. If that's what you meant, then :yeah:

I do both because I'm at a bad elo

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Sometimes if there's a dude just spamming pings constantly after a while I'll join in and just randomly ping poo poo all over the drat map because that's clearly what we're doing. Ping the core, ping the keep, ping that minion. Ping ping ping!

It's usually more fun than the misery of what's going on in the actual game by that point.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Toshimo posted:

The game occurs in real time. If I was doing that, I probably had eyes on the other team and knew we had an opportunity. Instead, you missed your opening, waited for a minion wave and fresh heroes to show up and botched it.

So, yeah, the lesson here was probably to respond to pings and directions instead of blinding flailing around.

This is an assholish response, but the basis is true. Pinging to do an action in a window of opportunity now is not the same as doing that action 45 seconds later.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Every time you die, spam pings on the nearest friendly hero (even if they are a lane over)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Toshimo posted:

The game occurs in real time. If I was doing that, I probably had eyes on the other team and knew we had an opportunity. Instead, you missed your opening, waited for a minion wave and fresh heroes to show up and botched it.

So, yeah, the lesson here was probably to respond to pings and directions instead of blinding flailing around.

*extremely TotalBiscuit voice*

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

If you are busy playing your teams characters and telling them where to be and what to do, who is playing your character?

namaste

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My mighty skill divided by five is still more than yours!!!

e: you'res*

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Fried Watermelon posted:

If you are busy playing your teams characters and telling them where to be and what to do, who is playing your character?

namaste

luckily since I'm support I don't need to do much more than sit and soak while I beg someone to please rotate or not leave me alone while they engage in that team fight 3v4 3 levels down over the vision tower

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hey, I'm a hot guy with big muscles who's getting back into this game after a while -- where do I go to find acceptable builds nowadays? I've been playing around with a lot of the new characters who I don't really have a feel for yet, and even some of my old mainstays have had their talents switched around a lot since I last played em.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Coolness Averted posted:

luckily since I'm support I don't need to do much more than sit and soak while I beg someone to please rotate or not leave me alone while they engage in that team fight 3v4 3 levels down over the vision tower

My favorite thing in the world is getting a draft that communciates, wants to draft a 2 support comp, lets me play Angry Uther, and then no one will lane with me so I can build stacks early on my Q quest. Like, guys, I could have most of the 80 stacks after the first clash, and for sure all of them before the first objective if there was just someone else here with me.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Hey, I'm a hot guy with big muscles who's getting back into this game after a while -- where do I go to find acceptable builds nowadays? I've been playing around with a lot of the new characters who I don't really have a feel for yet, and even some of my old mainstays have had their talents switched around a lot since I last played em.

Icy-veins has nice guides I think, you can just look at the builds, or you can read the whole thing and get some good tips.

The details on the Anniversary event is up: http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/20719773/heroes-of-the-storms-second-anniversary-5-24-2017 . Basically 1 loot chest every day for playing 1 game, from 30th May to 12th June, so 14 in total. You can also get a spray, banner and portrait for playing 3 games.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I also like to peek at mcintyre's build list https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tuaW9f-m7x-ukrWvgy2REb-3xnGfZ4bM0K0_4toTyPA/preview

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anniversary event - 2 weeks of one free loot chest every day. Other than the loot chests, there's a banner, spray, and portrait.

They've got a kick-off stream one week in through (:airquote: kick-off :airquote:) so we may get more stuff announced in the middle.

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/20719773/heroes-of-the-storms-second-anniversary-5-24-2017

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Every time you die, spam pings on the nearest friendly hero (even if they are a lane over)

Especially if they are a lane over. Excuse me, what could possibly be so important that you are not fighting the enemy bad guys with me, the carry, right now!!!!!

Also I am a triple-pinger if I think something is super important to tell my team. I also try to be nice and ping "I'm coming pings" too, so I'm probably like a 6 or 7 on a scale of 10 of ping monsters.

I appreciate triple pings as well from my team, since I sometimes miss it.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 25, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

BrianBoitano posted:

so we may get more stuff announced in the middle.

Finally they're gonna announce Junkrat and Kil'ruk the Windreaver

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

whalestory posted:

Sometimes I appreciate repeated pings because in my inattentional blindness I may have missed the first few :)

A lot of people have this issue. It's hilarious people are clutching pearls over a few pings instead of one. Maybe play a single player game?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
It's a little weird they're not staggering events a bit better. At this rate I imagine the d3 necro will drop during the hots anniversary

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The absolute best is when enemy team is MIA, your tank is a good half-screen ahead of you in the jungle, and you ping retreat. He dies, giving him plenty of time to play his favorite game: Typing Angrily While Dead.

My name is MisterHill, and this is why I double ping.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

exquisite tea posted:

I think Jo is generally a solid pick for HL because she can dive in and still survive even if your team are a bunch of noncommital shitlords.

This is why I play Jo when I solo qm. Also, your blind can save people, and it's never noticed by your teammates.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The problem isn't double or triple ping but double and triple pinging the entire match, acting like everyone is misha

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The problem isn't double or triple ping but double and triple pinging the entire match, acting like everyone is misha

at least misha only counts as .25 exp

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I thought Misha was half like the Meka

Is pilot dva 100%xp?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I thought Misha was half like the Meka

Is pilot dva 100%xp?

Meka and Pilot are both 50%. Misha is 25%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

The absolute best is when enemy team is MIA, your tank is a good half-screen ahead of you in the jungle, and you ping retreat. He dies, giving him plenty of time to play his favorite game: Typing Angrily While Dead.

How I feel when someone dies and types angrily, even if it was in fact my fault: