Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Ironically, I posted in this thread two years ago about developing a workplace hobby. I've been drawing my co-workers in my free time in the office. I'm getting good at turning their faces into sea creatures.

i need to get back on painting warhammers at my desk

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

Also, today was the first day of bar review. I assume everyone does absolutely abysmal on the introductory questions?

Yeah the Super Secret Technique that you (or your employer) paid thousands of dollars for is to scare the living poo poo out of you up front so that you take it seriously.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Speaking as someone who both went through law school and separate academic programs, law review is different enough from other academic writing (in terms of content, method and structure) that any academic who knows anything about it will not afford you any additional respect for it.

Nobody will know I whether I did law review or some other journal. It would not be part of the application or interview process for the positions I am likely to apply for; as you say, nobody cares. The value, if there is any, would strictly be in the skills and networking themselves, and in how interesting it is compared to simply doing some other coursework. The risk, which has been alluded to, is that it could be strictly worse for my GPA than a regular class. If neither law review nor some other journal is better than another class per se -- which is my takeaway so far -- then I probably won't bother.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies, everyone. I was expecting a worse signal-to-noise ratio.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

homullus posted:

Nobody will know I whether I did law review or some other journal. It would not be part of the application or interview process for the positions I am likely to apply for; as you say, nobody cares. The value, if there is any, would strictly be in the skills and networking themselves, and in how interesting it is compared to simply doing some other coursework. The risk, which has been alluded to, is that it could be strictly worse for my GPA than a regular class. If neither law review nor some other journal is better than another class per se -- which is my takeaway so far -- then I probably won't bother.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies, everyone. I was expecting a worse signal-to-noise ratio.

Doesn't everyone on law review get an A? The only reason it's worse for your GPA is the amount of time you spend on it is disproportionate compared to your other classes and it makes it harder to prep for them.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

homullus posted:

I honestly don't understand why you're doing this to yourself. Like go snag a PhD in higher education admin. I've never actually met anyone who wants a jd from the outset who has no plans to be a lawyer.

Also you're really putting the cart before the caterpillar here: you're a 0L worried about law review who doesn't plan on being a lawyer. I can't fathom putting myself through law school to not try and have a lawyer job.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I honestly don't understand why you're doing this to yourself. Like go snag a PhD in higher education admin. I've never actually met anyone who wants a jd from the outset who has no plans to be a lawyer.

Also you're really putting the cart before the caterpillar here: you're a 0L worried about law review who doesn't plan on being a lawyer. I can't fathom putting myself through law school to not try and have a lawyer job.

The PhD would take longer and cost more. I am ABD in classics and cannot imagine putting myself through all that again for a higher education PhD.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Arcturas posted:

Doesn't everyone on law review get an A? The only reason it's worse for your GPA is the amount of time you spend on it is disproportionate compared to your other classes and it makes it harder to prep for them.

I think they mean that the time you spend on law review will subtract for reading/studying. But you don't do law review til after 1l at which point you've checked out of studying. Also law review might be pass/fail so it could slightly make your other grades more important I guess

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Arcturas posted:

Doesn't everyone on law review get an A?

You had an actual grade for law review? All we had was Satisfactory / Unsatisfactory.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It is I, professional law talking dude who attened court with cheeto dust on my jumper today.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

The Kingfish posted:

It strikes me the same way but I'll feel like a dipshit if I turn down the opportunity.

Give it a shot and move on if you don't make it. I didn't make it and I still got the job I wanted when I started law school so don't get discouraged. Unless you're one of those who wants to be an earth shaker or whatever. Then you should probably curl up in a ball and rage.

If you make it just try and balance it... I guess? I have no idea. I almost immediately got over any regret I felt not making it after watching what my friends on law review were going through.

homullus posted:

I am interested in hearing more about law review from people who have done it. I'm starting law school this fall. I'm not following the arc most of you followed: I already have a job, I got a full scholarship to a T3 school, the JD is functionally-but-not-totally equivalent to a PhD for my purposes, so I'll very likely be using it for that rather than the jobs you guys complain about. Those who did it, would you rather have just taken another course, if your job outcomes had been guaranteed to be the same, and why?

Boy I would reconsider. Don't go to law school unless you want to be a lawyer. Get a masters degree or even a PhD if you need to "check the box." That's what those are for.

Someone above mentioned the ABA trying to mandate 50 hours per credit? Interesting coincidence because earlier this evening during a quiet moment in the car I was considering whether I spent more time on any given 4 credit law school course than I did on an entire semester of undergrad. I'm fairly certain I did.

Flutieflakes017 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 25, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I honestly don't understand why you're doing this to yourself. Like go snag a PhD in higher education admin.

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Boy I would reconsider. Don't go to law school unless you want to be a lawyer. Get a masters degree or even a PhD if you need to "check the box." That's what those are for.

I am very confused how y'alls go from "getting a law degree would be too much trouble" to "so get a phd instead"

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm already on as a candidate so if I just do the spading and turn in a halfway acceptable case note then I'll be a full member by second semester of 2L year.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I am very confused how y'alls go from "getting a law degree would be too much trouble" to "so get a phd instead"

As long as we both agree master degrees are "checking the box" I don't really feel like we have to hash out the workload and cost of every possible PhD program.

I watched my brother in law finish his PhD in "Materials Engineering" and he watched me do my JD. I am curious what his perception would be of which was "harder" or required more work. Seemed like the last two years of his PhD he significant free time to road bike, do triathlons, bang my sister, and party. Maybe it's just because I was longer in the tooth when I did my JD but I didn't ever have much free time.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Flutieflakes017 posted:

As long as we both agree master degrees are "checking the box" I don't really feel like we have to hash out the workload and cost of every possible PhD program.

I watched my brother in law finish his PhD in "Materials Engineering" and he watched me do my JD. I am curious what his perception would be of which was "harder" or required more work. Seemed like the last two years of his PhD he significant free time to road bike, do triathlons, bang my sister, and party. Maybe it's just because I was longer in the tooth when I did my JD but I didn't ever have much free time.

They didn't mention a master's as an option, so I assume it isn't one.

There's not really any question about which of the two is more total work, just because the average time to completion for PhD students is so much longer. (which involves more work while you're doing it could go either way I guess, but is probably a fair bit higher on average for phd students) And while it's not much fun to do coursework which you don't care about, it's still something you can grind through, whereas trying to do novel academic research in a field you don't care about is pretty much guaranteed to end horribly.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Arcturas posted:

No. Some of us went to schools where you don't get course credit for law review.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Someone above mentioned the ABA trying to mandate 50 hours per credit? Interesting coincidence because earlier this evening during a quiet moment in the car I was considering whether I spent more time on any given 4 credit law school course than I did on an entire semester of undergrad. I'm fairly certain I did.
The ABA is cracking down on law students getting credit for law review but not actually doing at work, so they're going to make schools submit paper work that people on law review are actually doing enough to get the credits.

So a three hour class is 3 hours a week, 15 weeks, for 45 hours plus whatever they factor in for reading, studying and test taking, something just north of 50 hours. So if you get X hours of law review, it's gotta be the same as a class. They already require paperwork for clinic hours, so they're just extending it to law review

I am prolly wrong about the total hours

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 25, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

They didn't mention a master's as an option, so I assume it isn't one.

There's not really any question about which of the two is more total work, just because the average time to completion for PhD students is so much longer. (which involves more work while you're doing it could go either way I guess, but is probably a fair bit higher on average for phd students) And while it's not much fun to do coursework which you don't care about, it's still something you can grind through, whereas trying to do novel academic research in a field you don't care about is pretty much guaranteed to end horribly.

This matches my perspective. I have the MA, because I got to the end of a PhD program and didn't finish. Law is more interesting and less expensive than a PhD.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

homullus posted:

This matches my perspective. I have the MA, because I got to the end of a PhD program and didn't finish. Law is more interesting and less expensive than a PhD.

My wife has a PhD in classics as it turns out and parlayed that into her alt academic job. Can you not just finish the dissertation or is it too late? She wrote hers on nights and weekends while working full time and when our kid was 1.

Like were just literally trying to save you from a degree it doesn't sound like you'll need?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

A higher education administration PhD is, on the level, an easier PhD to get than most. It will open the administrator doors he's looking at, and can often be done while you're working at the University in whatever capacity.

5 years of that while working versus 3 years of jd while unemployed just makes more sense to me.

If homunculus over there wants to maybe BE a lawyer then yeah, get a JD. But as a check the box degree? It just doesn't make sense to me. But I was also in a PhD for history and loved grad school, whereas I hated law school. love being a lawyer though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
For the theoretical unicorn space alien who is guaranteed to advance his job prospects with a JD and doesn't need to care about grades, tier of school, or networking, law school is super easy because you just need to show up every four months for finals.

It's also going to make your resume significantly worse overall I'd think. Don't do it.

The real problem is that it's treated as a terminal degree when it's basically the equivalent of an undergrad major, so yeah it's definitely easier and less time consuming than anything else with doctor somewhere in there

gently caress, go get a ddiv or something really zany

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

A higher education administration PhD is, on the level, an easier PhD to get than most. It will open the administrator doors he's looking at, and can often be done while you're working at the University in whatever capacity.

5 years of that while working versus 3 years of jd while unemployed just makes more sense to me.

If homunculus over there wants to maybe BE a lawyer then yeah, get a JD. But as a check the box degree? It just doesn't make sense to me. But I was also in a PhD for history and loved grad school, whereas I hated law school. love being a lawyer though.

Higher ed: costs over $10k (school does not have full tuition waiver for employees) before books and other fees, not interesting, opens up a career I find horrifying (higher ed faculty) in a field I find uninteresting. Not respected by anyone who knows what a higher ed PhD is. 5 years part-time is optimistic but possible. I shudder at the thought of writing another dissertation.

Law school: costs $0 before books and other fees, is interesting, opens up a career I find interesting (lawyer) and related jobs I find interesting, 4 years part-time -- sorry I didn't make that clear before, I am keeping my job regardless. Largely alien to higher ed. No dissertation.

It's not that I don't want to be a lawyer or do law-related work, but that it's less likely, since the market is sooo bad and I would not have the desperate need to get that job right after graduation. That you liked history graduate school and not law school is more concerning to me than the other career advice, but I have other friends who enjoyed law school, so . . . really, I just need to see what I think of it.

Edit:

mastershakeman posted:

gently caress, go get a ddiv or something really zany
No lie, if I could do this for $0, I would seriously consider it.

Edit 2: and keep my job in the process.

homullus fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 25, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
people enjoy law school because you can get away with partying for 4 months at a time and then using someone else's outline to get a B . it's what, 4 weeks of work for finals out of 52? watch out

it's also definitely not interesting in the slightest and the way you keep repeating that is weird

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

mastershakeman posted:

people enjoy law school because you can get away with partying for 4 months at a time and then using someone else's outline to get a B . it's what, 4 weeks of work for finals out of 52? watch out

it's also definitely not interesting in the slightest and the way you keep repeating that is weird

This is the approach I took this semester and it worked out exactly like this. Minimal effort for a slightly worse yet still good enough result.

Also law school is not interesting after the first two days. After that it's just a slog through the semester until finals, and then looking for a job for the summer.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Well, if there is a CHANCE you want to be a lawyer.... That was my biggest objection. I cannot imagine going through law school when at the beginning you don't intend to sit for the bar or be a lawyer. Plenty of people make that decision during law school, but starting it with that attitude would be so weird.

I guess I'll also acknowledge that my law school experience wasn't typical. I went to an intensive school that had almost no electives or theory classes. 70% of classes were mandator; attendance was mandatory in all classes (and taken); the third year was the hardest year; and it was full of incredibly wealthy kids (back before I knew people could be "Rich").

I'd still never recommend anyone go unless you've got a full ride to HYS and really want to be a lawyer though.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Ya, my good memories of law school stem from everything but the classes. Mostly I just enjoyed the huge amount of free time I had.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
Homullus, can you just write a dissertation for the PhD you already did? That seems like a much better plan but I'm sure there is something I am missing.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

mastershakeman posted:

For the theoretical unicorn space alien who is guaranteed to advance his job prospects with a JD and doesn't need to care about grades, tier of school, or networking, law school is super easy because you just need to show up every four months for finals.

Also why would this person bother doing law review?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I don't even really remember what it was like in law school, not having a lawyer job, not being married, not having kids...

I think I played a lot of counter-strike.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don't even really remember what it was like in law school, not having a lawyer job, not being married, not having kids...

I think I played a lot of counter-strike.

It was glorious! I'd wake up at about 11 am and play Warcraft III all day. Some days, I'd go to class.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Artic Puma posted:

Homullus, can you just write a dissertation for the PhD you already did? That seems like a much better plan but I'm sure there is something I am missing.

It's a good thought, but I discontinued that program 15 years ago and moved to another state. Even if those were't obstacles, at the very minimum I would need to take prelims again (on small topics like "all of Latin literature" and "all of Greek literature"), as well as reading proficiency exams in French and German. I haven't kept up on those skills. It would take at least as long as law school to get into a position to do that and finish it (and again, cost money, because no scholarship).

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I do remember putting in by hand like the entire SEC and ACC football team roster names in NCAA football, and getting up to like ten years of a dynasty

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Roger_Mudd posted:

It was glorious! I'd wake up at about 11 am and play Warcraft III all day. Some days, I'd go to class.

Warcraft III was a fun game.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Being a lawyer is terrible. Law School is terrible. Law Review is the most terrible part of Law School.

Maybe this dude will parlay his top 7% ranking and law review into a job at my firm where the glimmer and hope in his eye will quickly fade into cynicism, alcoholism and depression.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Law school for me was the only time during my World of Warcraft career that I had enough time to do heroic raiding in a server-top guild.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The only person in my law school class who had no intention of sitting the bar was former TN state representative Jerry Durham. It didn't work out

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

We had a guy who was an agent for D-list basketball players.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Instead of signing an order today, I drew a picture of a kitty in pink pen on the sig line.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CaptainScraps posted:

Instead of signing an order today, I drew a picture of a kitty in pink pen on the sig line.

pix of kitty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

JesustheDarkLord posted:

The only person in my law school class who had no intention of sitting the bar was former TN state representative Jerry Durham. It didn't work out

Since I moved out of state I never heard about this, so I googled it.

Wow. Just wow.