Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Larrymer posted:

I did them for 6 hours, they could have used a little more but they were still good. Also next time I'll just get St. Louis or baby backs instead of spares, they were a little fatty. :btroll:

You know St. Louis is just full spares cut down, right?

Speaking of which, last time I did ribs I bought full spares. I'd sworn I'd see lots of people talk about not cutting them down to St. Louis, but I couldn't find anything at that moment so I just winged it and basically just left the rib tips on. I was kind of indifferent to this method though and am curious if anyone has any tips on either how to cut them or what to do with the extra meat when you do trim them down to St. Louis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Speaking of which, last time I did ribs I bought full spares. I'd sworn I'd see lots of people talk about not cutting them down to St. Louis, but I couldn't find anything at that moment so I just winged it and basically just left the rib tips on. I was kind of indifferent to this method though and am curious if anyone has any tips on either how to cut them or what to do with the extra meat when you do trim them down to St. Louis.

I googled how to do a St. Louis cut the first time my local butcher only had a shitton of unprepped racks, but since they were a lot cheaper, I just winged it and it turned out nicely. A large portion of the extra meat you can prepare just like the ribs, (it just won't look that appealing) and the rest I just completely trim of fat and cartilage and snack at different stages during the cook.

If you want to be more efficient about it, you can also plan some form of smoked stew alongside the cook and use the trimmed parts for it. I once used the trimmings for crispy burnt bits and made a delicious gravy from the juices I pulled before dumping them in the oven, since I was making some good ol' Schweinebraten and taters along with the ribs.

Be creative and do whatever works for you.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Yep, my problem with the ones I had is that the tips were pretty much inedible on the piece I had. Very fatty and I just threw most of it away. Wife's on the other hand, were just fine. :v:

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I usually cut those rib tips off and freeze them, then one day toss the whole thing in a crock pot with a bunch of beans and make baked beans with shredded rib meat in them. Just need to fish out the bones.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

McSpankWich posted:

I usually cut those rib tips off and freeze them, then one day toss the whole thing in a crock pot with a bunch of beans and make baked beans with shredded rib meat in them. Just need to fish out the bones.

Pretty much this. What beans do you use or expand on your recipe because that sounds drat good.

If I do St Louis style I'll trim my own spare ribs and freeze the tips for later. Funny thing is it is a lot harder than it looks on Youtube. Like buffalo wings.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Boston baked beans are traditionally navy beans. I've done similar with smoked chuck, pork shoulder and brisket with kidneys and pintos in a ranch/charro style.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Anybody got a good recipe for...... I don't know what you call them, the baked beans that are salty/spicy instead of sweet? With like onions and peppers and maybe bits of brisket in them and poo poo?

I think I'm going to make cream cheese and crab-stuffed jalapeņo poppers with my beef ribs on Memorial Day, assuming I can scrape together enough money. I remember making those some time last year and loving them.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It sounds like you want charro beans. Check out the bean thread as they have a ton of recipes for that.

I have a heavy chicano bias but here is a quick, dirty and mild version of the beans I make all the time:

2 cups of beans
1 diced white or yellow onion
4 ancho chilis
2-4 chipotles depending on the size
a few fresh chilis depending on what I have
2-3 diced medium size tomatoes
juices from two limes
Worcestershire sauce
fish sauce
a head of roasted garlic
3 tbsp cumin
3 tbsp paprika
cilantro bundle
2 tbsp brown sugar or molasses or white sugar or honey it all tastes good to me
bay leaf
chicken stock

Sautee the onions in some oil, add the spices and dried chilis when the onion has cooked down a little. Sometimes I just start the onions way early and let them caramelize. Add the fresh chilis, tomatoes, sugar, juice, W. sauce and fish sauce and let that simmer for a couple of minutes while stirring (this is where you can throw in the brisket). Add the beans, stock, bay leaf and cilantro. When it starts to simmer I turn the stove down so it'll cook low and slow. I take out the cilantro after about an hour.

If I'm smoking meat and making the beans at the same time then I'll reduce some of the liquids from the drip pan into a gravy and add it to the beans for extra smokiness. Adding the actual meat does the same thing. The smoke flavor can be overpowering though so be careful.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 23, 2017

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Pretty much this. What beans do you use or expand on your recipe because that sounds drat good.

Well like most things I do with BBQ there isn't exactly a solid recipe, but I'll give you the best rundown I can.

1lb Dried Roman Beans (because I bought a monstro sized bag at Sams Club and am working my way through them, you can use whatever, Navy I think is proper)
Trimmed Rib Tips
An Onion or so
Some Garlic
2ish Cups of Broth (chicken, beef, vegetable, whatever you have, you could even use the leftover bean soaking water don't do this)
1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup of Ketchup
1/4 Cup of Molasses (I use blackstrap usually, but whatever, could also sub honey probably)
1/4 Cup of Mustard
An amount of Apple Cider Vinegar (probably 2-3 tablespoons? I don't know)
Salt, Pepper, Cumin, Paprika, Homemade Chili Powder to your liking

Soak the beans overnight.
In the morning Sautee the onion for awhile in the bacon fat that was leftover from your breakfast, you could take them down just a little and let them soften in the pot, or you could wait like an hour and fully Caramelize them
Add the garlic after the onions are cooked to your liking and let them just perfume a little
Optional: Sear the rib tips in your cast iron until they get super brown and delicious
Dump everything into the crock pot and turn it on low for 8 hours
Fish out bones somehow (this is the hardest part, alternately you could cut them all up beforehand and take all the nasty bits out, but who wants to do that)

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 24, 2017

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Wish I could source some that were neither anemic or $$$$$$.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Bulk beans are dirty, don't use the soaking water in food.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So I've been asking question in the sous vide thread. Figured it's not the best place to ask about some of this stuff. Any who, I'm going to be cooking some Spare Ribs in my sous vide and wanted to know how I should dress them while I actually BBQ them for 2-3 hours. Should I dry rub. But bbq sauce on them? Suggestions?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

sterster posted:

So I've been asking question in the sous vide thread. Figured it's not the best place to ask about some of this stuff. Any who, I'm going to be cooking some Spare Ribs in my sous vide and wanted to know how I should dress them while I actually BBQ them for 2-3 hours. Should I dry rub. But bbq sauce on them? Suggestions?
call sous vide "BBQ" again motherfucker

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Vulture Culture posted:

call sous vide "BBQ" again motherfucker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Vvy9w70ao

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
You sons of bitches. Here I was expecting a helping hand across the aisle. So far I've made some brisket, pulled pork with the help of the sous vide and it's all come out tasting like delicious smoked meats. I'll go back to the puddling clan if you guys can't handle people not standing by a smoker for 12 hours with you. :shrug:

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

sterster posted:

You could use sous vide as the braising/wrapped/foiled step I suppose. So I would smoke for a nice smoky flavor, then seal it up with rub and some acidic liquid of choice (Beer & a little OJ isn't bad) and sous vide to your heart's content (keep it low enough to keep them firm for the next step), finally pull the ribs out and put a thin coat of BBQ sauce on them and place on a nice hot grill to turn the sauce into a nice glaze and get a little bark back on the outside of the meat.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

sterster posted:

Kenji did sous vide ribs some time ago. It's as good a place to start as any.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

sterster posted:

You sons of bitches. Here I was expecting a helping hand across the aisle. So far I've made some brisket, pulled pork with the help of the sous vide and it's all come out tasting like delicious smoked meats. I'll go back to the puddling clan if you guys can't handle people not standing by a smoker for 12 hours with you. :shrug:

They weren't being entirely serious, friend.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

sterster posted:

I'll go back to the puddling clan if you guys can't handle people not standing by a smoker for 12 hours with you. :shrug:

This reminds me I just wanna repeat how awesome remote probe thermometers are and holy poo poo how did I ever live without one.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I'm sving my ribs at 140f for 24 hours before smoking really low for 4 hours.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

What's the theory in SV'ing before smoking? Everything I've read indicates that meat generally stops taking on much smoke after a certain temperature (140-160f). It would seem like smoking first and then throwing it in the bath might work better? What does the bath do to improve spareribs over just smoking?

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

What's the theory in SV'ing before smoking? Everything I've read indicates that meat generally stops taking on much smoke after a certain temperature (140-160f). It would seem like smoking first and then throwing it in the bath might work better? What does the bath do to improve spareribs over just smoking?

The 140-160 range thing is more when the meat will take on a smoke ring. Meat will continue to absorb the smoke through the whole cooking process. It's why crutching briskets tend to make them less smokey.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I would think the bark wouldn't form properly.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Duzzy Funlop posted:

They weren't being entirely serious, friend.

I didn't take it seriously.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Yes getting smoke on meat after it's been cooked is a lot more difficult. I've found the more flavorful/stronger the smoke the easier it is to get that to impart flavor on the meat. Woods like Hickory & Mesquite work better then apple or cherry I've found. As for something like the smoke ring, this is something that you will not get unless you add curing salts or something to the meat which will simulate that nice pink ring. However, it's completely cosmetic and doesn't effect the taste.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I would think the bark wouldn't form properly.
I've had no problem forming a bark after SV'ing however, if you are talking about doing it after smoking to start you'd have to throw them back on the smoke to get some of it back as the juices in the bag will cause the bark to be soft.

Just for you guys if you want to see some SV meats here is some pork. This was 24hr in bag and 3hrs smoke.

sterster posted:

So the sous vide pork came out good. This was my first time smoking and it was on a gas grill. Could of had more smoke flavor but the pork was fine. It was super juicy too. As for salt I cut it from 3 Tbs to 2. Sorry for the images being out of order.
gallery http://imgur.com/a/W6u9T

Brisket before I knew anything. 36hr cook 3 hours smoke.

sterster posted:

As promised here is my brisket. I think I added to much rub (salt & pepper, could have done with less pepper IMO). Overall it came out texture wise pretty good. Mother in law thought it was amazing and that I should open my own restaurant lol. Everyone else like it a lot though. Then again it's hard to get good feedback from people who you are directly associated with and I'm my own worst critic. I've got a lot more to learn about cooking this I think as far as how much fat to keep when I cut it. I'd prefer soemthing not so much salt/pepper based rub too. But, this comes with experience.

If you smoking guys have any questions on my SV experience I'd be happy to answer them. Additionally, I'm doing the flat of the brisket from above this weekend and can take better pictures or try anything you guys want to know.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Meat generally stops absorbing smoke flavor at 140 internal. Maybe you could smoke it to 140, SV until done and then just grill it hot and fast to finish?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I love SV but I don't understand applying it to smoked BBQ.

Pork tenderloins and tri tip and such, I get it. I just can't understand the appeal when the goal is low and slow with smoke.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I can totally get why you would want to puddle ribs before getting some smoke on them, but I guess what I don't get it why you would do it with the method you are. The point of a long low temp SV is to break collagen down into gelatin at a low enough temp that the protein itself is still med/rare - medium and juicy. It's a great trick.

When you put them on the smoker for 2-3 hours after though, you're going to be getting them well above 160 and losing all/most of that moisture, completely invalidating the whole reason to SV first. With that, what is the benefit you are trying to achieve out of your method?

Edit: I'd probably chill them, sauce them, then toss in with heavy smoke for about an hour, or until a probe reads back at 140, then blast on a hot grill for a minute to crisp the bark. The sauce on the outside will help pick up more smoke flavor.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 25, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

sellouts posted:

Pork tenderloins and tri tip and such, I get it. I just can't understand the appeal when the goal is low and slow with smoke.

It seems like way more hassle to switch over from boiling to smoking or vice versa and the benefits over just putting it in the oven seem dubious. Fiddling with the daisy vent and adding some wood every so often isn't that big a deal is it?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to try my hand at this recipe on Monday for my first adventure smoking: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/apricot-glazed-barbecue-pork-ribs-recipe.html

Now, I have never done this before so please bear with me. I have this smoker: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009NU5YY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_qWVjzbP787RTE. As far as operation as a smoker, I'm planning on starting some charcoal in the side firebox and putting unsoaked wood chunks on once the coals have started to turn white. At this point, should I close the air vent on the side of the side firebox? Or should I leave it partially open? Also, should the chimney be covered or uncovered during cooking/should I modulate that for temperature control?

I was planning on purchasing some lump charcoal and chunks of smoking wood. I live in a big city, so I should be able to find both of those things in a big box hardware store, right?

Sorry for the seemingly stupid questions. I don't want to be at this for 16 hours on Monday because I didn't know what I was doing.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
i must be doing something right since i've been lately getting invites to go to people's houses, with the caveat "oh, can you bring a brisket with you?"

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Lawnie posted:

I'm going to try my hand at this recipe on Monday for my first adventure smoking: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/apricot-glazed-barbecue-pork-ribs-recipe.html

Now, I have never done this before so please bear with me. I have this smoker: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009NU5YY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_qWVjzbP787RTE. As far as operation as a smoker, I'm planning on starting some charcoal in the side firebox and putting unsoaked wood chunks on once the coals have started to turn white. At this point, should I close the air vent on the side of the side firebox? Or should I leave it partially open? Also, should the chimney be covered or uncovered during cooking/should I modulate that for temperature control?

I was planning on purchasing some lump charcoal and chunks of smoking wood. I live in a big city, so I should be able to find both of those things in a big box hardware store, right?

Sorry for the seemingly stupid questions. I don't want to be at this for 16 hours on Monday because I didn't know what I was doing.

Good thing never to soak your wood, it doesn't do anything. You should aim for mostly clear (blue) smoke as this indicates a better combustion and less nasty flavor. Grey smoke bad, white smoke ok, blueish smoke best.

Get a good fire going, make sure your temperature where the meat is going to be is a stable 225 and then add the wood chips. Close the vent partially so the fire doesn't roar,but not all the way so you don't starve the fire and make grey smoke.

You should really practice first to make sure you can get a steady temp after adding the wood and don't see any spikes. This may involve adding less charcoal initially.

Also be aware that after the third hour any smoke you get will have little to no effect on the flavor of the meat as it cannot be absorbed any more so any wood is just being wasted. The rest of the time you are slow cooking to your target internal temp the internal fats are rendering.

I highly recommend a wireless thermometer, with one indicator showing your smoke box temp, and one indicating your meat temp. This is a really good one, but more basic models will serve just as well. https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wir...CZY7KW514YMMSDZ

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Cimber posted:

Also be aware that after the third hour any smoke you get will have little to no effect on the flavor of the meat as it cannot be absorbed any more so any wood is just being wasted.

This isn't true and I don't know why a bunch of people say this.. As others have mentioneded, crutched meat is less smoky than unwrapped meat. Most of the smoke flavor is imparted during that inital period but it doesn't stop and the bark doesn't stop forming either. You can also easily oversmoke something using more assertive woods because, again, the smoke keeps infusing the meat.

I agree with everything else though.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This isn't true and I don't know why a bunch of people say this.. As others have mentioneded, crutched meat is less smoky than unwrapped meat. Most of the smoke flavor is imparted during that inital period but it doesn't stop and the bark doesn't stop forming either. You can also easily oversmoke something using more assertive woods because, again, the smoke keeps infusing the meat.

I agree with everything else though.

Well I'll be damed, you are right.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html

quote:

Does meat stop taking on smoke?

There is a popular myth that at some point the meat stops taking on smoke. Sorry, but meat does not have doors that it shuts at some time during a cook. There is a lot of smoke moving through the cooking chamber although sometimes it is not very visible. If the surface is cold or wet, more of it sticks. Usually, late in the cook, the bark gets pretty warm and dry, and by then the coals are not producing a lot of smoke. Smoke bounces off warm dry surfaces so we are fooled into thinking the meat is somehow saturated with smoke. Throw on a log and baste the meat and it will start taking on smoke again. Just don't baste so often that you wash off the smoke and rub.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Doom Rooster posted:

When you put them on the smoker for 2-3 hours after though, you're going to be getting them well above 160 and losing all/most of that moisture, completely invalidating the whole reason to SV first. With that, what is the benefit you are trying to achieve out of your method?

Edit: I'd probably chill them, sauce them, then toss in with heavy smoke for about an hour, or until a probe reads back at 140, then blast on a hot grill for a minute to crisp the bark. The sauce on the outside will help pick up more smoke flavor.
Thanks for the suggestions. As for loosing a bunch of moister, I haven't found that to be the case. Maybe just on the outside where the bark builds up. I've also had someone who regularly smoke try some of both the brisket and the pulled pork both of which he said were on par with something he would make both in texture and moisture. Salt in the rub during SV helps the meat retain some of the moisture.

sellouts posted:

I'm doing it because I have a gas grill and it's not the easiest thing to use. These were my first attempts at low/slow and it seems an easy way to cook. I just set it in the sv for 24hr or what ever then I only have to do 2hr of smoke. Perhaps in the future I'll convert and go full on smoker.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

Good thing never to soak your wood, it doesn't do anything. You should aim for mostly clear (blue) smoke as this indicates a better combustion and less nasty flavor. Grey smoke bad, white smoke ok, blueish smoke best.

Get a good fire going, make sure your temperature where the meat is going to be is a stable 225 and then add the wood chips. Close the vent partially so the fire doesn't roar,but not all the way so you don't starve the fire and make grey smoke.

You should really practice first to make sure you can get a steady temp after adding the wood and don't see any spikes. This may involve adding less charcoal initially.

Also be aware that after the third hour any smoke you get will have little to no effect on the flavor of the meat as it cannot be absorbed any more so any wood is just being wasted. The rest of the time you are slow cooking to your target internal temp the internal fats are rendering.

I highly recommend a wireless thermometer, with one indicator showing your smoke box temp, and one indicating your meat temp. This is a really good one, but more basic models will serve just as well. https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wir...CZY7KW514YMMSDZ

Thanks for these tips, especially the thermometer recommendation. I have a thermapen for in-process checks, but both my probe thermometers have gone to hell, so this looks like a nice replacement.

I should have enough time to try out a couple hours of smoke production tomorrow night, will report back with questions if I have any.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Lawnie posted:

Thanks for these tips, especially the thermometer recommendation. I have a thermapen for in-process checks, but both my probe thermometers have gone to hell, so this looks like a nice replacement.

I should have enough time to try out a couple hours of smoke production tomorrow night, will report back with questions if I have any.

No problem. YOu don't want to keep opening the lid on the smoker if you can at all help it, so the remote probes really help. Make sure you practice tomorrow, you don't want to be learning the smoker while having actual meat on the grill, its a quick way to get bad food.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used my Thermoworks Smoke this weekend for the first time. I'm extremely pleased. The base unit is bigger than the Maverick it is replacing, which means I can read it from my kitchen window with it sitting next to my akorn on the deck. Programming is super straightforward (I never learned the Maverick programming, had to figure poo poo out every time I used it), and feels very well built. It has high and low temp alarms for both probes, and also tracks high and low temps registered during a cook. It comes with a food probe and a grill probe with clip. According to them it is also ready for their yet to be released bluetooth accessory that will include some sort of app integration.

Really it is every bit as good as other Thermoworks product I own, and if I were in the market for a remote grill thermometer I wouldn't consider anything else.

edit: To be clear, I bought this because my Maverick finally broke, like several of you told me it would.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 25, 2017

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Lawnie posted:

Just a heads up, if you're not strict about which color you get the Maverick's can be found for cheaper if you look around Amazon. Here's the green 733 with free bear claws included for $10 less than that link.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Just a heads up, if you're not strict about which color you get the Maverick's can be found for cheaper if you look around Amazon. Here's the green 733 with free bear claws included for $10 less than that link.

I'm not picky at all! Good looking out, thanks. And I definitely needed some more gadgetry, so bear claws are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
On memorial day, I'm going to be doing a side-by-side of sous vide ribs and smoker ribs.

For the smoker ribs, I'm looking at Meathead's Last Meal Ribs:
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html
Here's his rub:

quote:

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup American paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

For the sous vide ribs I was looking at ChefSteps' Smokerless smoked ribs:
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/smokerless-smoked-ribs-incredible-barbecue-no-smoker-required
Rub:

quote:

100g Paprika
50g Yellow mustard seed
30g Garlic flake
25g Black pepper
10g Onion flake
10g Cumin
200g Brown sugar
(It also uses liquid smoke separately as a marinade.)

Question: to make the comparisons closer, do you think I could just replace ChefSteps' spice rub with Meatheads's spice rub in the sous vide ribs?