Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

After playing through twice now I don't think it's actually true that the whitewings are, mechanically, that much better than anyone else in Celica's route. They probably have comparable or worse stat spreads to Celica, Saber, and Mae off the top of my head

They just seem incredible because they get a huge level lead because you get ten maps in a row where your options are do a surgical strike with your fliers or spend 50 turns wading through horrible maps

yeah they're def helped by being the only usable units on a bunch of maps, but I think they're still good even without that. i mean flying units have a low threshold for goodness all together, it doesn't take much.

Does FE Gaiden have a sequel? Is there any follow-up to stuff like Saber's Merchant kingdom or Sonya becoming a witch? has anyone actually not finished this game yet, do I even need to spoiler it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gaiden has a sequel, and it's Awakening. Valentia is eventually renamed Valm.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
direct sequel, i don't care about 1000 years later

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mandatory lesbian posted:

direct sequel, i don't care about 1000 years later

No, though I guess technically 3/12 are a sequel since they take place after and feature characters that were in Gaiden.

No one ever mentions anything about them though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can get about 3 silver weapons by near the end of chapter 3 by just doing sidequests for Alm's side. Possibly enough to squeeze upgrading the Ridersbane into Rhomponia but that might be overkill.

Zweihander seems nice but almost nobody uses swords on Alm's route since Alm himself is dedicated to the royal sword.

Actually, that's what bugs me is that Alm is basically lance city while Celica has a variety of weapon users.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

No, though I guess technically 3/12 are a sequel since they take place after and feature characters that were in Gaiden.

I think Sirius says some things that make more sense if you've played Gaiden but he doesn't directly expound on anything

The whitewings straight up do not mention their Valentian adventures

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Regarding (ending) Sonya, I just took her "becoming a witch" to mean she took up residence there and wanted to live alone and scared people off, a more classical "witch". Without a Duma to offer your soul to/give you power, you can't really become a witch.

But hey you can read it however you want to, it will never be further expanded upon.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zore posted:

I don't get why you can't use the turnwheel if Celica or Alm bite it.

Its probably the only thing that really frustrates me mechanically since it led to two 30 minute dungeon run wipes when I ran into some of the super enemies. Fuckers made a beeline for Celica with that 20 might spell and hit her 3 times with 60% accuracy.

Who do you think is using the turnwheel :colbert:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zore posted:

Dang, that's sad. But I guess it's not too surprising, it is called Gaiden after-all

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Terper posted:

Regarding (ending) Sonya, I just took her "becoming a witch" to mean she took up residence there and wanted to live alone and scared people off, a more classical "witch". Without a Duma to offer your soul to/give you power, you can't really become a witch.

But hey you can read it however you want to, it will never be further expanded upon.

Well, I was kinda thinking it was a sequel hook that Duma isn't really dead, or maybe his power was still alive or whatever. that's why I asked haha

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly, dragons being revived eviler and more powerful than before is a series staple so

They can also sorta live on through humans who bear their brand (e.g. Julius from FE4)

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Is it possible to change a characters base class later in the game?

I went with Pegasus Knight for Faye but she might as well be made of cardboard.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Vakal posted:

Is it possible to change a characters base class later in the game?

I went with Pegasus Knight for Faye but she might as well be made of cardboard.

There's a free DLC that reverts a character to Villager class.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What's the name of the theme that plays on the player turn for Celica?

Also can you recruit Palla and Catria as Alm if you don't do so as Celica? Debating if I should do so on a second playthrough.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cuntellectual posted:

Also can you recruit Palla and Catria as Alm if you don't do so as Celica? Debating if I should do so on a second playthrough.

Alm can't visit Celica's areas ever (well, until post-game when the armies merge rather)

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Sooooo... Sonya or Deen?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Sooooo... Sonya or Deen?

A powerful, speedy mage or yet another sword user when you already have Kamui, Saber, and Jesse

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tae posted:

i thought the free one only gave boots? or are there 2 DLC's and I missed one?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Tae posted:

Oh, so that's what the pitchfork does. I thought it was just joke weapon or something.

Thanks.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I went the wrong way on the Celica path and those two Pegasus sisters left me. Are they gone forever? gently caress!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

mandatory lesbian posted:

i thought the free one only gave boots? or are there 2 DLC's and I missed one?

There's 5 free DLCs. One per week. The one out this week is the first villager's fork. The 4th week is the other. The 5th week is apparently unknown?

Detective No. 27 posted:

So I went the wrong way on the Celica path and those two Pegasus sisters left me. Are they gone forever? gently caress!

Go back to where you recruited them and they'll be there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

Go back to town and you can re-recruit them

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The 5th is a third fork.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phew.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

This dungeon I'm in is rough, yeesh. Went back in after I finally made it out to save and there's a battle with like 5 goddamn Necrodragons, two of which seem to be upgraded Necrodragons and OUCH.

All I can say is thank gently caress I'm playing on Casual, because this is messy. (It's the Path of the Living. The Mila statue did warn me not to go there unless my greed exceeds my desire to live. :v:)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Cuntellectual posted:

"With Mila's Divine Protection". You may have heard it in Super Smash Bros.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So it is! I didn't even recognize it, huh.

Endorph posted:

the complexity of love and how it can be warped, unrequited, or rendered meaningless is this game's entire theme. literally every character in the game up to and including slayde is motivated by love - familial, paternal, platonic, romantic, internal, external. it's the entire reason the whitewings are in this game. being able to play matchmaker would literally destroy the theme that gaiden had this entire time. im not saying it's an especially deep theme or that gaiden or echoes does a lot with it, but i'd rather a game have a theme that it actually sticks to, even if it's underdeveloped, than sacrifice it on the altar of shipping.

That's a fair position. I've just gotten used to Fire Emblem Shipping Simulator 20XX. I also found I liked Celica more when she was off doing her own thing.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 25, 2017

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
How badly can you gently caress up by making your units the wrong type? I havent been worrying too much about it but I made Faye a Pegasus Knight and Gray a Mercenary, instead of cleric and cavalry, thinking Faye would be like that generic Pegasus Knight you get early on in every FE, that becomes a glass cannon, but then in like the literal next map, I ended up recruiting that one girl who starts as a pegasus knight and is probably the glass cannon. I also made Tobin an archer and Kliff a mage. Now Im fighting a bunch of cavalry dudes and kinda like, peg knights dont hit hard enough and are low defense, so their extra mobility doesnt matter for much. Did I gently caress up?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Devoyniche posted:

How badly can you gently caress up by making your units the wrong type? I havent been worrying too much about it but I made Faye a Pegasus Knight and Gray a Mercenary, instead of cleric and cavalry, thinking Faye would be like that generic Pegasus Knight you get early on in every FE, that becomes a glass cannon, but then in like the literal next map, I ended up recruiting that one girl who starts as a pegasus knight and is probably the glass cannon. I also made Tobin an archer and Kliff a mage. Now Im fighting a bunch of cavalry dudes and kinda like, peg knights dont hit hard enough and are low defense, so their extra mobility doesnt matter for much. Did I gently caress up?

Faye is always good. You can turn one mercenary into a Good Unit by giving them the lightning sword (which you get early)--it really doesn't matter what their stats are at that point

Kliff is pretty good as a mage

Tobin might be kinda hosed though

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So I beat the main game, and now there's chapter 6 postgame. I'm kinda done to my satisfaction, is there more story now or is it just your typical postgame dungeon for folks who wanna keep playing?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bruceski posted:

So I beat the main game, and now there's chapter 6 postgame. I'm kinda done to my satisfaction, is there more story now or is it just your typical postgame dungeon for folks who wanna keep playing?

It's a series of boring, punishing boat maps followed by a dungeon which I never did when playing through the first time but is by all accounts terrible. There's a bit of plot which ties in with Awakening

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bruceski posted:

There's a bit of ~lore~ that is just a couple of sentences of text on the wall as well as a pretty surprising final boss.

I didn't, and won't, bother. v:v:v

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Devoyniche posted:

Tobin was fine as an archer for me, particularly since the Killer Bow has a double-attack art for lategame. People tend to reccomend mercs because they're a handy unit, brave swords are easy to come by for 50% and up crit rates, and their class bases in speed and skill make up for the low growths of a lot of characters, but really anyone can do well in any class depending on how you use them. Faye's the toughest choice because the mobility for peg knights is great but as a cleric she gets Physic and Rescue which are incredibly handy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I had Archer Tobin on my first run and he turned out decent. He was basically Python that was slightly faster with waaaay more skill, and having two archers is never a bad thing considering how busted Killer Bows are.

My rule of thumb is basically don't make Alm's friends knights or cavs, because you already get two each on that route.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

No, yeah the supports in Echoes are real bad and I have no idea why people keep holding them up as something the series should continue with.

Like did you people who like them read, off the top of my head; Kliff/Tobin, Lukas/Clive, Silique/Faye, Forscythe/Python, Atlas/Celica, Saber/Jesse etc. They were real bad and largely pointless and meandering on top of being really short.

Forsythe/Python is very good and Saber/Jesse is okay.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are some boring supports in echoes but there are also some good ones and im glad i dont have to trudge through 90 bad supports until i randomly hit the 10 good ones, is my take.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bruceski posted:

it's plot set-up for awakening. not spoilering that because lol.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bruceski posted:

Tobin was fine as an archer for me, particularly since the Killer Bow has a double-attack art for lategame. People tend to reccomend mercs because they're a handy unit, brave swords are easy to come by for 50% and up crit rates, and their class bases in speed and skill make up for the low growths of a lot of characters, but really anyone can do well in any class depending on how you use them. Faye's the toughest choice because the mobility for peg knights is great but as a cleric she gets Physic and Rescue which are incredibly handy.

I think mage Faye actually has a lot to recommend her. Physic and rescue are hard to give up but imo the thing Alm is missing most is offensive firepower, and that's what mage Faye brings to the table

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Supremezero posted:

There's 5 free DLCs. One per week. The one out this week is the first villager's fork. The 4th week is the other. The 5th week is apparently unknown?

ah, i see. thanks for letting me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i mean, I'm probably not using it but still, good to know.

• Locked thread