Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Snak posted:

Yeah, it's hard to pick a favorite character on this show when they're all so loving funny.

Well, Jian Yang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
I work for a tech startup and don't find it particularly realistic in terms of the situation I've been in. In any case, treading plot water just makes the show stale after a while.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The problem is that the story seems to be just spinning and nothing [lasting] is ever happening. They're still in startup mode with a million dollar idea struggling to get money to build that million dollar idea. Every win they make ends up being one or two steps back.

At some point it just gets really boring and I wish they'd actually do something lasting. Or hell, I wish they would show us how much of a genius this algorithm/Richard supposedly is instead of constantly telling us over and over "trust me, it's great, it's tremendous, it'll make technology great again."

Don't get me wrong the show is hilarious cause the actors kill it but at this point I can't really say that the story is actually good because it's in the same exact state as it was in in season one.

Also whenever it seems like they're going to introduce an interesting new character to the group they just nope it out pretty quickly for some reason, like Carla or Dinesh's hacker girlfriend who ended up being kind of crazy.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

quote:

Teller ended the meeting by standing up in a huff, but his attempt at a dramatic exit was marred by the fact that he was wearing Rollerblades. He wobbled to the door in silence.

I worked for Astro Teller for 5 years and I can completely see him doing this.

Edit: Apparently there's a photo :v:

geeves fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 25, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Renewed for a 5th season!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Vulture is reporting that Jian Yang will kill Erlich by the end of the season.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I thought this was a joke but TJ Miller is really not coming back.

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 25, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't know how this is going to affect the show to be honest. First season I would be devastated, but now I really don't think losing any one member of the cast will ruin the show outright.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Who is Jian Yang going to call a stupid, fat, lying rear end in a top hat now?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

404notfound posted:

Who is Jian Yang going to call a stupid, fat, lying rear end in a top hat now?

jian yang is going to become the next season's erlich

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Wow, I don't think this show will be anywhere near as good without him.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Nooooooo! Why?!?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That's too bad. TJ Miller is maybe the best part of this show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
probably making 10x more money sitting in a voice booth

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Erlich is probably my least favorite character. He's kind of a one note joke and that joke has started to wane. On a series rewatch you really start to feel it.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
to be perfectly honest, the best Erlich got was very early on in Season 1 when he went on the shroom vision quest and sat in the desert babbling techno jargon while hallucinating logos. that is still probably the funniest scene in the show to me.

technologeeeezus...oh gently caress!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nope, he's still the best.

edit: ^ just watched that episode. The best part isn't even the vision quest, it's when he comes back having kidnapped that kid who he thinks is himself from the future.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They've still got a great cast, and the jokes are sharp, and they recovered well when Peter Gregory's actor died, but it's still a big blow.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If it's like when Gregory's actor died they're just gonna hire someone else to be almost exactly the same type of character.......am I sensing Russ Hanneman moving up to a starring role?!?!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did he decide to leave or did they decide for him to leave? My favorite moment is his long rant where he was guessing what old people things Jack Barker liked.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cojawfee posted:

Did he decide to leave or did they decide for him to leave? My favorite moment is his long rant where he was guessing what old people things Jack Barker liked.

FYI if you havent seen it there is a longer uncut version of that online and I remember it being minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_DSOnOQnuk

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Nooooooooo! Are they done shooting for the season? Are they going to be able to write him off in a good way?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Nooooooooo! Are they done shooting for the season? Are they going to be able to write him off in a good way?

I already said, Jian Yang is going to murder him.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't want that to happen because then won't Jian Yang have to go away too?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I realize this is a goofy comedy show but that still seems like a kinda massive spoiler no?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I wasn't gonna say anything, but it's pretty lame.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Casting doesn't count as spoilers per the rules

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Do you guys really think that Jian Yiang is going to murder Erlich

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Cojawfee posted:

Did he decide to leave or did they decide for him to leave?

https://mobile.twitter.com/KateAurthur/status/867817422538981376

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ALFbrot posted:

It would be pretty funny but no I don't think that was a real spoiler.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

No, I just thought it would be a funny way to announce the news.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

TJ Miller, this is you as an old man. I'm ugly and I'm unemployed.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
elrich, out of money, decides to sell the house. its bought cash under the guise of foreign investment. the deal goes through and it was jian-yang the entire time. elrich tries to claim squatter's rights but jian-yang has figured out a way to kick him out.

elrich becomes a bum who from time to time shows up and dispenses wisdom.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

anime was right posted:

elrich, out of money, decides to sell the house. its bought cash under the guise of foreign investment. the deal goes through and it was jian-yang the entire time. elrich tries to claim squatter's rights but jian-yang has figured out a way to kick him out.

elrich becomes a bum who from time to time shows up and dispenses wisdom.

Or he goes to China to become a "Professional White Person" and ends up being their Jerry Lewis or something.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/KateAurthur/status/867818801835802624

(OP is a Buzzfeed media reporter)

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Someone brought piss to a poo poo fight.

Depressing. I really like TJ Miller, though I've heard rumors he's a pretty big prick for awhile now. He seems pretty awesome in interviews, but I guess that's still a persona on some level. TJ Miller S1 would have been a devastating blow to the show. Since then he's still been great, and usually has one epic scene per season that justifies him, but he's probably the one character I'd least miss at this point. Still will be missed.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I wonder if this means the end of the Aviato/Pied Piper house.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

empty baggie posted:

I wonder if this means the end of the Aviato/Pied Piper house.

I hope that​ Jian Yang somehow owns the house next. Either because he somehow inherits it, or through some kind if squatter law.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Snak posted:

I hope that​ Jian Yang somehow owns the house next. Either because he somehow inherits it, or through some kind if squatter law.

im pretty sure he could just... buy it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Prediction: Erlich dies in a palapa fire caused by Jian Yang celebration-smoking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Murdered by bigheads dad.

• Locked thread