Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Total Meatlove posted:

There's one of the biggest events in Europe happening 10 miles down the road this week so you can expect a bit of jumpiness

Umm, SPFL playoff between Dundee United & Hamilton Academical is in Dundee mate, that's a bit more than down 10 miles down the road from Swansea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Umm, SPFL playoff between Dundee United & Hamilton Academical is in Dundee mate, that's a bit more than down 10 miles down the road from Swansea.

Newport is a bit more than 10 miles down the road from Swansea.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I loving hate the meme guy more than the racists

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

What event is Total Meatlove actually talking about?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

I loving hate the meme guy more than the racists

Good news! The meme guy is a racist. Possibly an ironic one but at this point I'm not sure there's any difference.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The NATO summit, where's the NATO summit???

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

What event is Total Meatlove actually talking about?

Selby is defending against Gonzalez tomorrow so maybe that one. It is a bit of a big deal.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Namtab posted:

The NATO summit, where's the NATO summit???

Brussels I think? I was in Cardiff for the Welsh one. It was weird seeing armed police and security checkpoints everywhere.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

Brussels I think? I was in Cardiff for the Welsh one. It was weird seeing armed police and security checkpoints everywhere.

Actual summit was in Newport as well.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

Good news! The meme guy is a racist. Possibly an ironic one but at this point I'm not sure there's any difference.

Ironic only as a defense if called on it at a later time. Don't believe their lies.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
if there's still a reading list:

road to wigan pier
in praise of idleness

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Wigan pier is pretty great, and In Praise of Idleness is short and makes for attractive reading.

Anyway I thought this bit of the Ragged Trousered Philantropists was pretty funny. Oh how the times have changed not:

quote:

'That's part of the great 'appiness an' prosperity wot Owen makes out Free Trade brings,' said Crass with a jeering laugh.

'I never said Free Trade brought happiness or prosperity,' said Owen.

'Well, praps you didn't say exactly them words, but that's wot it amounts to.'

I never said anything of the kind. We've had Free Trade for the last fifty years and today most people are living in a condition of more or less abject poverty, and thousands are literally starving. When we had Protection things were worse still. Other countries have Protection and yet many of their people are glad to come here and work for starvation wages. The only difference between Free Trade and Protection is that under certain circumstances one might be a little worse that the other, but as remedies for Poverty, neither of them are of any real use whatever, for the simple reason that they do not deal with the real causes of Poverty.'

'The greatest cause of poverty is hover-population,' remarked Harlow.

'Yes,' said old Joe Philpot. 'If a boss wants two men, twenty goes after the job: ther's too many people and not enough work.'

'Over-population!' cried Owen, 'when there's thousands of acres of uncultivated land in England without a house or human being to be seen. Is over-population the cause of poverty in France? Is over-population the cause of poverty in Ireland? Within the last fifty years the population of Ireland has been reduced by more than half. Four millions of people have been exterminated by famine or got rid of by emigration, but they haven't got rid of poverty. P'raps you think that half the people in this country ought to be exterminated as well.'

Here Owen was seized with a violent fit of coughing, and resumed his seat. When the cough had ceased he sat wiping his mouth with his handkerchief and listening to the talk that ensued.

'Drink is the cause of most of the poverty,' said Slyme.

This young man had been through some strange process that he called 'conversion'. He had had a 'change of 'art' and looked down with pious pity upon those he called 'worldly' people. He was not 'worldly', he did not smoke or drink and never went to the theatre. He had an extraordinary notion that total abstinence was one of the fundamental principles of the Christian religion. It never occurred to what he called his mind, that this doctrine is an insult to the Founder of Christianity.

'Yes,' said Crass, agreeing with Slyme, 'an' thers plenty of 'em wot's too lazy to work when they can get it. Some of the b--s who go about pleading poverty 'ave never done a fair day's work in all their bloody lives. Then thers all this new-fangled machinery,' continued Crass. 'That's wot's ruinin' everything. Even in our trade ther's them machines for trimmin' wallpaper, an' now they've brought out a paintin' machine. Ther's a pump an' a 'ose pipe, an' they reckon two men can do as much with this 'ere machine as twenty could without it.'

'Another thing is women,' said Harlow, 'there's thousands of 'em nowadays doin' work wot oughter be done by men.'

'In my opinion ther's too much of this 'ere eddication, nowadays,' remarked old Linden. 'Wot the 'ell's the good of eddication to the likes of us?'

'None whatever,' said Crass, 'it just puts foolish idears into people's 'eds and makes 'em too lazy to work.'

Barrington, who took no part in the conversation, still sat silently smoking. Owen was listening to this pitiable farrago with feelings of contempt and wonder. Were they all hopelessly stupid? Had their intelligence never developed beyond the childhood stage? Or was he mad himself?

'Early marriages is another thing,' said Slyme: 'no man oughtn't to be allowed to get married unless he's in a position to keep a family.'

'How can marriage be a cause of poverty?' said Owen, contemptuously. 'A man who is not married is living an unnatural life. Why don't you continue your argument a little further and say that the practice of eating and drinking is the cause of poverty or that if people were to go barefoot and naked there would be no poverty? The man who is so poor that he cannot marry is in a condition of poverty already.'

Obviously the parts mentioning the state of women's/family rights are a little dated, but it makes the whole thing more authentic.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 25, 2017

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

So the Lib Dem political party broadcast on BBC One tonight was a hastily recorded video of Tim Farron taking about what Manchester means to him. Nice sentiment but I'm expecting the media to be calling him out for politicising the events any moment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH4jRh2vbME

(To be clear I don't have a problem with the video, but the fact that it was bookended with "This is a party political broadcast from the Liberal Democrats" was a little unfortunate)

blunt fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 25, 2017

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

please do not recommend the works of literal anti-communist snitch george orwell in the ostensibly leftist thread

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

please do not recommend the works of literal anti-communist snitch george orwell in the ostensibly leftist thread

Homage to Catalonia is a good book about the pernicious ways of Stalinists, it should be required reading for everyone on the left.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
orwell actually went to kill fascists

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

His fiction is bad, his non-fiction is good, his actual politics were a mixed bag and often pretty reactionary.

edit: also, his oft-quoted essay on prose style gets more undeserved praise than his two trite allegories ever did

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

JFairfax posted:

orwell actually went to kill fascists

Yeah and the Stalinists tried to stop him because???

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TomViolence posted:

His fiction is bad, his non-fiction is good, his actual politics were a mixed bag and often pretty reactionary.

edit: also, his oft-quoted essay on prose style gets more undeserved praise than his two trite allegories ever did

he hated dali and hollywood

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Animal farm is good, fuckers

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/867838593548603393

Fieldwork done before the attack. Eight point Con lead, narrowest of the campaign so far.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
^ grrr

Yay polls finally reappearing -

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/867838593548603393

At least 1 more tonight, a Yougov one. These are probably polls done prior to the attack. Also expect UKIP to double their polling after the attack, given their 'message'.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

Animal farm is good, fuckers

i once saw a one man production of animal farm when at school.

went round a mates place before hand to smoke lungs of weed.

a lung is like a bin bag attached to a 2l coke bottle and you smoke the weed via that somehow I can't really remember

but it was about the first time I had been stoned in public and I got really really really loving high and a teacher was sitting next to me, and I was so loving high and paranoid and then there's this one man production of animal farm happening on stage.

fun times

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

JFairfax posted:

went round a mates place before hand to smoke lungs of weed.

a lung is like a bin bag attached to a 2l coke bottle and you smoke the weed via that somehow I can't really remember

but it was about the first time I had been stoned in public and I got really really really loving high and a teacher was sitting next to me, and I was so loving high and paranoid and then there's this one man production of animal farm happening on stage.

fun times
It's a good book to read

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Not So Fast posted:

Yeah and the Stalinists tried to stop him because???

Realtalk? Stalin wanted french support to isolate nazi germany. France didn't want a revolutionary spain next door. Stalin betrayed spain to keep cozy with france.

See you when i get out of cat gulag for dissing uncle joe.

E: should also say that the USSR had a proud history of loving over libertarian communists and anarchists within their own borders. The Makhnovists being just one major example.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 25, 2017

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Down and Out is a good book too. Has a bit of a feel of poverty tourism to it, but the picture he paints of the Paris neighbourhood he lives in is amazing. I don't know how accurate the character studies are but they're great as well.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I haven't had an Opinium survey about the election through for a while, but I did get a 12 page Tory leaflet through my letterbox. I say Tory because the only words that seemed to be repeated were THERESA MAY STRONG AND STABLE LEADERSHIP IN THE NATIONAL INTEREST in a layout eerily reminscent of Heat magazine, and the word "Conservative" only appears six times

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Reckon the next few weeks of polling will be dependant on whether or not having the Army and armed guards stomping about this place is taken as a good thing or if footage of Corbyn and various policemen pointing out the 19,000 less police under May and her time as Home Secretary picks up steam.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I feel that communism is good, but not when it's a dictatorship.

Also I voted.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

JFairfax posted:

Hey, snap.

It was really good, although there was a weird moment where everyone was so stunned at the interval that we forgot to clap.

I mean, that's why I didn't clap, I guess I can't speak for my classmates.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ukle posted:

At least 1 more tonight, a Yougov one. These are probably polls done prior to the attack. Also expect UKIP to double their polling after the attack, given their 'message'.

UKIP doing better would be a bad reflection of society, but actually quite good for Labour. A moral conundrum.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Paul.Power posted:

Hey, snap.

It was really good, although there was a weird moment where everyone was so stunned at the interval that we forgot to clap.

I mean, that's why I didn't clap, I guess I can't speak for my classmates.

I can't believe you were classmates

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Closing to 8 points from 17 (19 at the worst poll?) is really a fantastic effort. Speaking completely coldly, the Manchester attack has interrupted the "normal" news cycle but it's been pretty great for Corbyn the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

My one take away from seeing the army out in London today is that they all look so loving young.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the soviet union betrayed spain by being the only country to send aid of any kind to the republicans

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
gently caress

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/867848021182173185

5 Points in it. Fieldwork done today and yesterday.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Namtab posted:

I can't believe you were classmates
UKMT seems to have a fairly large Swansea contingent, it's not completely impossible :v:.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Oberleutnant posted:

Realtalk? Stalin wanted french support to isolate nazi germany. France didn't want a revolutionary spain next door. Stalin betrayed spain to keep cozy with france.

See you when i get out of cat gulag for dissing uncle joe.

E: should also say that the USSR had a proud history of loving over libertarian communists and anarchists within their own borders. The Makhnovists being just one major example.

I thought the soviets betrayed spain because they wanted all their gold?

Skinty McEdger posted:

My one take away from seeing the army out in London today is that they all look so loving young.

Soldiers always are. Film and TV gives the impression most infantrymen are grizzled men in their late 20s to mid 30s, but a majority of actual soldiers, from now and forever, will look like they've only just started shaving.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

ukle posted:

gently caress

Wait what the gently caress??? This is from today/yesterday??? After Manchester?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ukle posted:

gently caress

Well.

Well Well Well.

• Locked thread