Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The Lone Badger posted:

Or Q-Beam. Operators are resistant to bullets (pistol and shotgun) because of their metal chassis, but Science! goes right through it.
Note that upgrading the Q-beam can make it much more ammo efficient. It always loads 100 cells at a time, extending the firing time means it fires for longer using those same 100 cells.

Another good choice.

My favourite things to shoot with the Q beam were technopaths and telepaths, as they like to float away quite a distance. But they can't escape science.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
You can also use the electrostatic burst typhon power to deal with endgame operators - it won't kill them outright unless they're already damaged, but it'll take off lots of their health and disable them for a few seconds so you can finish the job with a weapon or a kinetic blast. It's also AoE, so you can knock out multiple operators with a single use if they're bunched up.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I didn't try kinetic blast. How's it compare to psychoshock? That was my go to offensive power for organics. I like how you can take mimics out and the basic phantoms with it.

For the big guys I might mindjack them so they stand still longer for easy shotgunning.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 25, 2017

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I didn't try kinetic blast. How's it compare to psychoshock? That was my go to offensive power for organics. I like how you can take mimics out and the basic phantoms with it.

For the big guys I might mindjack them so they stand still longer for easy shotgunning.

I often used kinetic blast for the moving objects portion of the power than the damage portion, and that was only because you can't take leverage on a Typhon mod only playthrough. Psychoshock is just too useful in terms of being both a disable and direct damage, and the other elemental powers are better AoE effects.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
I found kinetic blast to be a useful follow up to psychoshock because you can use it while psychoshock is on cooldown and the damage is high enough to kill most things if you've softened them up with psychoshock first.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I just machine-minded half of the operators and pretended it's a private Robot Wars show.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I stun them and then hack them. Wish hacked operators would follow you around instead of just kind of going off on their own.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

D-Pad posted:

Does Alex's tracking bracelet do anything?

Fun story, first time through I took it with me without even registering what it was. I kept noticing Alex was 'stalking' me when I checked crew monitoring, always in the same area as me, the crafty bugger I thought, and if I tried to track him it just did nothing. Then, much later, "Oh, right, I got his thing. Duh..."

Also, someone said the stun gun can re-activate some powered down computers a few pages ago? Can anyone confirm? Do I have to do another playthrough, for the chance at some sweet sweet unspoilt interoffice emails?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Another good choice.

My favourite things to shoot with the Q beam were technopaths and telepaths, as they like to float away quite a distance. But they can't escape science.

The Q-Beam does terribly messy things to Weavers faster than you'd expect as well.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I have another story with Alex's bracelet. During the latter half of the game when Dahl arrived I did the mission to deactivate my bracelet. Dahl went 'ok, that's smart but I'll get to your brother first, in fact I'm sending operators his way right now'. I was like 'wait a minute' and opened my inventory - I still had Alex's bracelet there. When I closed the inventory 3 operators flew from the floor below up to where I was standing...

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Unormal posted:

(P.S. also anyone who liked this game should play Soma immediately)

Absolutely agreed.

I had bought SOMA on sale a couple weekends before Prey launched, and made a promise to myself to beat it before I could buy Prey. I spent a better part of the day playing the back 2/3rds of SOMA and it was engrossing; it first started as a "I just need to get through this so I can buy Prey" and ended with "poo poo, that was amazing. I need a break for a day or two and let this all sink in".

I didn't start on Prey for another couple of days.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Jawnycat posted:

Also, someone said the stun gun can re-activate some powered down computers a few pages ago? Can anyone confirm? Do I have to do another playthrough, for the chance at some sweet sweet unspoilt interoffice emails?

No, I don't think you can zap unpowered computers and have them turn on, or at least I couldn't get it to work, and I zapped the poo poo out of a few.

There's a living quarters reserved for your parents with a dead computer in it, and I really wanted to see what was on it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would avoid raising expectations for SOMA too much by painting it as the second coming but it is definitely very good and worth playing. One of the only horror games I've put up with, and it was worth it

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Palpek posted:

I have another story with Alex's bracelet. During the latter half of the game when Dahl arrived I did the mission to deactivate my bracelet. Dahl went 'ok, that's smart but I'll get to your brother first, in fact I'm sending operators his way right now'. I was like 'wait a minute' and opened my inventory - I still had Alex's bracelet there. When I closed the inventory 3 operators flew from the floor below up to where I was standing...

Tell me the next step and tell me if it worked...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Prey activated some switch in me that reminded me why I love games. I've been catching up with long overdue classics as a result, tracking the game's lineage.

Currently on Dead Space, having just finished Dishonored. I've heard a lot of good things about DS over the years, but jump scare horror is just not my thing. Got a literal headache yesterday from the sudden loud noises. I'm going to try to persevere because survival on a derelict space station totally is my thing, and the Ishimura is a compelling dungeon (plus I hear some sort of eye needles are eventually involved).

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rinkles posted:

Prey activated some switch in me that reminded me why I love games. I've been catching up with long overdue classics as a result, tracking the game's lineage.

Currently on Dead Space, having just finished Dishonored. I've heard a lot of good things about DS over the years, but jump scare horror is just not my thing. Got a literal headache yesterday from the sudden loud noises. I'm going to try to persevere because survival on a derelict space station totally is my thing, and the Ishimura is a compelling dungeon (plus I hear some sort of eye needles are eventually involved).

I really liked Dead Space. It pulled a lot of *Shock loveletters (not as much as Prey). Although it does rely on jump-scares a lot, but then there's moments like just walking down an entire long hallway with tons of areas for things to pop out... and nothing happens. It's almost worse than a jump scare. It does suffer similar problems is you end up being an unstoppable god of death in the end. A little moreso in DS2, and lets not talk about DS3 because ugh.

I think some of my favorite non-horror moments are in DS2 with the baby nursery :stonk: and when you revisit the Ishimura and it's all covered in white tarp all over exactly how it was. It's extremely unnerving

Xaris fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 25, 2017

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

I don't suppose a February operator could do all that, could they. January seems smart but very limited. No actually that's silly.

This is something I've been thinking about honestly, in regards to the ending bit.

December as an AI is pretty awful. It's very basic and obviously an early attempt.

January is....better? But it's still pretty awful. It constantly references it's programming. It can't make choices for itself. It can't think about anything outside of it's programming directives.

Neither really seems to be a fully free AI, instead they seem to be more like very simple programs.

There's the book you find in Morgan's room that references some rich guy that made a AI of himself and gave his inheritance to it, but we can't know how indepth it is/how true it is to him. Considering Transtar doesn't have anything similar, and instead only has stuff like January as it's best showing of this on it's most high tech station, it's really easy to assume this rich dude just made a slightly better January with more programming loops since he had more time then Morgan did.

The Operators at the end are all capable of deciding how to approach the Typhon Morgan issue. They have varied responses depending on how/what the tMorgan did, including stuff that'd be very difficult for a machine to understand like Mikhaila's fathers recording. They seem to have worked on the simulation alongside Alex, considering they must have introduced their own memories/stimuli/issues into the simulation they wanted to see how tMorgan responded to. There's also no reference/implication that Transtar has recordings of it's employees consciousness, or even has the ability to do stuff like that. Hell they are still dabbling into the idea of memory wipes and how that effects a person.

My first thought when I saw them was that Alex was the only survivor, but looking at it, I have to think they are all alive and just hiding out in a separate safer room.

e: At the very least play Dead Space 2. Dead Space 1 apes the Resident Evil games moreso, and while it's a fun game, it's a pretty simple thing. Dead Space 2 is where they took the formula, figured it out, and turned it into a real loving nightmare. Exploring a living breathing space station that is still populated as it falls to something like the Necromorphs is a real treat. 3 has some neat ideas but also changes the formula in a lot of negative ways. It's got a great first few hours though, so I'd suggest at least picking it up for the first half of the game.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 25, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Rookersh posted:

e: At the very least play Dead Space 2. Dead Space 1 apes the Resident Evil games moreso, and while it's a fun game, it's a pretty simple thing. Dead Space 2 is where they took the formula, figured it out, and turned it into a real loving nightmare. Exploring a living breathing space station that is still populated as it falls to something like the Necromorphs is a real treat. 3 has some neat ideas but also changes the formula in a lot of negative ways. It's got a great first few hours though, so I'd suggest at least picking it up for the first half of the game.

DS3 has enough going for it that I would still recommend people play it if they've already gone through 1 and 2. The weapon crafting system actually works pretty well and is the highlight of the game, the main problem is that once you actually get down to the planet it becomes apparent how troubled the development of the game was. Copy/pasted areas everywhere, especially in the side missions which almost all use exactly the same layout. Lots of backtracking to pad the game time. Terrible microtransaction system. Almost every encounter being either a swarm of the emaciated necros or the black parka ones. That loving giant headcrab boss.

It's a lot to overlook but the underlying Dead Space gameplay is still fun enough that it's worth checking out, even if you have to download Origin for it since they won't put it on Steam like the other two.

e: The whole co-op thing is hilarious as well if you're only doing it single-player. Carver is never anywhere to be seen, then will just teleport to your side for cutscenes with no explanation of how the hell he got there.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 25, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

DS3 has enough going for it that I would still recommend people play it if they've already gone through 1 and 2. The weapon crafting system actually works pretty well and is the highlight of the game, the main problem is that once you actually get down to the planet it becomes apparent how troubled the development of the game was. Copy/pasted areas everywhere, especially in the side missions which almost all use exactly the same layout. Lots of backtracking to pad the game time. Terrible microtransaction system. Almost every encounter being either a swarm of the emaciated necros or the black parka ones. That loving giant headcrab boss.

It's a lot to overlook but the underlying Dead Space gameplay is still fun enough that it's worth checking out, even if you have to download Origin for it since they won't put it on Steam like the other two.

I liked the co-op side missions, with Player 2 controlling John Carver losing his loving mind and having a fun little psychotic trip while Isaac just has to babysit them through it, completely unable to see whatever guilt-induced madness Player 2's experiencing. That and they did a pretty good job of shuffling Carver off/onscreen for story cutscenes if you're playing the game solo (he's off doing his own objectives rather than riding shotgun with Isaac).

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

e: The whole co-op thing is hilarious as well if you're only doing it single-player. Carver is never anywhere to be seen, then will just teleport to your side for cutscenes with no explanation of how the hell he got there.

Not quite, he just comes up from behind Isaac like he's just barely caught up with you. There's a few scattered conversations over the radio through the game implying he's either nearby doing his own poo poo.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

It'll turn out that Morgan is in the next room asleep and snoring so they can become the voice of mission control in the sequel or something

If you want my insane theory there's a note somewhere that mentions typhon outbreaks happening on the station before, obviously not as bad but still happening, and after they get under control, staff starts getting mindwiped so they didn't see their friend get mummified and start having second thoughts, except for the upper echelons, so Dayo, Sarah, Danielle, and Mikhaila all started building operators with their personalities in secret. All hands were lost when Real Morgan blew up the station except Morgan, who survived by going mimic and floating through space before ending up on the Argus Installation that's mentioned several times as an ultra-blacksite also in orbit of the moon, and the crew-operators, who could just fly over easy enough.

Morgan takes over Argus in the chaos of whatever event causes the typhonization of Earth, and starts building typhon clones from their own genetic material and operator personality uploads to run the sims. Real Morgan figured (trial and error, maybe) that typhon-morgan waking up and seeing Real Morgan would gently caress up the tests so Real Morgan created a LG of Alex to serve as a liason with the experiments. Real Morgan is in the next room monitoring everything and preparing for the next step. Also it's been 100 years since the events on Talos.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any game that let's you sell off your one and only weapon at the first opportunity, consequences be damned, is dope in my book. (Dead Space)

People have mentioned it in this thread before, but the System Shock influences run deeper than I thought. This is a more disciplined, intelligent game than I was lead to believe. If I wasn't as big of a wuss this might be an all time favorite.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I was a post-modem video on DS3 that made it seem like the devs were going for the second protag to be a head space Isaac, to further emphasize he was going nuts from his experiences.

Of course, EA gonna EA and axed that as they thought it was too complicated, and players got a ham-fisted second protagonist.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rinkles posted:

If I wasn't as big of a wuss this might be an all time favorite.
It is definitely tense as gently caress. Even though I was an unstoppable shotgun god and probably only a 5 minute quick-save away, I was basically holding my breath the entire time and had to take a break every few hours just to breath.

(also don't play with Combat Focus)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Xaris posted:

It is definitely tense as gently caress. Even though I was an unstoppable shotgun god and probably only a 5 minute quick-save away, I was basically holding my breath the entire time and had to take a break every few hours just to breath.

(also don't play with Combat Focus)

Hehe, I was still taking about DS. Prey is an all time favorite!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

from when it first launched to this day people still compare dead space to system shock and i never, ever felt the same way about it. i always considered it resident evil 4 in space more than anything.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

from when it first launched to this day people still compare dead space to system shock and i never, ever felt the same way about it. i always considered it resident evil 4 in space more than anything.

RE4 is the major inspiration. It is more subtly Shock-like (ignoring the setting, audio logs and explicit homages). It trusts the player with handlings its systems. Upgrades aren't abstracted into a seperate layer, they essentially use the same currency everything else does, and it's your responsibility to balance that. It doesn't tell you to stomp item boxes, or weaponize sharp dismembered appendages with kinesis, it let's you figure these, sometimes minor, things out. I initially thought the diegetic UI showed a superficial commitment to immersion, but you can genuinely feel it everywhere in the design of the game. It's not an immersive sim, but it's taken some lessons from them.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I never really similar gameplay vibes from DS1, but I thought the whole "and now you need to go to hydroponics to clear out horrible choking organic unpleasantness" was a deliberate nod.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Ending question:

On my empathy run I got a line from the Danielle operator about how a lot of mind controlled humans were killed. I didn't kill anyone though, just blasted them with the stun gun. I got the achievements for not killing anyone and saving everyone so I know I didn't screw it up, is that just a generic line she gives to everyone or is something bugged?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I didn't get that line. It's possible that some of the controlled humans wandered into fire or some other environmental hazard, which sucks but it can happen

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Cicadalek posted:

I didn't get that line. It's possible that some of the controlled humans wandered into fire or some other environmental hazard, which sucks but it can happen

Yeah this happened to me in the Gym. Also bugged out the treasure hunt quest :( I think they patched it so quest at least works now

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Rinkles posted:

RE4 is the major inspiration. It is more subtly Shock-like (ignoring the setting, audio logs and explicit homages). It trusts the player with handlings its systems. Upgrades aren't abstracted into a seperate layer, they essentially use the same currency everything else does, and it's your responsibility to balance that. It doesn't tell you to stomp item boxes, or weaponize sharp dismembered appendages with kinesis, it let's you figure these, sometimes minor, things out.

Not sure if there's a tip telling you to stomp boxes, but weaponizing necro limbs was added in DS2. You can figure it out and do it from the beginning, but if you don't there's a video log later on which tells you really blatantly how to do it.

But enough about Dead Space. Almost done with my second playthrough of Prey and I'm curious to see how my ending plays out. I killed January before she could kill December, and I'm at the point where pretty soon I'll have to make the choice of whether or not to destroy the station. I'm going to start the self-destruct timer and then bail using Alex's escape pod. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was annoyed that you cannot start the self destruct timer and then use the null wave device

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Not sure if there's a tip telling you to stomp boxes, but weaponizing necro limbs was added in DS2.

I'll shut up about DS after this (sorry thread), but I've been harpooning necromorphs with their own claws since I tried using kinesis in combat (in Dead Space 1). Are you saying DS2 made it an explicit mechanic?

I like it when games promote creative solutions not just for the heck of it but by limited resources naturally pushing you towards alternatives to brute force. Prey does this well too.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 25, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I'll shut up about DS after this (sorry thread), but I've been harpooning necromorphs with their own claws since I tried using kinesis in combat (in Dead Space 1). Are you saying DS2 made it an explicit mechanic?

Could have sworn I was right so I looked it up on the DS wiki:

quote:

In the original Dead Space, throwing sharp objects at Necromorphs will damage them, which they will also do in Dead Space: Extraction. Dead Space 2 heightened this concept by introducing impalement to the series. In Dead Space 2, sharp objects shot at Necromorphs will impale them, and even send them flying towards the nearest surface behind them if their health is low enough. Impalement in Dead Space 2 does massive damage, and will almost always kill regular Necromorphs with a single object.

Maybe that's why I'm getting it wrong. I never really bothered with it in DS1, I'm guessing shooting a necromorph blade arm will cause damage but just kind of bounce off the target the same as if you threw a box or anything else. In DS2 the limbs are more clearly designed as weapons and will stick in whoever you shoot them at, though I think it takes two limbs to kill a normal necromorph on zealot difficulty with body shots. There's a video of a guy showing you how to do it early in the game.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Cicadalek posted:

Nah, I double checked everyone to make sure they were ok after every fight. I made sure to tase the guy closest to the fire in crew quarters first to make sure he didn't hit it. Did you tase everyone or kill the telepath first? Or knock them out of it with whichever power frees them?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Could have sworn I was right so I looked it up on the DS wiki:

Maybe that's why I'm getting it wrong. I never really bothered with it in DS1, I'm guessing shooting a necromorph blade arm will cause damage but just kind of bounce off the target the same as if you threw a box or anything else. In DS2 the limbs are more clearly designed as weapons and will stick in whoever you shoot them at, though I think it takes two limbs to kill a normal necromorph on zealot difficulty with body shots. There's a video of a guy showing you how to do it early in the game.

I've certainly one shot killed undamaged necromorphs with flung necroblades, playing on medium. Which is why it felt so rewarding. (Shutting up now).

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The presentation suffers a bit once you meet talking NPCs who behave very Bethesda-ly. eg. when the Nightmare killed a few people in the Cargo Bay before I killed it and a survivor immediately walked to each body and quietly reminisced about them as if they hadn't just been torn to pieces eight seconds ago.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Does Mind Jack release controlled humans permanently? How does it stack up against other Typhon skills? I wanted it to be my first Typhon skill but I am not finding anything to scan.

Do different types of Typhon attack each other without outside interference? I heard a poltergeist in the exotic materials store room right before I fixed the Hull Breach that locked that area down. When I finally was able to enter, I found a ??? Typhon Body on the ground and a phantom wandering around.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mind Jack literally just renders mind controlled humans unconscious, the same exact result as stunning them or killing the Telepath. It's not a very useful skill but you can use it to make Phantoms friendly long enough for two good Shotgun blasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

There's only a couple of places with mind controlled humans, isn't there? crew quarters and the greenhouse, and the single one in the trauma centre