Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just the head, too, an almost impotent version of a powerful, famous-slash-infamous SMT demon. Up to you what you read into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The night to make tools is kinda handy because you can usually make enough lockpicks to pick up any locked chests you might have missed on the first run.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

PMush Perfect posted:

Just the head, too, an almost impotent version of a powerful, famous-slash-infamous SMT demon. Up to you what you read into that.

It's just the tip of the iceberg?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This really isn't a hard one

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I'll admit, that's earlier than I expected fuckin' Mara to show up! Although, it's more like...half of Mara? Did he leave the chariot at home?

e: I seem to have been beaten to the punch/blind to potential symbolism.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I take it mini-Mara doesn't have a Persona name because it's a one off miniboss enemy that we'll never have the chance to recruit?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

vdate posted:

I'll admit, that's earlier than I expected fuckin' Mara to show up! Although, it's more like...half of Mara? Did he leave the chariot at home?

e: I seem to have been beaten to the punch/blind to potential symbolism.

It might be a reference to some previous SMT where it was similarly hobbled. Mara Slime or something like that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I have to wonder what the hell a "Nude Candle Stand" is. Because I highly doubt that it's just a weird roundabout way to say "a candle stand without a candle in it".

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
you wouldnt believe how many people walked into a gameover because of the calling card deadline being one day before the actual deadline

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, just to ask, Arist, would you recommend going into the Palace early in the allotted time, somewhere in the middle, or at the end of it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

PMush Perfect posted:

you should be able to tell at a glans

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I usually go early just to get it out of the way. Here it makes sense to go now because of Confidant stuff like getting Baton Pass for Ryuji and two rainy days in a row limiting your options.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
For the interest of the W-u word, are you going to poll the one after all the candidates are known or keep it secret all the way?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My current thought is that I'll probably just choose one and yeah, keep it secret. Doing a poll would require me to hold back on maxing a lot of the Confidants for an absurd length of time, and also there's a few options there that I refuse to even entertain the possibility of picking.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Arist posted:

also there's a few options there that I refuse to even entertain the possibility of picking.

Having recently looked up a bunch of the Confidants and their romantic conclusions on YouTube, I will admit to being curious about which ones you would never pick, but I guess that would be spoilers.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

hosed up that you're refusing the cat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Having recently looked up a bunch of the Confidants and their romantic conclusions on YouTube, I will admit to being curious about which ones you would never pick, but I guess that would be spoilers.

Trying to romance Sojiro would be super weird.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'll say this much: one of them's a character I got two ranks into the Confidant of and then ignored because I thought they were a terrible person, and another was a character I did like who we won't meet for a while. Those aren't the only two though.

That's still vague enough that it could include multiple people though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Really Pants posted:

you should be able to tell at a glans

Well played. :golfclap:

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dude789 posted:

The night to make tools is kinda handy because you can usually make enough lockpicks to pick up any locked chests you might have missed on the first run.

That's pretty much what I always do. You're sometimes a lockpick or two short, but you'll usually make enough that you'll sweep the chests easily enough.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

GoneRampant posted:

That's pretty much what I always do. You're sometimes a lockpick or two short, but you'll usually make enough that you'll sweep the chests easily enough.

and then go crazy for trying to soft reset for that magic +3 proficiency

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't know why I'm even asking this, but I might as well: I recorded two takes of the next boss fight. Do you guys want to see the one where I gently caress up and almost die or the one where I do a good job because I'm a cool guy?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Arist posted:

I don't know why I'm even asking this, but I might as well: I recorded two takes of the next boss fight. Do you guys want to see the one where I gently caress up and almost die or the one where I do a good job because I'm a cool guy?

Yes.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Arist posted:

Both, but turn the first one into a "what not to do" guide and the other into more straitforward commentary. Do just video and a paragraph describing your mistakes for the former and a more standard format for the latter.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Arist posted:

Yes.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

AweStriker posted:

It might be a reference to some previous SMT where it was similarly hobbled. Mara Slime or something like that.

This version of Mara first showed up in SMT 3: Nocturne, where he was summoned by a Baphomet at the request of two manikins.

They of course were a bit too impatient and so they told the Baphomet to hurry it up which then caused Mara to be summoned in the terrible state we see here instead of the Glorious Peniswagon which we all know and love(?).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You cheeky motherfuckers.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Koorisch posted:

This version of Mara first showed up in SMT 3: Nocturne, where he was summoned by a Baphomet at the request of two manikins.

They of course were a bit too impatient and so they told the Baphomet to hurry it up which then caused Mara to be summoned in the terrible state we see here instead of the Glorious Peniswagon which we all know and love(?).

I have to admit, I laughed when I saw Slime-Mara show up and was NOT expecting that. We of course, will see ACTUAL Mara later. And by later, I mean "Near End Game"

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Arist posted:

You gotta Goofus and Gallant it, man

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I want to see the "almost die" version because it's most fitting for a boss fight.

Re: what you can do on a night before sending a calling card, I think you can also make coffee, but you probably know this and won't spoil it for the people who haven't unlocked Sojiro's Slink yet.

For the big W question: All of them for the extra scene. If you wanna do a poll you can probably wait until late October to ask us.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

The good take, and just comment throughout it about how an incompetent buffoon would totally select the wrong attack or heal the boss unlike a cool games master like yourself. :cool:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Out of curiosity, what difficulty are you playing on? I wasn't able to beat the guy on Hard until level 11--all 3 other party members get critical skills there.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Since you mentioned missing the arcade's SP items because they weren't in the guide you are using, know that there are some additional ones available that are also not mentioned in most guides. I believe you can eventually get a total of 7 a week if you hunt and peck about.

Thanks for teaching me about the scratch-off lottery booth, it's great how many tiny details there still are to see after multiple playthroughs!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Go for the bad recording. LPs that always do everything perfectly tend to make the game seem boring unless that requires a lot of weird skill or preparation.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Out of curiosity, what difficulty are you playing on? I wasn't able to beat the guy on Hard until level 11--all 3 other party members get critical skills there.

7 on Merciless was enough for me.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Arist posted:

You cheeky motherfuckers.

OK but did you really expect any other answer? At least for the first boss it would legitimately be interesting to get the skin-of-your-teeth experience in addition to the one where everything goes smooth.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Use the bad recording, but use screenshots from the good one and comment on how you'd never make mistake x, y, or z

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
so if I understand correctly, you do train-ride in, school, then send the card, get sent home, and the next day it jumps you directly into the dungeon? So basically don't do it on any two days where you might want to do something else.

I really got annoyed in previous games where it won't let me pack in my days, but that's usually cause I'm trying to 100% from the start like an idiot.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

vdate posted:

OK but did you really expect any other answer? At least for the first boss it would legitimately be interesting to get the skin-of-your-teeth experience in addition to the one where everything goes smooth.

Indeed, and this is an SMT game we speak of, after all; it just wouldn't be right if you portrayed it as an effortless experience with no loss or scary bits. Other bosses, use your discretion, but here? It'd be more informative to see both.

vv Only if you do things exactly right, and even then, all it takes is a knockdown on one character before a good run spirals into failure. Being feast or famine to the degree this game is doesn't make it particularly easy.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This game is not hard though