Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

I don't believe this is true by the way. It's never reached more than that level because the parties on offer are just not good enough. Almost nobody likes the PvdA, they always just got votes because SP was seen as too closed off and sectarian (and too oriented on Brabant while PvdA has always claimed the north), and the greens were seen as one issue and elitist. I don't think that there's an absolute limit on the amount of people you can convince to vote left, that limit is created by the incompetence of the parties and the lack of a convincing, charismatic leftist leader.

I think PvdD would have a lot more potential if they would only change their dumb name.

No, the party of Drees and Den Uyl did not just get votes for want of any plausible alternative (mind you, for quite a while people wouldn't vote for the SP because they were literal Maoists, while GL was a coalition between communists, pacifists, greens and left-wing evangelical Christians, i.e. each of its components was quite far removed from the political center in its own way. In which case, there really was no alternative). Pretty much every democratic society is divided between left and right more or less following a normal distribution. You win then by grabbing as much of the center as you can while retaining your support on the fringe. So as a structural matter, the most successful political party on the centerleft is always going to look something like the PvdA. You could argue that the position of the median voter is now shifting, or that the PvdA position has shifted so it is no longer close to the median voter, or that the left/right axis is no longer enough to explain politics so that you need to add axes for liberalism versus authoritarianism or globalism versus nativism , but so long as you have a proportional representation electoral system, the action is always going to be in the center and that means compromise. It also means that anyone who wants to get anywhere in politics will want to join the center party, and will have to adopt a cautious, compromising political style, which means more likely than not that you're unlikely to get convincing and charismatic leaders, though it is not impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The minutes of the last Eurogroup meeting leaked and the only reason there was no deal was, again, the Greek side - it also shows that Schäuble is the best and should be made Finance Minister of Europe.

https://de.scribd.com/document/349399039/Minutes-of-Eurogroup-meeting-May-22-2017

best quote

quote:

Not acceptable that each compromise leads to another compromise. I have no mandate, if this is the way, then good luck. We will not find a solution

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
How can the side with no leverage whatsoever be at fault for the failed policies that the Eurogroup insists on keeping despite all indications that they do not work?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fiction posted:

How can the side with no leverage whatsoever be at fault for the failed policies that the Eurogroup insists on keeping despite all indications that they do not work?

German ingenuity.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Fiction posted:

They refuse to accept the reality that they have no leverage, which prolongs the process unnecessarily.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They also have no future so there's that.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

They also have no future so there's that.

Sure they have, once they stop being governed by anti-Semites.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

GaussianCopula posted:

Says the German.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Says the German.

Not electing anti-Semites has worked out well for Germany over the last ~70 years, it's when those people get in power that you get into big trouble.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Has Trump said anything nice and thoughtful about the Belgians in a Tweet today?

Dead Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 25, 2017

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Are you saying anti-occupation is anti-Semitism? If so I have some self-hating Jews you might want to meet.

Anyway I'm not sure you want New Democracy to take over and accept the Eurogroup's deal, sweeping Tsipras right back into power...

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GaussianCopula posted:

They refuse to accept the reality that they have no leverage, which prolongs the process unnecessarily.

Oh yeah, while Shitwolf & co. refuse to accept the reality of having completely and utterly hosed up.

It is literally impossible to do a more terrible job of managing a depression than the Eurogroup has managed in Greece. Schäuble is the biggest fuckup in the history of finance when we look at the results.

lollontee fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 25, 2017

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

GaussianCopula posted:

The minutes of the last Eurogroup meeting leaked and the only reason there was no deal was, again, the Greek side

No it's not you godamn liar, most players were declaring their openness to some type of debt relief, it's precisely Schauble who's the first to shutdown the discussion, saying that he can't agree to anything because he has no mandate, if so why the gently caress was he there?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Fiction posted:

Are you saying anti-occupation is anti-Semitism? If so I have some self-hating Jews you might want to meet.

Anyway I'm not sure you want New Democracy to take over and accept the Eurogroup's deal, sweeping Tsipras right back into power...

No ANEL are pretty open anti-Semites (e.g. http://www.haaretz.com/jewish/news/1.639763)

lollontee posted:

Oh yeah, while Shitwolf & co. refuse to accept the reality of having completely and utterly hosed up.

It is literally impossible to do a more terrible job of managing a depression than the Eurogroup has managed in Greece. Schäuble is the biggest fuckup in the history of finance when we look at the results.

The Eurogroup (or Schäuble) don't have dictatorial power over the Greek government, whose obstruct and delay tactics have lead to the current situation. Just look at first half of 2015 and you will see what I mean.

Fados posted:

No it's not you godamn liar, most players were declaring their openness to some type of debt relief, it's precisely Schauble who's the first to shutdown the discussion, saying that he can't agree to anything because he has no mandate, if so why the gently caress was he there?

Most players? Can you please quote one Finance Minister who supported the Greek position before Schäuble spoke, who is not from a country with severe deficit problems.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 25, 2017

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GaussianCopula posted:

The Eurogroup (or Schäuble) don't have dictatorial power over the Greek government, whose obstruct and delay tactics have lead to the current situation. Just look at first half of 2015 and you will see what I mean.

Yeah they do. The Eurogroup can and does literally threaten to shut down the Greek state on a regular basis if the Greek government doesn't submit to the absolute diktats of Shitwolf and co.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

I didn't talk about Fin Min, because only the Greek and French spoke before shitwolf, but it's clear people there wanted a compromise, with all that talk about clarity and IMF needing to be on board, one the impediments being that these programmers only kick the can down the road and solve absolutely nothing, especially without debt relief.

But it's clear from reading that Germany is the first to shut everything down.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Fados posted:

I didn't talk about Fin Min, because only the Greek and French spoke before shitwolf, but it's clear people there wanted a compromise, with all that talk about clarity and IMF needing to be on board, one the impediments being that these programmers only kick the can down the road and solve absolutely nothing, especially without debt relief.

But it's clear from reading that Germany is the first to shut everything down.

It was never on the table because Schäuble legally wasn't even allowed to talk about specific debt relief.

But I guess you people don't like democratic controls on the Eurogroup for some reason and would like them to make backroom deals against the will of elected representatives of the people.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

It was never on the table because Schäuble legally wasn't even allowed to talk about specific debt relief.

But I guess you people don't like democratic controls on the Eurogroup for some reason and would like them to make backroom deals against the will of elected representatives of the people.

Why should Germany have any say over the financial policies of other nations? Seems pretty undemocratic to me.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

This union is such a godamn farce, it really is hard to keep hope and not fall into euroscepticism when poo poo like this comes out.

Fiction posted:

Why should Germany have any say over the financial policies of other nations? Seems pretty undemocratic to me.

They have the money. It's pure machiavellianism

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Fiction posted:

Because it's Germany's money? If Greece could get money on the financial markets, they would not have to ask the Eurozone for help.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GaussianCopula posted:

Oh I see, so then you do admit that the financial regimes that the Eurogroup has imposed on Greece for the past 7+ years have had absolutely nothing to do with resolving the crisis, but instead about ensuring that Shitwolf & co retain their populistic democratic appeal to the electorate?

If you keep telling your voters that the only people at fault in creating the Greek sovereign debt mountain are the Greeks themselves and neither you (Shitwolf) nor your colleagues carry any responsibility for the results, admitting a fuckup means that you democratically get booted out the door like the swabian housewife invoking moron you are.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Can anyone explain how Schauble came to be nicknamed Shitwolf itt? I mean, the Wolf" part I get, the "poo poo" part I get, but why affix them like this?

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

Can anyone explain how Schauble came to be nicknamed Shitwolf itt? I mean, the Wolf" part I get, the "poo poo" part I get, but why affix them like this?

poo poo is just a good word to prepend to lovely and/or random things eg: shitbag, poo poo-gibbon, shithead, and now itt shitwolf, the shittiest of them all.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

They're phonetically and memetically very similar words.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fados posted:

poo poo is just a good word to prepend to lovely and/or random things eg: shitbag, poo poo-gibbon, shithead, and now itt shitwolf, the shittiest of them all.

you forgot shithawks

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

lollontee posted:

They're phonetically and memetically very similar words.

Can't argue with advanced memetics like that.

Flowers For Algeria fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 25, 2017

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

And dickwolf is already taken by Dick Wolf :haw:

Hessi
Oct 28, 2010

lollontee posted:

It is absolutely telling that your first graph cuts off in the year 2007, right before the Crisis, cause if you showed the years 1990-2007, it would show that during this time, Greece consumer spending shot up from 27 billion Euro per quarter to close to 45 billion Euro at the start of the crisis. This was growth that even guys like Yanis Varoufakis refers to as Ponzi growth, fuelled by running double digit deficits during years of strong economic growth (something that would make Keynes rotate in his grave). The ruling parties created cosy governement jobs for their cronies on lend money, this is a good part of the 25% of GDP loss that are always pulled out when mentioning the severity of the crisis. That increase in GDP should have never been there if Greece would have been run like a country with even a Keynsian economic policy.
A better graph would be this, but of course it wouldn t support your argument quite that well, right?

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/greece/consumer-spending
(you have to set it to MAX to see the pre-2007 years).

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

lollontee posted:

Oh I see, so then you do admit that the financial regimes that the Eurogroup has imposed on Greece for the past 7+ years have had absolutely nothing to do with resolving the crisis, but instead about ensuring that Shitwolf & co retain their populistic democratic appeal to the electorate?

If you keep telling your voters that the only people at fault in creating the Greek sovereign debt mountain are the Greeks themselves and neither you (Shitwolf) nor your colleagues carry any responsibility for the results, admitting a fuckup means that you democratically get booted out the door like the swabian housewife invoking moron you are.

If the Greeks had not spend more money then they were allowed to under the Maastricht Treaty (3% deficit per year) they would not be in this situation today, so yes, they broke the treaty and bear full responsibility for everything that's happened to them. To be honest, they were really lucky that the contagion risk got the Europeans to help in the first place, otherwise they would have been really hosed.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Wow a German railing against other countries breaking the stability pact talk about calling the ketle black

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
What would it take to renegotiate Maastricht so it's not idiotic? Is it just impossible because the changes required would also probably mean the breakup of the EU?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

If Centeno is the Ronaldo of the ecofin schaulbe is the freddy adu.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Fiction posted:

What would it take to renegotiate Maastricht so it's not idiotic? Is it just impossible because the changes required would also probably mean the breakup of the EU?

To save Maastricht we must kill Maastricht

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ChainsawCharlie posted:

If Centeno is the Ronaldo of the ecofin schaulbe is the freddy adu.

more like the freddy krueger

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/PremierRP_en/status/867702542993678336
https://twitter.com/PremierRP_en/status/867700134842429440

well, this looks like evidence of a good and healthy dialogue

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

While I don't necessarily disagree with your point, that's a horrible graph.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Isn't this because the current Polish ruling party is butthurt not too thrilled about Donald Tusk though?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Someone tried to blow up papademos

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mierenneuker posted:

Isn't this because the current Polish ruling party is butthurt not too thrilled about Donald Tusk though?

And also raving nutters, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Polish voters are even more xenophobic than the average european. the comments posted are about the EU plan to re-distribute refugees among the member states. Poland has fought having to receive ANY refugees at all. PIS has taken the general xenophobia, strengthened it and promulgated it, and fostered a very toxic public opinion among voters, to the ruling partys own advantage. Even the opposition has jumped on the anti-immigrant wagon. the interesting thing is that EU support is quite high, so it will be interesting what happens in the public opinion. Will the EUs plans be enough to turn poles against the commission?

catfry fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 26, 2017