Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Found a map from the exhibitor's pack, what about meeting near the open gaming area (near where the C is)?

Also I'm thinking of bringing some games. I can bring Space Alert if people are interested and never played the game before :) Also Codex if anyone is interested in giving it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Gravy Jones posted:

Thanks, I'll try and check out a video and see if I like the look of it. The theme will be a hard sell, it's relatively expensive as well.

We're each allowed to buy one game at the expo though :D
It's been out of print for over a year.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Like Talisman?

Have Steam?

[redacted]

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 25, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

A Feast for Odin plays excellently at 2 player, imo.

I think it's perfect at 2P. I've played a 4P game of Feast once and I never, ever want to do that again. It drags the game on for EVER

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

djfooboo posted:

Like Talisman?

Have Steam?

QYXCG-2DHFK-JR07X
Grabbed it! Thank you.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

Grabbed it! Thank you.

PMUSHHHH :argh:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Kashuno posted:

Sometimes you just wanna Fantasy Candyland :shrug:

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/talisman-bundle

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kashuno posted:

I grabbed it so my girlfriend and I can play terrible games together. :shobon:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gravy Jones posted:

Are there any good two player worker placement games? Most of the ones I've played or seen feel like they wouldn't work well with two. A strong theme (Sci-fi/Fantasy would be cool, but understand that most are probably historical, no straight up horror though) that lends itself to some kind of implied narrative would be good and not too complex, this is for a 9 year old, but he has a fair bit of boardgame experience and can play games that skew a little older than that.

I've seen Lords of Waterdeep suggested in the past. Is that any good for two?

I guess there's probably a recommendation thread for this kind of thing, but I'll try here for now.

Agricola proper is good with two, if cut throat.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

I grabbed it so my girlfriend and I can play terrible games together. :shobon:

I suppose that's fine :v:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Gravy Jones posted:

Are there any good two player worker placement games? Most of the ones I've played or seen feel like they wouldn't work well with two. A strong theme (Sci-fi/Fantasy would be cool, but understand that most are probably historical, no straight up horror though) that lends itself to some kind of implied narrative would be good and not too complex, this is for a 9 year old, but he has a fair bit of boardgame experience and can play games that skew a little older than that.

I guess there's probably a recommendation thread for this kind of thing, but I'll try here for now.

Dungeon Petz for two is pretty fun. Different beast than with 3 or 4

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the feedback on dadgames. I'm going to look at Tak, and Battleline is a great suggestion. I already have Lost Cities and probably won't double dip something so similar, but I probably wouldn't have considered it without the suggestion.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

For 2 player worker placement dude:
I feel like Targi isn't recommended enough here. It may or may not be out of print. I don't keep tabs on these things after I own the game haha.

For dad game abstract dude:
I don't know how rules dense you think it would be, but I recently played Pixel Tactics and think it's real good. It's entirely card based, but there are only really two pages of rules. It can fit into a deckbox if needed.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Gravy Jones posted:

I have waterdeep and it plays fine with 2 player but the expansion is a must. The base game can be a bit stale but the xpack opens it up. Just make sure to google about which intrigue and quest cards to take out. Most people remove intrigue cards that no one uses or very rarely used.

Seconding feast for Odin playing very well with 2players. Getting hold of the game is going to be your problem though.

While not a worker placement, castles of burgundy is a great two player and cheap (20 bucks).

Feast for Odin is actually back in stock at coolstuffinc. They did a restock a couple of weeks ago and they sold out in under two days so bear that in mind.

Tai fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 25, 2017

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Fields of arle is 2 player only worker placement game.

Also as someone else mentioned, targi if you can find it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSQ2aN-erB0

Haha wow talk about an obnoxious demo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm the 50 second intro that shows the channel name 15 times.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kashuno posted:

I think it's perfect at 2P. I've played a 4P game of Feast once and I never, ever want to do that again. It drags the game on for EVER

I actually disagree! 4p feels slower, but not that much. 3p stays snappy the whole way imo. 2p is of course very fast.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I'm the 50 second intro that shows the channel name 15 times.

I'm the comments that point out that they got the rules of their own published game wrong.

Also, the annoying meeple thing they kept doing for scene transitions

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I've heard Three Kingdoms: Redux mentioned a few times in this thread, but don't recall any opinions on whether it was good. So...opinions? Note that my familiarity with Three Kingdoms is pretty much musou games and Red Cliff the movie.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Note that my familiarity with Three Kingdoms is pretty much musou games and Red Cliff the movie.

I mean, that's true for pretty much everyone.

DO NOT PURSUE LU BU!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Gravy Jones posted:

There's no real narrative and it's not super deep, but Mint Works is a fun, inexpensive, basic worker placement game that you can take anywhere. It's the size of an Altoids tin, and the theme is pretty clever. My 13-year-old niece loved it. It even has a solitaire system. The standard rules make a round go pretty quickly, but you can adjust that by just setting a higher score needed to win--I think that actually makes it a more interesting game because it encourages engine-building more.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

My seven year old niece kicked my rear end twice in Dominion yesterday.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I think Argent works really well with two players, for worker placement. But I'm in love with the game so I'm biased.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

My FLGS actually got a copy of A Feast for Odin in and set it aside for me, and I have a 4 day weekend after today. :woop: I can't wait to crack that sucker open.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
There were 5+ copies at BGG in Canuckland here earlier this week and they're all gone now.

Can't imagine how many people already had signed up to be notified the second they got copies.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

CaptainRightful posted:

There's no real narrative and it's not super deep, but Mint Works is a fun, inexpensive, basic worker placement game that you can take anywhere. It's the size of an Altoids tin, and the theme is pretty clever. My 13-year-old niece loved it. It even has a solitaire system. The standard rules make a round go pretty quickly, but you can adjust that by just setting a higher score needed to win--I think that actually makes it a more interesting game because it encourages engine-building more.

I'll second Mint Works.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

GrandpaPants posted:

I've heard Three Kingdoms: Redux mentioned a few times in this thread, but don't recall any opinions on whether it was good. So...opinions? Note that my familiarity with Three Kingdoms is pretty much musou games and Red Cliff the movie.

It's a heavyweight euro that if you like the genre then is as good as it is strictly three players. It's a three player game only. If you can handle that part and play stuff of similar complexity to Le Havre, Caylus, anything by What's Your Game?, etc.; then yes it's very good.

Mechanics-wise each round is mainly divided into an auction phase and a resolution phase. The trick is that your auctions are for action spaces on the board that go off during the resolution phase. It's almost worker placement in that each auctioning piece is one of the characters from Romance of the Three Kingdoms--each one with an individual card showing their stats and special ability--that the players take turns placing until done. Winning auctions on action spaces get to do the action; losers go home.

Victory in the game is interesting in that most of the scoring in that game is based on your ranks in relative areas of the game based on what the other two players did. Sometimes this entails being 1st/2nd/3rd, sometimes this entails how well you did versus the player to your left or right. Also the game has asymmetric sides (the three kingdoms: Wei, Wu, Shu) and there are ton of characters that make for variable games.

I haven't played it as much as I want because it's a 2~3 hour game that needs exactly three players and is heavyweight euro fair. If I had the group for that, this would be top stuff.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Tak is good.

Shadow225 posted:

For dad game abstract dude:
I don't know how rules dense you think it would be, but I recently played Pixel Tactics and think it's real good. It's entirely card based, but there are only really two pages of rules. It can fit into a deckbox if needed.

Pixel Tactics owns and is cheap enough that everyone should give it a shot, but I don't feel like it's really dad/beach friendly. The rules are simple and it's not like you have a million cards (in fact, unless you're going out of your way to do otherwise you'll have an identical ~30 card deck to your opponent) but there's still enough moving parts that it can be a real brain-burning AP inducer in a way that something like chess or Hive or cribbage really aren't. I mean, chess is a heavy, thinky game, but the board state changes very slowly and all information is open. Every card in Pixel Tactics can be played five ways (well, technically four if you don't count choosing Leaders as gameplay) and every one has unique effects, plus you're trying to read your opponent's plans and react to what they might be holding in their hand.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Kamikaze Raider posted:

My FLGS actually got a copy of A Feast for Odin in and set it aside for me, and I have a 4 day weekend after today. :woop: I can't wait to crack that sucker open.

Lucky! Enjoy!

lummawks
Apr 28, 2010
SU&SD are going through all the BGG top 100 games and giving their take/mini-reviews on them. https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/bgg100-60-41/
Why am I not surprised that on the topic of Battlestar Galactica Quinns says he would rather play Shadows over Camelot...

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Thanks for all the worker placement recs.

Will investigate Mint Works, which I've seen before, but didn't know it was supposed to be good. If nothing else catches my eye, might grab Waterdeep for my expo game. The others seem a bit harder to find (out of print etc) and expensive at the moment. Will check out some youtubes though to see if they look good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

lummawks posted:

SU&SD are going through all the BGG top 100 games and giving their take/mini-reviews on them. https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/bgg100-60-41/
Why am I not surprised that on the topic of Battlestar Galactica Quinns says he would rather play Shadows over Camelot...

They nail a lot of other ones though, like calling out Time Stories as being complete poo poo and not deserving of any spot in the top 100.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

lummawks posted:

And then saying Dead of Winter is an unambiguous recommendation.

Also not getting why T&E is good.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Kashuno posted:

That might have been an issue with one of your players. The first game I ever played of it was 4 players and we finished in 2 hours. Everybody else had only played 3 times, so I guess it's possible we played faster due to not having as much of a clue what we are doing, but the opposite can happen as well.

lummawks
Apr 28, 2010

silvergoose posted:

And then saying Dead of Winter is an unambiguous recommendation.

Also not getting why T&E is good.

Oh man I just got to that part. Dead of Winter is "a great storytelling game, and a great co-op game, it obviously looks gorgeous and the writing is great throughout.". The few times I've played Dead of Winter it has failed at storytelling (the crossroads cards rarely trigger if at all, and when they do the consequences are usually toothless), not to mention the inconsistent theme. Maybe it's great at storytelling if your group is telling the story themselves about what is happening, in which case the game has no impact on that. Looks gorgeous? Eh.

BSG has a lot of flaws (especially the expansion) but to me no other game nails the traitor game so well. You have so many options on how to do your dirty business, and even if you get found out you can still do stuff as a revealed cylon. In Shadows over Camelot (and Dead of Winter as well) you might not even have a traitor at all, so are they traitor games or sometimes-traitor-sometimes-just-coop games?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

lummawks posted:

BSG has a lot of flaws (especially the expansion) but to me no other game nails the traitor game so well. You have so many options on how to do your dirty business, and even if you get found out you can still do stuff as a revealed cylon. In Shadows over Camelot (and Dead of Winter as well) you might not even have a traitor at all, so are they traitor games or sometimes-traitor-sometimes-just-coop games?

Have you played Dark Moon? It's less thematic than BSG, but it's a third the length and better balanced.

lummawks
Apr 28, 2010

rydiafan posted:

Have you played Dark Moon? It's less thematic than BSG, but it's a third the length and better balanced.

I tried it but the dice instead of the skill cards makes it feel watered down to me. I don't mind BSGs length at all (my group can knock it out in 1-2h now) and the balance isn't much of an issue since we mostly just play without any of the extra objectives, and use the Defcon variant to keep the cylon attack crises from being feast or famine.

Edit: If I want a short traitor game or I'm gonna be playing with people people new to boardgames, I'll just pull out The Resistance instead.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Don't play Dark Moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lummawks
Apr 28, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Don't play Dark Moon.

p much this