Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

so you know you can grind in an MMO to make in-game money, right

well, in eve, you can buy gametime microtransaction bullshit (plex) with real life money and sell it to other players for in-game money

the whole concept is basically that in reverse -- as in, you grind and make Y isk/hr, which would be worth X amount of real life $/hr if you had bought plex

now compare X real life $/hr to your job, whatever it might be, where you make Z real life $/hr

it's pretty much always going to be the case that Z > X by a long shot

with that in mind, why grind in an mmo when you can just turn some of your discretionary real life income into the isk you need for losing spaceships

The cycle of EVE is thus:

-Join the game and pay real money while envying those who plex their account with isk.
-Spend time ratting to be able to afford your own plex.
-Quit EVE and come back multiple times getting more bitter every time.
-Go back to paying with real money because its smarter

Unless you have a super/rorqual and netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

putting a price on your time like that doesn't work if you weren't going to be working when doing the less efficient thing anyways

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
i have so much sex with my gf playing eve just isn't worth my time tbqh

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
No poors

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

But you still make the time to shitpost about it :v:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhymenoserous posted:

During the fountain invasion I was doing some SC work and trying to stop TEST's well known fleet cyno dude at the time (I forgot his name, always flew a nullified tengu to bridge their fleets in) from getting into a system that the TCU was ticking over on, we had turned him back a few times because we had littered the gate with cans and wrecks at the standard decloak ranges, entre Eingang Vulpine who jumped into my op channel and started ordering my fleet around, and literally dropped a "You had better listen to me I'm a diplo" line when I told her to gently caress off, that we were busy, and I was in all the channels I needed to be in if someone wanted me to move legit (No one knew why she felt the need to flounce in and order someone around, sooo).

I only interacted with her a little bit while at TMC and she was an amazingly stupid person who found new ways each day to impress me with her idiocy.

ChickenWing posted:

pubbies pulling space rank is probably the most incredibly lol thing in eve

It's right up there next to "you're just jealous I play a video game for a living" line that some Twitch people use when people point out how dumb they are.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Lawn had montly alliance meetings on mumble where she would talk for an hour how she was great at running the alliance.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

so you know you can grind in an MMO to make in-game money, right

well, in eve, you can buy gametime microtransaction bullshit (plex) with real life money and sell it to other players for in-game money

the whole concept is basically that in reverse -- as in, you grind and make Y isk/hr, which would be worth X amount of real life $/hr if you had bought plex

now compare X real life $/hr to your job, whatever it might be, where you make Z real life $/hr

it's pretty much always going to be the case that Z > X by a long shot

with that in mind, why grind in an mmo when you can just turn some of your discretionary real life income into the isk you need for losing spaceships

depends, I can chill out on comms and do 400m+ h, which isn't all bad

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

Just because you named your right hand Shirley does not mean you have a gf globby.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Oodles posted:

Something something xander phoena

oodles pls

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Endie posted:

It's amazing how Blawrf was a hero who did hundreds of hours of work in every war first as recon head then as a highly successful skymarshal, then got upset about a situation which is nothing like what you describe - he wasn't "coming back" at the time, and he didn't demand to be in charge of anything: he had just gone to have a operation after various assurances - and now it turns out that he never did anything and was in fact a monstrous carbuncle on the face of a well-loved friend.

As to "lawl if you had no fun ever blame blawrf" everyone here knows that the "don't fight unless you are guaranteed a win; never give the enemy fun" strategy comes right from the very top, not from each of the individual skymarshals who implemented that order. Blawrf wasn't, for instance, in charge during World War Bee and that was the absolutely defining strategy then.

It's also slightly disingenuous to say that goonswarm wasn't a place where an FC could decide to invade someone. Sure, they couldn't just make a post saying "tomorrow we invade Tenal" but I don't know any alliance - even PL - where that is true, except possibly those where the head of the alliance is also the chief FC (pretty rare these days). Vee or Laz or (infamously on one occasion years ago) DBRB would say "yo we should invade Provi/Delve/Esoteria" and mittens would usually talk it through and then let them go with it. It might be different now but that was the case for years: an FC wanted to lead a campaign, and a campaign got led. It was most often Vee, and what changed there is that he could just deploy with EG without having to FC mainfleet so he understandably stopped doing the wider stuff.

Man this is a perfect example of a problem. Just because someone does their lovely spacejob doesn't mean they give a gently caress about people that play eve. Do you know how hard it was to get WH info from blawrf? He would never give out that info or have any interest in making in available to others because playing eve and day tripping through WHs to third party a fight held zero interest with him because he didn't play eve.

Directors like blawrf who didn't play eve lead directly to the state of affairs that plagued us in deklein where we were never opportunistic. We we never proactive about looking for ways to kill our enemy. We had no interest in things like dread caches or going through WHs to third party fights because the people like blawrf didn't loving play and thus had no interest in any sort of opportunistic, aggressive behavior that most people would consider 'fun'. I'm sure he was good at his job if we had a big invasion going on but talking to blawrf about something like popping out of a WH to third party a fight in provi and how that would be fun was like explaining to ted cruz why people like going roller coasters.

Directors that don't play eve are going to be satisfied with simply keeping the status quo going. They're not going to be hungry, they're not going to want to be looking for opportunities to flex nuts.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the simple fact that he turned into a giant piss baby after being fired speaks volumes about his motivation for his spacejob. Anyone that gets asked to step down because of inactivity and then shits himself because they no longer have space power is doing it for the wrong loving reasons. I think Innominate does his job because at the end of the day he enjoys playing eve with goons. I think MIrana does her job because she enjoys playing eve with goons. I can't say the same for blawrf and you're loving retarded if you think otherwise.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
how bout we skip the "get mad at old poo poo" bitter-vet cycle and jump directly to discussing sous vide and boiled ribs?

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

Reverand maynard posted:

Man this is a perfect example of a problem. Just because someone does their lovely spacejob doesn't mean they give a gently caress about people that play eve. Do you know how hard it was to get WH info from blawrf? He would never give out that info or have any interest in making in available to others because playing eve and day tripping through WHs to third party a fight held zero interest with him because he didn't play eve.

Directors like blawrf who didn't play eve lead directly to the state of affairs that plagued us in deklein where we were never opportunistic. We we never proactive about looking for ways to kill our enemy. We had no interest in things like dread caches or going through WHs to third party fights because the people like blawrf didn't loving play and thus had no interest in any sort of opportunistic, aggressive behavior that most people would consider 'fun'. I'm sure he was good at his job if we had a big invasion going on but talking to blawrf about something like popping out of a WH to third party a fight in provi and how that would be fun was like explaining to ted cruz why people like going roller coasters.

Directors that don't play eve are going to be satisfied with simply keeping the status quo going. They're not going to be hungry, they're not going to want to be looking for opportunities to flex nuts.

Edit: I am a bad bad boy.

Altran fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 25, 2017

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Do we get a reset on page 1000?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Altran posted:

Halfway through reading that I mistakenly thought you were talking about Mittens.

mittens is the only person I don't get upset about because he's one of the only alliance leaders that doesn't use his position to buy himself and friends faction supercaps and AT ships.

If the other directors that he interacts with don't actually play eve though then there is a huge problem. Basic things like "are mainfleet comms complete garbage?" go completely unnoticed because no one in charge actually goes on those fleets. Like I said its no coincidence that after people like blawrf got fired and replaced by people that play eve we had directors going "man having non garbage logi that used cap chains would be fun" or "machs and proteus are dope why don't we have those?" or "after every single fleet I wind up contemplating a plane ticket to germany and executing a certain german" things started getting resolved.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Reverand maynard posted:

"after every single fleet I wind up contemplating a plane ticket to germany and executing a certain german"

How is Soth doing these days?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

lmao

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

anyways in case you missed my point gently caress you endie and gently caress blawrf

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I didn't play eve for the like 2 years I had my space jobs so where do I fall

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

vyst posted:

Somewhere on the spectrum for sure.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

vyst posted:

Blawrf is a really good dude and did a ton of really good things for goons. The way he left was lovely and it rubbed people the wrong way. He has admitted that the way he left was probably less than ideal but we are all emotional creatures. If you still harbor ill will towards the man go get your sadbrain checked.

^^^ This is right

Reverand maynard posted:

the simple fact that he turned into a giant piss baby after being fired speaks volumes about his motivation for his spacejob. Anyone that gets asked to step down because of inactivity and then shits himself because they no longer have space power is doing it for the wrong loving reasons. I think Innominate does his job because at the end of the day he enjoys playing eve with goons. I think MIrana does her job because she enjoys playing eve with goons. I can't say the same for blawrf and you're loving retarded if you think otherwise.

^^^ This is wrong, but fair play: a hyper-loyal party-line wrong

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

frozenphil posted:

Somewhere on the spectrum for sure.

Games > The MMO HMO > EVE Online 2017: We are Somewhere on the spectrum, For Sure.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Oodles posted:

Do we get a reset on page 1000?

You mean everyone isn't hoping that EVE dies by then?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

vyst posted:

you were part of the disconnected directorate but at least you generally didn't stick your nose into other people's business like other bitter vets did. But you also didn't ever go on fleets so subjects like "we're rich and flying lovely doctrines while our enemies are balling out in proteus fleets why can't we"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

staberind posted:

Games > The MMO HMO > EVE Online 2017: We are Somewhere on the spectrum, For Sure.

I like the emphasise on "For Sure". Because it's a guarantee.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I have never touted the party line dipshit. I've raged against lovely directors and everything in general the entire time I've been in goonswarm. I just have a passion for hating on directors that are bitter has beens that stick around for the sole purpose of feeling like they have big dicks in a lovely dying MMO. My animosity towards blawrf comes from well before his rage out. Dealing with him when I was a spy in NC. was the worst because he was completely unwilling to ever be proactive and was content to use me as nothing more than an early warning for NC invading. NC would do poo poo like using proteus/oneiros only fleets with kin/therm hardeners and I'll tell blawrf "hey don't bring rail tengus because they're going to be shooting into 96% resists" and he wouldn't pass it along or do anything. Literally the only person who I interacted with that was willing to actually act on any intel I provided was dbrb

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Main fleets are fine until some moron lets boat into command chat thus ruining no chatter. I completely get that people want to sperg with their friends in fleet comms so whatever; we have no chatter for the rest of us who would rather watch netflix and shoot space mans. I have no patience for space important assholes making GBS threads up command chat with their stupid bullshit. I'd love to do more squad/sig level stuff, but I'm in a funky TZ (late US West Coast) so I'm resigned to just maintaining my tower farm during the week and shooting space mans in fleets on the weekends.

Edit: This was to say that while I don't hate boat, I'll never go on a fleet with him again. I don't need that poo poo in my life.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 26, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Like I"m not really sure why I have to argue with you about the fact that directors who don't actually play eve are poo poo because they don't have that hunger to get kills and don't feel the need to innovate. the most that can ever be said about them is they keep the status quo going.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

frozenphil posted:

Main fleets are fine until some moron lets boat into command chat thus ruining no chatter. I completely get that people want to sperg with their friends in fleet comms so whatever; we have no chatter for the rest of us who would rather watch netflix and shoot space mans. I have no patience for space important assholes making GBS threads up command chat with their stupid bullshit. I'd love to do more squad/sig level stuff, but I'm in a funky TZ (late US West Coast) so I'm resigned to just maintaining my tower farm during the week and shooting space mans in fleets on the weekends.

main fleet is pretty fun now (or was, kinda on hiatus right now). Comms still need improvement but we have a solid corps of good logi pilots and the f1 pushers have slowly learned how to do complex tasks such as refitting from AC to arty when told to.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'm all loving hyped up on vyvanse get at me

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Reverand maynard posted:

Like I"m not really sure why I have to argue with you about the fact that directors who don't actually play eve are poo poo because they don't have that hunger to get kills and don't feel the need to innovate. the most that can ever be said about them is they keep the status quo going.

Can you tell us more about the time you ran a squad/sig and how much better you were at it than anyone else?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

frozenphil posted:

Can you tell us more about the time you ran a squad/sig and how much better you were at it than anyone else?

I never ran poo poo

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Reverand maynard posted:

main fleet is pretty fun now (or was, kinda on hiatus right now). Comms still need improvement but we have a solid corps of good logi pilots and the f1 pushers have slowly learned how to do complex tasks such as refitting from AC to arty when told to.

Yep, I still enjoy main fleet stuff. The only thing that ruins it for me are assholes making GBS threads up command chat.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

frozenphil posted:

Yep, I still enjoy main fleet stuff. The only thing that ruins it for me are assholes making GBS threads up command chat.

Yeah that's probably one of the last main problems main fleet has but dear god has everything else about it improved over the past three years.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
Mainfleet is fine, but Space Violence is where its at!

This is from one evening of fighting earlier this week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtU6OfFlgiA
Flying logi in those Moa fleets is absolutely awesome. rep everything :catdrugs:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nex posted:

how bout we skip the "get mad at old poo poo" bitter-vet cycle and jump directly to discussing sous vide and boiled ribs?

I bought a crockpot recently..

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Unfunny Poster posted:

I bought a crockpot recently..

crockpots are fine and dandy, very practical, but i feel like the flavors often end up being a bit more bland than traditional cooking. Thoughts?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dalael posted:

crockpots are fine and dandy, very practical, but i feel like the flavors often end up being a bit more bland than traditional cooking. Thoughts?

crockpot doesn't do any malliard reaction or caramelization, unless you maybe have it set up juuuuust right. so you need to start things in a pan and sear to get all the good brown flavor.

or you do what most old crockpot recipes do and use cream of mushroom soup or canned baked beans or whatever else that's got a lot of added flavors already and cook like it's 1979.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yeah sear that poo poo in butter in a pan and then put it in a crock pot

• Locked thread