Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Hmm fox news anchor saying if Britain had a travel ban the Manchester attack might not have happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Macron won, Trump is a winner who knows how to pick winners, ergo Trump supported him all along.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

mcmagic posted:

Do you think Trump knows what a complete and utter joke these other world leaders view him as? There is no way, right?
I still have this weird belief that Trump was campaigning at half-effort. Then he realized it was more than enough to get his supporters fired up, so he continued to skate by on baseless rhetoric until it won him the election. Then, I think maybe he realized his weird skits don't work out on the international stage?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I want the alternate world reaction where the Montenegro PM pushes Trump aside to move to the front of the group.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

LaserShark posted:

"...an Executive Order that in text speaks with vague words of national security, but in context drips with religious intolerance, animus, and discrimination."

No, gently caress you, I've got a good despair buzz going here, get out of here with that hope bullshit.

theflyingorc posted:

I'm really, really glad that our courts get to say "Yes, there's nothing technically wrong on paper, but WE ALL KNOW WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON ITS SUPER OBVIOUS"

At least, I will be until Trump stacks all the courts.

None of the democratic justices are looking to retire, even if they are old, so hang on.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ramos posted:

None of the democratic justices are looking to retire, even if they are old, so hang on.

I'm not just referring to the Supreme Court. There's a whole bunch of vacancies in the lower courts that Trump might just fill with a billion people if he ever gets around to it

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

theflyingorc posted:

I'm really, really glad that our courts get to say "Yes, there's nothing technically wrong on paper, but WE ALL KNOW WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON ITS SUPER OBVIOUS"

Don't worry, it's already the policy of the Roberts court that, if somebody does something with a disparate discriminatory impact, and shouts "I am discriminating and motivated by animus against a race and or religion" at the top of their lungs, it's still not racist as long as they can articulate a hypothetical where they might have had non-racist reasons for doing what they did.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

farraday posted:

Hmm fox news anchor saying if Britain had a travel ban the Manchester attack might not have happened.

:thunk:

clearly the guy who was British-born and lived there would never have made it to Manchester in the first place if that were the case!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ImpAtom posted:

It is remarkable how Trump seems to think everyone in the world has no memory.

Well, when you've had 70 years of yes men agreeing with you and the money to buy yourself out of trouble he's likely conditioned to the point that he can just switch gears and whatever people buck against, if anything, he can just pay off the damages.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Space Gopher posted:

Don't worry, it's already the policy of the Roberts court that, if somebody does something with a disparate discriminatory impact, and shouts "I am discriminating and motivated by animus against a race and or religion" at the top of their lungs, it's still not racist as long as they can articulate a hypothetical where they might have had non-racist reasons for doing what they did.

That's a hot take, especially after the Supreme Court's recent rulings on racial gerrymandering.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It looks like the 4th Circuit has four active judges originally appointed by Republicans, and 3 of the 4 dissented from the decision. No others joined them. All of the concurrences seem to just be an excuse to also write an opinion, except for one judge who thinks that there's no need to look at Candidate Trump statements and that courts probably shouldn't, but the bias is obvious anyway.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

No Safe Word posted:

clearly the guy who was British-born and lived there would never have made it to Manchester in the first place if that were the case!

I'm pretty sure that the racists would be quite happy to deport everyone with Muslim ancestry even if they were born in the UK.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

theflyingorc posted:

The remarkable part is that the courts usually go to great lengths and bend over backwards with deference to avoid doing something like this. Trump is such a clumsy, loud, angry hate golem that he forced the courts to rule that its a muslim ban even though it textually is not, because he spent months denigrating muslims and promising to ban muslims. He just went too far to the point where the courts finally had to say "OK fine, dammit. We have to let you have the injunction because we all know whats happening"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
So when do we learn if the state whose western border looks like a side profile of some dude falls/votes for the regressive?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crain posted:

I wish Marcon or someone would hit him back on that to his face.

Jesus Christ.

https://twitter.com/garyhe/status/867710859224788993

Macron got him back by crushing the gently caress out of his tiny hand at the press event.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

PhazonLink posted:

So when do we learn if the state whose western border looks like a side profile of some dude falls/votes for the regressive?

Sometime around 10-11PM EST

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

On an unrelated note, did anyone else's thunk smiley get replaced with one that looks like it was drawn while drunk using MSPaint? It looks terrible on mobile.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Crain posted:

I wish Marcon or someone would hit him back on that to his face.

Jesus Christ.

Well, see, other political leaders have a sense of decency and tact.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

nine-gear crow posted:

Macron got him back by crushing the gently caress out of his tiny hand at the press event.

Trump seems like he's at a massive disadvantage at these handshake pissing contests due to his tiny baby fingers. How can he crush someone's wrist with those ineffectual hands?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Well, I wasn't going to say it but "In a 5-4 decision, thanks to Supreme Court Justice Gorsuch..."

(It's a good thing but let's keep in mind there's more to go.)

Eh. The supreme court can always refuse to hear it if it think the SG case has no merit. I'm personally hoping for that.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

He looks like a little kid getting scolded.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Thankfully 7 out of 13 judges signed onto the majority opinion in full, so the concurrences don't matter. Things get really tricky when you have to cobble together concurrences to get the majority so that the majority opinion might not be controlling and you then have to carefully read all the concurrences to see what parts did and did not get the necessary votes. In this case we can simply ignore the concurrences.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pander posted:

Trump seems like he's at a massive disadvantage at these handshake pissing contests due to his tiny baby fingers. How can he crush someone's wrist with those ineffectual hands?

He operates entirely on surprise but people have wised up and are destroying him on it now that they expect it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Chilichimp posted:

Eh. The supreme court can always refuse to hear it if it think the SG case has no merit. I'm personally hoping for that.

yeah, denying cert would be ideal, then it would be over and Trump would be left trying to figure out if there's any watered-down EO he can write to do anything to muslims.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mango sentinel posted:

He operates entirely on surprise but people have wised up and are destroying him on it now that they expect it.

He got played by the president of Tajikistan, a country i promise you Trump did not know existed before he became president

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

nine-gear crow posted:

no kidding, look at that jacket bulge

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

buglord posted:

I still have this weird belief that Trump was campaigning at half-effort. Then he realized it was more than enough to get his supporters fired up, so he continued to skate by on baseless rhetoric until it won him the election. Then, I think maybe he realized his weird skits don't work out on the international stage?

The other half is not just support for violence but explicit calls for violence. I would not be surprised to see that come from the right as the next election cycle approaches. Expect phrases like "Keep the wrong people from violating the vote."

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Elotana posted:

https://twitter.com/KyungLahCNN/status/867773978546511872

I'm sorry in advance for everyone who is expecting tonight to be the onset of the Great Mattering

Of course nothing matters

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

theflyingorc posted:

He got played by the president of Tajikistan, a country i promise you Trump did not know existed before he became president

I'm not sure that most people outside of Tajikistan know it exists to be fair.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

spoon daddy posted:

Of course nothing matters
I suspect all news network interviewed over hundred of people before they found a crazy worth reporting.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

john mccain is very disturbed

https://twitter.com/LACaldwellDC/status/867810209913344001

fortunately, he is very disturbed at the incompetence of his own party in getting terrible legislation passed

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Apparently election officials in Montana are getting bombarded with calls from people who voted early asking if they can change their vote. Unfortunately the answer is no, but I think thats strong evidence that last night mattered and lots of people do vote on election day.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

theflyingorc posted:

There Bias Two posted:

I'm not sure that most people outside of Tajikistan know it exists to be fair.

Well, now he's gonna nuke it out of spite, so at least they'll be famous.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

evilweasel posted:

john mccain is very disturbed

https://twitter.com/LACaldwellDC/status/867810209913344001

fortunately, he is very disturbed at the incompetence of his own party in getting terrible legislation passed

For once it is good that he will do nothing about the subject of his concern and remain useless.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This 4th circuit ruling was only about whether to uphold the injunction, right?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
McCain Status: Disturbed--> Frustrated

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

I like to imagine that every world leader is ordering a set of those metal grip trainers and just waiting for the chance to try and snap a couple of that pissbaby's tiny, stubby, little fingers.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Trabisnikof posted:

That's a hot take, especially after the Supreme Court's recent rulings on racial gerrymandering.

I mean, the death of Scalia broke his dread curse over the supreme court, but I still see a lot of horrible 5-4s in the future.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rigel posted:

Apparently election officials in Montana are getting bombarded with calls from people who voted early asking if they can change their vote. Unfortunately the answer is no, but I think thats strong evidence that last night mattered and lots of people do vote on election day.

From people who want their white nationalists slightly more polite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

theflyingorc posted:

I am pretty sure he didn't know it existed after he became president, nor did he know it existed when he met the president, nor did he know that it existed long after that meeting.

• Locked thread