Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah, Mercy is just 12h as Good/Evil/Neutral rather than 12 as each race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream
It's really good, it's only 1.5 days, and the bullshit waits to unlock things only gets worse from there.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah, Mercy is just 12h as Good/Evil/Neutral rather than 12 as each race.

Oh thank god. That I can manage. I can stack it with some other researches I had laying around. I still need the 5 days as Druid one, too.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Emron posted:

That research that requires 12 hours as each faction can gently caress off. I'm not wasting 6 days on one reincarnation for that!

The hours played as each faction does not reset between reincarnations. By the time you get this far you should have a good few hours on every faction. Unless i am remembering wrong.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Ineptitude posted:

The hours played as each faction does not reset between reincarnations. By the time you get this far you should have a good few hours on every faction. Unless i am remembering wrong.

The one I'm going for needs 12 hours as each alignment (thankfully I was wrong about factions) in one reincarnation. It's got the "in this game" language.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ineptitude posted:

Its alright. It really satisfies the "get bigger numbers" itch as there are a ton of progression paths.

The progress is too slow though. I played the first run on Easy to day 400 and got ~900 rebirth stones, which only unlocks 1 auto play feature. Then i played to day 500 on hard which gave me ~1600 rebirth stones which was enough for another auto play feature and a few other upgrades. I am now playing on Insane at day 300 and i can reincarnate for like 1200 rebirth stones. All this playing has taken me the better part of 2 months. All the rebirth stones i have put into number upgrades haven't really changed anything at all. The 10% faster research that cost me over a thousand stones is not noticeable at all, neither is the 20% more damage or 5% more crit, and thats about all i have been able to afford so far.
The prestige currency income needs to be drastically increased so that progress feels sane and interesting, as oposed to some bottomless hole only tailored towards people that play 5 hours a day.

I've been finding the game pretty fun. I don't think early deep runs are the best way to get rebirth stones, particularly since you can get some from the Tower of Trials.

Several tips (hopefully others can share theirs too!):

There's an option to auto-manage your gear, equipping each guy with the highest DPS weapon and selling the rest. This is really good.

Mr Death mercenary is really good. His automatic skill makes it so that if he kills an enemy, it explodes and deals damage proportional to its life. This can kill other enemies who also explode, creating a chain that will wipe out most of the screen. Really good to speed things up if you're dominating content.

The Tower of Trials challenge maps are generally made so that you can defeat one more map every 20 Days. If you beat them on the hardest of the three modes you can choose, you get extra rewards if you beat them 'on time', e.g. floor 1 before Day 20, floor 2 before Day 40, etc. This reward includes accessories (equip to your mercs!), Rebirth Stones (earned right away, not later on rebirth), and Medal of Trials (used to enhance your mercs permanently, but takes a lot).

If you select a Merc in the character screen, you can choose a 'Preferred Skill' that they will level up higher than their other skills. I like choosing the passive skills, or Mr. Death's Soul Burst skill that explodes guys.

Enhancing/Modifying equipment. Early on, you get a lot of upgrades just by finding them, but this slows down a lot in the later game, and your characters have probably outleveled their weapons (e.g. they could equip a level 500 mace, but all you have found is level 300 maces). In this case (and even early on, but it's less necessary unless you're on the border of beating content) you can work on crafting your weapons. It doesn't cost much gold compared to what you earn, unless you are Modifying really high.

Enhancing straight up adds levels to your weapon. Starting out you can enhance 4 times per 'Day' - read Day as level, not real day. With research that goes up to 5 times per Day, then later research gives you two levels per enhance. So down the road you can add a total of 10 weapon levels per day. Pick your 1-2 dudes of choice, and keep their weapons topped up!

Modifying lets you change the modifiers on weapons - it's kind of like rerolling suffixes/affixes on Diablo 3 weapons. Each time you reroll one, you get a random affix like +% Dmg, or Attack speed, but it also bumps up the modifier level by one, and makes it stronger. Higher rarity weapons have more slots, generally. Later research lets you unlock slots I think.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Another tip: the ogre may seem lovely, but once you get points in Giant Weapon, he's incredible. My best teams were ogre, Mr Death and magical girl (for heals), skeleton and sword (for the gold bonuses). After a while your merc will be the source of, like, 95% or more of your team damage, so your team build is more about support abilities.

The % you see next to a weapon is a good indication of its long term viability. Eventually you can unlock an ability to keep a weapon through a prestige. I'd try to find an orange weapon with >98% and stuck with it. Enhancing makes a huge impact and eventually becomes your main source of incremental damage each day.

It still takes way too long to progress, in my opinion. It seems balanced toward guys who post on the subreddit.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm hitting a wall in Mine Defense that feels like I'm just doing it wrong. I need food to level up my dragon from a teenager (then population for the next stage). I have 1B of every hireling (including Neurochrysalis), I'm slowly moving towards 100 Dragon Hunters, but I can't figure out what I should be doing for food income. I know there's an Alchemist upgrade at 200 to double speed, but I currently make something like 4.5M hirelings per second with my 172 so I can't push for 1T anywhere easily yet and World Eaters aren't producing enough Dirt to turn into Stone > Iron > Steel > Food quickly. Is there some better path to Food I'm missing, or should I be making more World Eaters (2.5B currently) or should I just keep making more Bloodhounds/leveling the Water Shrine to try to get my Alchemist yield up?

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 24, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think you're just in a slow patch...try to get all 4 shrines, since then you can build mages and alchemists at the machinist for a flat cost, ignoring the exponential scaling for buying them. That's a big jump IIRC.

EDIT: And when you get the upgrades that give essence for killing goblins don't neglect goblin-slaying, it'll be a significant amount of your essence income.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 24, 2017

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm hitting a wall in Mine Defense that feels like I'm just doing it wrong. I need food to level up my dragon from a teenager (then population for the next stage). I have 1B of every hireling (including Neurochrysalis), I'm slowly moving towards 100 Dragon Hunters, but I can't figure out what I should be doing for food income. I know there's an Alchemist upgrade at 200 to double speed, but I currently make something like 4.5M hirelings per second with my 172 so I can't push for 1T anywhere easily yet and World Eaters aren't producing enough Dirt to turn into Stone > Iron > Steel > Food quickly. Is there some better path to Food I'm missing, or should I be making more World Eaters (2.5B currently) or should I just keep making more Bloodhounds/leveling the Water Shrine to try to get my Alchemist yield up?

If you use that autoclicker and autoquarry script that was posted before it will significantly increase your alchemist count which really speeds that part of the game up.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sindai posted:

EDIT: And when you get the upgrades that give essence for killing goblins don't neglect goblin-slaying, it'll be a significant amount of your essence income.
Right, but that requires 1T Goblins. I guess I can make them at a rate of 12M/sec (got to 201 Alchemists since I posted, thanks to the Machinist) but that's still, uh... one billion per eighty seconds, call it a minute and a half because I rounded my rate up, so 1500 minutes for a trillion, which is less than a day but not by much. I guess that's doable, since all the gems better than Great that I find will go to more Alchemists anyway.

Not too bad, I suppose :shobon:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Holy poo poo, the drow upgrade that makes EVERY spell (except TC) increment combo strike, that's wild.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Dungeon Defense:

The 'Equalize Enhance' button is probably the most helpful thing so far, I make sure to click it every day and with the appropriate research it'll put my gear so ahead of the curve that eventually the game refuses to auto-equip any new legendaries because my lovely whites/blues from day 50 are still better.

That said, I get the feeling that until I've absolutely unlocked every auto-feature available pushing past 100 isn't really worth it; the initial reward is too big compared to the paltry amount you get from the progressively longer days. I think I've reached about day 500 on hard for the cheevos, but in that span of time I probably could've run five or more 100-day segments instead for a bigger payout. It doesn't help that my old phone chugs from processing 10 enemy waves onscreen at once.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Realm grinder chat: Does anyone have a handy reminder of essentially what build to use for what gem level? At R28 but just came back to it after a year or so away.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

You want legendary weapons because they enhance more per enhancement and have more slots for perks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

Realm grinder chat: Does anyone have a handy reminder of essentially what build to use for what gem level? At R28 but just came back to it after a year or so away.

Check the wiki or musicfamily for the builds. Wiki is more up to date than the other, but all of the builds are either listed by Regeneration or Ascension

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Xelkelvos posted:

Check the wiki or musicfamily for the builds. Wiki is more up to date than the other, but all of the builds are either listed by Regeneration or Ascension

Yeah, but I mean the part where you're getting back up to 'endgame' after a Reincarnation. Like you start with something, go to titans, etc. Stuck right before research.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, but I mean the part where you're getting back up to 'endgame' after a Reincarnation. Like you start with something, go to titans, etc. Stuck right before research.

Right before research I use a lightning forge merc build.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream
i generally name my builds with the gem level i start using them at. so i have "faceless e28", "faceless e42" etc. it's a little trickier pre-ascension because you have pre-mercs, mercs, research to keep track of, but as you get through ascensions you can skip more and more steps, which is helpful.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
http://www.kongregate.com/forums/8945-realm-grinder/topics/598227

Found this, basically what I was looking for but didn't understand the title at first.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm at 28 myself and my routine for the last couple of reincarnations has been to simply turn on Elf bloodine and choose Demons - I'll spend the evening abdicating my way up the gems until I go to bed, wake up and I'm in the early 70s ready for the cookie cutter Elf research build. If I'm not I'll just switch to Diamond Forge mercs and go to work. Or at least that was what I was doing, but I've spent the last week spinning my tires collecting the cool lore artifacts with requirements like "20,000 fairy chantings" and "just play Angels over and over again".

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

At this point in the game you will get most of these resources via the trading post. Wait for a time when the rate is high (the higher the number when you hover over a trade the better) and you should be able to get a bajillion food for nothing.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

My routine is this (wrapping up R33)
-elf until 1T (one run)
-titan until Qa
-elf/dwarf until ~No
-lightning forge until 500Dvg
-research from there

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Emron posted:

My routine is this (wrapping up R33)
-elf until 1T (one run)
-titan until Qa
-elf/dwarf until ~No
-lightning forge until 500Dvg
-research from there

I generally go with elven farms instead of lighting forge because I'd rather manage my farm upgrade than wait for a good lightning strike.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Coca Koala posted:

I generally go with elven farms instead of lighting forge because I'd rather manage my farm upgrade than wait for a good lightning strike.

The mercs stage is definitely my least favorite of any reincarnation because you're stuck with multiple unpleasant options.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008
I prefer the Diamond Forge variant - you don't get as much as a good Lightning Strike, but with a high enough reincarnation/gem count you'll blitz through it too fast to even notice.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Jayme posted:

I prefer the Diamond Forge variant - you don't get as much as a good Lightning Strike, but with a high enough reincarnation/gem count you'll blitz through it too fast to even notice.

That's worth a try since I'll be in R34 once I finish off Mercy. I need to leave titan running to get its last challenge (WHICH IS DUMB AS HELL BY THE WAY), but I need 5 days in Druid for other good researches. I'm conflicted.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I'm only in R1, and for serious, it sounds like y'all are playing a completely different game that's hella more complex than what I'm playing.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Axiem posted:

I'm only in R1, and for serious, it sounds like y'all are playing a completely different game that's hella more complex than what I'm playing.

RG succeeds more than any other game of its type (at least that I've played) in changing up its mechanics and keeping things fresh/interesting. Every so often, it introduces a new layer of complexity and totally switches how you play/think about it.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Axiem posted:

I felt the same way when I stumbled on this thread so many months ago. Trust me, it's gonna be amazing when you progress further and finally start to understand what everyone is talking about.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I can't remember the name of a space themed active/idle incremental upgrade game. It starts off with a crank and you have to hold the mouse button over the crank to make it turn and you unlock bots to turn the crank for you and then get batteries and solar panels and stuff and eventually jump between stars and fight ships. Anyone know what game that is and got a link? I'd like to give it another go...

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Ambaire posted:

I can't remember the name of a space themed active/idle incremental upgrade game. It starts off with a crank and you have to hold the mouse button over the crank to make it turn and you unlock bots to turn the crank for you and then get batteries and solar panels and stuff and eventually jump between stars and fight ships. Anyone know what game that is and got a link? I'd like to give it another go...

You're thinking of the aptly named Crank: http://faedine.com/games/crank/b39/

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Ambaire posted:

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, it would explode! I think it was called “The Bus That Couldn’t Slow Down.”

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

serefin99 posted:

I felt the same way when I stumbled on this thread so many months ago. Trust me, it's gonna be amazing when you progress further and finally start to understand what everyone is talking about.

Yup. All the problems with RG aside (new layout, etc) - it absolutely nails the 'paradigm shifts' that make up great idlers, in my opinion.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Buzkashi posted:

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, it would explode! I think it was called “The Bus That Couldn’t Slow Down.”

You might be thinking of the great baby's novel "The Little Train That Could"

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Sage Grimm posted:

You might be thinking of the great baby's novel "The Little Train That Could"

No, he's clearly thinking of the hit movie "Fast!"

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

It's a really slow day at work so I wanted to startup RG in a background tab again. What browsers can still run Flash? :downs:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Merijn posted:

It's a really slow day at work so I wanted to startup RG in a background tab again. What browsers can still run Flash? :downs:

All of them?

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

Where by "all of them" we mean "all of the major ones, although for Chrome and Firefox you might need to open the site settings panel and explicitly enable it depending on where the movie is placed in the page and/or what script is checking it's enabled"

edit: in Chrome at least, that's done by clicking on the padlock/circled i in the omnibox

Sillyman fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Sillyman posted:

Where by "all of them" we mean "all of the major ones, although for Chrome and Firefox you might need to open the site settings panel and explicitly enable it depending on where the movie is placed in the page and/or what script is checking it's enabled"

edit: in Chrome at least, that's done by clicking on the padlock/circled i in the omnibox

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. :) Last I know Firefox disabled the NPAPI thing and doesn't really allow old-school Shockwave Flash plugins in the newest version anymore.